The joy of playing FEH (or: more money, more problems)

mampfoid

I used to do full summons but now that I've filled out most roles I need, sniping is more economical (I'm f2p) in getting my personal favorites and remaining needs. Sniping got me a good nature B! Cordelia and S!Corrin. Even in terms of the non-seasonal charcters, the odds of getting specific non-focus units gets worse and worse as more characters are released so if you don't pull them on their own banner, you don't have a good chance of getting them again.

I'd rather have 1 character I really like than 20 I don't. That said, all the bonfire fodder I got while failing to get Celica was appreciated.

I kinda play that way, haha. I wait for specific characters before I pull though, or if I have enough, I just do a few pulls. It gets more difficult to pull the more varying units you have. There are some characters I'm missing, but I still can't pull them out. As long as I get some units I need, I'm happy.

Also, it's important I get certain characters from new banners as well... xD I do wait before I at least have 200 orbs before I go for specific units.

I think pulling for a specific unit can be the most depressing thing, wether you invest money or not. If you get that unit, or better if you get that unit very soon, or right away at first pull, it can be very satisfying. On the other hand, if you spend all your hard earned orbs and dont get the unit you wanted most it can be very depressing. When you have to resort to buying orbs and still dont get that unit can be devastating.

IMO FE Heroes is played best with little to no expectations of what to get from a pull as you dont really have any influence on what you get, only chances. Even if you spend money, you are just paying for more chances. I made that mistake in the past when the IKE banner was up, after spending all my orbs and still not getting him I bought orbs and once I finally got him it didnt feel very rewarding to me.

14 hours ago, Alkaid said:

I primarily pull for the units I like, and/or ones that look fun to play with. Like for Summer Corrin, I don't really care about Corrin him/herself as a character, but as a flying blue mage? And with really nice art? You've got me sniping blues. (I love my Spring Camilla, so a blue version is too good to pass up)

[...]

Yes, that flying Corrin still itches me. She seems to be a cool unit with cute art and Camilla proved to be too useful to let go the only other flying mage. Your way to pull seems totally reasonable btw. 

14 hours ago, eclipse said:

As someone who does have favorites. . .who cares?  Perhaps I'll gain another favorite by using a different character.  Regardless, I am in desperate need of certain types of fodder, so full pulls make sense for me.

[...]

Fodder is always welcome, yes. The downside is, with much fodder you are always tempted to do 4* promotions while you try to save up feathers for that long queue of planned 5* promotions . 

13 hours ago, Johann said:

These are exactly my sentiments. I also had very little knowledge of the casts outside of Binding Blade and Awakening, and I've grown to really like certain characters I knew nothing about (many becoming core units for me).

Did you learn them to know after you pulled and played them? Or are you more tempted to snipe for certain units after knowing their story? 

13 hours ago, Alexmender said:

As someone with clear favoritism for certain characters Eirika is best girl and I'll fite you if you disagree I only tend to snipe if the character is really unique/broken or is one I absolutely want even if it is not the best in the roster, if not I prefer to do full summon sessions to get some fooder and maybe get pleasantly surprised by some off-focus 5*.

[...]

Sadly Ephraims sister is one of the characters that still evade me. Even if she is available as 4* star and i pulled many red units in July. 

13 hours ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

I've only sniped twice; for Leo, and Summer Leo. 

I did get Leo, after $200CAD and a 5* drop rate of about 8% (8% in each 5* rate, totaling at 16%). I was super worried though, because I could've gotten a 5* Henry at the time. Best $200 ever spent. 

No luck on the Summer Leo though. Haven't bought orbs yet. Probably wont.

----

I am, at heart, a collector. I'm aiming to eventually have 1 of every hero. But it doesn't stop me from appreciating what I have (in fact, I see if I can even make units with bad IV's viable).

Ultimately, it is up to you how you play the game. I wish you the best of luck. Until next time.

Wow that's quite some money for one unit. I didn't know the drop rate could raise up to 8%, i thought after 200 pulls you're guaranteed to get five 5* with your next summon. I also try to keep at least one copy of each character for collecting purposes. Good luck also to you! 

13 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

[...]

I still really want mist, but the game refuses to give me a good banner to pull from, war of the clerics block b was the worst and I had no orbs because there were no quests or daily orbs and I'm FtP. I will likely try for Ike in the CYL banner, but I do hope that they give us a good way to get the CYL heroes because if they are using their primary weapons we are looking at a .75% likelihood for getting anything specific. debating on summer corrin though, I never got spring camilla and a tome flier would be nice.

Good luck getting those units you want. How did you come to these numbers getting the CYL heroes and why does it matter what weapons they use? 

10 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I used to always do full pulls, but now that I'm always at max barracks capacity, I've started only Pulling from colors with Focus characters I want.

I've been pretty lucky with getting 5*s, but they tend to be -Atk half the time, I'm not jesting.

Some (too many) of my 5* are -ATK as well. That hurt especially Cain (who had to give his sword to Hana) and Y!Tiki, but some other units are fine with it, like Hector or Priscilla. From time to time i extend my barracks, because sending good fodder home for that tiny amount of feathers hurts too much. 

