What is your unpopular Fire Emblem opinion?

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

Really? Cause it sounds like you are

I suspected it would, that's why I decided to specify.

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

No people really don’t. If we’re talking fates and awakening specifically. I am tired of hearing the same stupid ass bullshit arguments. “Oh it’s too contrived”, “oh it’s unrealistic”, “Oh it’s too anime”, “Corrin is a mary sue”, “Robin and Corrin get too much avatar worship”, etc. I’m just tired of hearing it at this point especially when those criticisms really don’t mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. Hell one of those arguments is actually kind of racist but I digress. Like there is more to writing than just mechanics. Where are the thematic explorations or the character dissections? When people call Xander a bad character for being a hypocrite but have you ever stopped to consider that maybe that was the point. That he was intentionally written that way. It’s not like the narrative rewards him for being a hypocrite. He kills his sister and dies a martyr ultimately failing to protect anything. In that way, you could make the argument that he was intentionally written as a hypocrite. In that way, I believe he is a well written character. Like simply saying Xander is hypocrite and “hypocrisy bad therefore character bad” is dismissive of greater discussion. It’s the same problem I have with people who criticize Sylvain because all of their criticisms basically amount to “mysoginy bad” which is kinda missing the point of his character. Again it’s dismissive of greater discussion surrounding his character. Cause what if it’s intentional(it very clearly is). And again it’s not like he’s really rewarded for his behavior. It’s another case of people applying bullshit rules to something that never had any intention of following those rules. Like this weird idea that a character needs redeeming qualities to be “a good character” when that’s simply not true and is dismissive of all the millions of ways a character can be written. Again all I want is better discourse which ain’t gonna happen if people keep repeating the same tired old easily refutable arguments.

This is just pure strawman. It's not really related to the fact which is that this keeps on happening to you specifically. You keep on having these exact arguments with multiple different people in really long topic consuming tangents. And it always boils down to the exact same argument of "I'm right because I have evidence. You are wrong because your evidence doesn't count." I'll say no more on the subject though because I'm on the verge of mini modding at this point which isn't my intention. Someone was exasperated that you were once again making a potshot at Alm. Someone said it's just your opinion, which is true. I was only weighing in to say that your opinion(s) has been made extremely clear in the history of this topic, so I think someone being exasperated by it isn't an irregular reaction.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FESoV_Blacksmith.png

This is the true hottest character in FE History, Alm should have S-ranked her instead.

Anyone else feel like Three House is Bipolar quality wise? It's uniquely frustrating to me in that when ever I start enjoying it, it just has to go and do something that's really bad afterwards, like it's actually good and enjoyable at times but then it just has to go and take a turn for a worst almost every time and I've not really played a game this consistently up/down. 

Edited by Samz707

7 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Anyone else feel like Three House is Bipolar quality wise? It's uniquely frustrating to me in that when ever I start enjoying it, it just has to go and do something that's really bad afterwards, like it's actually good and enjoyable at times but then it just has to go and take a turn for a worst almost every time. 

Yes. A lot of the time Three Houses story is really good and nails both the big picture and many neat little touches alike. So it then becomes rather shocking that the story occasionally becomes extremely contrived and clumsy. 

The Flame Emperor and the Slitherers having a secret meeting right in front of the monastery is a very good example of that. Its obvious that they just wanted Dimitri to get his hands on the knife and they didn't care how they would reach that plotpoint. Or Grondor where they really wanted a three way battle but forgot to give the Kingdom and Alliance reasons to fight against each other. Or nothing that Solon says or does ever paying off. 

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yes. A lot of the time Three Houses story is really good and nails both the big picture and many neat little touches alike. So it then becomes rather shocking that the story occasionally becomes extremely contrived and clumsy. 

The Flame Emperor and the Slitherers having a secret meeting right in front of the monastery is a very good example of that. Its obvious that they just wanted Dimitri to get his hands on the knife and they didn't care how they would reach that plotpoint. Or Grondor where they really wanted a three way battle but forgot to give the Kingdom and Alliance reasons to fight against each other. Or nothing that Solon says or does ever paying off. 

