Is it worth me spending money on this game?

sdgj1994

So here's my situation. I'm running out of ways to get orbs for free easily, as I've completed the story on Normal and Hard (except Chapter 9 on Hard) and over half of it on Lunatic. Grinding up my main team is becoming tricky due to higher stamina costs and more complex foes. I currently have two 5*s, Lyn and Camilla, but I feel like I could do with a whole team of them, and trying to get great badges and 20k feathers to rank up a 4* seems impossible for me. I managed to do two whole sets of free summons from the latest focus group, but got no 5* units, so the rate is slightly increased.

I recently discovered the FE Heroes GamePress page, which has Summon Simulators. I tried them out and I found that the average number of summon sessions required to get a 5* is around 3.5. Some 5*s showed up without any rate increases while others took as long as 11 summon sessions to appear. But with what I have in mind, according to the simulator results the odds should be in my favour.

I was thinking of spending £12.99 once or twice (I'm from the UK) to get orbs to do a couple more summoning sessions to see if I can get a 5*; its even more tempting with the increased rates from the free sessions and the sim results. But with where I am now, money isn't easy to get, but then again I can afford a couple sessions and there's nothing else in my sights right now. But is it really worth it? I'm not sure how much anyone can help me here but any efforts would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Short answer: No.

Why spend cash on a game when it can be used to go to FE Fates (Route #2/#3. There's more fun in that)

Grind with Training Tower. Take 2 of your 4* unit with your Camilla and Lyn. Preferably a Blue unit -- if not train one to 4*. Grinding in training tower will take time. But it isnt too bad. I got to level 40 in 3-4 days. Once you are in level 40. Lunatic can be trampled easily. Chapter 1-8.

Focus on what you are weak at. Do you need a Blue lance or magic user. Also... 4* healer... that is good helps.

Edited by Ryuke

1 minute ago, Ryuke said:

Short answer: No.

Why spend cash on a game when it can be used to go to FE Fates (Route #2/#3. There's more fun in that)

I've completed all three routes on Fates already. So, if its not worth spending the money, then Heroes is kinda pointless to me at the moment. I've more or less done everything, so all I can do is wait for more content. Yay for waiting! Although if they do some kind of one-time special offer on orbs at some point then I will probably go ahead and buy that haha!

@sdgj1994 Modified my post. Haha. Explaining the money.

In short you are pretty stable. I believe you will get your next 5* unit in what... 2 weeks? if not less? (assuming they still give 1K free feathers)

Edited by Ryuke

Personally, I don't think it's worth it and I think the orbs should be cheaper. I personally might want to spend some money on the game someday, but I'm hoping for a discount.

I'm sure you'll get more orbs sooner or later, if you don't really have the money for it I'd reccomend saving it or using it on something else. In the end it's still your money, and you should do with it what you want. All we can do is give advice :)

I think the choice is up to you, but in this situation I would just take it steady and patiently grind your team. The stamina cost does suck later on, but it's bearable in the training tower and you can get Stamina Points from My Nintendo.

Have you tried the arena? If you can consistently clear Intermediate, you can get 1600 feathers a week (+400 if you're lucky to get a successful defence). Plus you can get 2000+ feathers from Arena quests before March rolls in.

If you have Lyn and Camilla, I think you should be fine for the arena. Just add in Olivia (for dancing) and a decent 4 star, preferably a blue.

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys! I think like I said I'll hold off until there's a discount/special offer or something.

@Ryuke My current main team is Lyn, Camilla, and Cordelia and Sophia at 4*. I'm thinking Sophia is the weak link here as she gets doubled by everything. And I also have two fliers so my team is really weak to bow users. I have a 4* F!Corrin and Effie on their way up so either could replace Cordelia to reduce the bow weakness, and other 4* mages I have are Merric and Raigh. I have a Robin but he's only 3* right now. I'm thinking F!Corrin is a worthy member, she's done well so far, as for mages I'm a little less sure. Or should I have a bow/staff user instead? Though my only options there for 4* are Niles and Azama.

@VincentASM I have an Olivia but she's only 3* right now so needs a bit of training. The arena could be a safe bet for now as I have plenty of Dueling Swords, but I need more confidence to go for Intermediate battles and up (I'm not the greatest at FE and am a very safe player ^^;)!