10 hours ago, XRay said:

Yeah, I went ultimately went with Corrin since she looks cuter than Robin. I figured it might be easier to get a better score with Corrin before switching to Robin.

So your bets for the ultimate win are on Robin? I was surprised Xander went out so early (that probably shows how few i know about FE characters). 

9 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I used to do full summons but now that I've filled out most roles I need, sniping is more economical (I'm f2p) in getting my personal favorites and remaining needs. Sniping got me a good nature B! Cordelia and S!Corrin. Even in terms of the non-seasonal charcters, the odds of getting specific non-focus units gets worse and worse as more characters are released so if you don't pull them on their own banner, you don't have a good chance of getting them again.

I'd rather have 1 character I really like than 20 I don't. That said, all the bonfire fodder I got while failing to get Celica was appreciated.

If you have units that fill out most roles, then that's probably a good way to pull. I didn't pull much for brides, i wanted a B!Cordelia like everyone, but got a B!Lyn who i like anyway. 

8 hours ago, CloudKnight said:

[...]
Also, it's important I get certain characters from new banners as well... xD I do wait before I at least have 200 orbs before I go for specific units.

Since i spend all my summer orbs for Sanaki (who never came to me), i didn't pull any of the 40% TT3 units. I hope that won't make my grind for the new seal too long. 

3 hours ago, re-beginner said:

[...]

IMO FE Heroes is played best with little to no expectations of what to get from a pull as you dont really have any influence on what you get, only chances. Even if you spend money, you are just paying for more chances. I made that mistake in the past when the IKE banner was up, after spending all my orbs and still not getting him I bought orbs and once I finally got him it didnt feel very rewarding to me.

To have little expectations could help generally in life to be happier, though that's pretty hard to archive ... especially with certain banners. :D 

8 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Did you learn them to know after you pulled and played them? Or are you more tempted to snipe for certain units after knowing their story? 

After I got them, yes. I drew Cain as my first 5* unit and knew nothing about him other than he was the original red cavalier. Now he's my favorite, mostly cuz he's such a ham. Similarly, I didn't even know Felicia existed until I did her daily rotation battle, but she won me over immediately and I quickly made her my first 5* promotion.

2 hours ago, mampfoid said:

So your bets for the ultimate win are on Robin? I was surprised Xander went out so early (that probably shows how few i know about FE characters). 

Yeah. She is one of the most popular avatar. Corrin is also an avatar, but I highly doubt she is as popular as Robin.

Crap. Ignore what I said. I just checked the score tracker on Reddit this morning Corrin actually got more votes than Robin. I thought I was joining the losing team so I could get more Feathers. I spent two hundred Flags before I went to sleep and I found it strange that it did not boost me up from the lowest rank so I did not stay up and put any more Flags.

Being a flying mage certainly boosts your popularity.

Edited by XRay

4 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Good luck getting those units you want. How did you come to these numbers getting the CYL heroes and why does it matter what weapons they use? 

I got the numbers by dividing the likelihood of getting a 5* by the number of users of a particular weapon, assuming that they use the same weapons that only makes it less likely to get exactly what you want because when you try to pull for 1 red you are trying for all of the reds regardless of what you want.

9 hours ago, re-beginner said:

Basically this. I find that when I go in with a shrug and "eh, I'll get what I get," I tend to get pleasantly surprised. It's like in Monster Hunter: it's the desire sensor. If the game knows that you really want that one particular unit, it'll withhold it and laugh at you getting frustrated. If you're relaxed about it, it can't lord anything over you, so it loosens up. That's how I got the majority of my strong units: Effie, Kagero, Eirika, Reinhardt, Takumi, Fae and the like.

18 hours ago, Johann said:

After I got them, yes. I drew Cain as my first 5* unit and knew nothing about him other than he was the original red cavalier. Now he's my favorite, mostly cuz he's such a ham. Similarly, I didn't even know Felicia existed until I did her daily rotation battle, but she won me over immediately and I quickly made her my first 5* promotion.

I also like Cain and got him him as one of my early 5*, but he was -ATK which is a bummer for a brave user. Hana got his sword, but i kept a 4* Cain copy, even if he would be good WoM fodder as well. Felicia is actually one of the few characters where i checked a little about her background (i usually don't check backgrounds of the latest games characters, because i will perhaps play awakening and/or fates in the future). She does great against mages, but she has quite some people in front of her in my promotion queue. 

18 hours ago, XRay said:

Yeah. She is one of the most popular avatar. Corrin is also an avatar, but I highly doubt she is as popular as Robin.

Crap. Ignore what I said. I just checked the score tracker on Reddit this morning Corrin actually got more votes than Robin. I thought I was joining the losing team so I could get more Feathers. I spent two hundred Flags before I went to sleep and I found it strange that it did not boost me up from the lowest rank so I did not stay up and put any more Flags.

Being a flying mage certainly boosts your popularity.

Do you need a certain colored ally to fulfill your quests to get more flags? Perhaps i'm bringing good fortune to team Corrin, since i pulled her yesterday finally.

