Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

37 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Eclipse, the dark magic siege tome which in this game has ten goddamned hit.

For some reason I thought you were referencing the Berserk Eclipse.

Why my mind went to Berserk even though I've never read/seen it I have no idea.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Binding Blade Day 24: Chapter 17B, Take 2

Well, thank goodness I didn't reset. Apparently, according to you guys, all that that ridiculously hard-to-get village has is an Eclipse. Yeah, I think I'm keeping my +Spd/Def Milady level up, thank you very much.

Ooh, and Allen got a +Spd/Def level up too, throwing in HP!

Perceval didn't get speed, but he got strength, skill and defense!

Yeah, I'm not resetting for that eclipse tome.

What I will need to do, however, is fix the frankly embarrassing oversight that I somehow sent all three of my healers east to back up Milady. Clarine's riding south with Rutger now before my paladins' tankiness ceases to be enough to keep them alive.

Okay, so judging by the outfit of the guy who greets me in the southern village, the villagers here are clearly Sacaean, which makes me suspect we are indeed in Sacae already. Which makes these totally-like-everywhere-else buildings really weird.

Ooh! We got Tina's staff!? Sweet! Is it the thief staff!? It has to be! We already have unlock!

...I kid. It's just a 30 use staff that doesn't even say what it does. But according to the wiki, it's magic +15 healing, so right between a heal and mend staff. Well, that is appreciated, since we're running a little low on healing staves. Still plenty of total healing uses, but with 3 healers, Clarine was about to run out of her heal staff and have to resort to recover.

Alright, so, this support between Roy and Lalum was kinda cute. I dunno why, but whenever her portrait gets ridiculously up close to Roy's, I find it absolutely priceless. But I dunno, there's only so much I can get out of the “girl who's frustrated by a guy who can't take her hints” trope. If you're that fucking annoyed, girl, just say you like him! Guys aren't psychic! Not to mention the social price for a false positive can often be embarrassing at best, and nasty at worst...

...So, I'm shopping now, and... what the fuck is so special about the short bow!? It's a fucking slim lance in bow form with 10 crit! Why is it more expensive than a fucking silver bow!? It's 160 gold more expensive (without the silver card), and only has 2 more uses!

Weird. Some of these thieves aren't ambush spawns. Why on Earth is this game not consistent about how reinforcements work?

Alright, I got Echidna and Lalum's C support too, and Lalum starts talking about her cooking that I have to assume is terrible going by Echidna's initial reaction, and Lalum mentions something about stamina before being cut off. I have to ask... why have I heard so much talk from Japanese fiction about dishes that “boost stamina”? Is that a Japanese thing? I don't think I've ever heard the word “stamina” associated with cooking literally anywhere but Japanese properties.

OH MY GOD. So Lalum apparently burnt an entire house down while making her terrible food!? Okay, that is some next level cooking incompetence. I love it.

Wait... I could've sworn my units could see 5 into the fog of war before... but now it's only 3, and thieves can't see 10 anymore either. It's only 9 for Astore, and that's with a torch at some level still applied to him. Does darkness have a bigger sight penalty than fog? Come to think of it, was that the case with the sandstorm too? Aw, but I liked the more lenient fog distance from before! Maybe that contributed to why the desert was so annoying...

Milady gains HP, Strength, Skill, Speed and Defense, even more thoroughly cementing her status as my best unit and allowing her to double the boss!

Shin gets the kill though. He capped strength shortly after promoting, so he just gains skill and speed, which are really all he needs much of. Yeah, aside from the postgame shit I've done with Awakening snipers, Shin is the best bow fighter I've ever had who didn't have crazy gaiden range.

Alright, so, we're done with the map. And now we get some backstory on Zephiel. Apparently it's a shock to Roy that he killed his own father. Honestly, if his father wasn't originally intended to be evil... yeah, I think that was a great idea on FE7's part to make Desmond that massive scumbag. Giving Zephiel a personal, visceral reason to see how rotten “humanity” can be really makes his otherwise shallow motivations in this game pretty understandable.

It is curious, in a plothole sense, that Merlinus isn't aware of the rumors that went flying around the country around the same time, rumors that Zephiel died because he faked-

...No, wait, this whole “faked his down death to assassinate his father by leaping out of his own coffin at the funeral” idea... that happens after the timeline of Fire Emblem 7, so if that existed, it had to have been something FE6 already came up with. So yeah, it sounds like Zephiel's father was always intended to be a scumbag.

Well, if the Sacae path is particularly infamous in this game... I've got the feeling it isn't for this map. I don't know what's in store for me, but aside from that idiotic nonsense with the eclipse tome village, this map was pretty straightforward. Especially now that Milady has a Delphi Shield and can basically go wherever she wants in the darkness.

Well, I've got stuff to do today, so thankfully this map didn't take very long. See you guys tomorrow!

Edited by Alastor15243

20 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Shin gets the kill though. He capped strength shortly after promoting, so he just gains skill and speed, which are really all he needs much of. Yeah, aside from the postgame shit I've done with Awakening snipers, Shin is the best bow fighter I've ever had who didn't have crazy gaiden range.

Even with the crazy Gaiden range I'd still say Shin is probably better than any archer in the series (unless we count Alm as an Archer). The five range is all well and good, but when you're inaccurate and not dealing all that much damage it isn't really that great. Shin just outright delivers when it comes to killing things. Hell his great movement from base almost gives him as much coverage as a non Tier 3 archer anyway.

Edited by Jotari

14 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Well, if the Sacae path is particularly infamous in this game... I've got the feeling it isn't for this map. I don't know what's in store for me, but aside from that idiotic nonsense with the eclipse tome village, this map was pretty straightforward. Especially now that Milady has a Delphi Shield and can basically go wherever she wants in the darkness.

20XB hoo boy

I could be wrong but I also have memories that

Spoiler

18B has mountains of same turn reinforcement nonsense. 

Spoilers because I don't want to ruin the possible surprise. 

14 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Alright, so, we're done with the map. And now we get some backstory on Zephiel. Apparently it's a shock to Roy that he killed his own father. Honestly, if his father wasn't originally intended to be evil... yeah, I think that was a great idea on FE7's part to make Desmond that massive scumbag. Giving Zephiel a personal, visceral reason to see how rotten “humanity” can be really makes his otherwise shallow motivations in this game pretty understandable.

It is curious, in a plothole sense, that Merlinus isn't aware of the rumors that went flying around the country around the same time, rumors that Zephiel died because he faked-

...No, wait, this whole “faked his down death to assassinate his father by leaping out of his own coffin at the funeral” idea... that happens after the timeline of Fire Emblem 7, so if that existed, it had to have been something FE6 already came up with. So yeah, it sounds like Zephiel's father was always intended to be a scumbag.

Without any spoilers, Desmond is surprisingly well defined here.

Binding Blade Day 25: Chapter 18B

Right, so, this confirms it, we're crossing the border now. That explains the strange-for-Sacae architecture last chapter.

Oh dear. This map is... disgustingly open. With all the plains and cavalry, you'd think this was an Awakening map. And it also doesn't seem like there's any reason to rush it. No villages, no gaiden chapter time limit, nothing. So honestly, I'm just gonna deploy my usuals, with the new addition of Fae since I have a 15th deployment slot now and I'd love to use her, send Rutger to guard the bridge in front of me and then see what the enemy does.

So Monke is talking to this generic faceless soldier like he's a member of Djute clan and not a representative of bern. It feels weird they wouldn't use a Sacaean sprite for this.

That's... okay what? The Djute clan has sided with Bern out of fear of an invasion from Etruria? Didn't Bern invade Sacae and slaughter tons of Sacaean people? Isn't that Rutger's whole backstory?

...Yes, they mention that too. What was with that Etruria comment then?

Okay, so looks like eventually we'll hear more about Zephiel from Guinivere. Looking forward to it. But for now...

...Okay, I really don't like this player phase music. It feels way more like enemy phase music than player phase music. And that's not always a bad thing (hearing Murderous Puppets on player phase in “Death's Embrace” was absolutely amazing), but here... yeah, this doesn't sound like something I should be hearing on player phase.

Ooh! This shop sells physics! I'll have to buy several of those! They're really useful, and pacing the only one I've gotten so far hasn't been fun.

I restarted a few times due to forgetting a few things in preparation and then realizing I hadn't saved before starting the first time and having to redo the initial prep stuff too.

Due to all the cool shit I'm gonna wanna buy here, I'm gonna sell the light brand (it's more valuable than it is useful), blue gem, and that extra elysian whip I bought. I don't think I'll be promoting both Zeiss and Tate after all.

I went and bought 3 physic staves. That should be more than enough for the rest of the game as long as I only use them when it's actually useful to.

Okay, this is going pretty well. Milady, rushing out ahead, has managed to attract those wyverns before they could get any funny ideas about breaking my blockade, and some physic use and rescue-chaining back to safety behind the river has kept her healthy despite the mages and the strong wyvern lord.

...BUT I COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT NOMADIC TROOPERS CAN CROSS RIVERS. ASTORE WAS 1 HP SHY OF BEING ONE-ROUNDED JESUS CHRIST.

