Old tempest thread, plz delet

V-raptor

Just now, Thane said:

Noice, thanks a lot. Just to clarify though, you just lose out points on that run, then? You don't lose any score you've already gained?

You do not lose score you've already gained from past runs.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any suggestions on building Alm so he's not a drag on my team? Mine's +def/-res and checking the calculator he seems kinda bad even with a better nature.  I was thinking Ardent Sacrifice, Darting Blow, Renewal. Bonfire would actually be better than his Draconic Aura by a tiny bit but I'd have to waste 2k feathers to upgrade a Robin since I only have 3* ones.

I've never tried the Falchion + Ardent + Renewal build on anyone before, but since he's pretty tanky it seems like it'll be a pretty good fit. He gets a fair amount of extra wins with Swordbreaker but I just get the urge to try the meme build on him. I'd go Fury for the A slot but I only have Jagens, so Fury 2 vs Darting Blow 3 seems not so great.

I won't be using him as main healer, since I don't feel like Ardent is enough based on how last Tempest went. I'll still probably run a real healer on the team too.

Just now, Glaceon Sage said:

You do not lose score you've already gained from past runs.

Really starting to regret chugging all those Stamina Potions to quickly clear all those story maps.

19 minutes ago, DarkLordIvy said:

I think Owl+ works pretty well. Stick him on a defense tile and have at least two other units next to him and he should do pretty well I do believe. I was thinking about switching earth boost for t-adept since my Boey is -Hp but I think I'm going to scrap that idea because of a crippling lack of t-adapt fodder. The missing Hp can also be easily made up for with the hp seal anyway.

Yeah lack of fodder can be annoying :(

Ah man close counter would be so much fun on Boey! Sadly it definitely nothing more than a dream for me. I've never summoned one Takumi never mind a second or third for SI.

Same.

It's really starting to be annoying how many good skills are too rare to be used for SI except by whales.

Yeah renewal will definitely be nice for during the TT. I think I'll be switching it out for quick repose at some point afterwards. With +def bonfire almost might make more sense with its lower cooldown especially if you're also running renewal. Hone stuff is always a pretty good bet, and with his owl tome keeping allies close anyway Boey might be a good one for spur skills!

Good point!

I ended up dusting off Linde and using her a tone during the first TT, I had originally not expected to ever really use her for whatever reason.

But Linde is amazing! Like, Linde has always been amazing. Why weren't using her in the first place?

3 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

Any suggestions on building Alm so he's not a drag on my team? Mine's +def/-res and checking the calculator he seems kinda bad even with a better nature.  I was thinking Ardent Sacrifice, Darting Blow, Renewal. Bonfire would actually be better than his Draconic Aura by a tiny bit but I'd have to waste 2k feathers to upgrade a Robin since I only have 3* ones.

I've never tried the Falchion + Ardent + Renewal build on anyone before, but since he's pretty tanky it seems like it'll be a pretty good fit. He gets a fair amount of extra wins with Swordbreaker but I just get the urge to try the meme build on him. I'd go Fury for the A slot but I only have Jagens, so Fury 2 vs Darting Blow 3 seems not so great.

I won't be using him as main healer, since I don't feel like Ardent is enough based on how last Tempest went. I'll still probably run a real healer on the team too.

Actually your Alm seems pretty good for the Falchion healer build, but maybe you should use Reciprocal Aid instead of Ardent Sacrifice. Ardent Sacrifice lends itself better if you want to reach a HP threshold to activate certain skills like Desperation or Brash Assault while Reciprocal Aid focuses on healing the other unit at the expense of your health. 

Alm sadly is very meh in comparison to the other Falchion users so it's better to not invest too heavily on him unless you really like him. Something like Fury 2 (Bartre, Jeigan), Renewal 2 (Lissa, Jakob), any spur/hone/fortify you have to spare, Reciprocal Aid (Donnel) and Draconic Aura will last you for the whole trials. He'll be pretty tanky and will take out any troublesome greens if need arises but his main role will be of a healer instead of a combat unit.

22 minutes ago, Thane said:

So I still don't quite understand all the finer points of what the Tempest Trials actually are. Are there any repercussions of failing, apart from wasting stamina? Like, does your score get reduced? Are all the enemies level 40? If I bring in the Clair I just got, will I get a 20% bonus to the score regardless of whether or not she survives, or is the important part just that she's brought in?

Also, about the score itself: do you compete against others in rank, or do you spend your score like currency?

Even if you fail, you do get some points, depending on how many maps you cleared and if you brought a bonus hero. In the original, you could often get more points by playing Lunatic and losing partway through than playing a lower difficulty level and winning, and it was the same stamina cost either way. The point gap between difficulty levels is much smaller now, though.

In the original, you'd face lv40 enemies on Lunatic, lv35 enemies on Hard, and lv20 enemies on Normal. I don't know if that will be changed at all on the new version, though.

