Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Hahah, ohhhhh noooo. I'm not even mad that the Grinch leak was fake, it was extremely well done.

Isaac as an AT was an absolute kick in the teeth. Incineroar...the less I say about him, the better. Ken was expected. Flipping Piranah Plant? Really?

Honestly, my biggest reaction was when I saw Tsubasa from Tokyo Mirage Sessions as a Spirit, here's to hoping for Itsuki, Touma and Ellie!

Fire Emblem shot up to three ATs: Lyn, Black Knight and adult Tiki. GBA. GameCube/Wii, 3DS. I think that's fair. In Spirits, we get a large range from across the series.

World of Light looks fantastic, and I can't wait to play it. Marth got a fair amount of screen time here, which was enough to salvage the Direct, hahah.

In the end, Bandana Dee survived the massacre - that's enough for me.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing a surprising amount of people not "get" that Spirits are the replacement for trophies. What I want to know is, do they have descriptions? It's a bummer if they don't. Melee's trophy descriptions are the reason I tried out Zelda, and almost every nintendo game I've ever played besides Mario and Pokemon

Edited by Glennstavos

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Just gonna leave this here

Dq7OBftVYAAIoHZ?format=jpg

Not saying you can't (because i personally don't care for worst Gen 7 starter Incineroar and Rex being 99% deconfirmed hurts) but all the Direct did was show even more content and yet some people are acting as if the Direct killed the hype for Ultimate or something.

Look, we get it, you were right, congratulations, give yourself a damn pat on the back. As far as me, though, believing the Grinch leak was already tempering my expectations because I cared not for a single character in it. And yet, I'm even more disappointed.

Just now, Glennstavos said:

Seeing a surprising amount of people not "get" that Spirits are the replacement for trophies. What I want to know is, do they have descriptions? It's a bummer if they don't. Melee's trophy descriptions are the reason I tried out Zelda, and every nintendo game I've ever played besides Mario and Pokemon

I get it, and it disappoints me. Probably no descriptions, no 3D models, probably no special versions of fighters (like the All-Star trophies).

13 minutes ago, Sasori said:

Poor Piranha. A great 'wtf' character thats getting crucified online for not being Isaac/Geno/Skull kid/other frequently asked character. I'd like any of those characters in, but I don't think Piranha Plant was a factor in them not getting in.

I mean... I really don't see what's great about the plant being a "surprise" character. So Sakurai looked at a list of characters that absolutely no one was asking for and we're meant to praise him for it? I'm not trying to crucify people that like him, on the contrary, all the power to the fans! Buuuut... Let's not pretend there isn't a legitimate reason to not like this character inclusion, even putting aside Isaac/Skull Kid/Geno deconfirmation. 

I knew it, I slept throught it.

Well, as I mentioned earlier, even Isaac back as an Assist was victory. Heck, looking at it, he now does more than just move fighters around with Master Hand the psynergy hand, so that's even a plus.

I'm satisfied, overall.

I mean even if you think adding a free joke character is a good idea, why not Waluigi or someone people actually wanted? I hate Waluigi but that would've been much better than Pirahna Plant. At least you're adding a character with some fans instead of a character with literally zero fans.

9 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Seeing a surprising amount of people not "get" that Spirits are the replacement for trophies. What I want to know is, do they have descriptions? It's a bummer if they don't. Melee's trophy descriptions are the reason I tried out Zelda, and almost every nintendo game I've ever played besides Mario and Pokemon

Wait, they are?

7 minutes ago, Florete said:

Look, we get it, you were right, congratulations, give yourself a damn pat on the back. As far as me, though, believing the Grinch leak was already tempering my expectations because I cared not for a single character in it. And yet, I'm even more disappointed.

That's not my point (the image was there to make things a bit more humorous). Look, i'm upset that my most wanted charcater is basically almost deconfirmed. In fact, not even my top 5 got in. Incineroar got in and he's the worst Gen 7 starter imo.

But i can't see why people would be disapointed when all the Direct did was show even more content. Right now, all i'm noticing from the people who are disapointed are either because 

A. They believed the leak

B. Their character(s) didn't get in.

You can be disapointed if you want, i personally just think it's petty when the game is filled to the brim with content with more on the way.

37 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, that's entierly subjective. Both have potentials for very unique movesets, whoever has the better potential is subjective.

Literally within the same year. Heck, X released overseas and Ultimate started development in the same month, meaing only Japan really knew Elma at the time.

I dunno man, i know you said you didn't mind if Elma got in but you're arguments just seem biased against her. Yes, Rex is the most recent protaganist, but as it stands right now, Elma has a higher chance.

Actually, can someone watch the Japanese Direct and tell us what Sakurai said during the Rex mii costume portion? As @Etrurian emperor said, Sakurai made it seem like there would be no XC2 characters playable but it could've been mistranslated.

