Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

35 minutes ago, SaMaster14 said:

I'm not ranked and don't arena battle too much.

Current Defense Team:

All Lv. 40/5*: Effie, Linde, Marth, Takumi

I usually get defense results ~267 points (and get the highest amount of feathers from defense rewards)

Current Offensive Team:

All Lv. 40/5*: Linde, Marth, Takumi, Kagero

My most recent 7-in-a-row run through (all advanced) I netted 1,999 points... (and that is the highest score i've achieved)

Oh, you're not running a bonus character!  Run one, and watch your score double.

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Oh, you're not running a bonus character!  Run one, and watch your score double.

I don't have any of the current arena season's bonus characters at a strong enough level to be effective (and win in the advanced level). :( Waiting for one of my strong 5*s to come up as a bonus character!

2 minutes ago, SaMaster14 said:

I don't have any of the current arena season's bonus characters at a strong enough level to be effective (and win in the advanced level). :( Waiting for one of my strong 5*s to come up as a bonus character!

I run Ursula as a 4*.  4* bonus character will always trump no bonus character, so use one!

I've only got one Defense Win.  I ran an all Blue Team, and got a D Win on the first day, so I thought that was as sign that it was solid, but I haven't gotten any new D wins since then, so I may have to change it up again for next week.

My Offense score of 4508 is currently Rank 9030.  I guess I might drop out of the top 10K before Monday, but with my low BST of my team, that's about the highest I can get this week.

I honestly have no idea how to defense team. Right now I'm running (swap)Ryoma/(repos)Minerva/(repos)Reinhardt/(swap)Klein but I've also tried Takumi in Klein's slot, Olivia in Klein's slot, Olivia and Nino for Minerva and Klein, etc

and still no

I really would like a more transparent metric---is it just nobody's fighting me, or do people just kill me fine? I'd imagine flipping Reinhardt over a mountain might give people some trouble, but apparently not.

12 minutes ago, Thor Odinson said:

I honestly have no idea how to defense team. Right now I'm running (swap)Ryoma/(repos)Minerva/(repos)Reinhardt/(swap)Klein but I've also tried Takumi in Klein's slot, Olivia in Klein's slot, Olivia and Nino for Minerva and Klein, etc

and still no

I really would like a more transparent metric---is it just nobody's fighting me, or do people just kill me fine? I'd imagine flipping Reinhardt over a mountain might give people some trouble, but apparently not.

If you want a near-guaranteed win, stack a color.  I refuse to do this out of pride, though.

My defense team is Jakob (with Seal Speed), Olivia, Lucina, and M!Robin (the TA one).  Managed to snag one win so far!

1 minute ago, eclipse said:

If you want a near-guaranteed win, stack a color.  I refuse to do this out of pride, though.

My defense team is Jakob (with Seal Speed), Olivia, Lucina, and M!Robin (the TA one).  Managed to snag one win so far!

I need all the feathers I can get to fund all my inheritance needs, so I may just do that, pride be damned. 

3/29/2017 - offense 4,546; rank 1,434 (1:05AM PST) [deathless]
3/30/2017 - offense 4,568; rank 1,935 (3:06PM PST) [deathless]
3/31/2017 - offense 4,568; rank 2,408 (5:58PM PST) [deathless]
4/1/2017 - offense 4,568; rank 2,806 (2:20PM PST) [deathless]

Team:
(all Level 40 and 5*)
+Atk/-Spd Ninian (163)
+Res/-HP Ryoma (173; +Vantage 2)
neutral Sharena (177; +Threaten Spd 3)
+Def/-Spd Minerva (174; +Draconic Aura)
BST687

42 minutes ago, Thor Odinson said:

I honestly have no idea how to defense team.

I've snagged two defense wins with M!Robin(Swordbreaker 3)/Ryoma(Vantage 2)/Ninian/Sharena(Threaten Spd 3). I don't get many defense wins each season but they accrue the points to get 500 Feathers. Only reason I don't field a Green is because they tend to be too easy to kill on defense.

Edited by Dual Dragons

Sticking Blarblade on Linde is a big mistake with the current match-making. For the last couple of days I ran into all sorts of mage/cavalry/flier emblem with blade tomes and dire thunder. I only have one mage not three. And not that whale to get a +10 Julia x.x

57 minutes ago, Thor Odinson said:

and still no

I used to have trouble getting defenses, mostly one or two a week. The last two weeks have gotten me five and six, respectively. The only thing different I've done is use Ninian and Eldigan on my defense team. I'm wondering if the massive mobility that Eldigan has moving twice a turn has something to do with it. 

Just now, Eridras said:

I used to have trouble getting defenses, mostly one or two a week. The last two weeks have gotten me five and six, respectively. The only thing different I've done is use Ninian and Eldigan on my defense team. I'm wondering if the massive mobility that Eldigan has moving twice a turn has something to do with it. 

I mean I use Olivia and Reinhardt, theoretically that should have massive map coverage as well---though Reinhardt's definitely a lot easier to kill than Eldigan

2 minutes ago, Thor Odinson said:

I mean I use Olivia and Reinhardt, theoretically that should have massive map coverage as well---though Reinhardt's definitely a lot easier to kill than Eldigan

Maybe it's also a BST issue?  My Ninian has Fury 3, so I'm sending out a 698 BST team. The competition we're dealing with might be different. At that level, people might be more likely to surrender after losing one unit. 

