"I just want to know one thing!"- Shadows of Valentia Edition

1. How essential are the L & R Buttons for gameplay? My 3DS does not have working L&R buttons. 

I ask this because I am hesitant in buying a New 3DS XL since it was originally released in 2015 (Oct 2014 in JPN). With E3 in June, I am wondering if Nintendo will announce a successor to the 3DS line or yet another upgrade to the handheld.

My current 3DS has worn down over the years (had it since launch - I am a 3DS Ambassador!). I can play Awakening and Fates just fine without the L&R Buttons, so I am wondering if I am do the same for Echoes.

2. For the Alm and Celica amiibo, how exactly do their special dungeons work and do they have any other functions besides their special summon?

When picking up Echoes, I also want to try and get the Alm and Celica amiibo. Besides collecting them (and eventually Ike, Robin, and Lucina), I want to know the specifics of their function to use as influence on my possible purchase of a New 3DS.
Thanks in advance for your help!

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I just want to share a redditor on r/fireemblem found here:

"Just gonna put this here in the case somebody doesn't know: You know how the game asks if you wanna recruit somebody? This is for the purpose of going there later with the other Lord to pick up that unit. I got Faye as Celica this way."

Can someone here test if this is true? Because this is a huge discovery.

1 hour ago, huythekirby said:

"Just gonna put this here in the case somebody doesn't know: You know how the game asks if you wanna recruit somebody? This is for the purpose of going there later with the other Lord to pick up that unit. I got Faye as Celica this way."

How the heck can Celica go down to Ram Village? Isn't the path to the village blocked off by the landslide? 

2 minutes ago, Leif said:

How the heck can Celica go down to Ram Village? Isn't the path to the village blocked off by the landslide? 

She could in Gaiden, before she entered Zofia Castle.

DodgeDusk did it by accident in our joint LP.

9 hours ago, Sire said:

1. How essential are the L & R Buttons for gameplay? My 3DS does not have working L&R buttons. 

It should be fine, I guess. R switches camera view on map (2 zoom versions), and L is used to switch to next available unit or skip battle animation, like in previous 3ds titles. They can also make navigating the item menu a bit easier, but they're not necessary for anything beyond those things.

Also confirming here that Celica can go all the way down to Ram before entering Sofia Castle. I didn't think of leaving anyone down there to add to her party though

Edited by NaokiP

On 4/5/2017 at 11:50 AM, NaokiP said:

My question: Has anyone figured out how many supports each unit can have?
Are we back to 5-per unit limit? That would honestly kind of suck for understanding the new personalities and interactions they came up with for all the characters, so I'm keeping most units from advancing any supports they have unlocked so far.

Also, does the calendar system really mean anything gameplay-wise or is it just there as eye candy? Are we running on a timer? I don't recall turn number having any impact on how Gaiden played out, but the game has made no reference to it so far.

I also wonder if there are any story repercussions to (over)using Mila's Gear, but I don't feel up to experimenting with it on my first playthough. I'll just play without it.

1. Support convos are unlimited from what I can tell, but some require you to get to certain chapters to unlock them. Valbar and Leon get up to B support in Ch 3 and you need to be in Ch 4 to get their A support and etc.
  2. I don't think they do much...because I spent at least 100+ days in Ch 3 and then when I got to Ch 4 it reset to a certain day in year 401
  3. Haven't abused Mila's Gear, but that thing has saved my ass from soft resetting on entire dungeons (late game dungeons are LONG) so I say you can do without it early game. Also there are items to increase the gear uses

I ask again - are there any Dragonshields besides the one Desaix has on him in chapter 1? And assuming I was to somehow defeat him then, would he have another when faced later?

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

20 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I ask again - are there any Dragonshields besides the one Desaix has on him in chapter 1? And assuming I was to somehow defeat him then, would he have another when faced later?

Well, if you meant on Alm's route, no. I haven't seen another droppable one for them....

Spoiler

BUT you can get one in Celica's route if you manage to beat Judah in the swamp map

Edited by kynimdraws

14 hours ago, huythekirby said:

this was totally possible in gaiden, so I wouldn't doubt it

the thing I'm more curious about is if there are unique conversations or if they just join you without saying anything

because in gaiden if you did that, the results were kind of odd 

Spoiler

99YqtDe.png

NozVJy4.png

58 minutes ago, unique said:

if there are unique conversations or if they just join you without saying anything

I've only checked Kliff and Faye but they do get different lines if it's Celica asking them to join instead of Alm

thanks

I kinda wonder how that's gonna play out, since it doesn't seem like it was even there intentionally in the NES version, and there's not much reason for celica to be going there to begin with

but I guess i'll just have to see that for myself

14 minutes ago, unique said:

thanks

I kinda wonder how that's gonna play out, since it doesn't seem like it was even there intentionally in the NES version, and there's not much reason for celica to be going there to begin with

but I guess i'll just have to see that for myself

I also noticed that Celica gets some special dialogue visiting Ram Village in general. Didn't know there were further addictions with her recruiting Kliff and Faye, that's very interesting.

Uh, any way to get unique sidequest items again? I know I picked up the woman's son's journal for the mountain village quest but it's nowhere to be found in my inventory for either army or in the dungeon when i revisit it. Guess I dropped it by accident

6 minutes ago, TheWerdna said:

Can you carry around multiple weapons at once like in later FE games, or are you limited to 1 weapon equipped at a time.

You're limited to one item.

8 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

You're limited to one item.

Do we know how that works with the shields and rings? Like, if you have a ring or a shield, does it prevent you from attacking?

Edited by TheWerdna

15 minutes ago, TheWerdna said:

Do we know how that works with the shields and rings? Like, if you have a ring or a shield, does it prevent you from attacking?

If a unit doesn't have a weapon equipped or they have a shield, ring or other item like food equipped they will use a basic version of their weapon example, Alm with an orange equipped will use a basic sword when attacking. Said weapon has no special properties unlike other weapons.

17 minutes ago, Azz said:

If a unit doesn't have a weapon equipped or they have a shield, ring or other item like food equipped they will use a basic version of their weapon example, Alm with an orange equipped will use a basic sword when attacking. Said weapon has no special properties unlike other weapons.

Ah, that's a bit disappointing. Would have been really cool to mix and match a weapon plus a shield/ring