In light of recent events

Jyosua

As for the new admins...you guys have to keep in mind that these guys are FRIENDLY (THEY DON'T BITE) and only wish to make the place better. That, and these guys have experience with a bigger community and have been long-time FE fans (maybe even longer than you)...so it's a good thing they wish to help out this community! I KNOW they won't abuse their powers so please don't take it as an offense. Trust Jyosua and Vincent...I KNOW they KNOW what they're doing with best intentions.

I'm not saying they will do anything to try and ruin the forum. I'm mainly saying that they're unnecessary as staff members at the moment, especially if you factor in what you said about most FESSers going to The Ashtray anyway. Not to mention that everybody found 5 staff members a lot a couple of weeks ago, and then we eventually got six. And now we have eight? Good job contradicting yourself, staffers. And don't take that as an offense, since it's a simple fact.

Edited by Tino

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying they will do anything to try and ruin the forum. I'm mainly saying that they're unnecessary as staff members at the moment, especially if you factor in what you said about most FESSers going to The Ashtray anyway. Not to mention that everybody found 5 staff members a lot a couple of weeks ago, and then we eventually got six. And now we have eight? Good job contradicting yourself, staffers. And don't take that as an offense, since it's a simple fact.

I must say I'm in complete agreement with Tino on this.

Keep in mind that FESS IS A PRETTY BIG COMMUNITY. So many a good 50 of them will go to Astray. And then a hundred of them will come here. (Most of the people who have joined FESS are simply lurkers who come to read what's on the board. Therefore...more lurkers like myself.)

Keep in mind that FESS IS A PRETTY BIG COMMUNITY. So many a good 50 of them will go to Astray. And then a hundred of them will come here. (Most of the people who have joined FESS are simply lurkers who come to read what's on the board. Therefore...more lurkers like myself.)

There's no way you can be 100% certain. If these people come here like you say, then we can appoint new staff members as necessary, but at this point, they're simply not necessary.

I agree with this.

Since I forgot didn't get a chance to do so in my extremely late-night post, I'd like to thank everybody for the welcomes and such. (I don't want to be rude and neglect everybody.)

I can't speak for Jyosua or Vincent myself, but here are my thoughts on the matters that have been discussed:

I can understand skepticism about having a random new member that most of you don't know too well being promoted to Administrator upon joining. In fact, I can say that I've felt the same way a few times before, myself, looking across some of the sites that I've lurked on. That said, you'll have to trust me in that, while I may not have been an active member of this iteration of the SF community (though, I did have an account on one of the short-lived previous iterations some time ago), I do intend to serve it to the full extent of my ability, like I would any other site.

As for the reasoning behind promoting myself and Musashi, having more staff, while not always a good thing, is a good thing in this case. While there have only been a few members who have registered from FESS so far, it's not always going to be an automatic thing. The "funeral" topic was posted at midnight, Eastern Time, so a large population of the memberbase probably hasn't even seen the topic yet, due to timezone differences, being asleep and not getting home until later today, or other reasons. If the community there truly wants to keep discussions about Fire Emblem going on, they'll eventually work their way over here. And, with that, the total number of users could potentially double. Furthermore, as many of you already know, Vincent and NTG are both 4 or 5 hours ahead of Jyosua (and myself). As it stands, that would leave him being the only person active (of the administration) if something were to arise. This way, he has extra people to turn to. And, it also allows the staff to spread out some and not have to focus on every single board by themselves. This way, (for example) Musashi could concentrate on some of the specific titles in the Fire Emblem boards, while one of the other Moderators (and, I'm sorry that I can't name someone specific, but I haven't gotten to know any of the others as of yet) could focus on the General Forums and the remaining Fire Emblem boards.

