New info on FE Warriors

54 minutes ago, MMXZero said:

You do realize Olivia can fight with a sword and she is the most recognizable dancer in Fire Emblem right now, right? 

I think Azura disagrees.  Then again, Azura uses a lance by default.

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Book Bro said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the whole point of this game is fanservice. Why are some acting surprised that people might have been interested for the sole reason that their favourite characters might have made an appearance?

Like isn't this game basically "control your favourite FE characters in fully 3D battles"? So why is it a bad thing if someone was more interested in playing Hector rather than "the Musou gameplay"?

While I understand this initial thought (after all, I literally only got into Soul Caliber because the Gamecube version of its 2nd entry had Link), anyone whose played a Warriors crossover series would know this to be false. IF that were actually the case, then the game should never have been a crossover to begin with, and instead, IS/Nintendo create Fire Emblem's own sub series/spin off game. A great example of this is Dissidia Final Fantasy: an FF fighting game that features both heroes and villains of every single main entry of the series.

With this game, it is no such thing. It's a crossover between two very different games, and to be a proper crossover game, has to merge the features of both, instead of basically being a Warriors game but dressed as Fire Emblem (meaning, another basic Warriors game with the same, repetitive game play with varying systems, that to those unfamiliar with it believe it to being a basic button masher game that they're not interested in, but suddenly flip the switch because its cast is from somewhere else entirely), as many seemed to have believed/wished it to be. And even though the whole "too many swords" reason sounds really dumb at first sight, contradiction aside, given the nature of the crossover game's Fire Emblem features (weapon triangle, class system AND strategy elements), Koei Techmo is literally saying up front that with the way they're making the game, it doesn't allow that. Take a look at the actual statement:

They were listening when so many people wished and wished and wished for such a game. KT, with Nintendo supervision, are trying to to deliver that dream while simultaneously making a solid game that wouldn't just attract fans of the series but also those who probably never touched either series, yet despite all of this, based on reactions to this reveal of information, both in this very thread and elsewhere, apparently this fan base would throw away all of that..... just because their favorite character couldn't get into the base game???? Its a bummer at worst, but not enough to say "this game sucks now" or "there goes all my interest in this game", which is where I sympathize with @shadowofchaos's frustration

No disrespect to you of course. Tis merely a general statement for having finally been able to accurately articulate my reaction to this info, and.... well, your post gave me the perfect lead in out of the many posts that I would have chimed in on earlier yesterday, had the thread not moved so fast

Edited by Motendra

I wasn't hyped for this game -- on the contrary, I kept forgetting it existed. So I'm almost certain I won't be getting it now if the roster consists of "mostly" or "only" characters from SD, Awakening, and Fates, since there's nothing to pique my interest about it.

@Jave Funny that you're still going on about a "smaller, more focused cast" when they've confirmed it'll have the "largest cast of a first installment Musou crossover".

Just now, The DanMan said:

@Jave Funny that you're still going on about a "smaller, more focused cast" when they've confirmed it'll have the "largest cast of a first installment Musou crossover".

We still don't know how big it's going to be. It also is smaller and focused compared to picking from over 200 characters and possibly making up interactions from scratch.

Good post by Motendra.

I have to wonder if the opposite was true with a crossover of a Dynasty Warriors game in a Fire Emblem turn based strategy style game (ignoring the fact that DW already has a Tactics spinoff), and the hypothetical main concern from people in the Warriors fanbase is that it doesn't have Zhuge Liang, or this character or that character (we get enough of that from the mainline games). As a fan of Fire Emblem, I'm not sure I would be pleased that people were willing to drop the entire concept of a crossover over that.

Edited by Tryhard

Just now, Folt said:

We still don't know how big it's going to be. It also is smaller and focused compared to picking from over 200 characters and possibly making up interactions from scratch.

True, but that quote basically confirms we're looking at 20+ when some of us feared it could be in the low-mid teens.

Just now, The DanMan said:

True, but that quote basically confirms we're looking at 20+ when some of us feared it could be in the low-mid teens.

low-mid teens or 20+, a more restrictive focus is a boon either way because as many of you have been saying: There are loads and loads of characters in Fire Emblem. The danger of having to come up with interactions on the spot in addition to why those particular characters would have a reason to go together/fight one another was a very real fear of mine as it doesn't have the nature that a series like Super Smash Bros. has in terms of getting away with "Here's some characters from some games. They are now fighting against one another. That's it!" With these news however, those fears are laid to rest.

It doesn't have to be all protagonists. They could be more selective in regards to playstyle while still having proper representation for each game. However, that would require actual thought, it also wouldn't make them any money.