Interestingly, I visited one of the villages, and it does have dialogue. But there are a shitton of villages here. Do they all have dialogue? Once I'm done with the enemies here, I think I'll be checking out as many as I can, just in case there's a secret here.

But because a spoiler tag in a comment was left open on my browser due to the page not fully loading yet, I know this chapter has a rather nasty ambush spawn. Well... I'm gonna see if I can get to the gate before it triggers. The coast is mostly clear to do that.

Milady gained another defense level up. Now I really want to get this done before the ambush spawns come, which I have to assume happens from the houses.

The villages are all saying differently-worded iterations of the same phrase: “The clans will all unite to stop invaders. Such is the law of Sacae.”

It's actually kind of creepy.

Yep. Yep, the ambush spawns showed up from the houses circling the gate. Just as I got close to it.

...And yet damn near all of them went after Milady. I think bow users might be hard-coded to pick on fliers regardless of how much damage they'd actually do. Works for me, and it's an interesting insight into the enemy AI, but... it's weird to be sure.

Miraculously, despite the incredibly sub-par Lance having Roy in tow at the time, thanks to the weird Milady prioritizing and Merlinus being a convenient scapegoat, Everyone survived the enemy phase with no permanent casualties.

Things were looking really, really good. And then at the last minute, Fae got an unlucky crit on her because I forgot how shit Fae's HP is and I relied on her to block the bridge when my squishier units had to retreat, instead of Allen. And I was promptly punished with a short bow crit. And for good measure, Astore got critted to death immediately after from the spot that Fae's death opened up.

UGGGGGH.

Restarting. Just as soon as I check what turn this happened on and-

...The nomad reinforcements killed Roy too. So I got a mandatory game over and I can't even check what turn it is so I can work out how much time I have.

So I went and googled what turn they appear on, and...

...It isn't a turn. They just show up, spawning from completely random houses, for four turns after you enter that area.

That is simultaneously psychotically vile level design and also the best news ever. Looks like all I have to do is send Miledy into that circle early, wait them out, and then rush it once the four turns are up and they stop appearing.

Seems to have worked like a charm. Milady's untouchable by anything but the wyvern lord and the handful of shamans and druids, so she has nothing to fear from the waves of reinforcements, and she'll take most of them out by the time the four turns are up.

It's also weird having so many bow users, to the point that Shin can actually reliably enemy-phase here.

That was a really, really dumb trick, pulling those ambush spawns in a proximity tripwire. It was a ridiculously stupid way to die when I first saw it, but now that I know it's coming, it's just... dumb. Just wait things out with your strong units until it's safe to bring Roy over again.

Also, Milady's running out of her javelin uses. I'm gonna have to bail her out somehow. Possibly exploiting their obsession with attacking her to send in my other strong units once she's softened up as many as she can.

Okay, game. That was way more than four turns.

Well, looks like the guide I read was mistaken. Or... yeah, looks like it admitted it didn't have complete data on when the ambush spawns stopped. Seriously, this is complete horseshit. It seems my only options are to either wait for the ambush spawns to finish after I trigger them, or to form a human diamond of eight units around Roy as I advance on the gate and hope for the best while helping clear the way for him to seize.

I don't even have eight units I'm confident can survive that much continuous punishment out in the open. So looks like my options is to just wait these bastards out.

I just doubled Milady's javelin supply. Hopefully that's enough now.

I am frankly sick of this level.

Okay, that seems to confirm it. One turn they stopped spawning, to the point that the “victory is near” music stated playing. Then the next turn, even more came again. The spawns are random to the point that sometimes they don't happen at all, seemingly for no other reason than to lull you into a false sense of security before killing Roy. I'm gonna see if killing the leader stops them.

This wouldn't be so bad if these guys didn't all fucking double Roy.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST EVEN MORE REINFORCEMENTS ARE COMING FROM THE CORNERS OF THE MAP.

That does it. That fucking does it. The reinforcements are getting completely insane, forcing me to get absolutely desperate. I unloaded Roy right in the circle of death, bum-rushed the boss, fought as many nomads as I could, killed as many as I could of the wyverns who went flying right for the weak units I made hang back... and hoped Roy survived to seize next turn without anyone dying.

...This did not happen. The nomadic troopers killed Astore with a lucky crit. Again. Roy's literally standing within moving distance of the gate, which is ready for him to seize it, but I can't do it without giving up Astore.

JESUS.

FUCKING.

CHRIST.

How exactly am I supposed to do this without a warp staff or luck? You can't wait out the reinforcements, unless you want to really wait out the reinforcements, because from what I can tell, they start and then they just don't stop any time soon! And the more you wait, the more the flat plains will just flood with reinforcements with attack speed so high that the only unit in my entire army who can reliably double them is fucking sword locked. And you can't ever let Roy end even a single turn within shouting distance of hose fucking huts, or else he'll almost certainly die. How am I supposed to..

...Oh.

Ohhhhh.

Alright.

I have a plan.

It's a really cheap and stupid plan. I don't feel like a clever badass for figuring it out, and I didn't have any fun coming up with it like I did with that western isles chapter.

...But I think it will work.

The trick is that I have to move quickly, and take care not to enter the ring of death until the last possible moment. Possibly using bolting if I have to. I'm going to have to clear out the troops with Milady to the northeast and Lugh/Raigh nostanking the southwestern half, get Roy and Lalum and Rutger and whoever the fuck else I can manage right up close to that circle of death, rush the border all at once to kill Monke with a combination of bolting and killing edges, and then have Roy rush the gate with Lalum's help.

It's stupid. It's a plan that only works because I now know, intimately, the specifics of that utterly asinine ambush spawn. I'm not going to have fun doing it. But I'm gonna do it.

...I did it. And it worked. Flawlessly. A combination of Rutger, Lugh and Shin (who got the kill and also a really anticlimactic personal conversation with Monke) managed to take out the boss in one turn, and Lalum helped Roy cross the threshold and seize without the ambush even triggering.

Right. So.

That was one of the worst Fire Emblem chapters I have ever played.

There is some stiff competition, to be sure, but holy shit is this chapter a fighter. Swarms of high-mobility, long-range enemies with evasion so high that only magic users can reliably hit them and attack speed so high that only swordmasters can reliably double them, combined with a ridiculously idiotic ambush spawn that instantly turns the whole thing into a luck-based mission if you triggered it, and requires multiple restarts or a guide in order to figure out what the trigger even is...

In the game's defense... a reliable strategy technically did exist. Even if it involved nostanking and Miladytanking, and even if it involved having intimate knowledge of systems that can only be understood thorugh guides or trial and error... the second I figured out what to do, in the game's defense... I didn't have any problems putting my plan into action.

But holy shit was I not having fun with this map. At any point.

I was really tempted to leave this for Monday, but no, I've been doing that a bit too much lately, and I need to do it more sparingly. Every day I do that is another day behind schedule. Once I realized there was a potential plan, I knew I had to at least give it a shot.

So... that's it for this week. We'll be finishing up Sacae... and actually getting pretty close to finishing the game probably... next week.

See you guys then.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

That was one of the worst Fire Emblem chapters I have ever played.

This map is one of the biggest reasons people hate the Sacae route and generally work to avoid it. The gaiden has its own Revelation level gimmick as well, which doesn't help, but this map is the heart of it. Odd as this sounds I am kinda glad you weren't scared off from the Sacae route, as its worst maps deserve to be played when you are reviewing the game. Also I can't believe I forgot about this chapter back when random reinforcements first showed up in Thracia.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

So... that's it for this week. We'll be finishing up Sacae... and actually getting pretty close to finishing the game probably... next week.

See you guys then.

I will note, if you miss one of the gaidens and thus get the bad ending you should finish this game next Friday.

11 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Odd as this sounds I am kinda glad you weren't scared off from the Sacae route, as its worst maps deserve to be played when you are reviewing the game.

Agreed. I think it's important that I know this chapter exists before giving my verdict on the game. It's not so bad once you figure out the trick to it, but the trick itself, and the ways you work around it, aren't really fun, and are kind of counter-intuitive in a "this doesn't feel organic" kind of way. Plus, the trap itself can go fuck itself. It feels deliberately designed to turn victory into a roll of the dice.

Binding Blade Day 26: Chapter 19B

Well. My hopes that I might have seen the end of the nomad spam have been thoroughly crushed, but at least this time it looks more manageable, and HOPEFULLY, there aren't any more ambush spawns.

Outfitting took a while. I wanted to make sure I could handle the opening move well enough, and it looks like I can. What I find interesting though, in a “that's weird” sort of way, is that Brunja left Arcardo to die, but she seems to feel just as obligated to protect the other Etrurian traitor as she claimed to be before. Why's this guy getting better treatment?

Honestly, I don't like how the Zephiel story is being broken up. Roy's had plenty of time to hear it while traveling, but they insist on basically putting a brief segment of “Backstory Storytime” during each chapter, and I'm being reminded of the nonsense in FE3 Book 2.

The first turn went pretty well until it came time to take out the 19-speed nomad on the west side. Everyone failed to land a hit on him, so I had to have Claire rescue Lalum out rather than finish him off like she was supposed to. Thankfully my army can survive as long as he doesn't get a damned short bow crit on Lance, which he shouldn't, due to the support bonus.

