General Warriors & FE Warriors Questions Thread

Jedi

12 hours ago, Jave said:

It doesn't help he's cherrypicking bad comments and focusing on those.

The good-to-bad comments ratio on GAF isn't honestly that different to that of this site. It's just that because it's a much larger site, the bad ones tend to stick out.

Most of the rest were "So just another Warriors game", "Looks rough", "dark killing them softly". There's one positive comment talking about how much of a step up it is over HW an another on how they're interested in local multiplayer, but the ones that do stick out are DF and a couple of others just backhandedly (or directly) shitting on Warriors games.

Neogaf always has plenty of stinkers. Pretty much every single thread has a few cynical asshats/trolls (no Switch thread is complete without multiple people trying to argue that it "isn't a modern console" because "muh graphics"; pretty much every Monster Hunter discussion pre-World got derailed into people begging, and when it was announced people were all too willing to express their satisfaction at the series "leaving the Nintendo ghetto"; let's not forget the multitude of complaint threads after Pokemon USM was announced, including the massive "Is Gamefreak Nintendo's least competent developer?"). It's not post for post, thread for thread as bad gamefaqs, but it's more centralized-- making the stupid stuff stick out all the more.

11 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

Hero mode in HW was actually hard.

Never played HW, so couldn't say.

I guess I'm just used to the Musou series' recently-found moderate critical acclaim and never really saw the vocal hatedom up to this point.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Most of the rest were "So just another Warriors game", "Looks rough", "dark killing them softly". There's one positive comment talking about how much of a step up it is over HW an another on how they're interested in local multiplayer, but the ones that do stick out are DF and a couple of others just backhandedly (or directly) shitting on Warriors games.

Neogaf always has plenty of stinkers. Pretty much every single thread has a few cynical asshats/trolls (no Switch thread is complete without multiple people trying to argue that it "isn't a modern console" because "muh graphics"; pretty much every Monster Hunter discussion pre-World got derailed into people begging, and when it was announced people were all too willing to express their satisfaction at the series "leaving the Nintendo ghetto"; let's not forget the multitude of complaint threads after Pokemon USM was announced, including the massive "Is Gamefreak Nintendo's least competent developer?"). It's not post for post, thread for thread as bad gamefaqs, but it's more centralized-- making the stupid stuff stick out all the more.

Never played HW, so couldn't say.

I guess I'm just used to the Musou series' recently-found moderate critical acclaim and never really saw the vocal hatedom up to this point.

Those are for the most part gut reactions, which as I've said aren't any worse overall than they are on most discussion boards, even here on SF. The comments on Switch threads can indeed be annoying, but again, even SF is guilty about similar stuff. 

Personally I think GAF really shines in official talkbacks for games, since they have zero tolerance for people trolling on those. Their OT for TMS#FE was particularly great, and much better discussion than anything we had on SF. 

I'm not denying GAF has its fare share of problems, but I think you're making them look a lot worse than it really is. 

34 minutes ago, Jave said:

Those are for the most part gut reactions, which as I've said aren't any worse overall than they are on most discussion boards, even here on SF. The comments on Switch threads can indeed be annoying, but again, even SF is guilty about similar stuff. 

Personally I think GAF really shines in official talkbacks for games, since they have zero tolerance for people trolling on those. Their OT for TMS#FE was particularly great, and much better discussion than anything we had on SF. 

I'm not denying GAF has its fare share of problems, but I think you're making them look a lot worse than it really is. 

OTs tend to be alright, yeah (though OTs for MS published games do tend to suffer trolling that isn't fully punished)-- it's that the stuff that hangs around on the front page can be pretty poor.

We've had a few poor gut reactions and cynical drivebys, but due to its smaller nature SF manages to be far better IMO. I think that's the deal overall, really: larger, broader gaming forums tend to be more poorly moderated and just all over the place. Smaller, more dedicated sites tend to be calmer and more unified, but at the expense of potentially becoming an echo chamber (take the Pokemon subreddit: lotta people are making their hatred for SM known at nearly every opportunity. Even then, there's cases like the FE sub that's really begun to moderate over the past year).

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:

OTs tend to be alright, yeah (though OTs for MS published games do tend to suffer trolling that isn't fully punished)-- it's that the stuff that hangs around on the front page can be pretty poor.

We've had a few poor gut reactions and cynical drivebys, but due to its smaller nature SF manages to be far better IMO. I think that's the deal overall, really: larger, broader gaming forums tend to be more poorly moderated and just all over the place. Smaller, more dedicated sites tend to be calmer and more unified, but at the expense of potentially becoming an echo chamber (take the Pokemon subreddit: lotta people are making their hatred for SM known at nearly every opportunity. Even then, there's cases like the FE sub that's really begun to moderate over the past year).

The TMS section here was full of people making fun of anyone who even wanted to play it however, calling them the trash or weeb gutter trash of the fandom, it wasn't pretty.

30 minutes ago, Jedi said:

The TMS section here was full of people making fun of anyone who even wanted to play it however, calling them the trash or weeb gutter trash of the fandom, it wasn't pretty.

I joined a while after the April 2015 Direct-- from what I saw there was a brief influx of that stuff before it largely faded into disinterest. 

I and others expressed disappointment in it, but I don't remember much in the way of actually insulting others or being overtly hyperbolic about it. I said that they "went for the lowest common denominator", but I was somewhat unaware of the negative connotations of it.

43 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I joined a while after the April 2015 Direct-- from what I saw there was a brief influx of that stuff before it largely faded into disinterest. 

I and others expressed disappointment in it, but I don't remember much in the way of actually insulting others or being overtly hyperbolic about it. I said that they "went for the lowest common denominator", but I was somewhat unaware of the negative connotations of it.

