Nintendo Dream interview: early development history and more

The DanMan

11 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

They likely mean individual game popularity polls. The interview recounts events seemingly chronologically, and this comes up after the games were locked in.
I'd suggest it's more indicative of characters from Awakening/Fates (since there was no SD/NME character polls to my knowledge) who were assumed shoe-ins due to popularity being pushed in due to popularity, potentially at the expense of more imaginative/varied choices. 

Well yeah, I'm not denying that they could mean only Fates and Awakening polls. I'm just saying it's also possible that they looked at other polls too.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Navarre beating Ogma is interesting, as is Merric beating Linde, but no Jeorge in the Top 15? I hope that didn't convey the wrong message. 

36 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Probably more stuff like Ryoma's officer intro mirroring his combat intro in Conquest 25.

What Jedi quoted seems to suggest it's coming down to the line in some ways. I could easily imagine an exchange going like:
"We need to include Lucina in the game."
"But what can we do to differentiate her?"
"I dunno know, let's focus on these other characters that we do know what to do with."
*later*
"So, Lucina..."

The fact that she's nowhere on the cover or advertising but was confirmed in the second/third batch of character reveals also suggests she was a late addition.

@Anacybele They likely mean individual game popularity polls. The interview recounts events seemingly chronologically, and this comes up after the games were locked in.
I'd suggest it's more indicative of characters from Awakening/Fates (since there was no SD/NME character polls to my knowledge) who were assumed shoe-ins due to popularity being pushed in due to popularity, potentially at the expense of more imaginative/varied choices. 

If they just put it off, then that's potentially worse. They get to work with these characters, the least they could do is better handle the main company's wishes.

Edited by Arthur97

1 hour ago, Arthur97 said:

If they just put it off, then that's potentially worse. They get to work with these characters, the least they could do is better handle the main company's wishes.

Hey, Lucina being a late addition to a game isn't exactly unheard of. *cough*Smash*cough*

So I'm not surprised. It is kind of a bummer for her fans that she's not more unique though.

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Hey, Lucina being a late addition to a game isn't exactly unheard of. *cough*Smash*cough*

So I'm not surprised. It is kind of a bummer for her fans that she's not more unique though.

Smash was different since it was a) a Nintendo crossover where FE at least should be at a disadvantage and she is not among the top popular Nintendo character (probably not bad though) and b) Nintendo did not specifically request her appearance.

Still, there is relatively little footage to go off of. Hopefully she at least has her lunging stab from Awakening.

Edited by Arthur97

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

Smash was different since it was a) a Nintendo crossover where FE at least should be at a disadvantage and she is not among the top popular Nintendo character (probably not bad though) and b) Nintendo did not specifically request her appearance.

IS might have, actually. They were responsible for Ike being in back in Brawl's days. Sakurai just originally had her as a costume and later decided himself to separate her from Marth. And Lucina still is one of the most popular FE characters.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

I'll never understand voting for Caeda.

Not only does she have a dull personality, but she has less story importance than the two characters right below her.

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

IS might have, actually. They were responsible for Ike being in back in Brawl's days. Sakurai just originally had her as a costume and later decided himself to separate her from Marth. And Lucina still is one of the most popular FE characters.

I doubt it. It never came up in interviews like it did with Ike. She was an alt out of convenience and later (for some reason) given her own slot. Here's hoping for some Luigification though.

1 minute ago, Sentinel07 said:

Not only does she have a dull personality, but she has less story importance than the two characters right below her.

I don't know, Tiki didn't seem all that important in Shadow Dragon.

6 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

I kind of agree. I'm not all that familiar with Archanea, but from what I know, Minerva sounds way cooler. All Caeda seems to be is "LOVE!"

Edited by Anacybele

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I kind of agree. I'm not all that familiar with Archanea, but from what I know, Minerva sounds way cooler. All Caeda seems to be is "LOVE!"

Minerva deserves a lot more popularity. A nice, cool, and composed character that has plenty of story relevance. 

1 minute ago, Sentinel07 said:

Minerva deserves a lot more popularity. A nice, cool, and composed character that has plenty of story relevance. 

Yeah, agreed. I think the same about Elincia for Tellius. She's way better written than Micaiah, imo.

16 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Well, because of the large amount of people she recruits Caeda is one of the rare Archeneans who has plenty of dialogue throughout the games. She uses this screentime to come as cheerful and kind which makes her likable. There's also the implication she's a tad spoiled which can come off as endearing. 

58 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

She was kicking ass on the battlefield while Peach and Zelda had just established themselves as damsels in distress.
Reason enough for me.

1 minute ago, The DanMan said:

She was kicking ass on the battlefield while Peach and Zelda had just established themselves as damsels in distress.
Reason enough for me.

Pretty much this, along with the aforementioned dialogue and usefulness.

