New Heroes: Fire and Ice!

Vaximillian

10 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Sure, but would people be in an uproar if characters like Haar, Jill, Louise, Charlotte, etc. were to get added next year despite not being in the top 20 of their gender? I'm pretty sure a banner of alts of the most popular characters in CYL3 that weren't Brave Heroes would be less satisfactory. I sure don't want two full alt banners related to CYL. 

The original banner hadn't to deal with that problem because CYL1 still had several characters in the Top 40 that weren't already in the game (the four winners). Brave Redux's succesor will need to change the rules to avoid this kind of weird situations again xD.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Troykv said:

The original banner hadn't to deal with that problem because CYL1 still had several characters in the Top 40 that weren't already in the game (the four winners). Brave Redux's succesor will need to change the rules to avoid this kind of weird situations again xD.

But is that an actual rule or you just think it would be weird to have characters not on the immediate front page? Like Baldrick mentioned, Aversa herself wasn't on the front page. 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

But is that an actual rule or you just think it would be weird to have characters not on the immediate front page? Like Baldrick mentioned, Aversa herself wasn't on the front page. 

I don't think is a hard rule persey; but it would look bad to put a character that isn't easy to view.

And Aversa can ended up stretching this anyway; she is the Free Unit after all; she isn't part of the public image of Brave Redux.

2 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

Plus two sets of GHBs and TT characters to balance it out right?

But for real, if they do an Alm/Celica's Army type thing, I wouldn't mind this continuing for the same reason those were way better than Blazing Shadows. I just really hope they don't drop it to 2 and not makeup the other characters somewhere else. How fast they're adding characters already feels glacial.

@Ice Dragon Are you calculating chances of a color to appear per orb as (color pool size/total pool size) + focus percent or is there more to it that I'm missing? Just asking out of curiosity.

It feels like forever since we had a "normal" banner.  Has it been what, two months since we got the Silas Banner?

This is the most amazing banner we've had in ages! Only two characters, meaning less units to collect with much higher odds of getting them? I'll take that over a four unit banner (especially with three of them being alts) any day! I had been debating ending my collecting ways come book three if book three didn't give us some treats that offer a bit more leeway for those of us that do (to whom they owe much for being one of their main categories of spnders), but if two character banners can happen more often (Or even better, one character banners!) then it'll feel like just the thing needed to keep me going! lol

Edited by Namero

1 hour ago, Baldrick said:

Why stop at two? One unit banners would give even better odds. You could even rotate them daily, doing away with the free pull to keep it from being overly generous.

I would gladly take that.

1 hour ago, Baldrick said:

Just keep New Heroes banners with as many units as possible.

I completely agree. I don't even want to imagine the Binding Blade fans finally getting their banner, with only two units, Roy and Lilina.

1 hour ago, Lewyn said:

Yeah essentially the characters from other games are like spotpass characters, they are side characters that have nothing to do with the story (except Xander I guess).  

I just think there is a lot to be excited about here.

2 very powerful units with very powerful (new) skills, only our 2nd blue dagger user, no alts on banner, original characters.  Then likely GHB will be original character and legendary too, meaning Forging bonds will focus on these characters.  This could mean OG Veronica, Bruno, Hrid!  We also got very little on Surtr and Ylgr so this will be a chance to really flesh out those characters more learn about their motivations and in essence make the main story better as well. 

I agree. I'm looking forward to seeing what we're getting.

Plus, I keep hearing that a 2 unit banner means a somewhat better chance of getting the Focus units, so I'm even more happy. Of course, with my kind of luck, who knows. :D

1 hour ago, Troykv said:

I don't think is a hard rule persey; but it would look bad to put a character that isn't easy to view.

And Aversa can ended up stretching this anyway; she is the Free Unit after all; she isn't part of the public image of Brave Redux.

I don't think IS cares about reputation based on the dislikes of their banners. 

I was rather disappointed at first- the two person banner was scary, because I don't want to see us ever at a point where we only get two new heroes.  The better odds are great, but if I only get one Tellius banner a year, I certainly want to get more than two new heroes!

As long as the two person banner doesn't become a thing for new heroes from the older games, I'll be okay with this XD

14 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

It amuses me to imagine a room of Japanese businessmen and devs at IS HQ going "oh shit" at the string of negatively-rated videos lately. Even if it's actually just a vocal minority and not impacting their sales much, it's still bad PR for the sake of continuing to draw new players if they see so much negativity surrounding the game.(especially people with no FE attachment who just want a new phone game, since that's an important demographic too)

2 hours ago, Troykv said:

I think the fandom often makes the mistake of assuming something is a rule, or a pattern, or a priority of IS without anything substantial to back their claims.

The 1st Farfetched Heroes banner featured the 4 most popular non-lord characters still not in the game, all of them in their base class and the 4th in popularity (Joshua) was given away for free. Brave Redux worked the same way, the 4 most popular non-lord characters were in, with the least popular of the four (Aversa) given for free.

The fact that being at least in the top 40 matters is a conjecture without even a single bit of evidence, besides what you subjectively think would make sense from a business point of view.

