How would a story change with a lord from a different game?

Thane

Hello everyone.

So, how would a Fire Emblem story change if you swapped its main character with a lord from another game?

For instance, if Ike were in Corrin's non-existent shoes, I'm fairly certain he could never justify going back to Nohr after what Garon had done.However, Ike also hates being a pawn in somebody else's game and wouldn't want to be fought over like a piece of meat, so I can see him leaving to do his own thing, with or without Azura following him to serve as his exposition bot. 

Do you have any examples where the plot would be altered for better or worse if you changed its main character(s)? Maybe Corrin would side with Ashera, kill thousands and then stab her in the back when the time was right.

I could see Erika upholding the peace for a longer stretch of time in games like Awakening where the war hadn't began until later in the story since she's probably the most averted to violence of the lords (I guess you could make a case for Eliwood and Marth, but I just feel she was built up that way better than those two). I certainly like to see a lord in the same parley position who's not practically begging for the war to start deal with the situation.

Also, I honestly think it would be funny to see Corrin inserted into the other games just to laugh at how he/she blemishes the writing. XD

If Hector didn't die, he'd be promptly put at the helm of Binding Blade's plot.  ...and he'd probably fall into the traps Roy didn't, since Hector's more of an "act first, think later" kinda guy.

Main reason I don't want him to be playable in any FE6 remakes, because him living basically kicks Roy out of the MC position and them being as different as they are it can affect the plot.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

33 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

If Hector didn't die, he'd be promptly put at the helm of Binding Blade's plot.  ...and he'd probably fall into the traps Roy didn't, since Hector's more of an "act first, think later" kinda guy.

Main reason I don't want him to be playable in any FE6 remakes, because him living basically kicks Roy out of the MC position and them being as different as they are it can affect the plot.

Could he be playable in one or two early chapters, and then die like in the original? I haven't played the game, so I don't know whether it would make sense plot-wise. Still, a character only temporarily playable is not unheard of in the series (i.e. Orson, the Black Knight, half of FE4's cast (yeah, that last example is stretching it)).

Just now, Heptade said:

Could he be playable in one or two early chapters, and then die like in the original? I haven't played the game, so I don't know whether it would make sense plot-wise. Still, a character only temporarily playable is not unheard of in the series (i.e. Orson, the Black Knight, half of FE4's cast (yeah, that last example is stretching it)).

During the first two Chapters, Roy and friends are on their way to Araphen to assist Hector, who is already there fighting Bern.  The whole of Chapter 3, plotwise, is trying to reach him and save him.

So yeah making him playable during the first two chapters doesn't make sense since he's off fighting elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Glaceon Mage said:

During the first two Chapters, Roy and friends are on their way to Araphen to assist Hector, who is already there fighting Bern.  The whole of Chapter 3, plotwise, is trying to reach him and save him.

So yeah making him playable during the first two chapters doesn't make sense since he's off fighting elsewhere.

Forget what I said, then. :KnollRoll:

Maybe they could add a bonus chapter showing Hector's fights in Araphen, maybe with cameos from FE7 characters like Oswin.

Or maybe they could just leave the game as is. :Hector:

FE1/FE11: Chrom would've forged a war path through Archanea until Emmeryn was avenged and Lissa was freed from Gharnef's control. He might marry Nyna, not truly caring about how she loved Camus. Chrom wouldn't fall into despair, and thus he would repel Gharnef before he could be tainted by the Sable Gem.

FE2: Roy would immediately identify Lilina as Princess Anteze, but not tell her. Roy would take the death of Eliwood somewhat hard, as Eliwood showed strength of character during their fight.

FE3/12: Hector kills Lang in Chapter 1 and recruits Jubelo and Yulia into Altea's army. He rushes home to prepare the defense of Altea. He barely wins, even though he is forced to retreat from Hardin with Uther and Caeda in tow. It goes mostly the same as it did in Mystery of the Emblem.

FE4 Gen 1: Ike never falls in love with Deirdre, but keeps a very close eye on her. Manfroy fails to capture her and is killed. Eldigan is wounded by Ike, but survives because of Lachesis. Ike reaches the castle gate before Eldigan can plead with Chagall to stand down. Eldigan mounts a defense against Lombard and Reptor, beating them back and exposing them to Azmur. Deirdre is taken before Azmur, and Arvis and Deirdre marry. Gawain barely survives his injuries.

FE4 Gen 2: Micaiah kills Manfroy when he attempts to take over her mind. Micaiah Thany-bombs Julius.

FE5: Alm is all but eager to follow the advice of August. He defeats Raydrick during the trap in Manster.