Contrived is not the word I personally would use here but I do agree that 3H’s story is just kind of a structural mess. I don’t think it’s “contrived” more so that the story feels constantly like “and then” storytelling. This story has very little in the way of actual cause and effect which makes all the plot points feel disconnected and choppy as a result. There’s no narrative flow here. Things just kinda happen with no real sense of cohesion. The plot points don’t really flow into each other but rather they just kinda happen in sequence. Take most of part 1 for example. In chapter 1 you do a mock battle and then you’re told go kill some bandits(typical Fire Emblem stuff) and then you’re given the mission to go suppress a rebellion in fargheus but then you learn there’s a greater plot at work to assassinate Rhea therefore you try to stop it. And then you’re told to get back a stolen artifact, and then Flayn goes missing, and then the battle of the eagle and lion happens. I could go on but I think you get my point.

there’s so many “and then” between these plot points and not enough “but” or “therefore”. And when you look at those plot points in sequence none of them have really anything to do with the events of the previous chapter save for chapters 3 and 4. Like I said there’s no cause and effect here. Like you go fight Miklan and then you get back and Flayn suddenly gets kidnapped and it’s like I guess we’re doing this now. How does Flayn getting kidnapped have relate to fighting Miklan? It’s not like fighting Miklan is what allowed Flayn to get kidnapped. She just kinda was. Like I said there’s no sense of cause and effect or flow to any of these plot points. They all just kinda happen. If you shifted around the order nothing about the story’s structure would really change. And it’s because of this the plot points just feel so disconnected and as result there’s hardly any real sense of build up or payoff. There is build up and payoff in this story but it all ultimately falls flat because of how disconnected it all feels. Hell even fates and SoV understood the importance of cause and effect in regards to structuring their stories. 3H does not understand it at all

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Contrived is not the word I personally would use here but I do agree that 3H’s story is just kind of a structural mess. I don’t think it’s “contrived” more so that the story feels constantly like “and then” storytelling. This story has very little in the way of actual cause and effect which makes all the plot points feel disconnected and choppy as a result. There’s no narrative flow here. Things just kinda happen with no real sense of cohesion. The plot points don’t really flow into each other but rather they just kinda happen in sequence. Take most of part 1 for example. In chapter 1 you do a mock battle and then you’re told go kill some bandits(typical Fire Emblem stuff) and then you’re given the mission to go suppress a rebellion in fargheus but then you learn there’s a greater plot at work to assassinate Rhea therefore you try to stop it. And then you’re told to get back a stolen artifact, and then Flayn goes missing, and then the battle of the eagle and lion happens. I could go on but I think you get my point.

there’s so many “and then” between these plot points and not enough “but” or “therefore”. And when you look at those plot points in sequence none of them have really anything to do with the events of the previous chapter save for chapters 3 and 4. Like I said there’s no cause and effect here. Like you go fight Miklan and then you get back and Flayn suddenly gets kidnapped and it’s like I guess we’re doing this now. How does Flayn getting kidnapped have relate to fighting Miklan? It’s not like fighting Miklan is what allowed Flayn to get kidnapped. She just kinda was. Like I said there’s no sense of cause and effect or flow to any of these plot points. They all just kinda happen. If you shifted around the order nothing about the story’s structure would really change. And it’s because of this the plot points just feel so disconnected and as result there’s hardly any real sense of build up or payoff. There is build up and payoff in this story but it all ultimately falls flat because of how disconnected it all feels. Hell even fates and SoV understood the importance of cause and effect in regards to structuring their stories. 3H does not understand it at all

I know technically off-topic but does that mean Three Houses literally always has some big battle ahead of you in the calender? never slows down to just have a month or two where there's no big battle on the calender?

19 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

I know technically off-topic but does that mean Three Houses literally always has some big battle ahead of you in the calender? never slows down to just have a month or two where there's no big battle on the calender?

