Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

Well, whatever the case, I guess even if I'm not a good player or I don't have the best units/skill sets, I like playing the game, so I won't just quit. And I think some arena seasons will be just be better for people than others. Besides, Ike still needs Threaten Spd 3 and Azura still needs a few more levels to reach 40. :P

• Replies 77.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

3 minutes ago, immatx said:

I could give reasons but some people like him for the same ones (terrible res, neither crazy speed nor amazing nuker). That's why I said it was my opinion. Now that the meta isn't screw Takumi he's not nearly as valuable. 

I don't think mages are all that important to use if u don't have one of the top tier ones. Frederick takes care of any armors, and any other high def units can be taken care of with weapon triangle advantage. If she has buff/debuff skills on her units then it really shouldn't be a problem.

The Raven+TA combo is pretty nice and lets Robin have WTA over half the meta.

I wouldn't recommend having all melee all physical under any circumstances, with the possible exception on Flyer Emblem, but even Flyer teams get so much better with Bunmilla it's hard to argue against the benefit of having a ranged unit.

Having 1-3 or 2-2 mix of ranged and melee is something I've found essential for Arena.  Being able to safely chip-damage or finish off  units without taking damage is a huge part of getting my deathless streaks.  Having a good mix of magic and physical damage is important as well, since there are only really 2-3 Armors you encounter in Arena, but far more units who have worse Res than Def.

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Nothing I do works. I don't understand why at all. Like I said, this game probably just isn't for me and I don't have good enough units. Ike is good, of course, but everybody else sucks.

Hmm well all you can do is try to get better at the game to be honest.

Also, what team did you use when you almost reached 4,000? (I think you finished 3,550 or something?

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I guess even if I'm not a good player or I don't have the best units/skill sets, I like playing the game, so I won't just quit

That's a good attitude to have :)

11 minutes ago, immatx said:

I don't think mages are all that important to use if u don't have one of the top tier ones.

Male Robin is A+ without inheritance, and A with inheritance. He's no S tier, but he still gets the point across pretty well.

11 minutes ago, immatx said:

Frederick takes care of any armors, and any other high def units can be taken care of with weapon triangle advantage.

Yeah, not quite.

Sometimes weapon triangle isn't enough. Remember when Ana said her Ike just one rounded a Ninian? I send my Nino in to fight Tharjas all the time (without desperation proc'd). I even used my Lyn to kill a Nowi a few times.

Even if Frederick had a res buff, he's as fast as the sky is green so he'll get doubled by literally any unit you want. Also, Res buff Frederick only reaches 18 res anyway.

1 minute ago, Arcanite said:

Hmm well all you can do is try to get better at the game to be honest.

Also, what team did you use when you almost reached 4,000? (I think you finished 3,550 or something?

I can't get better though. I've gotten the best units I possibly can.

And I don't remember. Palla was a bonus unit at the time though, so I know I used her. And I obviously won't use her now when I have Ike and Marth.

27 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

And of course, my win streak breaks too fucking early.

Nothing I do works. I don't understand why at all. Like I said, this game probably just isn't for me and I don't have good enough units. Ike is good, of course, but everybody else sucks.

I prefer not to use mages either because I just don't like them, and that doesn't help.

Try bringing a Lv1 hero with your three best 5* heroes. Preferably a dancer. I'm serious.

I'm not sure if the update changed it, but in the first few weeks I did this and I would get matched up with really weak teams. Usually all around Lv30. Sometimes 2 Lv40's and 2 LV20's. And once in a while I would see the same as mine, 3 Lv40's and a Lv1. Basically the average Lv of my opponents teams would match the average Lv of my team, give or take a few. In most cases your opponent will only have 1 or 2 real threats that you need to deal with.

If you don't have a low leveled dancer bring someone with a rally skill or some other way to buff your heroes who will be doing the killing.

It should make getting a 7 win streak really easy. Your score will be rather low but you should still be able to reach 4000 for those feathers.

Even if you don't like using mages i'm sure you like winning more, so if you have a good mage just suck it up and use them to get some wins (unless you have a good bow/dagger user). Having only melee attackers can make things much harder than they need to be.

1 minute ago, Hawk King said:

Try bringing a Lv1 hero with your three best 5* heroes. Preferably a dancer. I'm serious.

I'm not sure if the update changed it, but in the first few weeks I did this and I would get matched up with really weak teams. Usually all around Lv30. Sometimes 2 Lv40's and 2 LV20's. And once in a while I would see the same as mine, 3 Lv40's and a Lv1. Basically the average Lv of my opponents teams would match the average Lv of my team, give or take a few. In most cases your opponent will only have 1 or 2 real threats that you need to deal with.

If you don't have a low leveled dancer bring someone with a rally skill or some other way to buff your heroes who will be doing the killing.

It should make getting a 7 win streak really easy. Your score will be rather low but you should still be able to reach 4000 for those feathers.

Even if you don't like using mages i'm sure you like winning more, so if you have a good mage just suck it up and use them to get some wins (unless you have a good bow/dagger user). Having only melee attackers can make things much harder than they need to be.

