SF's "Write Your Butt Off" Competition HD II.5 Remix

AnonymousSpeed

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

It's a Macbeth reference also. Three witches are making a potion while saying, "Bubble Bubble, toil and trouble."

Also, my story is a testament to why you should do math in math class instead of cringe-worthy holiday stories.

Oh! I was thinking I'd heard a saying like that somewhere, but couldn't think of where.

And I see. lol

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

@AnonymousSpeed WHAT THE EVERLIVING HECK DID I JUST LISTEN TO?!?!?!

Solid gold, my friend. It is my gift to all of you this holiday season, to spread to you the good culture.

4 hours ago, Benice said:

Also, my story is a testament to why you should do math in math class instead of cringe-worthy holiday stories.

You could at leave as proofread it during Chemistry or something.

@AnonymousSpeedIn my story I was considering adding the line, "Before you could say Lamp oil, rope, bombs, Morshu was knocked overboard," but it didn't line up with the Morshu character I had built up.

Edited by Benice

Merry Christmas back! 🙂

Still a three way tie? Dang. Well, in the case that this crazy tie stands the whole way through, even though I do have a prompt in mind, I'm willing to discuss with the other two people who got votes.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Also, since there are five entries, shouldn't there be five votes?

You'd think, but some people don't vote right away or don't know which to vote for.

I haven't voted because I don't know which I'd vote for at present. xP

1 hour ago, Azure, Roundabouted Out said:

Looks like I created a 4-way tie now.

Not that I realized it would happen, @TheSilentChloey’s was just my favorite. It was close between hers and @Anacybele’s.

Make it a 5-way. I'm so sorry, but I just decided I liked Benice's plot so much it took the cake! Again, I'm so sorry! xP

But hey, it means we all got a vote, right? lol Hey, I'm glad mine was liked a lot though. 🙂

Edited by Anacybele

On 12/23/2019 at 9:34 AM, Anacybele said:

@SoulWeaver I'm confused at some of these character names. Why is one named Trouble? That's just...weird. Toil and Bubble are odd too imo. Also, I'm confused at the setting and stuff here. What kind of creature IS Trouble? What's Mystcroft and Mogloween (besides being something akin to Halloween)? There's just not enough info here imo. But I really like the reference to The Nightmare Before Christmas, such a great film. Also the song lyrics at the end are a nice touch! I'm not religious at all and so I can't really say much on the religious aspects, but they do make sense because as pointed out, Christmas is a Christian holiday. I simply still celebrate it out of family tradition and the joy of giving gifts to others (and decorating too I guess. XD).

In this instance, the details behind those questions I deemed unnecessary for the story because they're kind of extra padding - ultimately, the piece is specifically about the explanation of what Christmas means to Arilon. I used Trouble because she doesn't know about Christmas, her world celebrates Frostval, which is basically the same thing but without Christ, who I see as the focal point of Christmas and thus the difference between worlds. I could have used pretty much anyone not Christian for this piece, like an FE character, and substituted Frostval for the Winter Festival, but I chose Trouble. If you really want the full story as to why, I'll put it in a spoiler here.

Spoiler

Trouble is the girl in the top spoiler in my signature on here. She and her sisters are from the world of Lore, which is the setting for multiple games done by Artix Entertainment - the pic I mentioned is from AdventureQuest Worlds, probably their most successful game. I chose to use her for a couple reasons.
First, she's probably my favorite female character across all the online games I've played, despite being a seasonal NPC with very little screentime or dialogue, though I can't tell you why as I don't really know.
Second, Halloween is my favorite holiday if you're not looking at holidays from a religious perspective, and Trouble is a seasonal character from the town of Mystcroft, which only appears during October until Mogloween(Oct. 31), at which point the entire town vanishes into the mists for another year. Basically, think Halloween Town parody, AE games do a lot of parodying. Mogloween is the one event in AQW I make sure I never miss, so it also served as kind of an homage to my favorite non-religious holiday.
Lastly, since Trouble is a Halloween character, it let me make a Nightmare Before Christmas reference, I'm basically never going to pass up a chance to make a Nightmare Before Christmas reference. For anyone who didn't catch it, the song Arilon mentions is specifically Jack's Obsession, called to his mind by Trouble's talk of a Halloween Tree thanks to the ending lines "Not anyone in fact, but me, why I could make a Christmas Tree! And there's no reason I can find, I couldn't have a Christmas time! I bet I could improve it too, and that's exactly, what, I'll, do!" Basically, Arilon's slightly concerned that The Cauldron Sisters might make those next two logical steps Jack also made after the Tree idea, hence his explanation of the idea of Valentine's Day taking over Halloween to discourage Trouble from taking things too far.