Edited by sdgj1994

@sdgj1994 F!Corrin is good... good tank. Can beat knight since her target is Res. Like Tiki. Mines has bane res I think so it didnt help.Effie would definitely get rid of the bow unit for you. At the cost of 1 movement and maybe weak at magic. awesome tank.

Personally... with your stamina. I would work on F!Corrin, Effie, (4* Green/Red/Unitless) ... cause 2x Blue is enough.

then play around with F!Corrin/Effie replacing  Cordelia and Effie.

16 minutes ago, Chelone said:

Personally, I don't think it's worth it and I think the orbs should be cheaper. I personally might want to spend some money on the game someday, but I'm hoping for a discount.

I feel the same way. I want to pay and support FE and the game, but to charge so much for so few orbs (as I said, £2 per random unit) is extortionate. Just like any other gacha-style game, really. Then we have people who willingly spend the equivalent of hundreds of dollars on orbs... I can't see the justification.

I'm willing to spend about £10 a month on this mobile game. I think it's a reasonable amount, considering XBox Live, PSOnline, etc. cost about that much.
£10 = 20 orbs = one full summoning of 5 random units. A month. Ridiculous. For £70, I'd expect to achieve enough orbs to satisfy me with at least one full summoning session a week.

I'm hoping that Nintendo eventually puts themselves above the typical gacha game, and reduces their prices to a level that will satisfy the light/medium spenders (e.g. £10 a month) as well as their whales, who will get more bang for their buck.

There are over 700 units in Fire Emblem all together, are they really afraid people will obtain everything so fast and stop paying once they have everything, or something? For now, they get nothing from me through Heroes until the orbs are at a price that I feel comfortable paying for.

Edited by Raven

3 minutes ago, Ryuke said:

@sdgj1994 F!Corrin is good... good tank. Can beat knight since her target is Res. Like Tiki. Mines has bane res I think so it didnt help.Effie would definitely get rid of the bow unit for you. At the cost of 1 movement and maybe weak at magic. awesome tank.

Personally... with your stamina. I would work on F!Corrin, Effie, (4* Green/Red/Unitless) ... cause 2x Blue is enough.

then play around with F!Corrin/Effie replacing  Cordelia and Effie.

My F!Corrin is +Spd -Atk which is ok-ish (good boon at least) while Effie... +Spd -HP. Terrible for an armour knight!! XD

Honestly the orb amounts for what you pay are kinda bullshit. I finally broke down because my 5* rate was over 9% and i wanted to take advantage of it before the focus groups changed and I bought the 75 orbs (best value for US currency). Took 3 pulls to finally get a 5* of a unit I already had a 4* for :(:.

The way i justify it is that I'm pretty financially stable right now so spending $40 here or there is no big deal for me. If you consider other weekly/monthly spending habits people have like cigarettes, booze, or daily coffee shops, then having a set amount you budget for orbs shouldn't be a problem.

Now if the orb amounts were way higher. Like 500 and 999 for the highest amounts then I would have spent the $75 on day 1...

1 hour ago, sdgj1994 said:

I have an Olivia but she's only 3* right now so needs a bit of training. The arena could be a safe bet for now as I have plenty of Dueling Swords, but I need more confidence to go for Intermediate battles and up (I'm not the greatest at FE and am a very safe player ^^;)!

3 stars is good enough! My Intermediate Arena Olivia is 3 stars. She just needs Dance, although I guess it's nice if she can take a hit. Mine just dances and dances until she dies... Oops, that sounds cruel.

Yeah, I know what you mean. You might have guessed otherwise, but I'm a terrible Fire Emblem player. Took me a while before I became comfortable with Intermediate and I'm absolutely dreading Advanced, but I need to challenge it eventually for quests and whatnot.

Definitely try a ton of Beginner first. Pretty sure there are some February quests or Arena quests that require you to beat Beginner (or any difficulty) so you can kill two birds in one stone.

Arena is cool because it doesn't cost stamina, so I like going there to chill once a day when my stamina is gone. You also get a tiny amount of exp, which is something at least.

Ever since I brought Olivia along, I haven't lost an Intermediate match yet. The AI just isn't ready for her XD

You just need to be careful when the big hitters like Takumi and Lucina arrive.

