Little Icons...

I'm wondering if newbies, eggs, hatchlings, nestlings, herons, and royals are getting little icons like these, or if they are even being worked on...

sff-as.png

I don't mind if they aren't, but it would be a good addition to SF.

Hell, even the exiled have one...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had them for all the members at one point, but it got confusing with members without avatars. It made lazy people have to look at the name.

You're kidding right...?

Things have to be so convenient that we have to make it so people don't look at NAMES anymore?

Edited by Cynthia

We had them for all the members at one point, but it got confusing with members without avatars. It made lazy people have to look at the name.

I can't help it but laugh out loud. Too lazy to look at the name :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyways, little icons would be awesome.

I can't help it but laugh out loud. Too lazy to look at the name :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyways, little icons would be awesome.

I have to agree, I don't see making it easier for people to be lazy as a liable excuse.

However I disagree with the icons as it would be more difficult to tell what a users rank is, and how much higher it is than other ranks.

Newcomers won't be able to determine Royals are higher than Herons, as the icons won't show the ranking. The little box ranking that goes up with post count makes it easier to determine that.

For example, I only have six boxes, while Richter Abend has 8, thus making it obvious he is a higher rank than I.

Edited by Cynthia

The problem of people unintentionally associating members with the image was more problematic than one might think it would be. It wasn't necessarily a barrier, but it was a cause for disorientation because a few people would automatically associate everyone without a personal avatar to that one image. A small minority of members were unable to ignore the this subconscious linking, and a few took to ad-blocking the image in order to avoid the unnecessary and aggravating confusion.

Edit (2008.11.07):

This problem probably wouldn't exist if icons are only given after a certain number of posts or some other similar criteria so I can see higher ranked members receiving an icon as has been suggested. Fewer people would have it and they'd all likely all have their own unique avatars. The only issue I can see is whether or not people would spam in order to get the icon a couple of days sooner than they otherwise would.

Edited by Wist

The problem of people unintentionally associating members with the image was more problematic than one might think it would be. It wasn't necessarily a barrier, but it was a cause for disorientation because a few people would automatically associate everyone without a personal avatar to that one image. A small minority of members were unable to ignore the this subconscious linking, and a few took to ad-blocking the image in order to avoid the unnecessary and aggravating confusion.

Edit (2008.11.07):

This problem probably wouldn't exist if icons are only given after a certain number of posts or some other similar criteria. Fewer people would have it and they'd all likely all have their own unique avatars. The only issue I can see is whether or not people would spam in order to get the icon a couple of days sooner than they otherwise would.

I have an Idea but im gonna PM it to you so ppl wont know the conditions, hence they wont know what to do to get it

Back then, members had the Rafiel icon but people got confused or they didn't really like it. Anyway, I think it's better like this now. It does help distinguishing between staff and normal members. Also, regarding my group icon (XD), that's just a special case, so it doesn't mean members will be getting custom ones any time soon.

As for Exiled group icons, I guess those stayed to distinguish between the banned from the rest.

I like the idea of Royals being able to have their own custom one.

But I also understand that it may be unfair and impossible to do.

Personally, if we can't do a custom one, I'm not sure I really want one. It sorta takes away individuality, and Rafiel is kinda lame. Lol.

Royals already have their names grayed to distinguish themselves from other members. There's no need to give them icons.
I am going to flame you for that post.

*Flames, but doesn't really flame, just fake-flames*

...Oh, no I'm not.

Anyway, Yeah, but I said atleast. I think it would be more...better...er? to give atleast herons and up icons...

Staff's choice though. I'll go with whatever they choose. Yep. [/Gatrie imitator]

What's the point? Herons get the ability to close thier own topics, and Royals get thier names grayed out/the ability to delete thier own posts. They don't need any thing else.