Oh sweet! Looks like we'll be getting Niime and Dayan soon!

Fae got her first kill on a nomadic trooper, trading one of her 30 uses for one of her 19 levels. If I keep that up, I'll be able to... use her 11 times in the endgame.

...This is one of the things I don't like about GBA manaketes. They only get one single weapon and then that's it, that's the entire character gone. And when they need training to truly become powerful... yeah. It can feel like a massively wasted investment.

That was pretty intense. The sleep and silence staves nearly caused a big problem, but thankfully Lugh dodged one and gave me a bit more of an opening with how Clarine uses her restore staff. I really can't wait for Lugh and Raigh to get higher staff ranks. But yeah, the wyverns are now dead, except for one harassing a sleeping Milady. She'll last long enough for Clarine to physic her, easily. Then I'll work something out once she's awake. Brave lance Percival really helped deal with those wyverns. Their defense stats are crazy.

Wow, Fae is really good at dodging sleep staves! Pity she can't use magic or she could bait in the silence staff users too.

...Well... that's just kinda dumb. Apparently the doors in front of the city don't actually open at all! Astore can't unlock it! He's got lockpicks and everything, it just won't open! Hell, that was the only reason I brought him!

Looks like those breakable walls on the sides are the only option. That's... annoying. Like, really annoying. Suddenly I have this whole length of nothing I'm doing while I'm waiting to get inside the damned city. I can understand that being the punishment for letting all your thieves die, but to make it be the mandatory, expected way to do the map?

Fuck. Okay, so apparently reinforcements are coming soon, and only after they arrive will the front gate open. Well, I'm not waiting to take chances on that. Lugh's managed to get himself 2 behind on his speed, and he got a speed level up this time. I'm not risking getting too close to the reinforcements at this stage, especially when it involves backtracking.

...And some of the reinforcements arrived... to the side. Right where my army was. And ONLY where my army was. Only the side I chose to breach on got wyvern rider reinforcements within spitting distance of my party. The other side got nomads much further away. The wyverns swarmed my team, instantly killing Merlinus and costing me access to the silver card for the map.

And the door still hasn't opened.

...Game, why did you arbitrarily make one side a better decision to infiltrate from for reasons I couldn't possibly know beforehand? WHY? What the fuck was the point of that?

...I'm sure I've said this elsewhere, but this one of the things I hate about ambush spawns: it makes deploying fragile characters a massive crapshoot. You don't just have to keep them out of range of the enemies on the map, but the enemies that might be on the map, and might make themselves known spontaneously at any given time. And that really, really makes having a good defense stat more important than it needs to be. Take... I'm sorry for basically phallating this game at the slightest provocation yet again, but take Conquest for example.

Elise has the durability of a roll of tissue paper recovered from the wreck of the Titanic. It's entirely realistic for her to be one-shot by at least someone on every map, pretty much continuously throughout the entire game, even without dual strikes. And yet I never once had any issues keeping her alive, because Conquest always lets you know what places will put her in danger, so you can make informed decisions about what to do with her and keep her useful without overextending her. She'll die if you fuck up, but only if you fuck up. Meanwhile, Merlinus, who at this point is even more fragile, is near impossible to keep alive when you go in blind. In fairness, he doesn't ever permanently die, but that doesn't make it any less annoying when I lose access to the convoy for stuff that you can't blame me for with even the most intense of moon logic.

Restarting.

And unfortunately it looks like the stats are randomized, so I can't manage that turn-1 strat I did last time. Now the nomads' speed is too high. I'll have to improvise.

I decided to move Lugh and Raigh over to the west side, since they were so helpful against those wyverns too. They'll take out the nomads over a combination of enemy phase and player phase attacks.

Unfortunately, those silence staves are way more accurate on Clarine than I remember them being, and she unfortunately got silenced, meaning the next three sleep staff attacks are gonna be with impunity. I sure hope they're used on Fae.

...No, all of a sudden the sleep staff user doesn't seem to give a shit about Fae. Not sure why. I just barely got the western wyvern riders killed before Lugh got silenced. Hopefully by the time we breach the western wall, my army will be cured. I've had to rescue the sleeping units since Clarine can't restore them now. I. NEED. A. SECOND. RESTORE. USER.

I don't think status conditions go down while you're being carried by someone. Fuck. Well, Clarine will still be able to restore everyone at least. I just wish the last one hadn't been Perceval.

Alright, I'm in, and with some help from Lalum, Clarine's healed all four of the status-afflicted units back to fitness.

Immediately upon breaching the gate, I'm swarmed by a shitton of nomads and nomadic troopers, as well as a swordmaster that Milady can inexplicably double due to her capped speed. I managed to wall them off to limit the damage, and I got everyone safely inside.

The doors out front still haven't opened, by the way, and those reinforcements are pretty much right on top of me now.

NOW the doors open. Right when the bulk of the reinforcements have passed the door right on by. I don't know what the hell is going on here.

That's... bizarre. Apparently, despite her animation being walking, Fae can fly, and can just pass right over these lower walls. And yet she isn't weak to bows. Huh.

Have the guerilla forces hiding in the houses commence their attack.”

...No. Please no. Please, not now. Game, what the fuck am I even supposed to do with that “warning”?

...Well, I'll tell you what I did do: I wound up going full-on paranoid, not wanting to do this chapter again, and formed a human wall with all of my best units in the little middle area between the houses in the western part I breached through and the houses in the central part I'm moving into, treating every house as a potential reinforcement spawn point, sandwiching my squishy units between two walls of stone and two of flesh.

Thankfully I didn't have to test if this would work. I had enough time to deal with this and evacuate everyone into the central palace plaza, and when they did show up they turned out to just be low-power myrmidons, but I have no idea what's gona happen if I stay here any longer. I'll check out the shop with a stronger unit, and if there's anything worth buying there, fuck it, I'll just warp Merlinus in. The armory didn't have much to offer, so if there's anything worth buying, it's there.

...I think this is a first. A boss... that Rutger... can't double. That's... almost inconceivable. Hell, not just a boss that he can't double, but a boss that no one can double! Well... without whichever divine weapon boosts speed I suppose.

But thankfully, Lugh is at D rank staves, which means he can finally start gaining some momentum improving that staff rank with some non-heal staves.

...The shop has nothing good to offer, so I'm saving my money. I'm getting the hell out of here. Now.

Alright, so, I got a short cutscene with Niime that wasn't very interesting. Nothing I didn't know except the thing I forgot about how the demon dragon was created to deal with the dragons' low fertility rate that resulted in them being drastically outnumbered.

That thing about dragons being much smarter than humans, though... I mean... I don't think we've seen any evidence of that, like, at all. So I'm... shall we say, deeply skeptical.

But the chapter is over.

Okay, I'm not happy with this chapter. It wasn't nearly as bad as last chapter, but this chapter just was not fun at any point. There was a lot of combat-free walking, a lot of ambush spawns, a lot of randomized ambush spawns... this map just inspired my least favorite feeling I can have while playing a Fire Emblem game: the “I don't want to die but I won't learn how to not die until I do die” stress. The kind of shit I was feeling every waking moment of the lategame in my Crimson Flower ironman run. I hate it. I hate being made to feel like nothing I do matters because the game just flat-out wants me to die, and doesn't care what it has to do to achieve it. It makes me feel like a mouse being toyed with by a cat, like the game's just making me squirm as I wait for the dice to drop. It's complete and utter bullshit, and even when I find ways to counter it and overcome, it never, ever feels genuinely satisfying.

Well, next chapter is the last Sacaean chapter, and the one I have to do in 25 turns in order to get the Mulagir gaiden that everyone's telling me I'll despise.

Oh goodie.

Well, we'll deal with that when it comes.

13 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

That thing about dragons being much smarter than humans, though... I mean... I don't think we've seen any evidence of that, like, at all. So I'm... shall we say, deeply skeptical.

Eh, humans haven't perfected cloning in this world. So that probably gives the dragons an edge. Nergal certainly seems to respect their academic work more than humans.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Eh, humans haven't perfected cloning in this world. So that probably gives the dragons an edge. Nergal certainly seems to respect their academic work more than humans.

Yeah, but evidently they never invented anything more powerful than their own bodies, or even anything that complements their bodies, or they'd be using that to fight rather than just biting and scratching and breathing fire like damned dragon cavemen. Like, humans invented horseshoes to improve the performance of their livestock. What the hell do we see that dragons have invented to improve themselves?

Binding Blade Day 27: Chapter 20B

Huh. An indoor fog of war chapter? Honestly, that sounds pretty refreshing. Plenty of walls to see enemies in advance over, and fewer directions for enemies to come rushing out at you from. And indoors means that they probably aren't going to be high move units, and especially not fliers. Only real issue here is if there are siege tomes. Which there definitely are.

...Okay, what's wrong with this picture? Two ways in, one with tons of chests and one with nothing. Also, this chapter is alarmingly small for one with a time limit of 25 turns. What I initially thought was just a snaking hallway is actually a completely inaccessible, hollowed-out inner wall. I can't imagine a point to that unless they're planning to flood it with siege tome users like that Awakening chapter.

I just learned that apparently, higher ranking staves don't give any more weapon exp in this game somehow. Well, I'll have Lugh use the unlock and mend staves anyway, because I might as well.

