Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I don't really understand how you manage to put Olivia in the line of fire. The maps may be small, but when you have your Frederick and Marth out in front, Olivia and Klein never really have to be in the frontlines. It's pretty much the same thing in other FE games, isn't it?

Did you even read my post? OLIVIA IS NEVER ON THE FRONTLINES. And simply "not being on the frontlines" doesn't make her immune to archers and mages. I don't understand how people DON'T manage to keep her unharmed.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 77.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I'm sure a lot of people are having a ton of fun coming up with the most disgusting builds out there, but I've never really been fond of "build-your-monster" mechanics, since I just prefer making do with what I have and get.

I mean, that's what you do.

I favor L&D all-in builds since I have a lot of Hanas and good glass-cannon candidates on my main account. My Selena on the same account is +Def\-Hp, too, hence the tanky build.

Edit:

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Did you even read my post? OLIVIA IS NEVER ON THE FRONTLINES. And simply "not being on the frontlines" doesn't make her immune to archers and mages. I don't understand how people DON'T manage to get her killed.

I use Azura, who has Olivia's stat spread, except with worse bulk. She's better out of the box with Gem weapon and +3 spd (to prevent doubles), but fury or +3 speed (or even L&D 1) and gem weapon do the same thing.

My team is full of people who can 1RKO, so there's never enough enemy density to threaten my dancer, and those that ARE close enough are reds I'm using her to kill. (Or greens you're using Olivia to kill.)

Edited by DehNutCase

Just now, Anacybele said:

Did you even read my post? OLIVIA IS NEVER ON THE FRONTLINES. And simply "not being on the frontlines" doesn't make her immune to archers and mages.

Being within range of enemy attacks IS the frontline.

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Uh, what? No, it isn't. Being on the frontlines is just that, being on the front line. Not behind it. And Olivia can't always stay out of enemy range if she's going right next to your units to dance them.

Lol

Unless they have reposition and you end up looking like a moron because you didn't realize they had it and you end up with 1 unit instead of 4 in one turn.

Ahhh

Those were the noob days :rolleyes:

Did you even read my post? OLIVIA IS NEVER ON THE FRONTLINES. And simply "not being on the frontlines" doesn't make her immune to archers and mages. I don't understand how people DON'T manage to get her killed.

It takes some planning, but if you keep track of the enemy range it's manageble. The pay off is often worth it, although I don't use her in the arena because she would lower my score.

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Lol

Unless they have reposition and you end up looking like a moron because you didn't realize they had it and you end up with 1 unit instead of 4 in one turn.

Ahhh

Those were the noob days :rolleyes:

These days it's all wings of mercy Hector copters.

(I have no issue with WoM, personally, since glass cannons are good at taking people 100 to 0.)

Edit:

1 minute ago, Bartozio said:

It takes some planning, but if you keep track of the enemy range it's manageble. The pay off is often worth it, although I don't use her in the arena because she would lower my score.

+10 4* Olivia is better score than 5* +2 IRRC, so she's actually better for score, since you can +10 a 4* a lot easier than you can +2 a 5* only.

Edited by DehNutCase

Just now, Bartozio said:

She would lower my score too, actually, since she's not lv. 40 and thus has lower stats than my actual lv. 40 units.

Just now, DehNutCase said:

(I have no issue with WoM, personally, since glass cannons are good at taking people 100 to 0.)

Hector-Copter......

We need a picture of Hector in his attacking animation attached to a helicopter hovering over a Sharena (or someone) getting ready to kill them.

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, what? No, it isn't. Being on the frontlines is just that, being on the front line. Not behind it. And Olivia can't always stay out of enemy range if she's going right next to your units to dance them.

Dancing is powerful since you can accelerate 2RKOs, kill two enemies on the same turn, or just hit and run, but you still have to play somewhat conservatively. When you dance with Olivia, if you end up in a situation where your Dancer would be in range of the enemy, with no one to cover her, then you probably shouldn't have gone for that play to begin with honestly, since there's no point to all of that if you put your Dancer in danger (unless you're sure she'll survive).

@Arcanite 

Spoiler

11nsgauaejmy.jpg?w=656

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Dancing is powerful since you can accelerate 2RKOs, kill two enemies on the same turn, or just hit and run, but you still have to play somewhat conservatively. When you dance with Olivia, if you end up in a situation where your Dancer would be in range of the enemy, with no one to cover her, then you probably shouldn't have gone for that play to begin with honestly, since there's no point to all of that if you put your Dancer in danger (unless you're sure she'll survive).

I know what dancing does, you don't have to tell me. But your dancer also has to be in range of your units to be able to dance them at all, and sometimes that will force you to put said dancer in enemy range too. Olivia can't survive much.