To answer your second question, as far as I can tell, Trouble is probably a Succubus or Vampire based on the headwings, her dress style, and a quote from her sister Bubble saying her favorite kind of candy is gummies, I lean more towards the vampire because of her dress style as a succubus probably would be wearing something a little more revealing. Her sister Toil seems to be a generic Witch, and Bubble is a Gorgon, though without the whole turn-you-to-stone thing. Bubble has a twin sister, also named Bubble, who is a cat. It's never once been explained why she's a cat, and when asked about why they're both named Bubble, Toil responds with 'Our parents weren't the most creative people' though I assume it was supposed to further the Macbeth reference.

I probably should have done a little more explanation within the piece, but as I explained in the post-read notes I wrote the thing in two stages, both at around 2AM during the final week, so I was mostly concerned with having something to offer on time as opposed to having a better piece that missed the deadline by less than 24 hours, like back in Round 13.

On 12/23/2019 at 10:13 AM, Benice said:

It's a Macbeth reference also. Three witches are making a potion while saying, "Bubble Bubble, toil and trouble."

Not quite - the line is actually 'Double, double, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble' but it gets misquoted a lot because the misquote sounds better.
Your story was fine, it just needed to be proofread quick to catch the grammar mistakes. Had it been properly edited it would have beat the Star Wars one for me.

Edited by SoulWeaver
Somehow managed to miss the Round Number lol

5 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

In this instance, the details behind those questions I deemed unnecessary for the story because they're kind of extra padding - ultimately, the piece is specifically about the explanation of what Christmas means to Arilon. I used Trouble because she doesn't know about Christmas, her world celebrates Frostval, which is basically the same thing but without Christ, who I see as the focal point of Christmas and thus the difference between worlds. I could have used pretty much anyone not Christian for this piece, like an FE character, and substituted Frostval for the Winter Festival, but I chose Trouble. If you really want the full story as to why, I'll put it in a spoiler here.

Hide contents

Trouble is the girl in the top spoiler in my signature on here. She and her sisters are from the world of Lore, which is the setting for multiple games done by Artix Entertainment - the pic I mentioned is from AdventureQuest Worlds, probably their most successful game. I chose to use her for a couple reasons.
First, she's probably my favorite female character across all the online games I've played, despite being a seasonal NPC with very little screentime or dialogue, though I can't tell you why as I don't really know.
Second, Halloween is my favorite holiday if you're not looking at holidays from a religious perspective, and Trouble is a seasonal character from the town of Mystcroft, which only appears during October until Mogloween(Oct. 31), at which point the entire town vanishes into the mists for another year. Basically, think Halloween Town parody, AE games do a lot of parodying. Mogloween is the one event in AQW I make sure I never miss, so it also served as kind of an homage to my favorite non-religious holiday.
Lastly, since Trouble is a Halloween character, it let me make a Nightmare Before Christmas reference, I'm basically never going to pass up a chance to make a Nightmare Before Christmas reference. For anyone who didn't catch it, the song Arilon mentions is specifically Jack's Obsession, called to his mind by Trouble's talk of a Halloween Tree thanks to the ending lines "Not anyone in fact, but me, why I could make a Christmas Tree! And there's no reason I can find, I couldn't have a Christmas time! I bet I could improve it too, and that's exactly, what, I'll, do!" Basically, Arilon's slightly concerned that The Cauldron Sisters might make those next two logical steps Jack also made after the Tree idea, hence his explanation of the idea of Valentine's Day taking over Halloween to discourage Trouble from taking things too far.

To answer your second question, as far as I can tell, Trouble is probably a Succubus or Vampire based on the headwings, her dress style, and a quote from her sister Bubble saying her favorite kind of candy is gummies, I lean more towards the vampire because of her dress style as a succubus probably would be wearing something a little more revealing. Her sister Toil seems to be a generic Witch, and Bubble is a Gorgon, though without the whole turn-you-to-stone thing. Bubble has a twin sister, also named Bubble, who is a cat. It's never once been explained why she's a cat, and when asked about why they're both named Bubble, Toil responds with 'Our parents weren't the most creative people' though I assume it was supposed to further the Macbeth reference.

