Skill Inheritance Discussion.

Ewwgene

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Seal Def/Res would not stack with Deathly Dagger, so I wouldn't go with either of those. I'm not actually sure if Poison Strike stacks (so someone else come answer that please), but if it did then I'd definitely go with that. But if not, a Breaker skill would probably be good, to help him double units he doesn't normally. I'd personally go with one of the 3 Tomebreakers (depending on whether Tharja, Linde, or Nino/Julia gives your team more trouble) or maybe Daggerbreaker for matchups against Kagero. Bowbreaker seems unnecessary since neutral Jaffar doubles neutral Takumi already. 

This particular team is Jaffar/Effie/Olivia and Leo (although I might switch him for a healer). I suppose Linde would be a the biggest threat? Robin M is another pain in the butt but he might 1 shot Jaffar with Blarraven so I dunno if B Tomebreaker would let him win that match up.

3 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

This particular team is Jaffar/Effie/Olivia and Leo (although I might switch him for a healer). I suppose Linde would be a the biggest threat? Robin M is another pain in the butt but he might 1 shot Jaffar with Blarraven so I dunno if B Tomebreaker would let him win that match up.

Yeah blue mages are probably the biggest threat. Not sure what to do about Robin though (except maybe walk up and smack him with Effie, but obviously that doesn't always work out) since B Tomebreaker wouldn't do much (especially since a lot of Robins post-SI have been running Triangle Adept). 

13 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Yeah blue mages are probably the biggest threat. Not sure what to do about Robin though (except maybe walk up and smack him with Effie, but obviously that doesn't always work out) since B Tomebreaker wouldn't do much (especially since a lot of Robins post-SI have been running Triangle Adept). 

Jaffar is colorless though, so I don't think Triangle Adept would affect him.

Just now, NekoKnight said:

Jaffar is colorless though, so I don't think Triangle Adept would affect him.

Triangle Adept works with the -raven tomes, so Robin would destroy colorless units (like Jaffar) even harder than he does already. 

37 minutes ago, Sylphid said:

What do people usually inherit to Sharena? Her default skills are strong enough and she's such an all-rounder on my team I'm finding it hard to decide what she would like.

Personally, this is mine: 

I already had Speed +3 on her at 4*'s before Skill Inheritance got added, and I thought it would be a waste to pick something else. Plus, more speed is never bad. For the rest, I put a lot of worth on utility skills as Draw Back (which I use on every character almost) and Drag back. Moonbow is just one of the best skills in general I believe because of the low CD.

47 minutes ago, Sylphid said:

What do people usually inherit to Sharena? Her default skills are strong enough and she's such an all-rounder on my team I'm finding it hard to decide what she would like.

I gave mine Swordbreaker because she's my team's primary anti-red unit, and while she's fast, she's not quite fast enough to double everyone. This fixes that problem and allows her to ORKO literally every sword lord in Arena. I actually gave mine Pavise because she already overkills any sword with Swordbreaker, so extra damage is unnecessary. Instead, I opted for keeping her alive and healthy enough to take on multiple reds if need be (fairly common in Arena). Another option is to give her a healing special, like Noontime, but I didn't simply because I only have a limited amount of units with those to sacrifice and some of my other units need it more. 

Thanks for the input @Birdy and @MaskedAmpharos, all good suggestions.

Draw Back sounds pretty nice, since having it (possibly on more than one character) could let me switch Olivia to a swordie with higher BST (not completely exchangeable, but still). Hopefully I can pull someone with it in the future. Drag Back I hadn't actually considered at all, due to Knock Back trauma :P:

Swordbreaker actually makes me think of Lancebreaker, since I don't have many greens (I used Narcien and fRobin this far, but only because they were the bonus characters available to me). Defensive Sharena is actually something I had considered before, though with Renewal rather than a defensive special.

5 hours ago, Sylphid said:

I gave mine Draw Back, since it's much better than Rally Attack at high levels, and I'm planning on giving her something in the Ignis or Luna trees for a special. I'd like her to get Swordbreaker eventually, at least after this season ends so she can fully take over Sully's role, but I don't have any extra Swordbreaker characters at the moment so I've been going with Vantage for now. Long term, I think it might be helpful to upgrade her Speed +3 and Fortify Def into Fury and Spur Def, although Fury would conflict with Swordbreaker and even if I had access to it, I'm not sure I'd want to use it until the matchmaking system gets updated.

Edited by Othin

Has anyone encountered or is running a mage calvary team? There are lots of talk around them but I've seen none. In theory the blade tomes and hone/goad calvary sound frightening.

Just thinking whether I should start grinding to build a mage counter.

34 minutes ago, OKigen said:

Has anyone encountered or is running a mage calvary team? There are lots of talk around them but I've seen none. In theory the blade tomes and hone/goad calvary sound frightening.

Likely a combination of the fact that it takes time to train the team, takes time to farm the SP to learn the skills, and the stat total ends up being relatively low.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Likely a combination of the fact that it takes time to train the team, takes time to farm the SP to learn the skills, and the stat total ends up being relatively low.

Might the random terrain also play a role?

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Might the random terrain also play a role?

Probably less of an issue than the others. You can get a decent setup with all 4 members with only Hone Cavalry. You can't trust the AI or terrain to move in an optimal square for both Hone Cavalry and Fortify Cavalry to be active on everyone every turn, but as long as the AI moves together, you can get everyone with Hone Cavalry for the +18 Atk bonus.

What do you guys think of a defensive Eliwood (assuming in a cavalry team with Goad and Hone Cavalry)?