FE6: Robin is still able to kill Zephiel and save Idun.

FE7: Ephraim doesn't fall for Erik's lie.

FE8: Corrin manages to not change the story at all. He even hands over Renais' Sacred Stone to Lyon.

FE9: Lyn shows a much greater reverence to authority, but kills Oliver just as soon as she meets him.

FE10: Sigurd doesn't change much, except for actually appreciating Micaiah.

FE13: Seliph finds Kris passed out. Leif sacrifices himself to save Seliph and the Fire Emblem.

FE14B: Eirika joins Hoshido. Nothing much changes.

FE14C: Eliwood manages to turn Xander against Garon.

FE14R: Marth finds the whole thing stupid, finding out about Valla without Azura's help.

2 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

For quite awhile now I've really wanted to see a Hector Hard Mode hack of FE6 that just replaces Roy with Hector and inexplicably keeps the story almost identical. (I wonder how useful Roy would be as a unit if he was demoted from protagonist status and could promote with a Hero Crest).

Edited by Jotari

5 hours ago, Thane said:

For instance, if Ike were in Corrin's non-existent shoes, I'm fairly certain he could never justify going back to Nohr after what Garon had done.However, Ike also hates being a pawn in somebody else's game and wouldn't want to be fought over like a piece of meat, so I can see him leaving to do his own thing, with or without Azura following him to serve as his exposition bot.

My guess would be that Ike would return to Nohr... in order to confront Garon. That would be very much in line with how he acted when he learned about the Serenes massacre, where he went straight for Sanaki demanding an explanation, while ignoring any sort of formalities or protocol despite knowing what kind of consequences that could have.

Not to mention, what seems to go under Ike's skin more then anything else is betrayal. This was most noticeable when he confronted Lehran:

Spoiler

Ike: “Beyond just Empress Sanaki, you were trusted by a lot of people. Sephiran, I need to understand… Did you really betray all of those people?”

Sephiran: “I did.”

Ike: “I don’t need to hear anything else, then. I’m going to make your death as painful as I know how.”

Quite a strong thing to say for a hero when confronting a sympathetic antagonist. And as far as Ike would know, Garon betrayed not just him but also Gunther and got him killed in the process. So Xander and Leo would have to try really hard in order to prevent an escalation right then and there.

Assuming both Ike and Garon would survive that confrontation, Ike would probably try to reason with his siblings. Should that fail, I find it hard to predict how things would go from there. Sure, Ike is the kind of person who would rather not be involved in a mess like that but he does value family a lot, so it would be hard for him to stay out of the whole thing altogether. But he definitely wouldn't stay and work for Garon, especially after learning that even his siblings are terrified of him.

Edited by BrightBow

@BrightBow You've got a very good point there, I didn't think of his confrontation with the villain you're talking about. However, Ike may be brash, but I don't think he'd charge into Garon's throne room and try fighting him there alone. I also wonder how chapter six would've turned out with Ike making the choice; how would he even enter Nohr if Xander and co. get mad at him for not joining them?

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

For quite awhile now I've really wanted to see a Hector Hard Mode hack of FE6 that just replaces Roy with Hector and inexplicably keeps the story almost identical. (I wonder how useful Roy would be as a unit if he was demoted from protagonist status and could promote with a Hero Crest).

Roy promoting with a Hero Crest would be alright imo, probably an inferior option to Rutger (that lovely Crit + 30) but serviceable enough.  He has a good affinity and a quick support with Lilina, and his growths really aren't THAT bad, just average across the board.  His only real trouble in FE6 comes from being stuck during the midgame, imo.

7 hours ago, Thane said:

@BrightBow You've got a very good point there, I didn't think of his confrontation with the villain you're talking about. However, Ike may be brash, but I don't think he'd charge into Garon's throne room and try fighting him there alone. I also wonder how chapter six would've turned out with Ike making the choice; how would he even enter Nohr if Xander and co. get mad at him for not joining them?

Ike(and all other lords and people not totally stupid) would destroy the sword that Garon give to him after it try to kill him after Hans attack Gunter. So his mother will not die. Making him decide to return to Nohr for the truth cause he will not have any reason to not side with them when only thing he know is someone say that woman is his mother and Nohr is bad guys. At least this is what I think normal people will do.

As much fun as it would be to imagine Corrin messing up every Fire Emblem story, I can't say that's entirely true to character. He might be a naive dunce in all routes but he's only a spineless coward in one of them. Conquest Corrin would throw in the towel when the going got rough but Birthright Corrin would stand up in the face of adversity, much like several other FE protagonists.