I mean, I am arguing against Elma getting in. Is that not clear? Bias isn't the right word though because I don't have any personal grudge for her as a Smash character or anything. And I don't even have all that much love for Rex either (I'd actually much prefer Isaac or Saki, but that ain't happening). I'm being objective about it. I'm sure Elma would make a fine fighter. But I do think Rex would make a better one and has much more going for him by virtue of the fact that he's from a game that out sold Xenoblade X and is still on the market, meaning it can still get a boost in sales from Smash representation. And yeah, Xenoblade X was released long before the planning stage was finished. Compare and contrast to Pokemon Sun and Moon which was released over a year and a half after Xenoblade X and got a character in the base game (hell Xenoblade X was released before the first Splatoon!). If they wanted Elma, she'd be up on the site now. There's absolutely no reason for Elma to get in as DLC and not Rex aside from "I like Elma more." Ultimately I don't care at all which, if either of them actually get in the game (would legit prefer a Malos Echo to either of them because I like his design and want more villains), I just don't see any reason why they would both neglect Rex and highlight Elma.

Edited by Jotari

Wait, Incineroar is in this? That one from Pokemon Sun & Moon who does nothing but job all the time because of it's low speed and everyone and their mother having fighting moves? Do people actually like that one? Personally I was kinda hoping not to see that one again.

Piranha Plant is cool though. It's amazingly goofy.

And I am really happy to see Ken in. Don't care much about Shadow. Unless he got a gun. That would actually be super dumb in a good way.

So Tiki gets her Awakening design and not her classic one? How erect can Sakurai's Awakening boner possible be?

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's not my point (the image was there to make things a bit more humorous). Look, i'm upset that my most wanted charcater is basically almost deconfirmed. In fact, not even my top 5 got in. Incineroar got in and he's the worst Gen 7 starter imo.

But i can't see why people would be disapointed when all the Direct did was show even more content. Right now, all i'm noticing from the people who are disapointed are either because 

A. They believed the leak

B. Their character(s) didn't get in.

You can be disapointed if you want, i personally just think it's petty when the game is filled to the brim with content with more on the way.

Both of those are true for me, but my disappointment runs deeper. Yeah, we saw more content...but not good content imo. Series staples are gone, the newcomers are dumb, and Sakurai's baby is the star of the adventure mode.

Like, I'm still getting the game, and I suspect I'll still like it if only for the the basic Smash, but I also suspect it will feel emptier than previous Smash games outside of the roster.

Ken and Incineroar were expected, I still have to watch the Direct since I missed it by being on the bus -_-

3 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Anyone Pokemon feel free to correct me on this, but I could've sworn Primarina (or whatever it's called) was the most popular the starter this gen?

Pretty sure it's Decidueye but either way, the wrestling Pokemon was the obvious choice to make as a fighter. IDk how Primarina would even move around the stage~

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Not sure if it's been pointed out but Rena Strober is confirmed to have sung the new Lifelight song that played during that adventure mode segment in the Direct.

Oh, wow. I had an odd inkling that it was her, but wow. She sounds really good here.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Not sure if it's been pointed out but Rena Strober is confirmed to have sung the new Lifelight song that played during that adventure mode segment in the Direct.

I KNEW IT!

5 minutes ago, Landmaster said:

Ken and Incineroar were expected, I still have to watch the Direct since I missed it by being on the bus -_-

Pretty sure it's Decidueye but either way, the wrestling Pokemon was the obvious choice to make as a fighter. IDk how Primarina would even move around the stage~

There's a playable plant character, I'm pretty sure movement is the least of a seal looking thing's problems

Also thank you for correcting me.

Edited by Zangetsu

Wow, I'm really looking forward to playing with Pirahna Plant!

Also, "I'm really looking forward to playing as Pirahna Plant" is something I never expected to say, ever. Also, how did they end up putting Pirahna Plant of all things into Smash?

Ken is alright, and Incineroar I will probably ignore but he could be neat. Mostly excited for Spirits mode, World of Light, eventual DLC characters, and Pirahna Plant out of this direct.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate: World of Light (EVERYONE FUCKING DIES)except Kirby

Can't wait for more Kirby saving the world a millionenth time. No joke, I love kirby. The pink puffball of power and speed shall rule this world (of light),

29 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I mean even if you think adding a free joke character is a good idea, why not Waluigi or someone people actually wanted? I hate Waluigi but that would've been much better than Pirahna Plant. At least you're adding a character with some fans instead of a character with literally zero fans.

The whole point of Pirahna Plant is that nobody asked them. It's basically Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt Dog, R.O.B and Mr Game & Watch all over (the latter of two not even being proper characters until around the era of their Smash debut). Bit of tradition really.

Edited by Jotari

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Pirahna Plant is a playable character, movement is no longer an issue.

4 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

There's a playable plant character, I'm pretty sure movement is the least of a seal looking thing's problems

Also thank you for correcting me.

Movement is no longer an issue for PLANTS! 

But in all seriousness, it was still more likely for Incineroar being the wrestler than the other starters~