As secondary reasoning, Musashi and I both have 2 years of experience in regards to staff duties, dealing with issues on a fairly regular basis. Musashi is an outstanding moderator, someone who I've been proud to work with over that entire time. He knows what he's doing, he's helpful, and his experience will make him a leader in the community and someone that will always make good calls of judgment. (As Superbus marvelously said in his introduction topic, I'm not going to toot my own horn. I'll let what I do talk about me.) Furthermore, in the event that an important discussion would ever arise amongst the staff, having more people putting their ideas, thoughts, reasonings, and comments into the pot is almost always helpful. Sure, there may be dissenting opinions sometimes, but that is to be expected. Not everyone agrees about everything, and having more people giving input allows more understanding across the staff on what people think. One person may know information that someone else doesn't, and thus may bring to light something that no one else had thought of yet.

Well Fox2 kept "assuring" us last night that there isnt alot of you and there would only be like 20 ppl since according to him alot of you guys were inactive and stuff.

I only hope FESS closing down will force Musashi into becoming more active. I'm not against a new moderator, but the choice seems to be greatly biased.

On another note though, congratulations Musashi.

For all intents and purposes Fox is right in that many people weren't active, however, we don't know exactly how many people will come to SF as a result of FESS closing. Many on there didn't post due to stagnation.

For all intents and purposes Fox is right in that many people weren't active, however, we don't know exactly how many people will come to SF as a result of FESS closing. Many on there didn't post due to stagnation.

hm. well im not one for insanely large communities full of so.........im will be more at peace the less ppl who come.

Can't say I'm looking forward to more members...I came here because it was small...

But congrats to Lord Glenn and Musashi. :)

I won't respond to Lord Glenn's post yet, since I gotta go, but I can say to this that you can't prevent small forums with a lot of potential from growing, and due to the Serenes Forest mainsite, the forum has a lot of potential.

I have nothing against Lord Glenn or Musashi. In fact, I see Musashi as a friend of mine. But not long ago we were saying we need no one else in the staff, and we suddenly are adding more and more. We didn't need any back when it was me, Hanz, and Arc, with Vincent on occassionally. We didn't need any when Jyo and NTG came back. We may not need any for quite some time. But the sudden choice of this seems rash and biased to me.

Well Fox2 kept "assuring" us last night that there isnt alot of you and there would only be like 20 ppl since according to him alot of you guys were inactive and stuff.

I don't think the numbers will be anywhere near one hundred people. Again, as I mentioned last night, out of the small number of FESSers who are currently active, a lot of them are already here. Just remember, FESSers have been coming here since before the announcement, and this isn't all that different. You guys welcomed me here, please extend that same courtesy to the incoming FESSers.

Doesnt this mean Lord Glen will be able to see all of our SE stuff?

It probably does. I haven't looked at the Administrator group's permissions, but I would assume that it can see every individual board.

If you're worried about disclosing secret information or something, don't be. While I do dabble (slightly) in editing FE stuff (moreso graphical stuff), it's the site's project, and one that was started long before I joined. As such, I don't really have much of a reason to drop into the boards, unless I happen to see something in the main board that strikes my interest or if a post were to get reported or something along those lines.

You're acting as if we're small, but we have many active members, as well as quite a few less active members. However, I do not think that's reason enough to just appoint two new staff members.

For what it's worth, the increase in staff members seems completely as if it were a precaution. While no, I don't see the forum doubling by any means, a 50% increase would probably warrant two additional staff members, and simply having names they can recognize can't hurt.

I imagine that if the demotion of Metal Arc had not come, Wist may have not been appointed and these two may have instead. But that's neither here nor there.

While no, I don't think it will be needed in the long run, sometimes you can't just let shit happen.

You also have to consider the potential for people who don't like FESS and are petty enough to harass it's once population when the news fully spreads.

Well,I'm sure that Vincent and Jyosua would not appoint lord glenn if he was not capable,so I welcome you and wish you good luck.And Musashi,you've been active here for a while,I'm sure I can trust you.

Well, to all the new members, welcome aboard. :P

If any of you are interested, we have an irc chat room which is run by me and a few others.

Server: irc.darkmyst.org

channel: #serenes_forest

The rules to the irc chat are in a link in my sig, they're pretty reasonable i think. :P