Rowan/Lianna Story Speculation

Corbin

With Fire Emblem Warriors a week away, I thought I'd take the time to address something that hasn't been talked about much: our two protagonists. More specifically, I want to discuss their role in Story Mode: what their characterization will be like, what differences there will be (if any), what characters they'll support, etc. I'll start off:

Lianna: The more fleshed out of the two. Doubts herself a lot and feels like an unworthy heir to her mother (likely the main reason why she's wants to abdicate the throne to Rowan). She'll likely gain confidence in herself over the course of the game before accepting her role as the new queen. During the Fates segment of the game, she and Darius will end up in Nohr aiding the royal family while they search for Rowan (who is over in Hoshido). I can definitley see her having supports with Xander and Cordelia (two characters who, to a degree, relate to her).

Rowan: The "vanilla" of the two. Somewhat immature based on some of the screenshots and cutscenes and almost certainly will be hit with the distress ball more often (ex. Falling down the hill during the Awakening arc and may potentially be rescued by the Hoshidan royal family when he gets separated from his sister). If anything, he may mature throughout the course of the game. As stated before, he'll be separated from Lianna during Fates and will end up with the Hoshidan royal family. Based on in-game dialogue, he may have supports with Ryoma and Chrom, the two other "Warrior Princes".

Both: Whoever you choose to play as will be the one who inherits the throne at the end of the game.

They seem to be very safe by anime standards, so we'll get the rambunctious, loud guy and the gentle, sweet princess. Effectively Naruto and Celica 2.0. 

They will no doubt talk about the strength and importance of bonds and friendship a lot, and grow stronger together with everyone else. They'll be told that they'll become excellent rulers after their swords' awakened forms defeat the evil dragon.

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

They seem to be very safe by anime standards, so we'll get the rambunctious, loud guy and the gentle, sweet princess. Effectively Naruto and Celica 2.0. 

They will no doubt talk about the strength and importance of bonds and friendship a lot, and grow stronger together with everyone else. They'll be told that they'll become excellent rulers after their swords' awakened forms defeat the evil dragon.

Essentially your typical Shonen anime structure.

Edited by Tolvir

Bonus: they'll have at least one quirk. Lianna might be an impossibly bad cook, which is an exceedingly popular trope in anime.

Hopefully they'll surprise me. I may be completely wrong and look like a dolt in hindsight, but I'll take that over them being exactly what you'd expect.

38 minutes ago, Corbin said:

Both: Whoever you choose to play as will be the one who inherits the throne at the end of the game.

That sounds like an interesting feature. Hopefully Rowan won't take much of the spotlight. This makes me want to play as Lianna first.

You bet I'll play as Rowan! Believe it! 

I really don't have any predictions for these two. If it's revealed this game's dark dragon god has some human emissary, then Rowan will probably have some murderous revenge in mind for them that Lianna tries and fails to talk him out of. And if it's revealed that their lack of power or carelessness had some part in their mother's death, then you know they'll have a therapy support with Corrin who's going through the same thing.

50 minutes ago, familyplayer said:

I mean, that's what Fates' story was when you think about it. It even had the bs power up that doesn't make sense aka the Yato

Pretty much. But didn't they hire a guy who does a lot of shonen style anime? Or at least a lot that follows a more generic style. Could be wrong there, not all that familiar with Japanese writers.

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

That sounds like an interesting feature. Hopefully Rowan won't take much of the spotlight. This makes me want to play as Lianna first.

If that Awakening cutscene is anything to go by, it seems like she's treated as more of a leader than Rowan. Which should be a given if you're the oldest, let alone first in line to your mother's throne.

Edited by Corbin

33 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Pretty much. But didn't they hire a guy who does a lot of shonen style anime? Or at least a lot that follows a more generic style. Could be wrong there, not all that familiar with Japanese writers.

They did but from what i hear, Fates story is actually pretty different from the original version that the manga author wrote for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the original version was actually better than what we got in the end.

I'm noting expect a lot, but I'm hoping the good times will roll. Let us not be too critical, because let's face it, none of us will be playing this for the plot. So don't treat it like Fates.

I will say friendship is such a boring topic though. What we need is something much more fascinating and even more powerful than friendship could ever be.

Spoiler

Benevolence! Lots and lots of benevolence! Justice too I shall admit as a certain horseman used to keep reminding me, but benevolence comes first! We must be benevolent in every massacre of peons we commit. Benevolence can save and reunite any kingdom. We must raid the citadel of evil no matter how many times we fail with boundless benevolence. 

I hereby appoint myself Prime Minister of Lianna and Rowan's kingdom. I will have you know I am second to none as a tactician, save for my great mentor who sadly has passed away, it was he who taught me the ways of benevolence.

Now forward armies of benevolence, forwa- What?! The enemy has seized our base? But how- *Head is chopped off*

Finally! Even in another dimension I can hear you shouting all the time. Sorry Jiang Wei, but I can't let you mount a Shu reclamation effort in any world. *Yawn* Now I can kick back in Wei with my Yuanji again.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

They did but from what i hear, Fates story is actually pretty different from the original version that the manga author wrote for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the original version was actually better than what we got in the end.

He also game them a thousand or longer page script when all they needed was a few hundred if I remember correctly. They had to really cut a lot out.

9 hours ago, Thane said:

Naruto so much more than that, but I can't argue they don't look anything more than that.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

What's gonna happen is that Rowan can do absolutely no wrong while Lianna fucks up massively somewhere in the story and Rowan has to fix all of it.

Dude, c'mon I'm a cynic myself but that's a bit much.

After all, what would make the Renai twins stand out when they finally get confirm?

All I'm asking is that the cast of FE don't shill the twins being the greatest thing since sliced bread.

2 hours ago, Zangetsu said:

All I'm asking is that the cast of FE don't shill the twins being the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Nah this is Warriors, everyone will be shilling literally everyone :p

13 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Nah this is Warriors, everyone will be shilling literally everyone :p

To be fair, this is the series where the serious crown prince told the serial killer she'd be a perfect queen for his country, so I mean it's not like that's not a thing in Fire Emblem.