Voting Gauntlet: Choose Your Legends!

Vaximillian

Voting Gauntlet: Choose Your Legends!  

295 members have voted

1. 1. Whom are you going to support?

26 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

It would be nice to smash the matriarchy and see a boy win for a change.  If Lyn is ever in a future gauntlet, she'll probably win.  Ike is the only one who would really give her a challenge.

At least this voting guantlet is more even compared to the past ones. 

Maybe all the female characters formed a pact together to ensure their continued dominance. The male characters are fighting to break it with very poor success. 

It would be nice to have an all male, pre 3ds or Hoshidan banner (they deserve some spotlight at least).

Oh and I think Ike is beginning to get too comfortable around me. He's one of my most common allies and in my current match, there's two of them. Would be interesting if regular Ike and CYL Ike had a conversation together. 

12 minutes ago, phineas81707 said:

I'm rusty too. We're all rusty.

Then a best of three, with us switching parties each round?

At least you guys are better than me considering I've barely touched the game. I did well with Ike as my main Brawl (I think). 

Edited by Paris

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

It would be nice to smash the matriarchy and see a boy win for a change.  If Lyn is ever in a future gauntlet, she'll probably win.  Ike is the only one who would really give her a challenge.

Best girl is best.  Ike should feel blessed to bend the knee for our lady.

4 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

Ummm, under customer support in the Faq/etc section

Ah, thanks. I thought it was just in the FAQ section, didn't think to go into Customer Support.

The feedback has been sent. Hope I get some response.

1 minute ago, phineas81707 said:

Ah, thanks. I thought it was just in the FAQ section, didn't think to go into Customer Support.

The feedback has been sent. Hope I get some response.

I'm doing it too. It says they don't respond directly to any feedback but hopefully they will do something and explain it in a daily notification.

27 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

My main point is, if you're going to be negative, at least be constructive about your negativity so I can crush your idea to the ground.

You sure about that last part? All of my ideas are complete shit. You'd find no challenge in destroying them at all.

1 hour ago, Astellius said:

Oh! Glad to hear you've been getting her! How has she been working out for you? I know she's one of my favorites to use, and I even remembered to swap out Fortify Fliers for Fortify Def 3. I figured my Ike allies would appreciate a powerful green nuke, especially if the randos have been insisting on Ike Emblem as they have for me. I got your Soren once or twice, he's pretty great! I've mostly been getting someone's fantastic Linde, I should look up who it is.

Let me know if you want me to switch characters though. I finished training up my CYL Lucina, and she's fully decked out now!

She's been working out great so I'll leave it up to you on whether you want to switch her out for Brave!Lucina or someone else.

15 minutes ago, kcirrot said:

I fail to see any problem with the winning team, you know actually winning.  *Shrug*

The problem is not with the fact that the winning team is going to win, it's the fact that players joining the winning team for nothing but the victory rewards

1. assures the winning team a win, and
  2. increases the gap in size between the winning and losing teams.

The main issue from a gameplay perspective is that when the gap in size is larger, people become less interested in participating because they know what the outcome is going to be and that their individual contribution is but a drop in the ocean. So instead of rallying for the character to win (because you know they're going to win and there's nothing you can do to help out), it turns into a "do I care about the ranking rewards?" which defeats the purpose of the game mode.

May as well just have Tempest Trials by another name at that point if only the rewards are what matters.

1 minute ago, Tybrosion said:

You sure about that last part? All of my ideas are complete shit. You'd find no challenge in destroying them at all.

I will burn your ideas to ashes and then threaten to step on them really hard.

Edited by Ice Dragon

13 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Trying to make the losing team outright more appealing than the winning team shits on the players who support the character who will probably win because they actually do like that character. And players who are supporting a character because they like the character are the ones you want to avoid shitting on as much as possible because those are likely your most engaged players.

The system as it exists now gives the losing team a double bonus of much easier ranking overall and getting the possibility of an upset win for victory feathers.  In the event an underdog like Gaius or Roy gets a win, their players get the benefit of several multipliers to buff their rank, while the favorite/losing team gets no such benefit and still loses out on the victory and associated feathers.  The current system shits on the favorites, unless they're like Corrin who win by an 8:1 margin.

to anyone doubting the power of flags, Ike still has not caught up to Lyn's score yet, despite Lyn only getting one more multiplier than him

and Ike has generally been scoring 15 million more per hour

please don't waste them

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Yet you conveniently missed mine in the previous page after I stood up for you. The heck, man :<

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

The system as it exists now gives the losing team a double bonus of much easier ranking overall and getting the possibility of an upset win for victory feathers.

Assuming they're even online to take advantage of the multiplier. That's my beef with the multipliers.

3 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

May as well just have Tempest Trials by another name at that point if only the rewards are what matters.

Would be an improvement, every VG thread after the first day devolves into complaining about every part of it (except "I got your Ryoma and it was bitchin").

2 minutes ago, a bear said:

Assuming they're even online to take advantage of the multiplier. That's my beef with the multipliers.

Would be an improvement, every VG thread after the first day devolves into complaining about every part of it (except "I got your Ryoma and it was bitchin").

I would love to see a Tempest Style mode where we got a pool of our friend's units to help make teams out of.

As it exists now, the Gauntlet system has many flaws.  As Ice Dragon has said several times in the past.  It often the best strategy to just not play at all, and that seems counter intuitive to good game design.

0048c81327.jpg

Y'all

They're very nearly neck & neck

Is this really happening right now?