And you said that putting Owain from Awakening was a "desperate choice", "bending the rules" and whatnot, when there's the easy explanation that Owain and Odin count as separate characters (why do you think dancer Inigo counted as an alt of Inigo and not Laslow?) and since the base version (or even the alt version) of Owain, didn't exist in the game, they put him on the banner, the same way as they would have put Haar if he scored higher than Owain. 

Seriously, if IS really worked the way you think they work, what would they have done if no character missing from the game ended up in the tip 60?

There are more reasonable things we can infer from how they handled the Brave Redux banner. Selkie was ignored and she isn't a lord, which probably means that putting the Farfetched characters in their base class is something they actually value above all else, and since beast stones aren't in the game, they had to pass on the big money maker that is Selkie, instead of giving her an axe or something. The other strange exception to their own rules we have to speculate on is actually why they ignored Veronica.

Technically Veronica placed higher than Aversa, and she isn't in the game in her normal form, since Horse Veronica is an alt. This can mean one of two things. Either she counts as some sort of lord character like Micaiah, or Leif, in the sense that she was the FACE of the app before Fjorm, which means MAIN CHARACTER, which means excluded from Farfetched stuff.

Or, she doesn't count as a pseudo lord, and the reasoning of IS was that since she won CYL people wouldn't have wanted two Veronicas in such a short time. Meaning that if she placed outside the top 2, we might have really gotten Veronica, Loki, Kliff, Owain. I can buy IS making an exception for this reason, and not for the silly "outside top 60 is too low, when there are 700 partecipants" reason.

Edited by GrandeRampel

So, with Surtr and Ylgr as part of the summoning pool, that leaves Bruno and Veronica as the only OCs that aren’t in the summoning pool yet. I’ll take a wild guess and say that those 2 will be in the non-seasonal December banner to completely wrap things up with Book 2 IF neither one is the next GHB, 

Edited by Lord-Zero

8 minutes ago, Lord-Zero said:

So, with Surtr and Ylgr as part of the summoning pool, that leaves Bruno and Veronica as the only OCs that aren’t in the summoning pool yet. I’ll take a wild guess and say that those 2 will be in the non-seasonal December banner to completely wrap things up with Book 2 IF neither one is the next GHB, 

Did you forget about Hrid?  It's okay, so did IS.

IS Dev lead: Hey did you remember to remove the broken AoE effect from Surtr's weapon before putting him on the banner?
IS Dev member: Do what now?

Edited by Rezzy

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Tell that to anyone who wanted Owain or wants Severa in the game or wants Inigo to get a normal version.

And if you consider Owain and Odin to be the same character, then do you consider each Anna to be a different character from the others and therefore ineligible for merging votes?

First, Owain & Odin are the same character. Is there anybody actually saying they're not? I don't see that. The source material says they are the same, and I don't see people contravening that.

Second, I already stated my position on getting both variants of Owain & Severa, etc. I don't think fans of these characters would have a problem with my position, since I'm perfectly fine with having different forms of the same character get in.

Third, it appears you missed the thrust of the argument. You just made up some rules for the Brave Redux banner and then expected suggestions for it to conform to those made-up rules. My point was those rules you suggested had inherent problems, and there's no reason either we or Nintendo should be expected to conform to them. Why couldn't the Brave Redux banner have featured Haar or Charlotte instead of Loki? Why not Severa? Or why not RD Mia, who was #31? Why can't we ask for Selkie?

2 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I see no reason why IS can't add characters far from the top 20 if all the higher ranking characters have already been added.  

Me neither.

2 hours ago, Baldrick said:

By my count, Aversa was the 23rd female, so they have already broken that rule anyway. Unlike Brave Heroes, Farfetched Heroes didn't have any strict guidelines regarding what ranking characters were to be added.

Yeah, there were never any strict guidelines for Farfetched Heroes or Brave Redux. They had the liberty to select another character, they just didn't.

7 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

It amuses me to imagine a room of Japanese businessmen and devs at IS HQ going "oh shit" at the string of negatively-rated videos lately. Even if it's actually just a vocal minority and not impacting their sales much, it's still bad PR for the sake of continuing to draw new players if they see so much negativity surrounding the game.(especially people with no FE attachment who just want a new phone game, since that's an important demographic too)

I think this will be totally offset by the start of Book III, so I doubt they're worried. They probably knew this would be bad -- indeed, it could even be a marketing ploy. They could be prepping the spotlight? At least, I hope that's the case. Get some media attention -- good or bad -- then announce Book III and run the trailer. Of course, I could be wrong, and IS is just off the rails at this point.

5 minutes ago, Astellius said:

First, Owain & Odin are the same character. Is there anybody actually saying they're not? I don't see that. The source material says they are the same, and I don't see people contravening that.

Second, I already stated my position on getting both variants of Owain & Severa, etc. I don't think fans of these characters would have a problem with my position, since I'm perfectly fine with having different forms of the same character get in.