1 minute ago, Sayyyaka said:

It doesn't have to be all protagonists. They could be more selective in regards to playstyle while still having proper representation for each game. However, that would require actual thought, it also wouldn't make them any money.

And if they don't make any money, we won't see sequels.

Which is why (among other things) restricting it to the first game + the two most popular games is a sound decision.

10 hours ago, eclipse said:

Quick, name the continent that Heroes takes place on!

Now name the continent that Fates takes place on.

If you want to see how another FE crossover went, please check out Project X Zone 2.  Yes, it was a lot of different worlds, but the FE section is, uh, pretty bad.

that game was just an excuse to go full out mugen between Capcom, Sega, and Namco.

I'll say this, FE Warriors has lost a lot of appeal to a lot of people, I think people are just to say it's going to suck, if a game has no appeal to you what's the point of picking it up or taking any intrest in it. If they had just said there will be some characters from other games there wouldn't be this much salt.

like some people like DOOM 3, it's a good game according to the general audience, but it has no appeal to me in it's gameplay or design, to me it just kind of sucks

if Smash Bros. was just made up of OC I don't think it would be anywhere near as popular as it is today

it makes finical sense to do it the way their doing it, I still don't care for it.

19 hours ago, Tryhard said:

I don't know if it's just me but those OCs remind me of a Fire Emblem version of Patroklos and Pyrrha from Soul Calibur V.

19 hours ago, DIO said:

THAT'S where I know them from! That was doing my head in for the past few hours, thanks.

...Oh crap, you don't think they're going to turn out like THOSE two bundles of mess, do you?

19 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

Won't be the first time we got something vaguely resembling twincest in FE, I'll tell you that much.

I'm gonna try to hope for the best on this one.

It pleases me to no ends that people still remembers Soul Calibur. Even if it is the worse one.

Seriously fuck you Patroklos

13 hours ago, shadowofchaos said:

It's much more fun to hang out with the people making fun lightheartedly of it being Dragon ball musou.

Wait, this is the thing in the DBZ fandom. We want a Musou style game?

11 hours ago, Cysx said:

I'm not going to write off this game just yet, especially with E3 around the corner and my Switch mostly being used to play Mark of the wolves of all games lately, but, man does this announcement suck. And while I do love to hate Awakening and Akaneia in general, my main problem here is that I was really hoping that they were past pretending two thirds of this series never existed. We have Cipher, Heroes, SoV, and all of these were steps in the right direction, so, why?

I'm fully aware that dlc is happening and likely "fixing" this, but still that just feels like bad PR, especially with the swords excuse and all. Besides, I didn't see any newer fan complaining that they didn't recognize half of the characters in Heroes, and it doesn't feel like the other side specifically doesn't want Awakening/Fates characters... they just want to see equal representation. It's perfectly possible to please both crowds is what I'm saying here, to an extent anyway.

QFT

11 hours ago, Hardin said:

How were they not upfront about this? The debut trailer was extremely clear about what was happening, this isn't a bait and switch like what happened with TMS. 

Still don't see why they couldn't just say that Day 1, but hey apparently is more business like to keep info for the 3 months or so. What would I know it's not like I'm actually smart enough to know any of this.

11 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Watch, Lyn's gonna cost 5.99 a week after the game drops.

DID SOMEBODY SAY SEASON PASS!!!!

10 hours ago, Cysx said:

I kinda like how people have to answer in my place because I write so horribly slowly tonight. And in general. Though I guess that was the basic idea yes, thanks phineas81707.

I feel that with how much love this series' past has been getting from IS lately, especially compared to how it's been since Awakening's release, it was natural to be hopeful. Hence why a clear announcement would have been better imo.

QFT

10 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

Nah? She'll likely be in the vanilla game if anything.

That was bad...

wELL PLAYED SIRE.

10 hours ago, Aegis Gray said:

I'll just quickly get my two cents out of the way and may or may not disappear for a while. Haven't been on this forum in years haha.

The ancient Aegis has finally awoken from his slumber. Just as the prophesy has foretold.

O god why I did spent 2 hours reading this thread. Everyone was just complaining & i still haven't said my complaints. It can't be too late to complain now. Why I didn't whine like everyone else did? Why did I spend 2 hours trying to quote people?

Edited by Zangetsu

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:

You're missing the point. By having the cast focused on only three universes, they can write a less convoluted story which has higher chances of being enjoyable, at least in my POV. 

Example: We know Marth and Chrom are playable, so they can add characters like Caeda, Jagen, Merric, Robin, Frederick and Lissa without any major issues because we know those characters are strongly connected to Marth and Chrom. They're part of their universes so they fit just fine.  