• HP: 39
  • Atk: 50
  • Spd: 26
  • Def: 23/26
  • Res: 32
  • Weapon: Durandal
  • Passive: Rally Defense/Resistance
  • Special: Escutcheon
  • A: Armored Blow/Def+3
  • B: Seal Atk
  • C: Ward Cavalry

The idea is to have him stay alive during physical combat as long as possible in order to help Reinhardt obliterating opposing units.

1 hour ago, pianime94 said:

What do you guys think of a defensive Eliwood (assuming in a cavalry team with Goad and Hone Cavalry)?

• HP: 39
  • Atk: 50
  • Spd: 26
  • Def: 23/26
  • Res: 32
  • Weapon: Durandal
  • Passive: Rally Defense/Resistance
  • Special: Escutcheon
  • A: Armored Blow/Def+3
  • B: Seal Atk
  • C: Ward Cavalry

The idea is to have him stay alive during physical combat as long as possible in order to help Reinhardt obliterating opposing units.

Sounds decent in theory since defense is something Eliwood struggles with, but knowing what he survives with this setup would help a lot, I think. 

2 hours ago, OKigen said:

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

Actually, I wound up getting a 5* Leo and a 4* Cecilia to go along with Ursula, so I will likely be attempting this at some point lol (not my highest priority, but... yeah). Unfortunately I was dumb and merged both of my free Gunters so I only have the one Goad (or Hone? IDR) Cavalry unit for fodder but I'm thinking it could be decent. I've also got Eliwood and Abel for physical and Ward Cav in Eliwood's case, but unfortunately no Blade tomes to pass them that I'm willing to give up (got one Nino and she's too good not to use haha ;; ).

EDIT: @Sylphid I think Sharena is one of those units that is gonna be really versatile in terms of what they can run; my suggestion would be figure out what your other units want first and see how she can be tailored to help them or even just be a standalone badass.

Edited by BANRYU

10 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Source material, I guess.

I get it, Sophia is slow, 2 VA with a meh 30% Speed Growth Rate, and finishing with something between 11 Speed/10 VA (10/10) and 15 Speed/14 VA (20/10).

I understand why she is one of the slowest characters... but come on! This is even slower that the slow characters with Brave Weapons (with the only exception being Reinhardt)

2 minutes ago, Troykv said:

I get it, Sophia is slow, 2 VA with a meh 30% Speed Growth Rate, and finishing with something between 11 Speed/10 VA (10/10) and 15 Speed/14 VA (20/10).

I understand why she is one of the slowest characters... but come on! This is even slower that the slow characters with Brave Weapons (with the only exception being Reinhardt)

It's a shame, Sophia reeeeeeally needed Wary Fighter in order to be passable IMO ~__~ I guess her next best bet is some kind of breaker...

2 hours ago, OKigen said:

Cavalry teams rely a lot on good positioning, which you can't rely on the AI for, so they're going to be far more common on offense teams than defense teams. A lot of people have completely separate offense and defense teams after all.

Edited by MaskedAmpharos

3 hours ago, OKigen said:

Haven't seen any in the arena, but I was bringing one up for the Training Tower quest (Gunter/Jagen/Cecilia/Ursula, where Cecilia has Gronnblade & Ursula has Blárblade) and Cecilia was absolutely destroying the 10th Stratum (the lowest number I saw with full +6 buffs was a 26 against a Caeda. Most of the damage numbers were 40s-60s). Ursula was too, sorta, but not as effectively.

As to why they're not too prominent on defensive Arena teams, in addition to everything that's already been said, there's also availability factors. It's pretty difficult to get a -blade+ tome (especially Blárblade, as Odin has never been available as a natural 5*) in the first place, much less pass it to someone and then have them gather the SP to pick it up. Then there's also that only 3 tome cavs are natural 5*s (and 2 of them would be using Blárblade). That sort of expands on the rating thing in that a full team of cavs would probably not have a very high rating.

Also, the natural Gronnblade & Rauðrblade users are pretty good (Odin's good in his own way, I guess, but I'd pick Nino or Tharja over him any day). It'd be pretty hard to justify taking those tomes off of them, imo.

Edited by LordFrigid

1 hour ago, DevilinXIII said:

Seen lots about TA and some sort of breaker skill on (M)Robin...just wondering what people thought about having Renewal on a +Def/-Res (M)Robin just to have him tank?

That seems like it COULD be pretty good, though it means you have to work with a different A-skill other than Defiant Speed since otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose of having that. Personally, I tend to prefer working with what a unit has if the skills are good to begin with, so I'd be more inclined to choose something that doesn't clash with it so much. 

For f!Robin it might work allright though...??

EDIT: Okay so @Troykv mentioned Sophia earlier and I've been trying to think of ways to make her usable... If she can't avoid being doubled because her speed is so abominable, there must be other ways to work around that-- so the obvious choice in that regard are skills like Quick Riposte and Breakers (weapon breakers specifically rather than Tomebreakers, since she has few worries about neutral and advantageous magic matchups) and skills that boost her survivability in other ways like Threaten Attack, Def/Res+, and Defiant Def/Res (if using Raudrblade+, assuming you would want to scrap Tharja for Sophia which as most people have pointed out you typically wouldn't lol). COULD Sophia be anything beyond bottom-tier material with a set like that? She actually has decent bulk, so if she had the skill set to use it, I can't help but wonder. 

Edited by BANRYU

24 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

That seems like it COULD be pretty good, though it means you have to work with a different A-skill other than Defiant Speed since otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose of having that. Personally, I tend to prefer working with what a unit has if the skills are good to begin with, so I'd be more inclined to choose something that doesn't clash with it so much.

Thanks for the input, A-skill will more than likely end up running with Triangle Adept...so throughout his speed will be neutral