Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Much better than the main game.

Future Connected was the proof for me that even a ten hours JRPG can be better than a +40 hours JRPG because it offered everything I liked: 

• good gameplay (though I prefer chain attacks from the maingame)
  • great characterization (including non playable characters)
  • focussed on the relevant aspects on the story without adding any superficial

I mean I wouldn't pay +50 € just for it, but these ten hours filled this story perfectly imo.

Fog of War in RD Ch. 2-2...yippee skippee.

If you could finish 1-9, then you should be able to beat 2-2 too.

You have some strong frontliners with Lucia, Mordecai and even Brom.

Just be careful with the transformation gauge of the two beast Laguz and Leanne, and you will be fine.

Fair warning: If you have trouble with this one, you won't like 3-6 at all.

Edited by Julian Teehee

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why is Candy in her swimsuit part of the intermission for the quiz contest held in Winter? 

I'm guessing it's not a result of an option where you can have everyone in swimsuits regardless of season, right? Cause Rune Factory 4 lets you do that, though iirc, it's after you beat Act 2.

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Because I kinda think his characters look ugly.

I think it's the eyes. The eyes have always been my least favorite part about Toriyama's human designs, i think.

But like, i still mind it less in Dragon Ball because in Dragon Ball, most of the characters are super buff and whatnot so it kinda balances out. You compare it to a Dragon Quest character, who looks more in-line with a normal person, and the eyes become much more appearent. I think.

Idk how well to describe this. But it's the eyes.

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

And finished Future Connected...

Tbh, and this might be a very hot take...

Much better than the main game.

Yeah, as far as hot takes go, this is probably one. I don't think i've ever seen one say they liked Future Connected more than the main game. The general opinion on Future Connected seems to be two things:

1. Yeah it's good
  2. It's disapointing

I personally find myself in the first category because i'm a shill i've been wanting to explore the Bionis Shoulder for a long-ass time and it ended up becoming my favorite area in all of Xenoblade 1. If you want to see what the area looked like in the Wii version (it was never accesible and also was kinda incomplete and even the parts that were complete sometimes differ from what ended up in Future Connected)

It was generally accepted at the time that this was supposed to be the link between Frontier Village and Eryth Sea, due to the file numbers, but Monolith Soft recently said "nah this map was never intended to be in the original game, it was just for testing purposes".

Just compare these 2 Time stamps. XBFC and YsO.

I can hear it yeah. Speaking of comparisons, this is within the same series, but the Gran Dell theme heavily reminded me of the Auresco theme from Torna, to the point that my brain actually thought they just reused the Auresco theme the first time i heard it.

-Nopons being Sharla and Reyn copy paste gameplay wise. Should've given us some unique stuff or made other characters playable.

Agreed. Everyone thought Tyrea was gonna be playable and if Nene and Kino were just Reyn and Sharla clones respectively, they could've easily just made Tyrea a Fiora-clone.

If there were only going to be four playable characters, they should've just gone the Xenoblade X route of just having four party members active at a time. Because otherwise i never used Kino on account of being a Sharla clone.

As for my main complaint about Future Connected, Gael'gar sucks so much. Genuianly the worst villain in all of Xeno and it's not even a contest imo. He has his own tier at the bottom.

Spoiler

The villain only getting wrapped up in an optional sidequest instead of the main story is not a good thing. Gael'gar is the only villain to do this in the series.

I'm going to assume you're probably gonna take a break before playing other Xeno games given how long they can go but when you do decide to jump back in, i do recommend playing Torna ~The Golden Country next. It's similar to Future Connected in the sense that it's a shorter story to service the main game but the key differences are

• It's a lot more expanded (15-20 hours for main story, around 50 hours for 100% and yes, the sidequests are actually good even if being forced to do some of them can be seen as annoying). I'd consider Torna it's own game, i wouldn't do the same for Future Connected.
    • Future Connected could've been expanded but then it would've had to be made DLC and Monolith didn't feel like making DLC for a definitive version of a game. Understandable.
  • Combat is similar to Xenoblade 2 but different enough that it actually feels different to play unlike FC which is just Xenoblade 1 combat but with Union Strikes instead of Chain Attacks
  • It's a prequel, meaning you can play this before Xenoblade 2 (even if it sometimes assumes you've played Xenoblade 2 prior, it's one of those prequels, but for the most part, playing it first is good)
  • You can buy it standalone if you want for $30 on the eShop (it's 3.5 GB) or $40 physically (if you get it physically, make sure it's a new copy so that you can get the code that redeems the DLC in Xenoblade 2)

If you want a full game, then it's just as valid to start Xenoblade 2 first but Torna does help ease into the combat, despite the major differences. That and some Xenoblade 2 moments hit harder if you have the Torna context (although likewise, some Torna moments hit harder if you have the 2 context). 