Third, it appears you missed the thrust of the argument. You just made up some rules for the Brave Redux banner and then expected suggestions for it to conform to those made-up rules. My point was those rules you suggested had inherent problems, and there's no reason either we or Nintendo should be expected to conform to them. Why couldn't the Brave Redux banner have featured Haar or Charlotte instead of Loki? Why not Severa? Or why not RD Mia, who was #31? Why can't we ask for Selkie?

Me neither.

Yeah, there were never any strict guidelines for Farfetched Heroes or Brave Redux. They had the liberty to select another character, they just didn't.

I think this will be totally offset by the start of Book III, so I doubt they're worried. They probably knew this would be bad -- indeed, it could even be a marketing ploy. They could be prepping the spotlight? At least, I hope that's the case. Get some media attention -- good or bad -- then announce Book III and run the trailer. Of course, I could be wrong, and IS is just off the rails at this point.

Them announcing when the Binding Blade and Radiant Dawn banner were finally going to come was probably in preparation for the backlash they knew they were going to get for the recent banners.

It's also been over a year since the last PoR banner.

19 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

My bet's still on him as the next GHB, or he's somehow still part of the story so he doesn't get to be thrown into the "book 2 cleanup" they're doing.

I'd say it's a positive for anyone who wanted him if he's actually a freebie, especially when we know merges are a thing now. Maybe lolis and whale armors sell better than a pretty boy sword unit so he didn't make the cut to actually be on the banner. (if so, it feels similar to how Groom Marth got TT'd while we got Bride Sanaki)

English Ylgr sounds loopy sort of like Setsuna if Setsuna was less derpy. It was probably mentioned already maybe here or somewhere else, but apparently her voice files were in the game back in May when the Bridal Bloom updated was up. By version 2.6.0, so month after, they were removed. Maybe she was supposed to have been made summonable around then or they somehow screwed up that badly. The video wasn't uploaded until September, though.

Warning: Obvious spoilers that you can just wait a couple hours when this banner goes live to hear her voice clips from some other source or if you somehow manage to summon her, so you can listen to them in-game.

Edited by Kaden

8 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Them announcing when the Binding Blade and Radiant Dawn banner were finally going to come was probably in preparation for the backlash they knew they were going to get for the recent banners.

It's also been over a year since the last PoR banner.

I agree. It also serves to placate the fans that otherwise would be crying for Binding Blade & Radiant Dawn characters during the release period of Book III. To those fans, they can say, characters are on the way!

But the timing of those banners... just wow, it shows they weren't even in the works.

2 minutes ago, Astellius said:

I agree. It also serves to placate the fans that otherwise would be crying for Binding Blade & Radiant Dawn characters during the release period of Book III. To those fans, they can say, characters are on the way!

But the timing of those banners... just wow, it shows they weren't even in the works.

And they has done so well for a couple banners, with either multiple guys in a banner or at least zero alts, but then we're three steps back again.

2 hours ago, Icelerate said:

You seem to think development companies are actually capable of reacting quickly.

It's one thing just to get management on board to alter course and it's another thing whether it's actually feasible to do so on a particular time scale, like getting art assets or scheduling voice work in two languages.

1 hour ago, GrandeRampel said:

Or, she doesn't count as a pseudo lord, and the reasoning of IS was that since she won CYL people wouldn't have wanted two Veronicas in such a short time. Meaning that if she placed outside the top 2, we might have really gotten Veronica, Loki, Kliff, Owain. I can buy IS making an exception for this reason, and not for the silly "outside top 60 is too low, when there are 700 partecipants" reason.

This is the simpler and more likely situation. It's kind of plain to see why the actual CYL winners would be disqualified from being included in a Farfetched Heroes banner.

1 hour ago, Rezzy said:
Why do they release the most broken armor unit right after making the Bold Fighter nerf skill?
56 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

IS Dev lead: Hey did you remember to remove the broken AoE effect from Surtr's weapon before putting him on the banner?

IS Dev member: Do what now?

Honestly, since when have any Threaten-type skills actually been threatening?

Where was this sense of dread when Threaten Spd was released as a Sacred Seal? When Eckesachs received its refined base skill?

Sinmara's effect is really only good for turtling or babysitting and only against melee-ranged non-cavalry opponents.

In the AI's hands, Sinmara is only good if you're running a purely enemy-phase team. Last I checked, most players don't run enemy-phase teams because they're still expensive as hell to build.

56 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

The fact that he isn't here means they're probably saving him for something later, like a Grand Hero Battle, Legendary Hero, Book 3 free character or whatnot.

Micaiah out-performed all of the characters on the Farfetched Heroes banner, but it was clear that she was needed to be a thematic centerpiece for a later Radiant Dawn banner, meaning the second- and third-placed female characters not yet in the game were chosen instead of her.

Edited by Ice Dragon

15 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Micaiah out-performed all of the characters on the Farfetched Heroes banner, but it was clear that she was needed to be a thematic centerpiece for a later Radiant Dawn banner, meaning the second- and third-placed female characters not yet in the game were chosen instead of her.

I guess they couldn't have just used her anyway. Then it'd be just Sothe and Zelgius on the banner, and a 2-unit banner would never happen in the entire lifetime of Heroes.