Also, in contrast to last fog of war chapter, it seems the range here is actually longer than it was in the first fog of war chapter. Even basic units can see nine in this. Is the fog actually completely arbitrary and dependent on the chapter, and not fog type?

Having it be this generous kind of... completely defeats the point of fog of war, wouldn't you say? Well, whatever. Let's roll with it.

Alright, just saw the Niime an Roy conversation. Looks like the Ending Winter is what caused dragons to have to take human form. And as I know from past experience and also other sources, the Ending Winter was caused by the power the holy weapons unleashed. So basically, not only were the humans the aggressors, but they weren't even badass. The evil stupid humans only won because their big scary evil weapons ruined their own planet so much that the dragons couldn't live on it anymore.

Yeah. Totally not obnoxiously preachy.

Moving on.

I've got Niime now. Which means another dark magic user, but more importantly another A rank staff user thank fucking christ.

She comes with a heal and a physic, but I'll be slapping a restore on her immediately just so we have two of those. She's not gonna be very useful combatwise. 16 speed at this point in the game and only two levels to gain points with her terrible growths is completely unsalvageable. But she's our best staff user by far, with an A rank in staves and 21 magic to use them with.

...Siege tome users. I fucking knew it. Thanks to them I unknowingly threw Echidna into enough open fire to kill her twice over, but she managed to dodge everything from both of the bolting users and the two axe users she fought. But I'm gonna have to take these guys out, which means it's yet again Shin to the rescue with his longbow that can just barely reach one.

There was also a berserk staff user, and Niime was the prime target because now they suddenly care about deployment order again. But thankfully now we have two restore users, so we should be in the clear no matter what other nonsense they throw at us.

One of the guys in the wall inexplicably has a red gem I can't reach without a warp staff use, which almost certainly isn't worth it.

I find it quite curious that there's been a female dark magic user spriteset since the very first GBA game, and yet this is the only game that ever used it. Hell, with the exception of Athos being able to use everything and Ewan being able to become a shaman, this is the only GBA game with more than one dark magic user at all.

...I routinely keep underestimating how fragile Astore is, and he got one-shot by the one remaining bolting user. Fuck it, I'm gonna give him one of those angelic robes I've been carrying around.

Shit. And Lugh had gotten a +spd level up too...

Restarting.

Unfortunately, this time neither bolting user showed up at a space I could longbow them at. Meaning I just have to flat-out wait for them to run out of ammo because they're so powerful and accurate that counting on tanking them with anyone short of my biggest badasses is a massively dumb idea.

...Or... what I can do is have my weakest, juiciest targets who can take a single hit run off towards the absolute back limit of their attack range, to squares they can only be hit from single spaces. Spaces that Shin can longbow them from.

They did literally exactly what I hoped they'd do. And now I can take them all out in one turn with Shin and some rescue-dropping to bring him back into Lalum's range.

Actually, change of plans. Dayan just showed up, which means Shin has to use his turn to recruit him before he does something stupid, and also I messed up and forgot that Clarine needs to be in range of basically anyone at all times, and so Lalum has to dance someone else too to keep berserk Niime from ruining everything. So that perfect opening was completely snatched away, and the best I could do was have Dayan use his vastly inferior attack power to use Shin's longbow to do chip damage on one of the bolting users. Hopefully Astore and Roy will remain just as tempting as they were last turn.

OH THANK GOODNESS, LUGH GOT THE SAME LEVEL UP. Now he's slightly less speed screwed. The ridiculous number of nomads and myrmidons I've been fighting lately has frankly almost made him feel slow.

Now I just need one more turn and I can take these fucking bolting users out and move forward with this uncomfortably generous time limit.

NOPE! SUDDENLY DAYAN IS THE BERSERK STAFF USER'S NEW FAVORITE PUNCHING BAG, BECAUSE OF COURSE HE IS. Now I have to dance Clarine to get over to Dayan in order to restore him, and since Dayan's accuracy with the longbow, in addition to his attack power with it, is garbage, he missed his chance to use it to kill the one he damaged last turn. I did manage to do some crazy trading chains in order to get Shin his longbow back in order to kill the other one though.

Yeah, I just checked. There's literally nothing on that side of the room that doesn't have the treasure. Nothing but one thing: a breakable wall. I'm assuming this is the “in case you don't have a thief” safety net here.

Also, this warrior has been weirdly patrolling this upcoming sealed room randomly, despite there being nowhere he can really go, like those enemies in Thracia.

I just had a weird panic attack when I forgot that enemy snipers riding ballistae can leave them whenever they like, and one attacked Echidna with a silver bow. Thankfully her speed is enough that this didn't cause any major issues, but I didn't check, and I should have.

We've got another guiding ring, and I'm just gonna sell that. I already have all the promoted magic users I'll be using, so time to get back that money I spent in the secret shop.

I also got my second sleep staff, suggesting I could've been using these things more than I have been. Which, in traditional Fire Emblem fashion, is “not at all”.

I'm at the throne room, with everything fully secured, and I'm only halfway towards the turn limit.

So Raigh is fighting the boss... I just noticed... I'm not sure if this is something that was in the other games and I just never saw it... but when you attack with Flux at range and it sinks in to the ground, when the camera moves to the enemy, the Flux doesn't actually move perfectly along with the camera, causing it to move relative to that little terrain platform they're standing on above the endless void.

Actually, I don't remember the camera moving even a little for 2-range attacks before. I thought that was just for siege tome uses. I'll have to check that when I move on to FE7.

I also remember a bit late that I wanted to see some of Rutger's supports with Dayan. So I'm working on that as I clean up.

And Lalum's level 20! I've made a habit of using her every turn I can, mostly on Roy as a placeholder as I've been building up their support rank. It's not much, but that avoid will save a few resets probably.

That's weird... how did I not notice before that thrones have a movement penalty? Roy can't move on to it with his last movement point. Weird. Speaking of, I should probably get him those last 3 levels if I can. His promotion gains are not going to be enough to make him as good as the rest of my army, but... I mean I might as well.

Alright, so, now we're going to get the Mulagir. This is the one people have been warning me about in vague and ominous “oh you're going to HATE this” ways, but... before we get to that...

...Okay, so these weapons are forged to be super-effective against dragons. But... okay, now... having different bows do more damage instead of different arrows, that I can get behind, since they have different draw weights, and obviously their construction affects their accuracy too. But... okay, these weapons are magical. They've been imbued with magical energies that make them able to pierce dragons' thick, magical hides. So what exactly is Mulagir doing? I mean the thing that's piercing the dragons isn't the bow, it's the arrows it's firing. Is Mulagir so insanely powerful that it can propel ordinary arrows at speeds powerful enough to pierce dragonhide just as well as other legendary weapons where the magic is actually in the blade? ...No, because then it would probably liquify any human it made contact with like you hit them with a machine gun. No, it's clearly anti-dragon magic here. So either it's not the bow that's special, but rather the arrows that were forged to be used with it, which wouldn't make much sense because otherwise they wouldn't be making such a huge deal out of the bow...

...Or the Mulagir has the unique ability to temporarily imbue completely ordinary objects with the same magical properties that the other legendary weapons have. Which suggests to me that Mulagir was probably the most complicated and advanced bit of magical forging out of all of the legendary weapons. Certainly more so than Durandal, Armads and Maltet at least. Maybe the tomes were more complicated. It's just kind of a curious thing to think about that came to mind here.

Alright, what've we got here...-

...That's... that's a recolor of Monke. The leader of the Djute clan was killed... and its remnants have been rallied together... by a guy who looks almost exactly like him.

...SCRATCH THAT, BY SIX GUYS WHO LOOK ALMOST EXACTLY LIKE HIM.

This is... this is insultingly lazy, game.

And even less encouraging... all six of them appear to be guarding their own seize point.

...Please tell me I don't have to have Roy wander around this whole map seizing them all.

...Please.

PLEASE.

Edited by Alastor15243

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Alright, what've we got here...-

...That's... that's a recolor of Monke. The leader of the Djute clan was killed... and its remnants have been rallied together... by a guy who looks almost exactly like him.

...SCRATCH THAT, BY SIX GUYS WHO LOOK ALMOST EXACTLY LIKE HIM.

This is... this is insultingly lazy, game.

And even less encouraging... all six of them appear to be guarding their own seize point.

...Please tell me I don't have to have Roy wander around this whole map seizing them all.

...Please.

PLEASE.

Unfortunately, if your luck is poor, that is exactly what it'll turn out to be; only one ends the chapter, while the other 5 trigger ambushes.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

She comes with a heal and a physic, but I'll be slapping a restore on her immediately just so we have two of those. She's not gonna be very useful combatwise. 16 speed at this point in the game and only two levels to gain points with her terrible growths is completely unsalvageable. But she's our best staff user by far, with an A rank in staves and 21 magic to use them with.

I've heard it suggested at least once that you could buy 2-3 Angelic Robes in the C16 Secret Shop and toss her C14 Nosferatus (and maybe a Body Ring/Speedwing) so she can Nostank for S Dark. Not so viable in Sacae though due to higher enemy AS, since otherwise, while she isn't immune to being doubled, she can avoid it on a lot of things.