Anything really CAN change???

6 minutes ago, a bear said:

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

I would love to see a Tempest Style mode where we got a pool of our friend's units to help make teams out of.

As it exists now, the Gauntlet system has many flaws.  As Ice Dragon has said several times in the past.  It often the best strategy to just not play at all, and that seems counter intuitive to good game design.

Y'all really just stole my idea?

1 minute ago, Motendra said:

Y'all really just stole my idea?

If I did, it was unintentional, but great minds think alike, I suppose.

16 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

The system as it exists now gives the losing team a double bonus of much easier ranking overall and getting the possibility of an upset win for victory feathers.  In the event an underdog like Gaius or Roy gets a win, their players get the benefit of several multipliers to buff their rank, while the favorite/losing team gets no such benefit and still loses out on the victory and associated feathers.  The current system shits on the favorites, unless they're like Corrin who win by an 8:1 margin.

We've had 2 total upsets in what is about to be 18 rounds (25 if you count the Voting Gauntlet with the static 3× multiplier). Upsets are not common enough to be able to say that it "shits on the favorites".

3 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Y'all

They're very nearly neck & neck

Is this really happening right now?

Anything really CAN change???\

Hector's been increasing his lead by 16 million an hour for the past few hours. Chrom doesn't have a chance at this point.

Just now, Jingle Jangle said:

Come on team Camilla is multiplier is about to kick in. Use more flags so Tharja can win.

@a bear See, these are the fun kind of posts that can only happen with the multiplier mechanic.

Edited by Ice Dragon

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The problem is not with the fact that the winning team is going to win, it's the fact that players joining the winning team for nothing but the victory rewards

1. assures the winning team a win, and
  2. increases the gap in size between the winning and losing teams.

The main issue from a gameplay perspective is that when the gap in size is larger, people become less interested in participating because they know what the outcome is going to be and that their individual contribution is but a drop in the ocean. So instead of rallying for the character to win (because you know they're going to win and there's nothing you can do to help out), it turns into a "do I care about the ranking rewards?" which defeats the purpose of the game mode.

Still not seeing what problem you're trying to fix.  People did participate before we had the mechanic.   Sure some people check out and pick the obvious winner, but that hasn't changed one bit.  The multiplier does exactly nothing to fix that.  If anything it makes it worse.  I've barely played the Lyn v. Lucina round because I couldn't sleep when it started early Thursday morning.  Thus in the yo yo that the multiplier causes in the first few hours, I managed to build up enough of a score that I'm basically locked into the top 1000.  And I get to save my remaining flags.  That's just dumb and unfair even though I'm benefiting from it.

The only reason to play this game is for fun, and competitions that aren't fair aren't fun.  Nothing kills interest more than a game that's meaningless.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

We've had 2 total upsets in what is about to be 18 rounds (25 if you count the Voting Gauntlet with the static 3× multiplier). Upsets are not common enough to be able to say that it "shits on the favorites".

Literally even the possibility that an upset can occur "shits on the favorites."  

@a bear See, these are the fun kind of posts that can only happen with the multiplier mechanic.

There was nothing that was more fun that the silly memes and video that came out of Camilla's gauntlet.

Edited by kcirrot

1 minute ago, a bear said:

I skipped all of Roys multipliers expecting to use flags when they were over 6x. I fell asleep for less than 3 hours and forgot to set an alarm. Woke up 30 mins after his last and final multiplier ended and now my score is going to be shit. I only went with him to boost my cumulative rank before joining Ike for the win. Now I'm going to have to join a Round 2 loser if I want to salvage my cumulative score.

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I would prefer to have something more similar to the TT. Being able to play at one's own pace without the 30 min cooldown would be great. It would reward players who put in time and bandwagoning would be less obvious.

Hiding the total team scores and players ranks within a team until after a round is completed would also destroy bandwagoning because no one would know how big each team is so there would be no obvious choice for a free 500 feathers.

5 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Hector's been increasing his lead by 16 million an hour for the past few hours. Chrom doesn't have a chance at this point.

Thanks for the realism, but let me have this moment. Chrom vs Hector has been lit throughout for me, yet for some reason NO ONE's talking about it

Dafuq, where mah team at?

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

What changes would you suggest.  In the past you noted that both sides benefit by not playing at all and just waiting for the multiplier.  I've thought of a few possibilities, and believe there are ways to make it better than it is.  "Shits on the favorites" were your words, not my original phrase.

2 minutes ago, kcirrot said:

Still not seeing what problem you're trying to fix.  People did participate before we had the mechanic.   Sure some people check out and pick the obvious winner, but that hasn't changed one bit.  The multiplier does exactly nothing to fix that.  If anything it makes it worse.  I've barely played the Lyn v. Lucina round because I couldn't sleep when it started early Thursday morning.  Thus in the yo yo that the multiplier causes in the first few hours, I managed to build up enough of a score that I'm basically locked into the top 1000.  And I get to save my remaining flags.  That's just dumb and unfair even though I'm benefiting from it.

The only reason to play this game is for fun, and competitions that aren't fair aren't fun.  Nothing kills interest more than a game that's meaningless.

I'm a bit of a crusader when I feel things aren't fair, but that's an aspect of my personal life that doesn't see much light here.

2 minutes ago, kcirrot said:

Literally even the possibility that an upset can occur "shits on the favorites."  

Yeah, if the Cubs lost the World Series due to a blown call in Game 7 last year, it would have been one time too many.