Edited by VincentASM

Compared to Granblue fantasy(which is considered to be very fair compared to most games of this type) you get a 10 roll for around the same price as two 5 rolls in heroes, and heroes has a better rate for 5*(SSR) and 4*(SR) items per roll(Granblue guarantees a SR or higher if you roll a 10 instead of singles). The fact of the matter is, for a game of this type, the Orb prices are in fact very fair, and if you're expecting them to get cheaper, expect to be dissapointed. 

Whether it's worth it to buy them is dependant on your outlook. If you enjoy heroes and play a lot, then putting down some money is absolutely fine. People will buy games off of steam sales that they'll never play in their lives that cost more than the cost of 23 orbs. People look at the "best value" packages and see a 75$ price tag and get turned off, but buying a smaller amount of orbs that you can actually afford(and still aren't that much worse in efficiency really, some packages are a difference of a few cents) is a better option for most people. If I'm gonna play heroes as much as I would a triple a title(which over time, I likely will), then putting down a bit of money, even as much as I'd pay for said triple A title, isn't at all a problem to me as long as I'm enjoying myself.

1 minute ago, Ether said:

Compared to Granblue fantasy(which is considered to be very fair compared to most games of this type) you get a 10 roll for around the same price as two 5 rolls in heroes, and heroes has a better rate for 5*(SSR) and 4*(SR) items per roll(Granblue guarantees a SR or higher if you roll a 10 instead of singles). The fact of the matter is, for a game of this type, the Orb prices are in fact very fair, and if you're expecting them to get cheaper, expect to be dissapointed. 

Whether it's worth it to buy them is dependant on your outlook. If you enjoy heroes and play a lot, then putting down some money is absolutely fine. People will buy games off of steam sales that they'll never play in their lives that cost more than the cost of 23 orbs. People look at the "best value" packages and see a 75$ price tag and get turned off, but buying a smaller amount of orbs that you can actually afford(and still aren't that much worse in efficiency really, some packages are a difference of a few cents) is a better option for most people. If I'm gonna play heroes as much as I would a triple a title(which over time, I likely will), then putting down a bit of money, even as much as I'd pay for said triple A title, isn't at all a problem to me as long as I'm enjoying myself.

I love Heroes, but even if it's better than similar alternatives, it doesn't make it a good deal. Even without buying any Orbs, I'm sure I've already played and enjoyed Heroes more than some games I've happily spent $40+ on, but if I spent that much money on Heroes, I don't think the amount of time and enjoyment it would add to Heroes would be anywhere close to the time and enjoyment I've gotten out of any conventional games I've been happy to buy for that price.

Whether it's worth it for you personally depends on your own outlook, I'm just trying to give some context. I'm just saying that spending a bit isn't so bad, and you could choose to spend like 15, instead of that 40. The main point was that people expecting prices to go down are unlikely to ever get their wish, which I think is something to be aware of(especially considering IS did change some of the issues the game had at launch, I don't want to see them with a bunch of false hope)

While I spent $40, I would not recommend spending money on FE:Heroes unless...

1. You want to support Fire Emblem: Heroes. [This was why I spent $40.]
2. You have excess money lying around.
3. You really want, nay, need a particular hero (normally a Focus Hero). [I was also guilty of this. Of course, this did not come to pass...]

Also, just because you spent money does not mean you are guaranteed a 5* hero pull. RNG is still RNG. You can get lucky and get several good characters or unlucky and end up with an army of 3 stars.

The Orb prices are expensive (~$11 for just 5 characters of unknown quality, leaning towards low quality?). Personally, I would find it a bit more bearable if it was a straight $10 for 5, but $8 would be a far better deal (Get 4 heroes for $2 each and get the 5th hero for free!) However, given how much money Heroes has made, I doubt any permanent reduction will occur.

As for discounts and sales, I am uncertain. This is my first ever mobile game (and first real foray into Gachapon-centric progression), so I do not know if Heroes will have orb discounts or special sales.

I don't think it's worth it. I don't have experience with other gacha games, but $39.99 for just short of four full summons seems a bit much. You could get more out of spending that money on a lot of things.