Anyway, topic question.
Ephraim would side with Hoshido and make a bee-line for Castle Krakenburg before Ryoma wakes up for his morning tea. He'd take 3 men and figure things out along the way there.

1 hour ago, SpearOfLies said:

Ike(and all other lords and people not totally stupid) would destroy the sword that Garon give to him after it try to kill him after Hans attack Gunter. So his mother will not die. Making him decide to return to Nohr for the truth cause he will not have any reason to not side with them when only thing he know is someone say that woman is his mother and Nohr is bad guys. At least this is what I think normal people will do.

Exactly. Eliwood probably wouldn't kept it, as we see he'll abandon swords that make him do things he doesn't like. I'm sure practicing his swan dive is one of them. 

I have one. Chrom in Binding Blade. He dies because he falls for every trap in the book because he doesn't have Robin. Wow... I like Chrom, but he never really thinks about stuff like that. 

Ephraim would side with Hoshido and make a bee-line for Castle Krakenburg before Ryoma wakes up for his morning tea. He'd take 3 men and figure things out along the way there.

Ephraim would beat both into submission and then do Revelations' path before he sat down for dinner. 

Edited by Augestein

Micaiah is the only one I can even imagine siding with Nohr, and even then I have to question whether she's spineless enough to actually follow Garon's orders. In RD, she respected Pelleas even though she may not have liked all of his orders, and didn't listen to Izuka whom she didn't respect. Can't imagine Micaiah being okay with Garon.

31 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Micaiah is the only one I can even imagine siding with Nohr, and even then I have to question whether she's spineless enough to actually follow Garon's orders. In RD, she respected Pelleas even though she may not have liked all of his orders, and didn't listen to Izuka whom she didn't respect. Can't imagine Micaiah being okay with Garon.

Micaiah would side with Nohr but she'd try to find a way to get rid Garon without invading Hoshido after chapter 15 if not earlier. Gooron is a pretty easy challenge when compared to Blood Pacts.

35 minutes ago, Augestein said:

I have one. Chrom in Binding Blade. He dies because he falls for every trap in the book because he doesn't have Robin. Wow... I like Chrom, but he never really thinks about stuff like that.

It's been a while since I played Binding Blade but was it really that trap laden? I only remember that once castle where the lord was murdered and Roy sensed something wrong.

Edited by NekoKnight

39 minutes ago, Augestein said:

I can see him in Fates. Whatever path he will take, he will be similar to Corrin, but not bad as him(at least for conquest, birthright will be same). I fear he get stock to choose which path take without Robin(or Felicia/Gunter/Azura/Silas whoever take Robin role).

1 hour ago, Jave said:

Not a Lord, but replace FE4 Gen 2 Manfroy with any other villain in the series and the bad guys would have actually won.

Manfroy screwed up in a major way at the end of the game but overall I don't think many other villains would have been devious enough to pull out the victory Manfroy did in the first place.

Hmm, an interesting question. I take it this is all just taking the Lord from a setting and just transplant them into the other, instead of letting them native to the new setting? Or can both apply in discussion?

Anyway... hmm, I would think most Lords would have it rough in Jugdral, if only mostly due to the Holy Blood system. If they can come with the special weapons from their own settings, then maybe for some it can be doable, maybe... On the flip side, not carrying the baggage, both good and bad, that Sigurd does is bound to led to quite the branching.

2 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

It's been a while since I played Binding Blade but was it really that trap laden? I only remember that once castle where the lord was murdered and Roy sensed something wrong.

There were a few moments where people would try to bait Roy to do certain things to cause him to fail. They weren't necessarily just traps in the "ambush you," but political problems as well. 

Speaking of, I would think the resolution of Ch 8/8x would've gone way different without Roy, maybe. Dialogue states that it only really happen because Roy asked Cecilia for Etruria to help them, and she apparently put quite the effort to convince the King. I just can't see any other being able to replicate that.

17 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Imagine if it were Trial Map Hector/Eliwood.

On 25/02/2017 at 0:29 AM, Sunwoo said:

Actually I think that Micaiah would return to Nohr, but would give up her royal title, and either be like Elise in Birthright and live with the common folk or she would try to do a revolution with the oppressed ones. She would even try to ally with Hoshido.

On 24/02/2017 at 9:56 AM, Glaceon Mage said:

There's a way for Hector to survive without stealing Roy's spotlight: He accompanies the main party to Ostia, saves his daughter, then defends Lycia as Roy marches to Etruria. Later, Roy comes back to see Lycia heavily overmatched by Bern, with Hector barely holding his own. After dealing with the Bernian army, they split to Ilia/Sacae (depending on the player's choice), then merge at Bern for a final assault.