This is only a strat for those who think the 7-21k Robe investment is preferable to training Raigh or Sophia. Not unreasonable IMO, since Raigh comes kinda late and underleveled, and Sophia is DEFINITELY those two things.

• In terms of Mag and Spd, the most important stats, it takes Raigh until 20/5 to match Niime at base, which over 11-12 chapters pre-Niime he has to gain 12 levels, or about 1 level per chapter. Not unreasonable for Raigh to achieve, if not giving a lot of time to outright surpass Niime offensively either.
  • In terms of Mag, Sophia matches Niime at 20/2, but she doesn't match Niime's Spd until 20/12. Either way, Sophia only has 9-10 chapters to gain the 20/30 levels needed to match Niime. Sophia is eternally less accurate too, since her Skl at 20/20 is only 19 and her Lck is 10.6.

...Or the Mulagir has the unique ability to temporarily imbue completely ordinary objects with the same magical properties that the other legendary weapons have.

I'd like to go with this explanation. Though the issue of legendary bows and their power's center makes me think the laser arrows of Fujin Yumi wasn't so bad. Although laser arrows being slightly sci-fi are a bit tacky/out of place to me in FE.

Yeah, but evidently they never invented anything more powerful than their own bodies, or even anything that complements their bodies, or they'd be using that to fight rather than just biting and scratching and breathing fire like damned dragon cavemen. Like, humans invented horseshoes to improve the performance of their livestock. What the hell do we see that dragons have invented to improve themselves?

Retroactively via SoV, the Falchion- for Archanean dragonkind. Buuuuuuut you have a point. FE makes dragons extremely intelligent and advanced creatures, but they often remain in a state of "natural primitiveness" with a reliance on their super-powerful bodies. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've heard it suggested at least once that you could buy 2-3 Angelic Robes in the C16 Secret Shop and toss her C14 Nosferatus (and maybe a Body Ring/Speedwing) so she can Nostank for S Dark. Not so viable in Sacae though due to higher enemy AS, since otherwise, while she isn't immune to being doubled, she can avoid it on a lot of things.

This is only a strat for those who think the 7-21k Robe investment is preferable to training Raigh or Sophia. Not unreasonable IMO, since Raigh comes kinda late and underleveled, and Sophia is DEFINITELY those two things.

• In terms of Mag and Spd, the most important stats, it takes Raigh until 20/5 to match Niime at base, which over 11-12 chapters pre-Niime he has to gain 12 levels, or about 1 level per chapter. Not unreasonable for Raigh to achieve, if not giving a lot of time to outright surpass Niime offensively either.
  • In terms of Mag, Sophia matches Niime at 20/2, but she doesn't match Niime's Spd until 20/12. Either way, Sophia only has 9-10 chapters to gain the 20/30 levels needed to match Niime. Sophia is eternally less accurate too, since her Skl at 20/20 is only 19 and her Lck is 10.6.

In fairness, yeah, I did give a speedwing to Raigh and he's a little blessed. If I hadn't and he wasn't, he'd have about the same speed as Niime too. Though obviously he'd still have way more room to grow than her, but I guess her bases aren't too bad for that point in the game. Still, obviously her staff use is the star of the show here.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'd like to go with this explanation. Though the issue of legendary bows and their power's center makes me think the laser arrows of Fujin Yumi wasn't so bad. Although laser arrows being slightly sci-fi are a bit tacky/out of place to me in FE.

Yeah, that never really bothered me. Especially not after seeing his cutscene where it showed it's more like glowing magic wind than a laser. Also, seeing Pit's arrows in Smash Bros beforehand helped me get used to the concept of magical energy arrows in fantasy.

11 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah, that never really bothered me. Especially not after seeing his cutscene where it showed it's more like glowing magic wind than a laser. Also, seeing Pit's arrows in Smash Bros beforehand helped me get used to the concept of magical energy arrows in fantasy.

Pretty much what I was gonna say. His arrows look weird in Warriors, though.

Binding Blade Day 28: Chapter 20xB

I appear to have gone directly to hell.

First off, nomad spam again. I officially hate these enemy units. They feel like Conquest ninjas except somehow managing to make everything great about them terrible. They're both weak but extremely speedy enemy units with ranged attacks, but the difference is that ninjas exist to punish over-reliance on enemy-phasing, whereas nomads seem to exist both to encourage it and to draw it the fuck out. In Conquest, the idea was to use player phase attack stance tactics to kill them all in a single round of combat before they could even counter-attack, to make sure their shurikens never touched you. Here, the goal is to send someone super tanky with 1-2 range and wait until they land enough single hits on them over multiple enemy-phases. They're just as good at subverting normal gameplay as ninjas, but with none of the challenge or fun.

Second, my army's all split up, and while at least in this game I can control who goes where, it hardly matters; I only have two restore staff users, and half of the six bosses are carrying the entire damned trinity of status staff fuckery between them, with a staff range ensuring that almost nowhere on the map is safe from all three at once. No matter what I do, one of these teams, bare minimum, is gonna have to put up with having no defense against status staves. I'm gonna have to put Niime near the top of the roster, then have her go with one group, Clarine with another... and I guess the one without a restore staff user can just not have magic users at all and go after the silence staff druid.

...Nope. The berserk staff user is fully in range of the only ones anywhere near the silence staff user. So looks like I'm gonna have to try some same-turn cheese by slapping a brave lance on Milady to kill that Berserk staff user right away.

...Looks like I can just barely do that. Thank goodness the tomes they're carrying are basically the only really heavy tomes in the game.

But THIRD, apparently every single one of the huts, except for one, triggers a goddamned ambush spawn.

This is going to suck. It's going to really, really suck.

...But thankfully not immediately. Milady managed to kill the berserk staff druid on turn one, and Lalum got rescued back to safety by Perceval.

Wow, Niime has really good hit rates with the sleep staff I gave her for the hell of it. Good to know.

Alright, so, just to fill you guys in: Up with Roy's group, I've got Rutger, Clarine, Perceval, Lalum and Milady. Like I said, I had Milady rush the berserk staff boss with a brave lance immediately, and she just barely had enough attack speed to do the job thanks to her capped speed and that fenrir tome the guy was holding. Over to the northwest I have Lugh, Raigh, Niime and Echidna. Lugh and Raigh took care of most of the enemies to their east across the bridge quickly, and then quickly plugged the gap to stop the massive horde of nomads from reaching Niime and Echidna. And to the southeast, I have Allen, Lance, Fae and Shin. Allen used a wyrmslayer on the wyvern lord, Shin finished him off when Allen missed the second attack, and now I'm just trying to get them away from the eastern horde of wyvern riders while Milady keeps them distracted sitting on the now-free gate.

And I lost because of a short bow crit on Echidna from a nomadic trooper. Thankfully, nothing happened that'll be difficult to repeat, but really, this just cements how garbage Echidna is, if she can't take a single critical shot from a short bow. She was barely passable before, and now just the struggle to get her to S rank for Armads is looking not only extremely difficult, but barely worth it.

Restarting.

Also, the gimmick of this chapter is... okay, I'm sorry, I have to look up how these “ambush spawns” work, because I am not in the mood to have do do this chapter over tomorrow.

Also, apparently according to said looking up, Dayan isn't needed to be kept alive to get this map. Why does Shin know where this is, but not Dayan?

Okay, apparently a handful of reinforcements, six to be exact, will show up after you seize each gate. Whether they appear the enemy phase after or in the middle of your player phase... the guides don't specifically say, so I'll account for either possibility. One of the gates lets you win, but which gate exactly is completely random.

This isn't just dumb, it's tedious. If you could seize these with anyone, that I could understand, but you can't. You have to take Roy around this whole winding map to seize each one in turn, likely after most of the enemies are already gone. Also, the game doesn't even explain the concept of this map in the story dialogue. Honestly, yeah, you guys called it. I despise everything about this gimmick.

Alright, I managed the first move kill with Milady yet again. Man, that opening gambit cost me half the brave lance's uses between the boss and the wyverns and nomadic troopers with swords, but I suppose I have an unused hammerne staff if I really, really need to use this more than 15 more times.

Anyway, I learned a few lessons from my minor mistakes last time, and managed to be slightly more efficient with how I dealt with the enemies. Now the nomadic trooper who killed Echidna is dead, because I put Lugh in range of him early. Now I'm gonna have Roy's group meet up with Lugh and Raigh's group, so that we have both status staff users available to take out the sleep staff druid before moving forward. Meanwhile Shin's group down south is just dealing with whatever comes their way until they have more room to breathe once Milady's taken out the wyverns.

...Okay, that was weird. Milady got sleep-staved, but she instantly recovered. I think, I think that being on a gate makes you instantly heal from status effects at the beginning of your turn in this game. If so, holy shit is that gonna be a great way to make Marral waste those sleep staff uses.

Yep, that's the second time in a row being on a gate has healed Milady, confirming it's probably the gate and not sheer luck of getting a ridiculously low number of status turns twice in a row. I wonder if it's just gates and thrones, or if forts work too...

But at any rate, that completely solves my sleep staff problem. Now to have Shin take out the silence staff guy, reunite with the rest of the group, and start the slow, painful process of visiting these one by one.