That said, you could get less out of spending it on a lot of things too, and I understand the temptation. I haven't played half the games in my Steam library. There's no guarantee you'd get anything good, but you would get something. So... I'd recommend against it, but the option is there.

27 minutes ago, Ether said:

Whether it's worth it for you personally depends on your own outlook, I'm just trying to give some context. I'm just saying that spending a bit isn't so bad, and you could choose to spend like 15, instead of that 40. The main point was that people expecting prices to go down are unlikely to ever get their wish, which I think is something to be aware of(especially considering IS did change some of the issues the game had at launch, I don't want to see them with a bunch of false hope)

Yeah, that's fair.

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

3 stars is good enough! My Intermediate Arena Olivia is 3 stars. She just needs Dance, although I guess it's nice if she can take a hit. Mine just dances and dances until she dies... Oops, that sounds cruel.

Yeah, I know what you mean. You might have guessed otherwise, but I'm a terrible Fire Emblem player. Took me a while before I became comfortable with Intermediate and I'm absolutely dreading Advanced, but I need to challenge it eventually for quests and whatnot.

Definitely try a ton of Beginner first. Pretty sure there are some February quests or Arena quests that require you to beat Beginner (or any difficulty) so you can kill two birds in one stone.

Arena is cool because it doesn't cost stamina, so I like going there to chill once a day when my stamina is gone. You also get a tiny amount of exp, which is something at least.

Ever since I brought Olivia along, I haven't lost an Intermediate match yet. The AI just isn't ready for her XD

You just need to be careful when the big hitters like Takumi and Lucina arrive.

My Olivia now has Dance, and by god is it useful. No more leaving enemies on 1HP (that has happened to me too many times in the past its unreal haha)! So if I substitute Sophia for Olivia then she can dance for my powerhouses and train wreck everyone (except Takumi, probably), and once F!Corrin is on par (lv. 30+) she can substitute Cordelia so Takumi is a bit less of a threat to my team.

On the spending money front, its less of "paying to get good units" (because I do have some) and more "paying to get units I want" which is less necessary. There are some units I would love to have such as Elise and Ryoma that unfortunately have a very small chance of appearing due to being 5* only. Others like Caeda and Sakura have a 4* variant too but there's still plenty of other units I could end up with instead. I also wouldn't mind some of the current focus group like Eirika and Ephiram. True there are "better" units to pull, but these are just some of the ones on my wish list. Still would be happy with a Takumi or Hector, don't get me wrong!

1 hour ago, sdgj1994 said:

On the spending money front, its less of "paying to get good units" (because I do have some) and more "paying to get units I want" which is less necessary. There are some units I would love to have such as Elise and Ryoma that unfortunately have a very small chance of appearing due to being 5* only. Others like Caeda and Sakura have a 4* variant too but there's still plenty of other units I could end up with instead. I also wouldn't mind some of the current focus group like Eirika and Ephiram. True there are "better" units to pull, but these are just some of the ones on my wish list. Still would be happy with a Takumi or Hector, don't get me wrong!

In this case, I would recommend not spending money unless you are certain that you wouldn't really regret it if you didn't pull anybody you liked.

It's much riskier to pull looking for specific units than to pull for filling a team in general. You could easy spend 80 orbs without getting any of those characters, if your luck is particularly bad. You never know.

5 minutes ago, Fly_or_Die said:

In this case, I would recommend not spending money unless you are certain that you wouldn't really regret it if you didn't pull anybody you liked.

It's much riskier to pull looking for specific units than to pull for filling a team in general. You could easy spend 80 orbs without getting any of those characters, if your luck is particularly bad. You never know.

Hence why I don't plan on doing it now. Just trying to use what I have already until I can get another free summon (which probably wont be till this time next week I think). If I still get no new 5* after that then oh well my real luck is hidden behind a pay wall, it seems

Yeah, I think a lot of us feel your pain with regards to those 5-star only characters.

I really, really want Linde, but the odds aren't great at all...

With luck, they'll have pity on us and make all the 5-star only characters Focus heroes eventually.

Y'know, I was thinking about spending money to get my favourites, but in the end I might as well splurge on Cipher cards instead. Even if you don't get the character(s) you want, at least you can trade Cipher cards XD