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Hector-Copter......

We need a picture of Hector in his attacking animation attached to a helicopter hovering over a Sharena (or someone) getting ready to kill them.

That, or just him flying in the air [Marvel] Thor style. Spinning Armads over his head for maximum effect.

I know what dancing does, you don't have to tell me. But your dancer also has to be in range of your units to be able to dance them at all, and sometimes that will force you to put said dancer in enemy range too. Olivia can't survive much.

That's why you have to be sure that if you Dance while within enemy range, either the danced unit can take care of whoever can hit the Dancer, or you have someone else to block the tiles that your Dancer can be attacked from. Otherwise there's no point. Just back away.

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Edit:

+10 4* Olivia is better score than 5* +2 IRRC, so she's actually better for score, since you can +10 a 4* a lot easier than you can +2 a 5* only.

I guess that is true, but as a F2P noob I don't have that many Olivia's...

I also didn't want to imply people should not use her in the arena in general. Training her is also somewhat annoying since she doesn't get experience from healing. I use her on GHB maps and such, but I don't feel like puttin in the effort to make her viable for an arena team when my current team can get 4k+ scores consistently and she wouldn't let me rank much higher. I might put in that effort if I have really good units to go along side her though.

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Again with fucking Olivia? Why do people keep telling me to use her? All she does is die too. Especially mine because she's -spd and gets doubled by everything. No, I'm not putting her in the front lines, mages and archers kill her. I'm through using her for anything but training tower help, so no, she is not going on any of my arena teams. I'm not wasting feathers on a 2 star one either and she's not even available as a hero battle today. If I want a dancer, I'll wait until I pull an Azura. She's the only one that seems worth it to me.

Also, I'm not sure how I'd even fit a dancer on my teams. I need Frederick for armors, Marth for dragons, and male Robin for Takumis and other archers that are a threat. Klein is my newest switch-in for the fourth member.

I already gave Klein Swap, but he doesn't have enough SP for it yet.

I'm not good enough at math to use it. So I don't use it.

What is with your attitude? Azura actually has worse defensive stats than Olivia (Olivia has the same HP, 6 more defense, and only two less resistance. A 4* Olivia still has two more Defense than Azura.) The only reason people use Azura over Olivia is because her Sapphire Lance allows her to wall swords (which you said is not the thing killing your Olivia.) Olivia can inherit an easy Ruby Sword from a Stahl or something to let her wall greens too. Also, Fury is an excellent skill to put on a dancer (as a side note.) It really helps them avoid being killed in one round, which is the biggest problem for them.

From the team you mentioned here, Frederick is the redundant one. He's only there for armours. Armours only have 1 move, so it's easy for them to fall behind the rest of their team. So, you can usually deal with them last. Marth covers dragons, but he also easily deals with Hector and Sheena (if he runs low on HP, just have everyone run away for a few turns until Falchion healing kills in.) Just let the armors attack him so you avoid Hector's Quick Riposte. Robin + a dancer deals with Effie and Draug easily (Robin attacks them, Olivia dances him to safety. Repeat until the armour goes down.) Realistically, you'll only see Hector and Effie. Klein gives you a safe player-phase way to deal with mages (he can also kill Effie in two-rounds as well.)

Fire Emblem is a game where all the important numbers are simple enough that you can do the calculations yourself. It's basic arithmetic. If you're not good at that, then practice. Being able to do basic arithmetic in your head is a useful skill, not just for this game, but in life in general. If you want to continue playing this game and get better, learning how to do the basic calculations behind the game will make you a far better player than any unit will.

That's why you have to be sure that if you Dance while within enemy range, either the danced unit can take care of whoever can hit the Dancer, or you have someone else to block the tiles that your Dancer can be attacked from. Otherwise there's no point. Just back away.

I always try to make sure of those things. Doesn't always work. Just backing away doesn't always work either.

Yesterday I was feeling pretty bummed about my lousy pulls as of late, but this morning I was reviewing my roster, and realized "I have Eldigan", who's been killing it in the arena for the past month now.  I think that's pretty baller. 

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I always try to make sure of those things. Doesn't always work. Just backing away doesn't always work either.

Somehow, I don't think you do. If you're not even doing basic, quick math when deciding moves to make, you're most likely not being as careful with positioning as you should. Olivia is a far, far better unit than Frederick. Just wait until the next Olivia rotation comes back, and promote her to 4*. Not being -speed helps her durability by a huge amount. Slap Fury or Speed +3 on her if you have any of those too.