Not necessarily, when structuring a story you want every plot point to be connected with a “but” or a “therefore” otherwise the story loses momentum. There’s a really good lecture by the creators of south park on this if you’re interested but really the point here is that every major story beat needs to effect the next in someway. It doesn’t mean that the story can’t slow down. It just means that whatever happens in the story needs to be the result of what happened previously. If you want examples of stories that understand this but are also not very heavily plot driven go watch a good slice of life comedy like K-On or the devil is a part timer. Those stories even understand the importance of cause and effect.

Edited by Ottservia

40 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I think the chapters in part one are meant to set up the conflict between in part 2. Many of the White Clouds chapter revolve around a theme that happens to be a particular gripe Edelgard has to the current structure of Fodlan. Its meant to display the weakness in the structure that holds Fodlan together. 

Its not just a Kingdom rebellion the class is putting down. Its a rebellion against the church, prompted by intervention of the Church within the Kingdom and put down by the church. It shows that the church has the power and influence to intervene in the nations of Fodlan, something many people don't like. One of them being Lonato, the other being a certain student with big plans. 

Miklan isn't just your random rogue but an example of what the Crest system can do to people. He's driven to banditry because the big importance people placed in crest got him disinherited. This despite Miklan apparently being quite talented. Its a sign how sniffling the culture of Fodlan's nobility is. 

Flayne is a Nabatean which is an inherently special race and she got kidnapped precisely because she was a nabatean. The chapter doesn't fully discloses it all to Byleth but it is an indication that Rhea's family is more then they appear. Them being more then they appear, namely not human is a huge sore spot for Edelgard. 

The battle of Grondor is meant to be a set up for the other battle of Grondor. 

Solon and Kronya set up the revelation that crazy, shapeshifting mole people are hiding among the cast of characters and that they are irredeemably evil. 

I don't think these events are meant to flow into each other. They are individual scenario's that are meant to show how fragile Fodlan is and how outside factions are influencing Fodlan towards their own ends. And all these things adding up does combine to Fodlan collapsing into chaos and war. You are meant to witness the instances of Rhea's system clearly not working properly as well as the great evil you must work with should you wish to topple Rhea's system. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

How about the fact that the Flame Emperor actually goes all the way to meet Kostas, already aware that Kostas was basically a dead man. It feels nothing more than to tell us that the Flame Emperor was behind it, which sparks the controversial argument now on whether the intention of the attack was really to kill Dimitri and Claude.

6 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

How about the fact that the Flame Emperor actually goes all the way to meet Kostas, already aware that Kostas was basically a dead man. It feels nothing more than to tell us that the Flame Emperor was behind it, which sparks the controversial argument now on whether the intention of the attack was really to kill Dimitri and Claude.

I think that's just the typical warping mastermind stunt that Fire Emblem always does. Most games have a warping mage teleport in front of their doomed puppet for a little chat. This time it just involves the villain firing the puppet. It definitely is just there to reveal the Flame Emperor is behind it, yeah. 

5 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the chapters in part one are meant to set up the conflict between in part 2. Many of the White Clouds chapter revolve around a theme that happens to be a particular gripe Edelgard has to the current structure Fodlan. Its meant to display the weakness in the structure that holds Fodlan together. 

Its not just a Kingdom rebellion the class is putting down. Its a rebellion against the church, prompted by intervention of the Church within the Kingdom and put down by the church. It shows that the church has the power and influence to intervene in the nations of Fodlan, something many people don't like. One of them being Lonato, the other being a certain student with big plans. 

Miklan isn't just your random rogue but an example of what the Crest system can do to people. He's driven to banditry because the big importance people placed in crest got him disinherited. This despite Miklan apparently being quite talented. Its a sign how sniffling the culture of Fodlan's nobility is. 

Flayne is a Nabatean which is an inherently special race and she got kidnapped precisely because she was a nabatean. The chapter doesn't fully discloses it all to Byleth but it is an indication that Rhea's family is more then they appear. Them being more then they appear, namely not human is a huge sore spot for Edelgard. 

The battle of Grondor is meant to be a set up for the other battle of Grondor. 