Now, compare that to, say, adding in Sigurd, Roy, Eirika and Ike. That's less characters than the example above, but each of them open a different can of worms because now you have to connect four additional universes to the story. You can't just put Roy in Ylisse and expect people to be fine with that, they would want an explanation and it just adds things to keep track of. 

That's what I mean by a smaller, focused cast. Not necessarily in terms of numbers of characters but more in terms of groups of characters. 

And really dude, I would appreciate if you could be less patronizing when replying to my posts. I've always held the position that a more focused cast would benefit the game in a way I would enjoy it more, so that's an opinion I expect others to respect even if they disagree with it (and I can definitely understand why people wouldn't agree with my position).

1 hour ago, Jave said:

You're missing the point. By having the cast focused on only three universes, they can write a less convoluted story which has higher chances of being enjoyable, at least in my POV. 

Example: We know Marth and Chrom are playable, so they can add characters like Caeda, Jagen, Merric, Robin, Frederick and Lissa without any major issues because we know those characters are strongly connected to Marth and Chrom. They're part of their universes so they fit just fine.  

Now, compare that to, say, adding in Sigurd, Roy, Eirika and Ike. That's less characters than the example above, but each of them open a different can of worms because now you have to connect four additional universes to the story. You can't just put Roy in Ylisse and expect people to be fine with that, they would want an explanation and it just adds things to keep track of. 

That's what I mean by a smaller, focused cast. Not necessarily in terms of numbers of characters but more in terms of groups of characters. 

And really dude, I would appreciate if you could be less patronizing when replying to my posts. I've always held the position that a more focused cast would benefit the game in a way I would enjoy it more, so that's an opinion I expect others to respect even if they disagree with it (and I can definitely understand why people wouldn't agree with my position).

I'm not trying to be patronizing; as I said, I just find it funny how we've got confirmation that the roster will be a bit larger than most realists were expecting. No disrespect was meant.

7 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I'm not trying to be patronizing; as I said, I just find it funny how we've got confirmation that the roster will be a bit larger than most realists were expecting. No disrespect was meant.

If that was your point, I'm not particularly sure why you specifically mentioned me in your post. 

Bear in mind that, in the prediction thread, and with the Akaneia/Ylisse/Hoshido/Nohr limitation, I predicted 24 characters in the base game, so this reveal is pretty close to what I expected from the game. 

Edited by Jave

7 hours ago, MMXZero said:

You do realize Olivia can fight with a sword and she is the most recognizable dancer in Fire Emblem right now, right? 

6 hours ago, eclipse said:

Well, is she considered a dancer since she sings? I know it works the same, but it might work as a technicality. I'm just not sure that Olivia would be considered the favorite.

4 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I essentially have been using HW as my base for expectations since they are both Nintendo crossovers and it's my only Warriors game.

The reason they gave for not including the main Lords from all the games was that they all used swords. I find this excuse disgusting.png.775684b9aeeb2222a9614a523eb13493.png

Oh, I suppose there's also Hector and Celica, but no-one cares about either of those two.

Edited by The_antithesis

Just now, The_antithesis said:

The reason they gave for not including the main Lords from all the games was that they all used swords. I find this excuse disgusting.png.775684b9aeeb2222a9614a523eb13493.png

Oh, I suppose there's also Hector and Celica, but no-one cares about either of those two.

Did you just say that no one cares about Hector? I bet that will trigger a lot of people and why does everyone forget Micaiah exists?

So have people talked about the new scans yet? I've tried translating the first page, and it's about what you'd expect, but I haven't taken the time to try and get a solid enough understanding of the rest of the pages, since I'm a bit busy.

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

So have people talked about the new scans yet? I've tried translating the first page, and it's about what you'd expect, but I haven't taken the time to try and get a solid enough understanding of the rest of the pages, since I'm a bit busy.

From what you've translated so far, what does it say? I'm curious.

8 hours ago, eclipse said:

Azura's a singer, silly.

Speaking of which, as someone practically blind to Warriors games, would the rejuvenating effects of dancing/singing be able to somehow be implemented into this game?

19 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Azura's a singer, silly.

Speaking of which, as someone practically blind to Warriors games, would the rejuvenating effects of dancing/singing be able to somehow be implemented into this game?

It could be.

The Warriors series have things called stratagems that can boost the stats of the allied army for an amount of time. Considering the game likely won't be turn-based, there is a chance they may make the dancers'/songstress' dance/song into a special stratagem only she can use as I think there is a Warriors game where each officer has like a special ability like that - Empires, I think.

Edited by saisymbolic

1 hour ago, Lord Raymond said:

Did you just say that no one cares about Hector? I bet that will trigger a lot of people and why does everyone forget Micaiah exists?

I was trying to be ironic.