I mean, sure, everyone messes up occasionally, but fails shouldn't be happening as often as you say they do with a Dancer, especially if you do math or have experience with match-ups (which you should at this point; surely, you've met certain units over and over and know how to deal with them now).

18 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

I guess that is true, but as a F2P noob I don't have that many Olivia's...

I also didn't want to imply people should not use her in the arena in general. Training her is also somewhat annoying since she doesn't get experience from healing. I use her on GHB maps and such, but I don't feel like puttin in the effort to make her viable for an arena team when my current team can get 4k+ scores consistently and she wouldn't let me rank much higher. I might put in that effort if I have really good units to go along side her though.

Training her is cake now that you get exp from people 12 levels below you as a 3* (lol). Just get enough SP during 3* days for all needed skills (or use the merges for it), and then crystal her up to 40.

Ninan, now there's someone hard to train---no access to gem weapons, very defensive stat spread, and weakness to falchion, which belong in the color which should be easy exp fodder.

Edited by DehNutCase

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Training her is cake now that you get exp from people 12 levels below you as a 3* (lol). Just get enough SP during 3* days for all needed skills (or use the merges for it), and then crystal her up to 40.

Ninan, now there's someone hard to train---no access to gem weapons, very defensive stat spread, and weakness to falchion, which belong in the color which should be easy exp fodder.

Not if you sacrifice your 5* Selena for Triangle Adept 3!

Not if you sacrifice your 5* Selena for Triangle Adept 3!

That just makes training her even harder. Training is as much about SP as levels. A 500 SP detour just to TA3 hurts like hell. (Fury 3 is probably still optimal for dancer, both for arena score and bulk.)

A fully kitted out Lucina still 2HKOs TA-3 Ninan, anyway. (And I imagine everyone else carves big chunks.)

1 minute ago, DehNutCase said:

That just makes training her even harder. Training is as much about SP as levels. A 500 SP detour just to TA3 hurts like hell. (Fury 3 is probably still optimal for dancer, both for arena score and bulk.)

A fully kitted out Lucina still 2HKOs TA-3 Ninan, anyway. (And I imagine everyone else carves big chunks.)

was joke

23 minutes ago, GaleforceAbuse said:

Somehow, I don't think you do. If you're not even doing basic, quick math when deciding moves to make, you're most likely not being as careful with positioning as you should. Olivia is a far, far better unit than Frederick. Just wait until the next Olivia rotation comes back, and promote her to 4*. Not being -speed helps her durability by a huge amount. Slap Fury or Speed +3 on her if you have any of those too.

Again, that's a waste of 2,200 feathers. No thanks.

Azura is generally agreed to be better because she has combat ability as well as dancing. Her higher res would also be useful to me because I have a lot of low res characters, and a lot of -res characters too.

Olivia, far better than Frederick? lol right. She might be better than a vanilla Frederick sometimes, but not mine, not when I've 5 starred him and stacked him with all sorts of nice skills.

27 minutes ago, GaleforceAbuse said:

From the team you mentioned here, Frederick is the redundant one. He's only there for armours. Armours only have 1 move, so it's easy for them to fall behind the rest of their team. So, you can usually deal with them last. Marth covers dragons, but he also easily deals with Hector and Sheena (if he runs low on HP, just have everyone run away for a few turns until Falchion healing kills in.) Just let the armors attack him so you avoid Hector's Quick Riposte. Robin + a dancer deals with Effie and Draug easily (Robin attacks them, Olivia dances him to safety. Repeat until the armour goes down.) Realistically, you'll only see Hector and Effie. Klein gives you a safe player-phase way to deal with mages (he can also kill Effie in two-rounds as well.)

Fire Emblem is a game where all the important numbers are simple enough that you can do the calculations yourself. It's basic arithmetic. If you're not good at that, then practice. Being able to do basic arithmetic in your head is a useful skill, not just for this game, but in life in general. If you want to continue playing this game and get better, learning how to do the basic calculations behind the game will make you a far better player than any unit will.

My Frederick is NOT redundant at all. He's my Effie and Hector killer and my only one at that. Nobody else counters them as well as he does. Klein will not kill Hector, I've been told this before. Marth doesn't have enough attack to kill him in one round either.

Practice won't make me better at arithmetic. It's always been a weakness of mine no matter what. I couldn't pass a basic college math class. Literally. I didn't pass it. I actually failed. Though in my defense, the fact that all the work was online even though I was going to a classroom was causing me some issues too (it was confusing and it led to a couple missed homework assignments). And besides that, there are some things that some people are just not good at. Art isn't for everyone, science isn't for everyone, math isn't for everyone, and so on.

Edited by Anacybele