14 hours ago, thecrimsonflash said:

I got the numbers by dividing the likelihood of getting a 5* by the number of users of a particular weapon, assuming that they use the same weapons that only makes it less likely to get exactly what you want because when you try to pull for 1 red you are trying for all of the reds regardless of what you want.

I still don't get it (and I have no idea who the CYL units will be). Starting to summon on a banner, you get 3% focus chance. To have 0.75% chance on a certain unit would mean there would have to be 4 units with the same weapon on one banner? 

13 hours ago, Extrasolar said:

Basically this. I find that when I go in with a shrug and "eh, I'll get what I get," I tend to get pleasantly surprised. It's like in Monster Hunter: it's the desire sensor. If the game knows that you really want that one particular unit, it'll withhold it and laugh at you getting frustrated. If you're relaxed about it, it can't lord anything over you, so it loosens up. That's how I got the majority of my strong units: Effie, Kagero, Eirika, Reinhardt, Takumi, Fae and the like.

Got to know its possible to be successful with that tactic. Perhaps its also better to not take the the game as an personal opponent? :) 

3 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I still don't get it (and I have no idea who the CYL units will be). Starting to summon on a banner, you get 3% focus chance. To have 0.75% chance on a certain unit would mean there would have to be 4 units with the same weapon on one banner? 

spoilers because I don't know if you want to know the CYL heroes or not.

Spoiler

the CYL units will be Ike, Roy, Lyn and lucina. All of Whom will very likely be red.

Edited by thecrimsonflash
clarification

17 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Do you need a certain colored ally to fulfill your quests to get more flags? Perhaps i'm bringing good fortune to team Corrin, since i pulled her yesterday finally.

You need certain colors to fulfill those quests, so if you do not see any friends or strangers bringing in a specific color you need, then you will have to bring that color yourself. Usually, you do not need to do it yourself if you play frequently since you will eventually get enough of each color through strangers.

19 hours ago, mampfoid said:

To have little expectations could help generally in life to be happier, though that's pretty hard to archive ... especially with certain banners. :D 

True, if the difference between how it is and how you want it to be is vast you might be chasing after wind. Yet, to little expectations about life could result in lowered ambitions.

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

I meant if you miss a certain color. I usually struggle to get the gray allies quest fulfilled, but that's currently no problem since your titanic bride is on team Corrin. 

Oh, not really. I usually do it frequently enough that I get everything by the end of the second day. If I am missing something, I usually just need one or two more of a certain color and I just bring in that color towards the end.

9 hours ago, mampfoid said:

Got to know its possible to be successful with that tactic. Perhaps its also better to not take the the game as an personal opponent? :) 

Yup! Before I used to get upset whenever I wouldn't get that exact unit that I wanted, and considered quitting the game because I would never get the powerful/meta units that everyone else had. I chilled out, took a deep breath, and started looking on the positive side. Sure, I might not have Hector, Ike or Ryoma, but I've got a ton of great skill fodder that a lot of people would love to have. This is my first experience with a gacha game, so I wasn't necessarily prepared for the realities of it.

Then I stopped caring what the game gave me. It rewarded me, since my luck improved drastically after that point. I had to remind myself that I play this game because I love FE Heroes and I enjoy playing it, not necessarily that I have to get everything all the time.

53 minutes ago, Extrasolar said:

I had to remind myself that I play this game because I love FE Heroes and I enjoy playing it, not necessarily that I have to get everything all the time.

Yeah. This is definitely the right attitude, though I find I reach stress points occasionally--where I really feel the lack of something (strong red mage/blue dancer/solid greens) and it bugs me more and more until I can fill the slot.

Then all is chill again, for a while at least.

Edited by Personette

@Extrasolar:

Like @Personette said, good attitude! Speaking of fodder, I'm happy next week IS will switch the summon rates of 4* and 3* units. It will be easier to grant some skills to the second row of heroes, reducing the feather cost of such side projects and making it easier to appreciate what the game gives to us. 

Edited by mampfoid
Structure

I've always preferred full pulls and will likely do them primarily. But right now the best way to get what I want is unfortunately sniping. As a result my fodder quality has diminished greatly but I blew through 80 orbs on the Alm banner and a few more before I got Delthea. Had I only been sniping blues and reds, I could have potentially gotten her and Gray. Depending on the banner I'm doing full pulls or sniping. I'll probably do full pulls on the Hero Fest and TT banners (except if there's like 3 Colorless orbs on the latter) because I benefit from everyone and I pretty much want almost everyone there (except the extraordinarily overrated Julia) but for the summer banner I don't need or want any of the units except S!Corrin so it's a waste pulling anything other than blue when there are so many other places for orbs to go this month.

That being said, not getting S!Corrin each pull feels like flushing orbs down the toilet when factoring in that a *5 could be in literally any of the other orbs in the pool. But you just have to put those kinds of thoughts out of your head. Sniping is how I got S!Robin the day before the banner expired, so I'll keep trying.

One reason I've stopped doing full 5-orb pulls is lack of space. I'm trying to hold off on expanding my barracks for as long as possible. As a result, I've been hovering around the 180-190 unit range for the past two months. Getting 5-star units I don't want just clogs things up further.