You also used the LCD remark when referring to the people FE:W was being aimed at after the reveal that the roster was going to be mainly FE1/3/13/14, and you even compared it directly to TMS. Where you also unaware of the negative connotations then?

Edited by Jave

41 minutes ago, Jave said:

You also used the LCD remark when referring to the people FE:W was being aimed at after the reveal that the roster was going to be mainly FE1/3/13/14, and you even compared it directly to TMS. Where you also unaware of the negative connotations then?

I was aware then-- I just didn't care in the moment because of how disappointed I was.

2 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

I was aware then-- I just didn't care in the moment because of how disappointed I was.

But it doesn't make it right, now does it?

I don't want to dwell on this any further since it's gone far enough, but I'll say this:  I really feel you're pretending this fandom/community is a lot better than it really is, while making outside communities a lot worse. Like the old Cuban saying goes: you're trying to block the sun with a finger. 

21 minutes ago, Jave said:

But it doesn't make it right, now does it?

I don't want to dwell on this any further since it's gone far enough, but I'll say this:  I really feel you're pretending this fandom/community is a lot better than it really is, while making outside communities a lot worse. Like the old Cuban saying goes: you're trying to block the sun with a finger. 

I've repeatedly apologized for and mocked my initial reactions to FEW-- in no way was I in the right.

Of course I think better of communities I'm active in and less of ones I used to be active in/considered joining but felt driven away from. I recognize SF and the FE fandom aren't perfect, but I don't go off on them because plenty of other people do so already. I have my biases that will show through from time to time, as does everyone else.

4 hours ago, Jedi said:

https://serenesforest.net/2017/07/31/warriors-corrin-xander-support-snippet-roster-theory/

Article is up on the most recent support deal and a theory of mine.

I have a feeling that the Marth here is also from early Shadow Dragon. The Falchion? Artistic liberty as well as making sure a FE protagonist wouldn't feel left out (Ryoma, Corrin, Xander and Chrom are all using their signature weapons) going with a generic rapier. 

4 hours ago, Lord-Zero said:

I have a feeling that the Marth here is also from early Shadow Dragon. The Falchion? Artistic liberty as well as making sure a FE protagonist wouldn't feel left out (Ryoma, Corrin, Xander and Chrom are all using their signature weapons) going with a generic rapier. 

Well with Outrealm shenanigans, it's possible this Marth came from a world where Gharnef didn't get away with the Falchion.

Though I don't see why they couldn't have given Marth a normal Rapier really, by FE standards save SoV and T776, only Lords can use them, it's a rarefied weapon. Falchion could have been the direct upgrade of the Rapier, to borrow from HW Link's starting with a generic Hylian Sword only to get the Master Sword later, which has the same moveset just stronger, better, and cooler looking.

I smell a Warriors' Fates trailer coming, so I'm making a bold prediction: The only Fates retainer we will see in this trailer is Felicia. Second prediction: if there are any more Fates retainers playable in this game, they will not appear or be playable in Story Mode, instead being unlocked through separate modes.

On 8/1/2017 at 5:20 PM, Gustavos said:

I smell a Warriors' Fates trailer coming, so I'm making a bold prediction: The only Fates retainer we will see in this trailer is Felicia. Second prediction: if there are any more Fates retainers playable in this game, they will not appear or be playable in Story Mode, instead being unlocked through separate modes.

Considering the scans indicate that hidden weapons don't exist, Felicia, along with Jakob and Kaze/Saizo/Kagero, isn't looking likely.

Exactly what does the yellow Super Saiyan-esque aura some enemies have in HW do, and what is it? Also, can low-level grunts take your keeps in Guard the allied keeps with your life missions?

15 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Exactly what does the yellow Super Saiyan-esque aura some enemies have in HW do, and what is it? Also, can low-level grunts take your keeps in Guard the allied keeps with your life missions?

Massively-buffed durability, and yes.

So has anyone else been checking the website for things other than characters? Under system I did see at least one picture of a sad/distressed/whatever Cordelia that I don't remember seeing so it has been updated, but it looks to be mostly stuff from Famitsu. 

28 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

So has anyone else been checking the website for things other than characters? Under system I did see at least one picture of a sad/distressed/whatever Cordelia that I don't remember seeing so it has been updated, but it looks to be mostly stuff from Famitsu. 

Yeah that was shown shortly after the article, to show the Permako stuff.

33 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Permako? I'm assuming you mean permadeath.

Yeah, its called Permadeath but no one actually dies, so Its my silly little fanterm for it.

8 hours ago, Anomalocaris said:

Massively-buffed durability, and yes.

Go figure. In both instances. Anyways, is it just me, or does that aura not seem to have any effect in instances where it can be removed (like in some DLC scenarios in Legends where you have Magic-Stash Troops and several characters, which are powered up by said Magic-Stash Troops)?

6 hours ago, Arthur97 said:

It's essentially just what happens when a story relevant character "dies." 

Yeah I realize, I guess I'm just disappointed that they are afraid to legitimately pull the trigger if people die, considering almost everyone in Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors have deaths in game and stuff considering their historical nature.

Just a silly nitpick for something that includes the word "death" in it

11 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Yeah I realize, I guess I'm just disappointed that they are afraid to legitimately pull the trigger if people die, considering almost everyone in Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors have deaths in game and stuff considering their historical nature.

Just a silly nitpick for something that includes the word "death" in it

Well, we have several that are unkillable or game over inducers anyways, plus they seem like they still have stuff to do in their own worlds. Plus, if some could die, theb they probably would lose cutscene time to allow for that.

I wonder exactly how long giant bosses stay down for after (and before, for that matter) their weak point gauge is fully depleted... Does anyone know?