...Okay, the fuck is this? Fae can walk over low walls, but not over water? What the hell is going on here? Was that a glitch? Or is Fae a vampire now?

This map is surprisingly, almost disappointingly easy once you get past that initial berserk staff issue. It's mostly just tedious due to the terrain.

It's weird... at first I thought it was just the emulator, but no, the game runs normally at all other times... it feels like all of the dark magic spell animations are just slower in this game than they are in FE7 and FE8. Not sure why, but if so, it was a good decision to speed them up. They definitely feel more natural going faster.

That is... utterly bizarre. For some reason, despite Niime having a magic of 21, she only has a reach of 16 with the physic staff. But the game says your range is equal to your magic. The wiki says that too. What's going on here?

Clarine's physic range is 10, exactly equal to her...

...Wait...

What if it's a mistake? What if it's not your magic, but it's just like the range of warp: your magic divided by two, and then add five?

Rounded up, that would turn Niime's 21 magic into 11, plus 5 is 16, and Clarine's magic is 10, divided by 2 is 5, plus 5 is 10 again. I can't know for sure without a higher sample size, but that seems to be how it works.

Either way, it's incredibly obnoxious that the weapon tooltip is flat out wrong.

Lugh and Echidna are having fun trying to get Echidna to kill a single nomad with her shaky hit rates even with a killer axe. She keeps attacking in melee, he keeps switching her weapon back to the hand axe for enemy phase and then healing her, and the nomad keeps dodging nearly everything. Lugh doesn't mind. He's getting good staff exp. And Echidna is gaining good axe exp too.

Alright. All the enemies are dead. Time to start the trial and error of getting everyone around to deal with the reinforcements and seizing to test. I'm gonna start the turn with everyone standing on the reinforcement spots, to account for three of the four scenarios. If it's a tripwire and they can be blocked, awesome, they're blocked by my army already standing on their spawn points. If it's a tripwire and they can't be blocked, I've got a turn to kill them with an entire army that hasn't moved yet, and they aren't promoted so it shouldn't be that hard. If it's an enemy phase ambush and they can be blocked, also awesome. If it's an enemy phase ambush and they can't be blocked... well, I mean, I'd have to kill myself, wouldn't I?

...Turns out it's option B: it's a tripwire, and they can't be blocked.

...Dealing with these guys is tedious, but at least it's not attempt-endangeringly dangerous in a way I can't handle. I've even been able to take advantage of it to train Fae, and also get Lugh closer to C staves and Echidna closer to S axes.

Also, Lalum and Roy's support is absurdly slow to level. I've been doing it religiously ever since like the water temple or so and I'm still only at rank C. Have I accidentally been sapping points from them whenever I keep established A ranks close together for positioning purposes? Do they still gain points and waste the cap?

Alright. Fourth time's the charm. Thank goodness. Funny, I was just getting used to the grinding opportunity, but yeah, now that the initial shock is over, I'm glad it's done. Turns out it was in the very first hut. The one with the berserk druid.

Alright, now we hear the climax of the story of Zephiel and Desmond. Yeah, this is... a really sad story, but one that is way, way better told, at least the parts we see, in FE7. Honestly, in a remake, I hope this actually has cutscenes like FE7 did. Being shown the beginning of the story, and then being told the end of it... would be really, really unsatisfying in a remake. Actually, for that reason, I hope they remake FE7 first, so that they treat the Zephiel story in FE6 more like a continuation of his story arc in FE7, giving it more narrative impact. Here, this stuff is sad, but I don't think I'd give even a tenth of the shit I give about it if I hadn't grown up with the story of the Zephiel of FE7 and seen the start of his story firsthand.

And with that... the chapter is over. And I really, really didn't like it. Everything about it is wrong. Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that the enemies the tripwires spawn are relatively weak, and the fact that the game at least makes it clear that seizing one of these places isn't going to be enough to win, this would be no better than Foreign Land and Sky. And for those of you who are just joining us for my playlog of this game, for the record, Foreign Land and Sky is my most hated Fire Emblem map of all time, entirely for that utterly ridiculous ambush spawn disguised as a fake win objective. So that is very much not a good thing that I'm comparing the two.

But yeah, this doesn't really get there. I know I was warned about the ambush spawns ahead of time by my readers, so it's harder to judge how I would have reacted if I did it blind, but it's just not on the same level of awful. I consider 18B to be worse than this in terms of shitty game design. Really, in practice, the problem with this map is that it's boring. It demands a more tedious playstyle than is really necessary. They split up your army but only let one unit seize, so in all likelihood all of the major threats of the map are dead long before you start seizing, so you're just wandering around an empty map, moving your whole army around from place to place to protect Roy. It's not as bad as anything in FE1-4 in terms of soul-crushing empty map movement tedium, but it's still pretty damned bad.

...Right. So, next time, we're doing the final map with a gaiden chapter. And we're getting really close to the infamous chapter 22. Oh god. I remember the wyvern ambush spawns. This could be scary...

...Or I could just have to have Milady fly past every mountain I guess. But that's two maps away, so we'll have to wait.

Until then, guys.

I see people say fe6 has good map design and i always wonder if they just pretend a big chunk of the game doesn't exist or something. 

9 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yep, that's the second time in a row being on a gate has healed Milady, confirming it's probably the gate and not sheer luck of getting a ridiculously low number of status turns twice in a row. I wonder if it's just gates and thrones, or if forts work too...

Also works in fe7, learned it watching a negative growths playthrough. Pretty sure it's thrones only. 

7 minutes ago, Boomhauer007 said:

I see people say fe6 has good map design and i always wonder if they just pretend a big chunk of the game doesn't exist or something. 

To be fair many people only play the Illia versions, which aren't even close to being as bad as the Sacae maps.

9 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Rounded up, that would turn Niime's 21 magic into 11, plus 5 is 16, and Clarine's magic is 10, divided by 2 is 5, plus 5 is 10 again. I can't know for sure without a higher sample size, but that seems to be how it works.

...to quote myself from the last time staff ranges seemed weird:

On 2/24/2020 at 4:01 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

The staff range is actually Mag/2 + 5, so if you have less than 10 magic is it longer than you expect. I think they were trying to implement the FE7 version where staff range is Mag/2 but has a minimum range of 1-5, but messed it up slightly...

So ends the route split. I am not the best person to do this, but it is worth mentioning what things are like on the Illia route. Illia can still be a bit gimmicky as well, just in ways that are less annoying. 17Illia has a major path that only opens up a few turns in; chapter 18Illia does something similar but with the rivers freezing up into easier to traverse terrain; chapter 19Illia is a fog of war with ballista and flyers striking from the darkness while most of the players troops move through a winding path surrounded by peaks; 20Illia has a force of suicidal green units locked safely away, but including a recruitable character that is needed for the gaiden; and 20x Illia has numerous 100HP walls you have to carve your way through with another split party. Enemy wise the Illia route has a lot of flier, cavalry, and ballista.

As someone who thinks sword of seals has good map design I have to say I prefer Sacae over Ilia XD Everything the TC hates is what I love. Though I distinctly don't love the Apocalypse Gaiden with its combination of fog of war, traps and needlessly cock blocking me on Roy's promotion (the Sword of Seals is right there Roy! Go get it and promote before you stumble around in the dark!).

Next chapter is possibly my favourite in the series though.

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

...to quote myself from the last time staff ranges seemed weird:

Oh, I saw that. But you said THE staff range. I assumed you meant only warp. And then I looked on the site and saw that was indeed what SF said... but only for warp. I didn't realize that means that "mag" on every long range staff was a lie.

@Jotari EVERYTHING I hate is what you love? Fascinating. Please, by all means, share your thoughts on why you love the designs of each map. I'd specifically like to hear your thoughts on the randomized ambush spawns in 18, the roundabout and time-consuming path of 19 and the randomized ambush spawns, and the random victory hut gimmick of 20x.

Edited by Alastor15243

55 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Oh, I saw that. But you said THE staff range. I assumed you meant only warp. And then I looked on the site and saw that was indeed what SF said... but only for warp. I didn't realize that means that "mag" on every long range staff was a lie.

@Jotari EVERYTHING I hate is what you love? Fascinating. Please, by all means, share your thoughts on why you love the designs of each map. I'd specifically like to hear your thoughts on the randomized ambush spawns in 18, the roundabout and time-consuming path of 19 and the randomized ambush spawns, and the random victory hut gimmick of 20x.

While I wouldn't support ambush spawns so to speak and would prefer if they were of the non ambush variant, what I like about the hut if death is that it's a very dynamic change to the battle field that forces reaction from the player. If I recall correctly my response was to retreat to the starting position and do my best to use the river as a choke point. Though making a mad dash with Roy and Lalum I can also see as an option (in fact I was thinking you should do it as I was reading your entry).

Chapter 19 and it's reinforcements gives you a battle you need to fight on two fronts. Once you take the city the enemies sweep in meaning you have to deal with the inner city enemies while also dealing with the reinforcements. It's almost like a map that turns into simultaneously sieze and defend chapter part way through.

The guessing game? Well that's a nice departure from the standard A to B affair that the entire game is. It encourages risk versus safety play by trying to take out as many of the bosses at once vs dealing with them one at a time.