I probably should have done a little more explanation within the piece, but as I explained in the post-read notes I wrote the thing in two stages, both at around 2AM during the final week, so I was mostly concerned with having something to offer on time as opposed to having a better piece that missed the deadline by less than 24 hours, like back in Round

Yeah, I suppose that stuff would've just been extra padding. I can understand there. But I do appreciate you giving me the explanation here, so thanks for that. I see now. Interesting stuff, kinda.

17 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I suppose that stuff would've just been extra padding. I can understand there. But I do appreciate you giving me the explanation here, so thanks for that. I see now. Interesting stuff, kinda.

I mean, you're not wrong, I definitely could have made more of an effort to make sure things were properly explained - what Trouble is could have been added in the line involving the tree, if I just changed 'Trouble looked the tree over' to 'The vampire looked the tree over' and Mystcroft could have easily been clarified as her hometown if I'd been paying attention, just again, it was 2 in the morning so I wasn't exactly in the best state to carefully arrange things.

Incidentally, this was also kind of me adding an entry in relation to the Heads side of last prompt, since I flipped Tails and had to write about knocking someone off. If you go back and read the bit about mistletoe with that info, it should give you a hint as to what's in Arilon's pocket and what he needed mistletoe for...

Edited by SoulWeaver
additional note

39 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I mean, you're not wrong, I definitely could have made more of an effort to make sure things were properly explained - what Trouble is could have been added in the line involving the tree, if I just changed 'Trouble looked the tree over' to 'The vampire looked the tree over' and Mystcroft could have easily been clarified as her hometown if I'd been paying attention, just again, it was 2 in the morning so I wasn't exactly in the best state to carefully arrange things.

Incidentally, this was also kind of me adding an entry in relation to the Heads side of last prompt, since I flipped Tails and had to write about knocking someone off. If you go back and read the bit about mistletoe with that info, it should give you a hint as to what's in Arilon's pocket and what he needed mistletoe for...

Yeah, I see. Don't worry, it's no big deal. 😛

It's a five way tie!

All the entries were super fun to read, and it's good to see that everyone's getting the support they deserve!

Edited by Benice

19 minutes ago, Benice said:

It's a five way tie!source.gif.6c2e077c36522cef6e90e2c19c48edc2.gif

All the entries were super fun to read, and it's good to see that everyone's getting the support they deserve!

Yeah, and for a Christmas theme too at that. A present for all!

I hate to sound impatient here, but, ah, could some critique come soon? I'm still the only one that's done so. Again though, I'm not trying to rush anyone. Just really wondering when/if anyone else plans to critique, basically.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and for a Christmas theme too at that. A present for all!

I hate to sound impatient here, but, ah, could some critique come soon? I'm still the only one that's done so. Again though, I'm not trying to rush anyone. Just really wondering when/if anyone else plans to critique, basically.

At present I'm in 40+°C so not happening until things cool down.

10 hours ago, Benice said:

It's a five way tie!source.gif.6c2e077c36522cef6e90e2c19c48edc2.gif

Really, no good culture has come out of the world since Supa Hot Fire disappeared.

Dang though, this is one interesting tie to behold. Thankfully, I reserve my vote for just such purposes. If the tie persists through tomorrow, I'll cast a ballot.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

This voting round ends soon, guys. Not much more time left for critique. Just saying.

I don't usually give feedback because I have a tendency to suggest things that people don't find helpful

13 minutes ago, Benice said:

I don't usually give feedback because I have a tendency to suggest things that people don't find helpful

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean your input is wrong or not worth saying.

I mean, I'm an Armond White fan, so popular consensus isn't exactly my standard for usefulness.

Well, looks like this tie is still going to persist and Anon hasn't cast his vote yet. I still have that prompt idea in mind that I mentioned before if anyone's interested in hearing it, but I'm also open to anyone else's ideas since, well, this IS a tie between literally everybody that entered. lol

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Well, looks like this tie is still going to persist and Anon hasn't cast his vote yet.

Hey now, I still got an hour! Yours is actually the last entry I need to read, though I still might not be able to decide on a winner.