Also people cry about pegs turning in to Wyvern riders, but honestly I think that only helped her - how badass was that, amirite? Tbh, I don't think I've used a pegasus rider that I've liked half as much as her since.

Just about every FE female goes and kicks ass on a battlefield though...

Also, Zelda isn't ALWAYS just a damsel in distress. What about in Spirit Tracks where you could actually kinda play as her by making her control a suit of armor and all?

And in BotW, she fought Ganon by herself for 100 years!

In Skyward Sword, she traveled around an unfamiliar land to fulfill an important task. She definitely had to find her way past baddies to do that.

Edited by Anacybele

32 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, Zelda isn't ALWAYS just a damsel in distress. What about in Spirit Tracks where you could actually kinda play as her by making her control a suit of armor and all?

In Skyward Sword, she traveled around an unfamiliar land to fulfill an important task. She definitely had to find her way past baddies to do that.

Yeah, I think I should have clarified that more. To me, Caeda just barely covers the basics of her trope, while the majority of Pegasus Knights (and Wyvern Riders for that matter) that come after her do a lot more.

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

CYL polls should not be used as a measure of who's getting in, given that we know that the game's development was at least in the planning stages in December of 2015.

We should be looking at the individual popularity polls of the games featured, but considering they generally match up, it's only a small thing.

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well, because of the large amount of people she recruits Caeda is one of the rare Archeneans who has plenty of dialogue throughout the games. She uses this screentime to come as cheerful and kind which makes her likable. There's also the implication she's a tad spoiled which can come off as endearing. 

This. Her conversation with Roger sold me on her, and her status as the original Peg Knight of the franchise give her a powerful leg up.

Edited by DaloDask

13 minutes ago, DaloDask said:

CYL polls should not be used as a measure of who's getting in, given that we know that the game's development was at least in the planning stages in December of 2015.

We should be looking at the individual popularity polls of the games featured, but considering they generally match up, it's only a small thing.

I honestly wish they'd stop relying on these popularity polls done through a Japanese only magazine that typically gets, what, a few thousand votes.

okay I know I'm really biased towards the royals but

In the interview, it mentioned how the Fates characters come from around Chapter 6; that's when they cross over. I feel like this makes all of the royals a bit more likely because you haven't met any retainers by that point (sorry Oboro :^( ), you've really only met the 10 royals, the 3 servants + Gunter, Kaze, Rinkah, Garon, Iago and Hans. Also Mikoto. I might be missing someone but that's basically all of the characters you meet by chapter 6. We know none of the servants have a chance besides Felicia and Jakob, Iago and Hans are lol, I could see Kaze, but I don't think Rinkah would make it. We can't forget Mikoto is bye Felicia lol. So imho, the only candidates are the 10 royals (3 of which we've already gotten), a servant, Kaze, and Garon, and I really don't find Garon to be likely at all.

The point/time the Fates characters cross over probably means nothing of course, but I do feel like it could hurt some characters' chances. It'd make the most sense if they were all, somehow, connected to the characters we know of by Chapter 6. This just seemed really interesting to me and I haven't seen anyone mention it.  :):

2 hours ago, DaloDask said:

Its the best I could find on the fly, i'll try to dig up a Shadow Dragon poll if it exists.

10 hours ago, Truthblade said:

On another note, its really starting to sound like it is only those three games now. Not that I really care anymore. What I found most interesting was how it seems Awakening's inclusion was not much for its popularity but its nature. In fact, it seems that none of them were chosen on their popularity alone.

Yeah. Shadow Dragon was chosen because it was the oldest game and because it had Marth. Fates was chosen because it was the newest, and Awakening was chosen because it had a little bit of everything in it.

2 hours ago, Folt said:

Yeah. Shadow Dragon was chosen because it was the oldest game and because it had Marth. Fates was chosen because it was the newest, and Awakening was chosen because it had a little bit of everything in it.

I still hope for something from Echoes at least with it being the new "latest" game technically which I would imagine KT would have to been aware of for some time.

Perhaps it could serve as the Wind Waker equivalent to the story and come in later.

Edited by Sentinel07

Just now, Sentinel07 said:

I still hope for something from Echoes at least with it being the new "latest" game technically which I would imagine KT would have to been aware of for some time.

Perhaps it could serve as the Wind Waker equivalent to the story.

I don't think we're going to see any characters from Echoes before DLC (or a sequel), mainly because the class variety in that game is... kinda bad compared to the others.

I do think we're going to see some Gaiden/Echoes related stuff though because they did say that every FE amiibo will do something in this game.

12 hours ago, Anacybele said:

FE1 was released in 1990.

Zelda hasn't really begun to climb out of the "damsel in distress" role until the past decade.

2 hours ago, The DanMan said:

FE1 was released in 1990.

Zelda hasn't really begun to climb out of the "damsel in distress" role until the past decade.

So? She still isn't always one.