11 minutes ago, Othin said:

Variety. No reason to make different versions of TT more repetitive than they have to be, and the final boss can be a big influence on how they play out. In the first one, it was important to always have a red unit prepared to take on Veronica, so it'd be nice for other months to switch that focus to different colors and playstyles. They can come up with story justifications for anyone to show up there, and if they want to give more chances to fight her, they can add her to additional maps elsewhere like they did with adding "Bruno" to new story chapters.

does it make it that repetitive though? All the maps are different and it's possible her final map has different unit type composition for it than last time. She could be the one consistent thing about the tempest, which I know I'd like. Especially since I dont have as many good counters to other colors, especially would-be final bosses (god i fear the day Bruno takes the big stage in the story)

26 minutes ago, LuxSpes said:

I have to admit that Valor skill and double SP week-end reduces the pain a bit. My Summer Robin had 2000 SP by the time she was 40, meaning I was able to fully kit her with SI for the next arena season without further grinding.

Other part about that discourages me from using resources on sub-optimal characters is that I own the 'upgraded' version of those characters. Kind of don't want to waste resources on Alm and Boey when I have a +5 Lucina and a +2 Julia. Though I definitely understand the bias thing. 

Sadly she's the only one of the 40% bonus that I own that is fully kitted.

I ended up to busy this past weekend to take advantage of the double SP I was feeling it yesterday, but man am I glad it's a thing now!

I get that too, I've never gotten Lucina or anything more than 4* Chrom's and Marth's  but I do undeniably already have "better" sword users built up already which is why I haven't really worked with my Alm until now. I am definitely driven almost entirely by personal bias

You have my sympathies.

11 minutes ago, salinea said:

Yeah lack of fodder can be annoying :(

Same.

It's really starting to be annoying how many good skills are too rare to be used for SI except by whales.

Good point!

But Linde is amazing! Like, Linde has always been amazing. Why weren't using her in the first place?

I've been eyeing my lone 5* Effie for death blow fodder for weeks now. :'D

Takumi why have you forsaken us? 

Let me know what you end up going with! I'm curious!

I honestly have no idea why I hadn't been using her! I think it was because at the time mRobin was a mainstay on my team as a Takumi counter in the days before SI, and I had decided that he was a good enough as a red counter. I was a fool! But now I've seen the error of my ways.

2 hours ago, DarkLordIvy said:

All the people complaining about the bonus units not being good makes me a little sad. I think a good part of the fun in this game can come from making units that aren't great to start out work! But I get that that isn't for everyone, so I'll just be over here throwing resources at Alm and Boey. :D

I'll be running Alm and Boey on my initial team, at least at first.  I went and gave Alm Renewal and Fury, which should help be a pseudo-healer.  Once I get some SP built up, I can expand their sets a bit.  My Boey is -HP, but hopefully, that doesn't hurt him too much.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I'll be running Alm and Boey on my initial team, at least at first.  I went and gave Alm Renewal and Fury, which should help be a pseudo-healer.  Once I get some SP built up, I can expand their sets a bit.  My Boey is -HP, but hopefully, that doesn't hurt him too much.

Same, I wonder what your Alm is? Mine is +Spd -Def, and has been fused for +1 hp and +1 attack

Just now, Xenomata said:

Same, I wonder what your Alm is? Mine is +Spd -Def, and has been fused for +1 hp and +1 attack

My Alm is also +Spd,-Def.  My Boey is -HP,+Atk.

I'm in the odd situation of having every 40% unit at 5*, when I had no 40% 5*s last Tempest.

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

My Alm is also +Spd,-Def.  My Boey is -HP,+Atk.

I'm in the odd situation of having every 40% unit at 5*, when I had no 40% 5*s last Tempest.

Really... The only 40% unit I had last time (trained up and at 5* anyway) was Nowi, who was a very competent unit throughout Ylissian Tempest.

Now I only have Alm to get that bonus from, so I hope having a healer, a green nuke, an adept dragon, and a pseudo healer-attacker will get me through again...

2 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Really... The only 40% unit I had last time (trained up and at 5* anyway) was Nowi, who was a very competent unit throughout Ylissian Tempest.

Now I only have Alm to get that bonus from, so I hope having a healer, a green nuke, an adept dragon, and a pseudo healer-attacker will get me through again...

I used a 4* Robin, then switched to 4* Tharja once he maxed HM.  I had 4* untrained Nowi, and don't have Lucina at all.

I just noticed that this time, all the 40% Bonus units are a different color.  At least that makes it easier to Focus Pull for the guy you want.  Last time, I would have tried for Lucina, but I didn't want to grab Tharja by mistake.

6 hours ago, Rezzy said:

They're increasing the amount you get from the 5-map strings, I think.

I do feel sorry for F2Ps on this one.  Getting any of the 40%ers is still a crapshoot, at least Boey and Mae can be 4*, but that's just mean.  I feel if they made the gift unit from the Tempest in the future, it would be a bit fairer, instead of the 20%, who you have no real reason to use over the other 20%ers, like the Askr unit.