At the end of the day, you'd want to play both games since Xenoblade 2 and Torna were intended as a duology, unlike Xenoblade 1 and Future Connected, were the latter didn't exist until 10 years after the original game.

27 minutes ago, Caster said:

You people complain about any fog of war even if the map isn't hard

It's more that I dislike the mechanic in general. Some people may like it, but I don't.

And yes, the chapter was surprisingly easy. RD Part 1 taught me to be incredibly cautious with each decision, but 2-2 has such strong units (in comparison to the DB) that it's much more forgiving overall.

23 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

If you could finish 1-9, then you should be able to beat 2-2 too.

You have some strong frontliners with Lucia, Mordecai and even Brom.

Just be careful with the transformation gauge of the two beast Laguz and Leanne, and you will be fine.

Fair warning: If you have trouble with this one, you won't like 3-6 at all.

Yeah, it ended up being much less of a hassle than I had thought. One of the few chapters that I've managed to complete without resetting actually. Thanks for the warning though.

Edited by twilitfalchion

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think it's the eyes. The eyes have always been my least favorite part about Toriyama's human designs, i think.

But like, i still mind it less in Dragon Ball because in Dragon Ball, most of the characters are super buff and whatnot so it kinda balances out. You compare it to a Dragon Quest character, who looks more in-line with a normal person, and the eyes become much more appearent. I think.

Idk how well to describe this. But it's the eyes.

Yeah, I can see that. And I'm inclined to agree. The eyes do have an uncanny sort of look to them.

17 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

that even a ten hours JRPG can be better than a +40 hours JRPG

Absolutely! To me, game length has no bearing on the quality of it.
Sure, it's awesome that you can say you put 80+ hours into something like, for example, Persona 5 before finishing the story, but it's just as sweet to get an awesome experience that is only 10 or 20 hours long.

23 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

Future Connected was the proof for me that even a ten hours JRPG can be better than a +40 hours JRPG because it offered everything I liked: 

• good gameplay (though I prefer chain attacks from the maingame)
  • great characterization (including non playable characters)
  • focussed on the relevant aspects on the story without adding any superficial

I mean I wouldn't pay +50 € just for it, but these ten hours filled this story perfectly imo.

Definetly. Games don't need to be 100+ hours long to be good haha! Many Classic games prove that

Although for a +50€ game i rather get my 100 hours ngl xD

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If there were only going to be four playable characters, they should've just gone the Xenoblade X route of just having four party members active at a time

Definetly! Especially when you have 12 Nopons active in battle anyway xD

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Gael'gar sucks so much. Genuianly the worst villain in all of Xeno and it's not even a contest imo.

He was bad yeah, but...

Spoiler

we has still better than Zanza imo haha xD

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm going to assume you're probably gonna take a break before playing other Xeno games given how long they can go but when you do decide to jump back in

Probably during Xmas or something Unless i can find a good deal before it. And thanks for the info! I am one of those who usually like to play in release order, but i will think about it when i get to it^^

I will probably get them together if i can haha

Although for a +50€ game i rather get my 100 hours ngl xD

I totally understand this from the economical aspect.

Though to be fair I don't need games that long with my rather limited freetime.

30-50 hours games would be enough for me already, so I'm able to play more game series I like.

Sky FC and 3rd are rather short RPGs too which still offer so many (good) things.

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Absolutely! To me, game length has no bearing on the quality of it.
Sure, it's awesome that you can say you put 80+ hours into something like, for example, Persona 5 before finishing the story

This is the weakness of Persona 5 for me.

It's bloated with too many (unnecessary dialogues).

In my Royal playthrough I skip literally everything which is not new, but even if I hadn't played P5 for the first time, I would have skipped some dialogues because they just tire me after the time.

In average after each ten hours I start a dungeon means actual gameplay, means ten hours between reading through a wall of texts and running around in the landscape.

19 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

It's more that I dislike the mechanic in general. Some people may like it, but I don't.

I agree with you. It sucks, enough said.

4 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

This is the weakness of Persona 5 for me.

It's bloated with too many (unnecessary dialogues).

In my Royal playthrough I skip literally everything which is not new, but even if I hadn't played P5 for the first time, I would have skipped some dialogues because they just tire me after the time.

In average after each ten hours I start a dungeon means actual gameplay, means ten hours between reading through a wall of texts and running around in the landscape.

One thing that's daunting about Persona 5 is definitely the length on a replay.
I wasn't bothered by the lengthy dialogues too much on my first playthrough, because I did find all of it rather interesting, but I can see how that would get iffy if you replayed it. It's my main reason for not buying Royal, actually.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

FC took me 60 hours and 3rd 84 hours xD

If I consider trying to beat this stupid fishing game to get all the doors in 3rd, I would have spent more than 50 hours.