The update did change all of that, I'm afraid. It's no longer just BST.

Nah, if I have a melee attacker that's better than a mage of the same color, I'm using the former.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I can't get better though. I've gotten the best units I possibly can.

And I don't remember. Palla was a bonus unit at the time though, so I know I used her. And I obviously won't use her now when I have Ike and Marth.

I think your core of Ike, Frederick, Robin, plus whatever Bonus unit, with Azura or Ephraim switched in, as long as you have a magic user in there is a good team.  Even if you don't get a Deathless Streak getting some streak of 7 wins is usually good enough to get a decent amount of feathers.

Dancers are nice, but by no means necessary.  I have not yet used a Dancer on my team.  I think having a good mix of units that work well together makes a bigger impact.

1 hour ago, MrSmokestack said:

I figured exchanging Spd for irrelevant Res would have made the implication more blatant, but sure.

It's like arguing Gronnblade+ on Soren when you have to sack Nino for it.

To be fair Cordelia and Hinoka aren't very frequent pull and you can get a Brave Lance from elsewhere (like say Donnel), so if you want a flying brave lance user and you haven't pulled Hinoka or Cordelia, then turning Est into one isn't that absurd.

Whereas Nino is the only source of Gronnblade.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I think your core of Ike, Frederick, Robin, plus whatever Bonus unit, with Azura or Ephraim switched in, as long as you have a magic user in there is a good team.  Even if you don't get a Deathless Streak getting some streak of 7 wins is usually good enough to get a decent amount of feathers.

Dancers are nice, but by no means necessary.  I have not yet used a Dancer on my team.  I think having a good mix of units that work well together makes a bigger impact.

Uh, Rezzy, are you forgetting that I can only have four units on a team? You seem to be suggesting a team of at least five...

EDIT: No way, I sent Odin home immediately. There are better blue mages (like male Robin) and I hate him. I would never use Ursula either and don't have her anyway.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Nah, if I have a melee attacker that's better than a mage of the same color, I'm using the former.

I know it's not just BST but I'm pretty sure it still tries to match you up against roughly the same average Lv. Just try doing what I said. It should make getting wins significantly easier.

As i've seen other people say before, you really want at least 1 ranged attacker.

I really wish posts would stop randomly being re-ordered. JSND's post was before mine when I made my post edit...

Anyway.

1 minute ago, Hawk King said:

I know it's not just BST but I'm pretty sure it still tries to match you up against roughly the same average Lv. Just try doing what I said. It should make getting wins significantly easier.

As i've seen other people say before, you really want at least 1 ranged attacker.

I do frequently use one and that's Klein. I just couldn't this time because I needed Sharena in my team as well as Ike, Frederick, and Azura.

Ike/Frederick/Azura plus a bonus unit should be a fine team. Not having a ranged attacker shouldn't be too big of a deal with Ike able to counter ranged, Frederick being mounted, and Azura improving your team's mobility even more. What skills do they have?

Also, how much attention are you paying to enemy stats/skills? I know that's been an issue before.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Uh, Rezzy, are you forgetting that I can only have four units on a team? You seem to be suggesting a team of at least five...

EDIT: No way, I sent Odin home immediately. There are better blue mages (like male Robin) and I hate him. I would never use Ursula either and don't have her anyway.

I meant most times, you could use, Ike, Fred, Robin, +Bonus unit, but it the bonus unit was a mage, you could switch in Azura for Robin for instance, so it would be Ike, Azura, Fred, Bonus Mage.

22 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Male Robin is A+ without inheritance, and A with inheritance. He's no S tier, but he still gets the point across pretty well.

Yeah, not quite.

Sometimes weapon triangle isn't enough. Remember when Ana said her Ike just one rounded a Ninian? I send my Nino in to fight Tharjas all the time (without desperation proc'd). I even used my Lyn to kill a Nowi a few times.

Even if Frederick had a res buff, he's as fast as the sky is green so he'll get doubled by literally any unit you want. Also, Res buff Frederick only reaches 18 res anyway.

Sure he was great before skill inheritance, but that's irrelevant now.  A tier isn't all that impressive considering how the tier system is set up (that's another problem altogether). He serves his purpose, yes, but with Anas core I don't see him as viable. She has very tanks units, making on of M Robins best traits (debatably) of having very high def for a mages effectively worthless. Azura on the other hand has high res, is a dancer, and has fortify res, which will help tank mages damage which is something her team needs badly. 

There's always outliers, there's no way to make a team that solves every problem. That's why it's a strategy game and not entirely about the units u have. Btw, using Nino, Ike, and Lyn as examples is kinda of a cop out. 

Thats.....not the point at all. Fredericks job isn't to take mage damage. It would be Azura's primarily, with a res buff helping the others potentially survive ORKOs. Frederick being a low res cav should never be the one doing the tanking, Azura, Marth, and Sharena have enough res to do it. 