I think I'll be using a team of Boey, Reinhardt, Alm, and Azura to start with.  Ill still use my Horse Emblem team as my back-up.  I might throw Nino back in if my initial team doesn't mesh well, but she requires Eirika-buddy, and I'd like to get SP/HM on some new units.

Is going to be a pain... I have wanted Boey, but every Green orb I open Is just Cherche or Beruka since months ago... 

I really hope they increase the points for 5 Battles, because last Time I only got 30,000 points thanks to MRobin Bonus :$

What should I do with a -SPD/+ATK 4* Mae? She is the only 40% bonus char I have. :( -SPD is SO annoying. -ATK is much easier to handle.

Edit:

I guess I can me her a buff bot for Nino...

Edited by Clogon

1 hour ago, Clogon said:

What should I do with a -SPD/+ATK 4* Mae? She is the only 40% bonus char I have. :( -SPD is SO annoying. -ATK is much easier to handle.

Edit:

I guess I can me her a buff bot for Nino...

i also have a -Spd Mae, though she is 5*. last TT i used a -Spd Tharja (31 spd) and she did fantastic, with no speed buffs to speak of. with a speed buff and one person standing beside her, your Mae will have 31 speed, then give her Darting Blow for 37 spd (38 spd if you give her +Spd seal). if you upgrade her to 5* it'd be 41 spd! not too bad ;-;

that's my plan for my Mae i guess, though i think i'm going to upgrade my +Atk Klein to 5* for faster and more reliable sweeping..

I wonder if there is going to be, if there isn't already, a sort of Tempest Trials Tier List?

Tier Lists built with enemy players in mind... yeah the computer only listens to those in the next game in the series if their developers have tournaments in mind KIND OF.

6 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I wonder if there is going to be, if there isn't already, a sort of Tempest Trials Tier List?

Tier Lists built with enemy players in mind... yeah the computer only listens to those in the next game in the series if their developers have tournaments in mind KIND OF.

It'd change a lot from month to month, especially if the final boss is different.

1 minute ago, Othin said:

It'd change a lot from month to month, especially if the final boss is different.

True, I guess it'd especially change with the theme of each month (Ylissian Tempest last time, Valentia Tempest this time) bringing new maps that'd make certain units not viable, though I'm not sure the final boss would change that much. Veronica to Bruno is about the furthest it could go beyond, I dunno, Jedah or Validar being the final boss instead. I'd suggest Duma or Grima, but... I'd settle for generic Dark Mage antagonist.

2 hours ago, Rezzy said:

You could stick the hp seal on Boey if none of your other units desperately needs, it brings him up to his neutral 43hp. I think I'm going to run Alm and Boey on different teams, mostly because I need to speed gather feathers so Boey can get a promotion! I wish I had Fury to give Alm, that pseud-healer build looks like fun!

6 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

True, I guess it'd especially change with the theme of each month (Ylissian Tempest last time, Valentia Tempest this time) bringing new maps that'd make certain units not viable, though I'm not sure the final boss would change that much. Veronica to Bruno is about the furthest it could go beyond, I dunno, Jedah or Validar being the final boss instead. I'd suggest Duma or Grima, but... I'd settle for generic Dark Mage antagonist.

As far as we know, any unit could be the final boss of a trial. My guess is that we'll see it keep expanding into other antagonists, particularly ones with upcoming GHBs, so we could see Berkut or Jedah here and then others for later ones.

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

As far as we know, any unit could be the final boss of a trial. My guess is that we'll see it keep expanding into other antagonists, particularly ones with upcoming GHBs, so we could see Berkut or Jedah here and then others for later ones.

Calling it now, it's going to be Batta the Beast.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

While technically true since we have had one (1) trial and it's not enough to make a full set of assumptions off of, I think saying this is a bit much? Like the awakening trial's final boss was Veronica. They could have easily had it been Validar, but didn't. Didn't even get a guest spot with Veronica.

To put it another way, while there's no proof it will be Veronica every tempest there's also no proof that it will be any antagonist they want.

Just now, r_n said:

While technically true since we have had one (1) trial and it's not enough to make a full set of assumptions off of, I think saying this is a bit much? Like the awakening trial's final boss was Veronica. They could have easily had it been Validar, but didn't. Didn't even get a guest spot with Veronica.

To put it another way, while there's no proof it will be Veronica every tempest there's also no proof that it will be any antagonist they want.

After the first TT, pretty much all of us extrapolated based on Masked Marth and guessed that the free units would probably be alternate versions of existing characters. Turns out that no such limit existed. With only one reference point, we didn't know much.

I'm not saying all the antagonists are necessarily up for consideration by IS. All I'm saying is that we can't rule them out. That's all "as far as we know" means. We just don't know what criteria are used to pick the final bosses.