I'm still practicing... xD

Just now, DragonFlames said:

One thing that's daunting about Persona 5 is definitely the length on a replay.
I wasn't bothered by the lengthy dialogues too much on my first playthrough, because I did find all of it rather interesting, but I can see how that would get iffy if you replayed it. It's my main reason for not buying Royal, actually.

It was a gift actually.

I never would have played Royal on my own, even not just for Kasumi.

1 minute ago, Julian Teehee said:

It was a gift actually.

Ah, I see!

---

Continuing my journey through DQV, I came across a group of slimes who thought it would be a good idea to show me a group fusion, Digimon Xros Wars style.
So now I'm fighting this thing:
JCaTvoF.png

Huh.

Ahahaha xD

Yeah that game was...

something

You can say it in this way.

My wording would be a bit more direct means insulting.

I am melting right now.

It's not even the heat, but the jump of more than 10 °C within 24 hours hit me.

Though it shall become a bit cooler the next days.

Edited by Julian Teehee

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

And thanks for the info! I am one of those who usually like to play in release order, but i will think about it when i get to it^^

Might be a little bit tough with Xenoblade X because it being trapped on the Wii U. Emulation exists but I personally wouldn't place my faith on that since the more recent the console, the harder it is to emulate properly.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Probably during Xmas or something Unless i can find a good deal before it

Waiting until Christmas for a sale is probably a good idea. If there's any a time when Nintendo games go on sale, it's the holidays since that's like the one time Nintendo games are garuanteed to be on sale.

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You can buy it standalone if you want for $30 on the eShop (it's 3.5 GB) or $40 physically (if you get it physically, make sure it's a new copy so that you can get the code that redeems the DLC in Xenoblade 2)

I think the $30 version only works if you already have Xenoblade 2; the standalone is $40 both physically and digitally.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Agreed. Everyone thought Tyrea was gonna be playable and if Nene and Kino were just Reyn and Sharla clones respectively, they could've easily just made Tyrea a Fiora-clone.

If there were only going to be four playable characters, they should've just gone the Xenoblade X route of just having four party members active at a time. Because otherwise i never used Kino on account of being a Sharla clone.

As for my main complaint about Future Connected, Gael'gar sucks so much. Genuianly the worst villain in all of Xeno and it's not even a contest imo. He has his own tier at the bottom.

It seems to me that Nene and Kino being "clones" is a consequence of FC (and XCDE as a whole) being a side project for whatever game Monolith is currently making. Hopefully Xenoblade 3/X2/whatever it is will benefit from the additional resources Monolith got since Xenoblade 2 released.

Gael'gar having his own tier on the villain tier list reminds me that I tried to make a Xeno character tier list last week, but I lost my progress when I was almost done and I didn't get back to it. Maybe I should've made Juju and Tatsu top tier and called it a day.

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

think the $30 version only works if you already have Xenoblade 2; the standalone is $40 both physically and digitally.

So it is. I could've sworn the digital version was also $30. Guess I was wrong.

I was also wrong on the size. It's 3.2 GB, not 3.5.

3 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

It seems to me that Nene and Kino being "clones" is a consequence of FC (and XCDE as a whole) being a side project for whatever game Monolith is currently making.

Yeah that's very likely it. It also explains why XenoblaDE is basically just the original but prettier with some much needed QoL.

5 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Maybe I should've made Juju and Tatsu top tier and called it a day.

Lmao.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah that's very likely it. It also explains why XenoblaDE is basically just the original but prettier with some much needed QoL.

But they added a time attack mode! With tons of quality indeed.

26 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

But they added a time attack mode!

More like lame attack hahahahah gotten.

21 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

urge to punch

rising

Honestly, making Juju the face of Colony 6 reconstruction made it much easier to avoid that thing lmai

Lmao.

I don't think Juju is actually that bad but it's a meme to make fun of him.

Although on April Fool's this year, the community got together and produced a ton of JuJu fanart. Like, genuine fanart, not joke fanart. It was honestly pretty nice.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'm guessing it's not a result of an option where you can have everyone in swimsuits regardless of season, right? Cause Rune Factory 4 lets you do that, though iirc, it's after you beat Act 2.

I'm guessing that's a Switch only feature, since I'm pretty sure it's not there in the 3DS version.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Continuing my journey through DQV, I came across a group of slimes who thought it would be a good idea to show me a group fusion, Digimon Xros Wars style.
So now I'm fighting this thing:

Huh.

Ah, good old Slimification. You can also encounter regular King Slimes.

The best part is when the game does the same with Metal Slimes. Kinda.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

It would rain EXP if I could actually hit the little buggers before they flee the scene.

V doesn't have Slimification Metal Slimes. Which is bad since Slimification-Capable slimes won't run away as they call enough numbers to morph.

That said, they also have higher stats precisely to avoid being beaten all before they can, so likely you wouldn't be able to beat enough Metal Slimes before they morph. Then again, Metal King Slime. Though it can also flee.