But hey, this is also coming from a huy who loved Thracia and unironically think the maps of Gaiden are well designed. So a hefty amount of different strokes for different folks is no doubt in play. I understand your frustration and don't think I could particularly convince you of my way of seeing things.

Binding Blade Day 29: Chapter 21

...Looks like I got things confused. This is the infamous map with the tripwire wyvern ambush spawns. Oh goodie. Thankfully Milady is so outrageously broken that I can probably have her sweep across the mountains to trigger them early and kill them, but still, that's only knowing that they exist. Hardly a point in the game's favor.

Right, time to just start early and see what I've got to work with:

...Game, what the fuck was the point of concealing the existence of those two distant wyvern groups pre-cutscene? Seriously, I do not get what the hell the developers were thinking, making the player prepare without even having the full info of what the first turn is going to look like or what the theme of the map is going to be.

Hahahaha... Roy, dueling Murdock one on one. Holy shit I wish that were even a remotely sane proposition. God, Roy is garbage. He's easily the worst lord in FE history. Leif? He's got scrolls, perfect availability in a game with stamina, a 1-2 range magical 60-use personal weapon he gets in chapter 1, a ton of support boosts, many of them to powerful characters, and innate paragon upon promotion. Micaiah? Staff utility, and she exists in a game without ambush spawns, so her fragility is far less of a nightmare. Marth? In every incarnation I've seen so far in the marathon, he's been absurdly easy to make broken by the end of the game. Eliwood? He promotes at least a little earlier than Roy and gets lances and a horse. Roy really is just useless. His stats right now are hot garbage, and adding 2 to all of them isn't going to make him even remotely usable. Granted, he's only level 17 and not 20, but that's barely gonna make a difference at this stage. Hence why I've been skimping on keeping him leveled. If he could have promoted earlier, I would have made him level 20 a lot sooner.

On the plus side, we're no longer in the realm of “every enemy has 19 or more speed”, so combat will be moving faster at least, and my slightly speed-screwed Lugh isn't going to feel like a slowpoke anymore. Seriously, I was tempted to use a speedwing on him, until I realized his brother is about as fast as him at the moment, and since they always fight together, if either one of them can't double an enemy, the enemies will just go for that one.

Honestly, I'm half-tempted to use the handful of stat boosters I've accrued at this point on Roy, just to see if he'll still be garbage if he's given +2 in all of the important stats before promotion. He probably will be, but I'm not using the things on anyone else at the moment, am I? And nobody in my army really needs speed now that the nomads are gone. I'll probably give the dragonshield at least to Milady though, since the distance between her defense cap and her defense growth (despite my high luck with defense level ups) is high enough that she could use it.

Speaking of which, wanna know how far Lance has fallen since his early promotion? In basically everything but constitution and move, Roy is only a little worse than him, and he's better than him in some things. The lesson here? Stay in school and don't do early-promotion drugs, kids.

Okay, so, I see a bunch of promoted magic users on this map, but none of them are using siege tomes except the one in the shrine.

Alright, I'm starting for real now, and I forgot to mention: Yoder's with us, and he's brought two of the remaining 3 divine weapons: the Saint's Staff and Maltet. Yoder apparently gets you the legendary weapon from the country you didn't go to, which in this case was Maltet.

Maltet is... well I mean it's a dragonslaying lance with some impressive stats. It's just a shame that the stat it boosts is skill, which is like infamously the worst stat point for point in the series. Even luck is arguably better in some games. Part of the reason why I think the hit rate formula should be buffed; to make skill matter more. I mean at least these are the games where the hit formula is double. In other games it's even more worthless!

...In fairness, when the hit formula is high like this, and when dodgetanking is possible, it also makes the game a lot more RNG-dependent. I feel a lot more complacent when I play this game than when I play others. But I'm sure there's a way to make the skill stat actually useful without turning the game into a crazy complacent RNG fest. And I certainly don't agree with the series' love affair with nerfing the hit formula back into the ground with every successive game since FE11.

Actually, that's another thing: I swear, every time IS remakes a new game, the next mainline game after it takes cues from that distant ancestor that it really, really shouldn't have, treating old features, or even the old absence of features, like brand new innovations rather than shit the series rightly moved on from decades ago. Remake Shadow Dragon? Kiss the rescue mechanic goodbye forever, and the hit formula has been in steady decline in every game since then, until Three Houses brought it back to 1 for 1, rendering the “dex” stat basically entirely pointless since a lot of your hit bonuses come from skills clogging up the skill slots.

Remake Echoes? Suddenly the series brings back the empty spectacle bloat of 3+ promotion tiers that are just increasingly slightly better versions of the same damned class, and also overpowered archer ranges, which I would argue are even worse than having underpowered archers, because at least before we had more variety; before, we had two weapon types who couldn't counter-attack every enemy, and now we have one class that can. I ask you, what's the point of hand axes when you make it so that, between 1-3 range mages and 1-5 range bowmen, the only enemies a throwing weapon adds to your counter list are other throwing weapon users?

God help us all when they remake FE4. There are a few terrifying scenarios of what “innovations” they could dig up from there.

But let's get back to the matter at hand.

So, the song for this level: Beneath a New Light. This is an installment in one of my favorite classic FE traditions: The triumphant endgame player phase theme. That one song that only starts playing near the final phase of the game, where the music is just cheering the player the fuck on. It gets all soaring, uplifting and glorious. There isn't even a hint of danger or fear or sadness in it. You get the feeling in all of them that the player has gone through those things in the past, but not now. This is the player's glorious moment of triumph, rising from the ashes after all of that. It is completely and totally optimistic, and the orchestra is entirely on the player's side.

It started with FE3's “Liberation”, followed by FE4's “Light and Dark”, and then FE5's “In Search of Victory ~ Leif”. And actually, way, way, all the way forward in Fates, “Alight” from Birthright was a really satisfying revival of this musical archetype that I was super stoked to hear.

...Unfortunately, “Beneath a New Light” is the worst song in the archetype. By far. And it's almost entirely due to the way it was executed. The melody itself is great, but a combination of the instruments and some weirdly out-of-key baseline notes make it almost embarrassing to listen to at times. It's amazing that so much of its charm comes through regardless. The updated version they put in Heroes and Three Houses is way better, to the point that in my Black Eagles ironman run, I had that shit playing for every auxiliary battle. Every. Goddamned. One.

Also, Yoder. Well, he's my best shot at getting to use the Aureola tome, but... honestly, at this point, I fail to see why I'd even bother. It's a handful of chapters before the end of the game, and I'm already gonna have legendary weapons for most of my best units anyway. Durandal for Rutger, Maltet for either Allen or Milady, Mulagir for Shin, Forblaze for Lugh, and Apocalypse for Raigh. Hell, even the Saint Staff for Clarine!

...Holy shit. Okay, first enemy phase, and my mind is suddenly racing wondering how the fuck you're even supposed to do this map if you don't have Milady. I have her, so I don't need to know the answer to this, but having so many powerful flying units rushing you with so little room to breathe seems extremely tricky if you don't have powerful, high defense units who can intercept them well before they reach your party.

...And a visit to the village gives me a knight crest. One of two in this chapter, making me question what the fuck the game expects me to be able to do with promotion items gotten this late. Might as well have given me a blue gem for all I can do with this.

Alright, I finally got the Roy/Lalum B support, meaning there are 80 fucking turns left to go to get the A support, and Lalum is... really clingy and annoying here. I mean it's kind of funny, but not in a way that makes Lalum an endearing character.

Ironically, despite all that shit I was talking about the skill stat, the first divine weapon I use even a single use of is Maltet, and I do it because its superior accuracy to a silver lance was necessary to secure a kill on a sage who needed to die if I didn't want to endanger yet another insanely lucky +Def level up from Milady. I was rewarded with another lucky defense level up for Allen, who's honestly made a comeback. I'd say he's better than Perceval now, with the caveat that he's got a way less badass piece of baggage who has to accompany him to bring out his full potential. But even on his own, he's great.

This wyvern spam is getting hilariously out of hand, which only makes it more ridiculous to me that apparently the game saw fit to hide even more behind proximity traps.

Milady gained yet another point of defense that I really, really hope I don't have to give up. Honestly, I can think of some characters I'd be willing to let die to not have to start this over.

...Like, say, Marcus. I brought him due to the ludicrously high deployment limit, hoping I could at least use the support bonus to see if I could do anything with Roy. I fucked up with his placement, and a wyvern rider dove right for him. Well, sucks to be him. I'm not restarting for Marcus after three consecutive +def level ups.

Echidna is tantalizingly close to S ranking axes, which is gonna be nice. It'll be good to at least partially vindicate deploying her all these times.

But what I'm absolutely terrified of having happen is cowering in the corner too long and provoking a rear ambush spawn that would make me lose more than Marcus. So I'm gonna get those wyverns out of the way as soon as I can and have Milady fly past my main army's path in advance to sweep for ambush spawns so they can get moving again.

Seriously, if they're as bad as people say they are, then fuck everything about this chapter.

I wound up using my first use of the rescue staff to get Milady safely back to base to restock on javelins without luring the swarm of wyverns anywhere near Merlinus. She had run out and that drastically reduced her ability to deal with these wyverns in a timely fashion.