Solon and Kronya set up the revelation that crazy, shapeshifting mole people are hiding among the cast of characters and that they are irredeemably evil. 

I don't think these events are meant to flow into each other. They are individual scenario's that are meant to show how fragile Fodlan is and how outside factions are influencing it towards their own ends. And all these things adding up does pile up and leads to Fodlan collapsing into chaos and war. You are meant to witness the instances of Rhea's system clearly not working properly as well as the great evil you must work with should you wish to topple Rhea's system. 

Those aren’t the only instances of this happening though. Part 2 of the story is littered with it. Take chapter 18 of AM for instance. You fight Edelgard and Claude at Gronder and then Dimitri is attacked which causes Rodrigue to get killed. There’s no logical cause and effect here. What does the battle at Gronder have to do with Dimitri getting attacked. Nothing really as far as I can tell. There’s no causality here. Like yeah I get the thematic purposes for why this is happening but just because there is a theme doesn’t excuse the fact that this is just sloppy storytelling structure. Themes, yes, are important but with such a messy structure those themes can’t shine through as strongly. The themes should be the driving force of the story. The thing that links these events together. Without proper cause and effect there’s hardly anything to connect. 

1 hour ago, Samz707 said:

I would argue that the monastery sections are already slowing the game down, mainly in part 2- If the question means is there never a month where there’s a battle at the end then no, with the exception of one month but that month still has a battle, it’s just in the middle of the month, and you can’t even play the rest of it so I’m not sure that counts. If you mean huge epic battle then most are not but a few are sprinkled in, typical fe style.

10 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think that's just the typical warping mastermind stunt that Fire Emblem always does. Most games have a warping mage teleport in front of their doomed puppet for a little chat. This time it just involves the villain firing the puppet. It definitely is just there to reveal the Flame Emperor is behind it, yeah. 

Yeah, but in hindsight, this means that Edelgard went all the way from Garreg Mach to the Red Canyon I think, just to tell Kostas that he's gonna die. It's a bit silly, really. 

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

Those aren’t the only instances of this happening though. Part 2 of the story is littered with it. Take chapter 18 of AM for instance. You fight Edelgard and Claude at Gronder and then Dimitri is attacked which causes Rodrigue to get killed. There’s no logical cause and effect here. What does the battle at Gronder have to do with Dimitri getting attacked. Nothing really as far as I can tell. There’s no causality here. Like yeah I get the thematic purposes for why this is happening but just because there is a theme doesn’t excuse the fact that this is just sloppy storytelling structure. Themes, yes, are important but with such a messy structure those themes can’t shine through as strongly. The themes should be the driving force of the story. The thing that links these events together. Without proper cause and effect there’s hardly anything to connect. 

Oh, add in the fact that apparently Faerghus won Gronder, but then we're told during the ending that the Empire is coming at them, and they need to get back to the Great Bridge, which actually makes it seem like we LOST Gronder. 

12 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Oh, add in the fact that apparently Faerghus won Gronder, but then we're told during the ending that the Empire is coming at them, and they need to get back to the Great Bridge, which actually makes it seem like we LOST Gronder. 

To be fair it is possible to win a battle tactically but lose it strategically. Winning at Grondor doesn't mean much when the entire army is exhausted, Dimitri is broken and the empire can just toss more soldiers at Dimitri until he goes away. Dimitri's first march at Enbarr was always depicted as something that couldn't work and was done mostly to satisfy Dimitri's bloodlust. 

Those aren’t the only instances of this happening though. Part 2 of the story is littered with it. Take chapter 18 of AM for instance. You fight Edelgard and Claude at Gronder and then Dimitri is attacked which causes Rodrigue to get killed. There’s no logical cause and effect here. What does the battle at Gronder have to do with Dimitri getting attacked. Nothing really as far as I can tell. There’s no causality here. Like yeah I get the thematic purposes for why this is happening but just because there is a theme doesn’t excuse the fact that this is just sloppy storytelling structure. Themes, yes, are important but with such a messy structure those themes can’t shine through as strongly. The themes should be the driving force of the story. The thing that links these events together. Without proper cause and effect there’s hardly anything to connect. 

