Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Honestly, I'm not feeling it so far.

The Ken reveal and cinematic was cool. Aside from that, I am indifferent to Pokemon and Spirits Mode is just a next iteration of "Brawl Stickers" and "4's Custom Fighters." I never believed in the leak but I have a feeling it affected my expectations for this Direct. It also seems the Direct is full of padding to fill out the running time...

Hopefully they cover the bosses and a possible story mode. If there is no story mode, I'm gonna be disappointed.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is just those two, I can see why he said they had gone a bit gung-ho.

Oh man, Shadow and Isaac. At least Isaac is back, even if he’s just an assist trophy again like Shadow.

Edited by Dai

So Rex definitely got deconfirmed both as a playable fighter and as DLC........
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 

Something might have been a little off with the structure of today's direct. At first it seemed that the reveal of Spirits mode shot down a campaign....but then at the end it showed we indeed got a campaign. 

I'm a little bit disappointing that Ken and the wrestling Pokemon were the last two new reveals. That sounds pretty ungrateful after 74 characters but I think this is what happens when you let the Hype train ride on full speed so long. There seemed common consensus that there would be at least 4 characters left to go. 

the first 30 minutes where a bit of a letdown. Inciniroar is fine, but not the Pokemon representative that I would have picked. Ken is inoffensive, but not someone who I care about.

After that it was a long drag through all the different menu's and options. That part could have been twice as short and we would not have missed all that much.

On the other hand Piranha plant is completely amazing and they did show a neat last little story trainer. So in the last 10 minutes the direct got back to hype for me.

Well I'm pretty satisfied. Love the way they're taking customization this time. Obviously would love it if we had custom specials on top of it, but that's completely unrealistic with the roster size. As far as the Stickers/Badge based customization is, this seems to be by far the best way of doing it. It gives the character of Brawl with the usability of SSB4. And it's all tied to the story mode, which looks like it's just going to be a near endless number of event matches, which personally has me stoked.

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

So Rex definitely got deconfirmed both as a playable fighter and as DLC........
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 

Something might have been a little off with the structure of today's direct. At first it seemed that the reveal of Spirits mode shot down a campaign....but then at the end it showed we indeed got a campaign. 

I'm a little bit disappointing that Ken and the wrestling Pokemon were the last two new reveals. That sounds pretty ungrateful after 74 characters but I think this is what happens when you let the Hype train ride on full speed so long. There seemed common consensus that there would be at least 4 characters left to go. 

What makes you think he's deconfirmed as DLC? There's Inkling Costumes and characters. Did he appear as a spirit somewhere? If not, then I think he has a pretty good chance since he was expressly highlighted as a character that didn't get in only because his release date was after the initial planning stage.

Edited by Jotari

I can't believe the whole roster got Thanos'd.

Where my Pirahna Plant mains at?

Seeing Rex as a Mii Costume killed me. At least they confirmed XC2 music so the representation is there. But Elma is defineitly DLC right? RIGHT?!

Smash Ultimate theme as an actual song gives me life.

Anyway, the Grinch is dead, i told you all, never believe another leak ever again.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

I am seriously curious as to what would cause that reaction. Alas, I'm at work.

It’s the last thing in the direct, and it explains a few reveal trailers rather well.

Also, I find Piranha Plant REALLY WEIRD. Like...I do think the ire of legit Waluigi fans is justified.

I got what I wanted already, so I’m pretty pleased otherwise. That new Adventure mode looks hella dope.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

What makes you think he's deconfirmed as DLC? There's Inkling Costumes and characters. Did he appear as a spirit somewhere? If not, then I think he has a pretty good chance since he was expressly highlighted as a character that didn't get in only because his release date was after the initial planning stage.

Well, originally it was because I took his ''So we can't add characters from Xenoblade 2'' in a general sense, meaning for the entire project but I also think the phrase ''We added this costume so you are able to feel like playing Rex'' to be a hint that the boy himself aint coming. If he was there'd be no need to give out a costume so we could ''feel'' like Rex right? 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Piranha Plant eh? An interesting and amusing choice. A shame there is not another Xenoblade Chronicles rep (a costume does not count), but it is what it is. I would have liked to see what is coming for DLC, but I guess it is under wraps because some characters may be third party and negotiations may still be in progress.

Adventure Mode saved the Direct for me. A shame it is not apparently a "deep storyline" like in Brawl, but I'll take it. I loved the opening cutscene, especially the bit with Shulk and Snake. And of course Kirby starts everything off. Kirby is the most OP character confirmed! // I just wonder if there are platforming stages in Adventure or if it is normal battles with a twist (with some boss encounters here and there).

Not too keen on the lyrical song, but it may grow on me. My favorite Smash is probably still Brawl because of its music, Subspace Emissary, and overall aesthetic.

Also, no Stage Builder this time around? I just remembered about that and not having a Stage builder sorta sucks. I loved that feature in Brawl...

I guess it's nice to see the Black Knight in the game in some capacity.  My fingers are still crossed for a Fire Emblem: Three Houses DLC pack.

Also, Adventure Mode is back, yay.

Piranha Plant as a playable character is absolutely stupid, though.  Just, ...why?  Heck, I would even unironically prefer Waluigi as a playable character over a Piranha Plant.

2 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well, originally it was because I took his ''So we can't add characters from Xenoblade 2'' in a general sense, meaning for the entire project but I also think the phrase ''We added this costume so you are able to feel like playing Rex'' to be a hint that the boy himself aint coming. If he was there'd be no need to give out a costume so we could ''feel'' like Rex right? 

I took it as "We can't add characters from Xenoblade 2 since it was announced after our initial planning phase. BTW, we haven't started making any of the DLC yet."