HOLY SHIT WHY ARE THERE SO MANY FUCKING ENEMIES!?

Really, it's more of a danger of running out of supplies than anyone getting killed here. I managed to restock Lugh and Raigh with some rescue-drop shenanigans, but holy shit, I have never seen my weapons run out this quickly in a Fire Emblem game. The sheer density of enemy units is insane when you consider how powerful they are, and that even with almost every important stat capped, Milady still isn't one-rounding these guys with anything short of a silver lance.

I have rewritten this paragraph twice now, constantly changing my mind about what my plan is. Ultimately I decided to go through the middle of the map, after having Milady sweep the mountains for tripwires. Going between those mountains feels extremely dangerous and ominous, but I'm going to be going between mountains no matter which path I take, and I'd like to spend this extremely vulnerable part of my journey as far away from the edges of the map as I can, since experience dictates that's where ambush spawns most often show up.

Words cannot express how excited I am that after this game, we aren't going to have to deal with ambush spawns for a while. Not until FE11, because OH YES, THAT'S RIGHT, HOW COULD I FORGET!? THAT'S YET ANOTHER ARCHAIC FEATURE THE MARTH REMAKES INSPIRED INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS TO “INNOVATE” THE SERIES WITH!

...Calm down, Alastor... calm down... just focus... you don't want to have to restart this fucking chapter...

And Echidna can finally use Armads. That's going straight on her, just in case something bad happens. Maybe that +5 defense will keep her from dying.

It's turn 15. It's turn 15 and it's barely halfway over. Honestly, any chapter this long does not have any business trying to throw in a “gotcha” trap.

Both Clarine and Rutger can reach over 100 evade on forests, which is... extremely amusing, and basically allows Clarine to go wherever Rutger does with little consequences.

Fae can't go over mountains. It looks like her ability to fly over those walls in Chapter 19B was... just a glitch. A weird glitch and nothing more.

Okay. I am really scared now. Milady's gone all over the map, all over the mountains, and hasn't triggered a single tripwire. I know that wyverns fly out of the mountains, but now I just realized that what I've been having Milady do to secure the way hasn't actually been securing the way at all. MY ENTIRE ARMY COULD BE AMBUSHED FROM THESE MOUNTAINS THEY'RE TRAVELING THROUGH AT ANY MOMENT AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE TRIGGER IS.

THIS IS NOT FUCKING FUN, INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS. I DON'T LIKE PLAYING THE GUESSING GAME AS TO WHAT SHITTY TRICKS THE GAME HAS UP ITS SLEEVE.

Okay. They spawned. Either because I've taken a certain number of turns, or because I brought Roy to a specific spot on the map, Gale is here, with an army of wyverns from three directions. Moment of truth if anyone is in range of them.

...No. Thankfully, not only was no one in range, but nobody will be in range next turn either. I've been given just enough time to bring Milady over to keep them occupied while I rush the flying fuck out of that shrine.

So, I'm in the process of warping assassins in to kill the boss and seize the shrine (starting with Clarine and Rutger, the former rescuing the latter so I can drop them both in with one warp use and then split them to avoid speed penalties), and I ran into a curious glitch. You know how when you cycle through units on the info screen, and then you go back to the map, the map moves to the unit you were looking at the info of? Well if you rescue someone, warp them, look at the rescuing unit, then go to the info screen and press A look at the screen of the guy who was rescued, it'll go back to the space the unit rescuing them had been on before they were warped once you exit out of it.

Looks like Gale won't attack Milady. It also looks like they have a talk. I'll have to check that out before I finish the map. To buy time, I'm having everyone go behind the shrine to avoid being sandwiched between the three constantly spawning waves of wyvern riders. But I still plan to do this by warp skipping, no matter how many uses of the damned thing I have to use.

...The wyvern riders... don't attack Milady at all. None of them.

...And... And...

I somehow... either it was an ambush spawn or I failed a spot check, but one of them got right up to Niime and... one-shot her with like 10 extra damage to spare.

...No. No, I can't afford to lose her. Not at this stage. Not when she's carrying both my rescue and warp staff. I have to restart.

DAMN IT. That is... okay, that is super frustrating. To lose when I was so close to victory, and not even be sure if I can blame it on the game's stupid ambush spawns, or if it was my fault for not properly checking the ranges of all of the enemies. It's almost like the game's mocking my hatred of ambush spawns.

...And to make matters even worse, for some reason these wyverns are given weird AI where they won't even attack my best units, but just stop right in front of them or even pass them the fuck by. Are they deliberately coded to ignore all but my most vulnerable units so they can easily hunt down and murder Roy? If so, that is... that is not the kind of enemy AI you can introduce to the player at the last minute without telling them.

Okay. Well. Good news is, I mis-remembered. There aren't any proximity tripwire reinforcements waiting in the mountains on the way to the shrine, unless Galle's forces were proximity-based. Which means I can speed through this next time, and possibly even escape those reinforcements if they're timed rather than proximity-based, by going through it faster.

So next time I'll be able to get back to this point quicker, at least.

But next time is not fucking tonight.

Yeah, there's no way I'm gonna try and finish this in the next hour and fifteen minutes. There's no way it can be done. I'll have to finish this tomorrow, and then the final confrontation with Zephiel will have to wait until Tuesday. Hopefully I'll still be able to finish the game by the end of next week.

See you, guys.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Remake Echoes? Suddenly the series brings back the empty spectacle bloat of 3+ promotion tiers that are just increasingly slightly better versions of the same damned class, and also overpowered archer ranges, which I would argue are even worse than having underpowered archers, because at least before we had more variety; before, we had two weapon types who couldn't counter-attack every enemy, and now we have one class that can. I ask you, what's the point of hand axes when you make it so that, between 1-3 range mages and 1-5 range bowmen, the only enemies a throwing weapon adds to your counter list are other throwing weapon users?

Looking at Fire Emblem trends, they like to shake things up about every two entries, so it will probably be gone by the next one.

Maltet is... well I mean it's a dragonslaying lance with some impressive stats. It's just a shame that the stat it boosts is skill, which is like infamously the worst stat point for point in the series. Even luck is arguably better in some games. Part of the reason why I think the hit rate formula should be buffed; to make skill matter more. I mean at least these are the games where the hit formula is double. In other games it's even more worthless!

...In fairness, when the hit formula is high like this, and when dodgetanking is possible, it also makes the game a lot more RNG-dependent. I feel a lot more complacent when I play this game than when I play others. But I'm sure there's a way to make the skill stat actually useful without turning the game into a crazy complacent RNG fest. And I certainly don't agree with the series' love affair with nerfing the hit formula back into the ground with every successive game since FE11.

Of all the games you complain about Skill its this one, where the base weapon accuracy is so low that Skill feels relevant? I will also note that FE11-12 both had only 1 accuracy
per skill (nobody really noticed because of how heavily nerfed avoid was, and how high weapon accuracy was), so the 3/2 accuracy per skill of FE13-14 was really an increase.

Words cannot express how excited I am that after this game, we aren't going to have to deal with ambush spawns for a while. Not until FE11, because OH YES, THAT'S RIGHT, HOW COULD I FORGET!? THAT'S YET ANOTHER ARCHAIC FEATURE THE MARTH REMAKES INSPIRED INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS TO “INNOVATE” THE SERIES WITH!

Technically you have to get a few chapters into FE7 before ambush spawns stop (although 13x is the only chapter I remember that being in any way relevant). As for FE11-13 ambush spawns aren't on the lowest difficulties, and FE11-12 have map saves that can make it far less aggravating to deal with. The maps saves were rather clever when done right, as they play a bit of a dual role at times, not only acting as save points to reduce the frustration of an ambush, but also warning you about when to expect reinforcements to arrive.

It's turn 15. It's turn 15 and it's barely halfway over. Honestly, any chapter this long does not have any business trying to throw in a “gotcha” trap.

That is ominous to say when there is a 30 turn time limit to get the last Gaiden.

Okay. I am really scared now. Milady's gone all over the map, all over the mountains, and hasn't triggered a single tripwire. I know that wyverns fly out of the mountains, but now I just realized that what I've been having Milady do to secure the way hasn't actually been securing the way at all. MY ENTIRE ARMY COULD BE AMBUSHED FROM THESE MOUNTAINS THEY'RE TRAVELING THROUGH AT ANY MOMENT AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE TRIGGER IS.

Oh boy, this could get bad. Much like Cog of Destiny I like to look at the "trip wires" while doing this chapter, so if you want that follow the link:

https://www.fireemblemwod.com/fe6/guiafe6/ENG_cap21.htm

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Holy shit. Okay, first enemy phase, and my mind is suddenly racing wondering how the fuck you're even supposed to do this map if you don't have Milady. I have her, so I don't need to know the answer to this, but having so many powerful flying units rushing you with so little room to breathe seems extremely tricky if you don't have powerful, high defense units who can intercept them well before they reach your party

Gonzalez on the southern peaks basically solos that entire part of the map, as you mentioned the only real concern is running out of weapon uses. 

Also this map is the best use of warp to me; get above the shrine, warp in a boss killer, then warp in Roy and seize