I have my issues with Fleche randomly coming out during Grondor but its thematically fitting at least. The whole lead up to Grondor is depicted as crazy Dimitri driving everyone to their doom. It was just counting down to disaster and through Fleche disaster indeed happened. Its also Dimitri's insanity that leads to the attempt on his life. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

17 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

To be fair it is possible to win a battle tactically but lose it strategically

True, we otherwise wouldn't have the term "Pyrrhic victory". As stated by a French general after the Battle of Malplaquet in September 1709, "If God will have the goodness to lose us another battle like this one, Your Majesty can count on the destruction of all our enemies". The British suffered almost twice the casualties of the French side despite the numbers being 110k vs. 80k. It was bad enough that it spearheaded popular British sentiments to get out of the damned war, which they did abandoning some of their wartime allies the next year.

And for a different example of a Pyrrhic victory in FE, try RD 3-2. Ike and co. smashed the northern army, but had to retreat because they lost the overall operation to hinder the Begnion Central Army.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 hours ago, Samz707 said:

This is the true hottest character in FE History, Alm should have S-ranked her instead.

"This is the ideal blacksmith body. You may not like it, but this is what peak forging looks like."

Honestly, I can almost forgive Archer being male-exclusive, because apparently they made Blacksmith a female-only class.

37 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

What do you think of my thread? We can discuss this privately but I did want your opinion on it because I discuss this point in more detail on the thread. 

I think if Rodrigue is to get stabbed by Fleche, it should be an event during the battle so that the cause of the backstabbing is Dimitri's reckless behaviour and the Empire's strength contributes to the situation where Fleche gets the opportunity. It is more compelling than if Rodrigue dies randomly with no cause and effect as Ottservia says. 

2 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

What do you think of my thread? We can discuss this privately but I did want your opinion on it because I discuss this point in more detail on the thread. 

I think if Rodrigue is to get stabbed by Fleche, it should be an event during the battle so that the cause of the backstabbing is Dimitri's reckless behaviour and the Empire's strength contributes to the situation where Fleche gets the opportunity. It is more compelling than if Rodrigue dies randomly with no cause and effect as Ottservia says. 

I thought it was really good. It addresses some of the serious issues I had with Dimitri's route. Especially how you even had it that there were people that legitimately like the Empire because of how they are able to benefit from Edelgard's meritocratic efforts, but Dimitri in the story ends up acting like the Empire is evil and people are being oppressed under a tyranny. Sure, under Cornelia, that makes sense. But Edelgard? Nah. 

The only thing morally grey about Dimitri's story is only when Dimitri was insane. Once he was redeemed, it was basically black and white morality.

11 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

This. The thing about thematically relevant storytelling is that the themes are the cause and effect of the story. Rodrigue dying just kinda happens. It just comes out of no where with no real build up. There is build up mind you but thematically it doesn’t really happen due to a flaw in Dimitri’s character or anything. There’s no immediate cause for why it happens plot wise. Thematically there is a purpose but the story is more concerned with the pay off than the actual build up to that pay off. 

1 hour ago, omegaxis1 said:

I thought it was really good. It addresses some of the serious issues I had with Dimitri's route. Especially how you even had it that there were people that legitimately like the Empire because of how they are able to benefit from Edelgard's meritocratic efforts, but Dimitri in the story ends up acting like the Empire is evil and people are being oppressed under a tyranny. Sure, under Cornelia, that makes sense. But Edelgard? Nah. 

The thing is that Dimitri's main reason for hating Cornelia was because she enabled imperial oppression. This makes Dimitri fans toxic towards Edelgard because it means it was Edelgard that was causing the oppression and Cornelia was just an enabler. 

• Dimitri: Try as that woman might to spout nonsense to her very last, nothing could change the fact that she was an enemy of the kingdom. She sold out Faerghus to the Empire, forcing our people to suffer their tyranny... 