Edit: and if she uses Ike instead, he has enough spd to last a round against mages with a res buff. 

5 minutes ago, Othin said:

Ike/Frederick/Azura plus a bonus unit should be a fine team. Not having a ranged attacker shouldn't be too big of a deal with Ike able to counter ranged, Frederick being mounted, and Azura improving your team's mobility even more. What skills do they have?

Exactly. 

Edited by immatx

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

considering the ranged nuke fest i see in the arena a lot of the time, namely magical nuke fest, i couldn't even function with using an only melee team, so kudos to you. at least you have Ike now which kind of covers ranged. out of curiousity, how many points does an Advanced arena match get you? 

59 minutes ago, immatx said:

My guess based on what I've watched/read on the game and my limited programming experience, there's an algorithm that decides the star rating based on percentages. From the pool of that star rating it randomly selects a unit and checks it's color, which decides which colored orb-thingy(?) gets placed over the unit. Again, this is just my guess as to how it works. 

So it checks the whole batch of star rarity instead of checking them each individually for "yes/no" and then selects any randome hero available. Cool! I'll simulate my pulls and see how it fares before doing the real one.

Also, subaki is so damn good. 39 def subaki (fort flier) tanked a 65 atk eldigan (hone cav) for 0 dmg. In return he bonfire rekt him.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I meant most times, you could use, Ike, Fred, Robin, +Bonus unit, but it the bonus unit was a mage, you could switch in Azura for Robin for instance, so it would be Ike, Azura, Fred, Bonus Mage.

Oh, okay. I must've misunderstood you then.

And while Frederick's res may be poopy, he actually can survive a hit from a mage so long as they can't double him and the only ones that do are Nino and Linde. And the latter he can one-shot before she can do anything.

EDIT: @wizzard of soz Around 670 at most if you use a bonus unit.

Speaking of Bonfire, it's practically a one-hit KO for Freddy. lol I love it on him!

Edited by Anacybele

Ana, another question: what level are your Azura and Sharena? (And what rating is your Sharena, for that matter?) Training them more might help you deal with reds better, if that's an issue. Although that depends on what particular enemies you tend to have the most trouble dealing with.

9 minutes ago, Othin said:

Also, how much attention are you paying to enemy stats/skills? I know that's been an issue before.

2 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

considering the ranged nuke fest i see in the arena a lot of the time, namely magical nuke fest, i couldn't even function with using an only melee team, so kudos to you. at least you have Ike now which kind of covers ranged. out of curiousity, how many points does an Advanced arena match get you? 

If Lava and Bridge are hard normally, they're darn near impossible with only melee.  Terrain is much kinder to ranged units than melee.

Just now, Rezzy said:

If Lava and Bridge are hard normally, they're darn near impossible with only melee.  Terrain is much kinder to ranged units than melee.

That's true. I use a Marth/Sharena/Hector core, which is fine on more open maps but can really have trouble on those.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

Ana, another question: what level are your Azura and Sharena? (And what rating is your Sharena, for that matter?) Training them more might help you deal with reds better, if that's an issue. Although that depends on what particular enemies you tend to have the most trouble dealing with.

Azura is lv. 37 and Sharena is 4 star lv. 40. I haven't upgraded her yet because I kept prioritizing others. People even suggested that I upgrade Marth and male Robin and all first too.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

...Those are the two maps I've been getting the most lately. I guess this explains some things too.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Azura is lv. 37 and Sharena is 4 star lv. 40. I haven't upgraded her yet because I kept prioritizing others. People even suggested that I upgrade Marth and male Robin and all first too.

Okay, that should be fine then. What about skills? On them and the others.

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

oh hey, that's like exactly the same as mine. are there any specific kinds of teams or units that are giving you trouble or just everything in general?

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

that's very true, didn't even consider that aspect. and if the enemy has ranged units...it gets reeaallly fun. at least a mounted unit or flier might be able to get to them on the Lava map.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Oh, okay. I must've misunderstood you then.

And while Frederick's res may be poopy, he actually can survive a hit from a mage so long as they can't double him and the only ones that do are Nino and Linde. And the latter he can one-shot before she can do anything.

I, uh, hate to break it to you, but most mages are fast enough to double him. You might not have run into many besides Nino and Linde, but they're out there. Just in general though, you don't want Frederick tanking mages at all, but I'm sure you know that already. 

Also, I agree with what others have said about using Robin over Azura (even though Azura is great) because not having ranged/magic damage makes things a lot harder for you. 

If you're proficient enough at using dancers, then you can get away with using all-melee teams by utilizing Azura to grant your melee units the range to rush down mages from outside of their range, but it takes some practice.

Also, 670 is a pretty decent score range. Assuming a deathless run that gets you to almost 4.7k, which is a pretty decent score (though, of course, that's assuming deathless, and it doesn't sound like that's happening any time soon). 

You have a very solid set of units though, especially Ike, Azura, and Klein, who are all considered high tier units, so if you get better at positioning and playing around with them, I'm sure you'll be able to slowly improve your performance in Arena as well.