Just now, Eridras said:

Maybe it's also a BST issue?  My Ninian has Fury 3, so I'm sending out a 698 BST team. The competition we're dealing with might be different. At that level, people might be more likely to surrender after losing one unit. 

Possibly. Unfortunately the only units I have with high BST is Ryoma and Minerva, and I have not rolled a single Hinata. I actually want to run Fury on Ryoma too.

Alas.

I've got two defences on my main account with a team of Kagero (with vantage), Azura, Ryoma (with vantage) and Reinhardt. It didn't get me anything last week, though.

I've got three on my secondary account with Camilla, Hinoka, Julia and Sanaki. Maybe people aren't bringing along bow users?

I know I've read somewhere that putting a "harmless" looking character in your first slot might entice people to choose your team if it comes up. I have Ninian as my team face, which doesn't say much of anything since she's also a bonus unit. 

If I saw a Kagero in lead and my team was all infantry, I'd be inclined to pass. 

Edited by Eridras

Score of 4524:

• Ground Zero (2AM PST Mar 28) - #440
  • 13 Hours Later - #1458
  • 37 Hours Later - #3588
  • 61 Hours Later - #4990
  • 85 Hours Later - #6062
  • 108 Hours Later - #7037

Score of 4534

• Ground Zero (3PM PST Apr 1) - #5874

Could possibly have had 8 more points because I wussed out of a 652 match with a Ninian lead late in the chain... only to get a 644 team with Lucina +10 and a Ninian, anyway. The team also brought a Camilla +4, who Ninian sped to her death via my +0 Marth. Linde is definitely many times easier to use than M!Robin, especially since after she gets wounded, she only gets more deadly (whereas my M!Robin starts out deadly with QR and then turns into a meh chipper).

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to be able to push into the top 5k this season as my improved score improvement didn't even give me a chance to get kicked out of it again.

For defense teams, I usually swap things around, but lately I've been running monoblue, since that's where almost all my good defense units are. Pivot tends to make the AI act stupidly, so I don't run Marth on my Def team and Chrom is a bit hit and miss since SI came out (I used to run him with it and it'd reliably get me a single win per week). My Spring Chrom may find his way in if I can figure something out for his skill set, though. Also, there'll be a point where Gordin 4* makes a return, less because I want him in the defense team and more because he'll be there to help my Voting Gauntlet buddies once Pegs vs Wyvs starts.

1 minute ago, Eridras said:

I know I've read somewhere that putting a "harmless" looking character in your first slot might entice people to choose your team if it comes up. I have Ninian as my team face, which doesn't say much of anything since she's also a bonus unit. 

If I saw a Kagero in lead and my team was all infantry, I'd be inclined to pass. 

Ryoma and Sanaki are my two leads, to be fair. I didn't put them in order as it was just as I remembered them ^.^

I always just pick Advanced, personally. Since the new arena quests, I fight in the arena 6 times a day minimum so there's no harm to it. I'll eventally get 7 in a row. 

12 minutes ago, Eridras said:

Mine's Jakob.  If that doesn't look like someone who's clueless. . . :P:

(and no, I'm not changing him)

So, who thinks there should be a tier 10 bragging thread where everyone takes a picture of their rank (with their name in the picture), and posts it as they brag about being a true supporter of the game/ being a veteran?

Edited by Arcanite

18 minutes ago, Eridras said:

I feel like this really only applies to lower levels of Arena.

At higher levels, you're going to click Advanced no matter what the enemy rep is because no other difficulty is worth it for the amount of points you lose out on.

The only real reason I can even think of for passing on a battle (pressing give up then using another sword to reroll opponents) is to maximize your points. If the range of the max number of points you can get from opponents ranges from 650-660 on average, you might reroll opponents if you get opponents that only give you a mere 650 or 652 points because you want to maximize your score. 

4 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I feel like this really only applies to lower levels of Arena.

At higher levels, you're going to click Advanced no matter what the enemy rep is because no other difficulty is worth it for the amount of points you lose out on.

The only real reason I can even think of for passing on a battle (pressing give up then using another sword to reroll opponents) is to maximize your points. If the range of the max number of points you can get from opponents ranges from 650-660 on average, you might reroll opponents if you get opponents that only give you a mere 650 or 652 points because you want to maximize your score. 

Right, and Thor Odinson is running a team with a calvary mage and a brave bow archer.  That's about the range where people aren't shooting for all-Advanced fights. 

2 minutes ago, Eridras said:

Right, and Thor Odinson is running a team with a calvary mage and a brave bow archer.  That's about the range where people aren't shooting for all-Advanced fights. 

That's fair. Apologies, I made a general statement without going through earlier parts of the thread to get more context.

As for your rep @Thor Odinson, I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I'd personally be more likely to skip out on a team with Olivia than Ryoma. Dancer teams are what give me more trouble than any other team comp. Of the people you listed, Minerva or Klein are probably going to get you more hits than Ryoma, though with the current system it's impossible to tell if you're actually getting more people or not :/