I think it is an excellent plot point for Dimitri to equate Imperial rule with Cornelia's oppression but this way of thinking isn't challenged in the story as even Western Faerghus is itching to be free, making them no different to central Faerghus under Cornelia. Annette and Gilbert's paralogue adds to the confusion even further. AM is supposed to explore the Kingdom yet the Kingdom isn't properly explored as two of the chapters are paralogues and there is only one unique Faerghus chapter. 

2 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

The thing is that Dimitri's main reason for hating Cornelia was because she enabled imperial oppression. This makes Dimitri fans toxic towards Edelgard because it means it was Edelgard that was causing the oppression and Cornelia was just an enabler. 

I think it is an excellent plot point for Dimitri to equate Imperial rule with Cornelia's oppression but this way of thinking isn't challenged in the story as even Western Faerghus is itching to be free, making them no different to central Faerghus under Cornelia. Annette and Gilbert's paralogue adds to the confusion even further. AM is supposed to explore the Kingdom yet the Kingdom isn't properly explored as two of the chapters are paralogues and there is only one unique Faerghus chapter. 

Yeah. Dimitri thinks that Cornelia brought tyranny from the Empire, but the tyrant was none other than Cornelia herself, since Edelgard isn't able to actually control Cornelia or the Agarthans. Not once was Dimitri ever challenged in his views on the Empire or Edelgard, never seeing the positives, but thinking that there was absolutely nothing good coming from this war but the screams of victims. Because he is supposedly this "righteous king" that lost his way, he can't question about the deeper meaning behind the war, and only see war as nothing but something horrible. 

Added worse with how his talk with Edelgard is less about finding the reason, and more just preaching how war is bad and she's wrong. 

maybe the approach to design 3H story is not ideal to begin with. feels like they design the big picture first then dissect it to pieces, after that re-assembly it to 3 separate thing which causes some part to be missing, incoherent or smth. can someone confirm if IS have talked about how they design the story for 3H?

2 hours ago, Samz707 said:

a month or two without big fight will just make it a persona wanna-be. or dating sims for that matter since what else you gonna do to spent it other than socializing, more dialogues and time skip. better not imo.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Maps taking long a la FE4 are perfectly okay with me. The length doesn't bother me one bit

just introduce a checkpoint (not savepoint, since save feature is already there) and we're good. or better yet, introduce multi stage with updated objective for larger maps for variations sake
For example if we take AM part2 1st stage, first part would be to rout/survive. then reinforcement comes and the objective change to something else with a chance to reorganize the troop, that would be the checkpoint. (sometimes people just forget to save)

To they I hate how bipolar the story gets a time since there no foreshadowing to things. 1: If Rhea had hired Kostas to presumably Find Jeralt and her Mother Vessal it would make more sense and can deny the claims. That way the flame Emperor sympathizing with Kostas would show the Emperor part of his name and show he is a leader figure. 2 : Her giving Byleth a Professor role even recommended by Alois is retarded. At this point to the student and Faculty execpt Rhea Byleth is offered a job without a Background check on meeting for the first time Rhea. 3 : Flayn kidnapping doesn’t make sense since her blood being special doesn’t help make things flow and if after Jeralt’s death and Kronya. Solon last breath would explain why Nabatean Blood allows them to steal someone’s identity. They tried to give signs but it was hollow in way. A clue gives you a direction to search the next puzzle piece to complete the picture frame. 

5 hours ago, Samz707 said:

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

"This is the ideal blacksmith body. You may not like it, but this is what peak forging looks like."

SoV Blacksmith:

• Firm arms
  • Stable income not dependent on an ongoing war
  • Less likely to die on the battlefield

I mean, the evidence is right there folks.

5 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

SoV Blacksmith:

• Firm arms
  • Stable income not dependent on an ongoing war
  • Less likely to die on the battlefield

I mean, the evidence is right there folks.

Now if only it was like Jagged Alliance and you could have Blacksmiths repair weapons between battles...

Top-tier Waifu.

Edited by Samz707