Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

If I may inject some humor in these trying times

grcnkqctt5x51.jpg

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, I'm sorry. I hyped it up and then went to sleep without dropping a link. Maybe you've already found it by now, but here you go.

Looks neat. I take it it's already completed?

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I'm not sure that "well thought out" and "well designed" automatically go hand in hand. 

Just because its not as complex doesnt mean it isn't good. 

I didn't really mean complex = good. Again, if we use the FF2 comparison, the unique leveling system balances out the fact that heals can miss. In Thracia, heals missing don't really have any reason to other than

Kaga.jpg

Same with 1-99 hitrates and Fatigue. Some people defend that last bit with "oh it's so you are forced to change up your units" but nobody has a problem with using the exact same units in literally any other game in the series. Especially people who play for LTC and whatnot.

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The heals missing is only a problem for the early game. Once your healers get enough Skl, it becomes a non issue.

It's more about the fundamentals imo. In an SRPG, you want as little RNG as possible..... although I suppose that goes for any RPG. RNG will never go away but the less of it there is, the better.

It's why FE making the move from chance-based skills to command-based ones is only a good thing.

If RNG is a major part in some way, at least make it make sense with the mechanics and give some sort of workaround.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes. Being worked on still, but according to the creator there will be no more major updates. Just bugfixes and whatnot.

That's awesome.

Just now, Armagon said:

It's more about the fundamentals imo. In an SRPG, you want as little RNG as possible..... although I suppose that goes for any RPG. RNG will never go away but the less of it there is, the better.

It's why FE making the move from chance-based skills to command-based ones is only a good thing.

If RNG is a major part in some way, at least make it make sense with the mechanics and give some sort of workaround.

As little as possible? That's Heroes. No RNG growths, no RNG Hit/Miss, etc.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Well that's an extremity. But also Heroes is designed around that, I don't think anyone wants mainline FE to play like Heroes apart from no RNG skills.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I didn't really mean complex = good. Again, if we use the FF2 comparison, the unique leveling system balances out the fact that heals can miss. In Thracia, heals missing don't really have any reason to other than

Kaga.jpg

Same with 1-99 hitrates and Fatigue. Some people defend that last bit with "oh it's so you are forced to change up your units" but nobody has a problem with using the exact same units in literally any other game in the series. Especially people who play for LTC and whatnot.

But FF2's leveling system is crap. Xd

Even so, its luck, you're playing FE! Things like skills? Crit rate? Growths? All things that can fuck you, that doesnt change with staves in that game. It simply adds another layer of luck. And considering how broken staff users are in Thracia, a negative on them is a good thing. 

If your logic is a game isnt LTC friendly, well they arent designed that way so why does that matter? 

Just now, Armagon said:

Well that's an extremity. But also Heroes is designed around that, I don't think anyone wants mainline FE to play like Heroes apart from no RNG skills.

I'm going to agree neither extreme is good. Personally I'd rather we remove RNG growths altogether (SRW has never used them, for example). It's just that, Thracia's heal ones doesn't seem like that major of an issue. Specially with the formula it has.

Since I've been playing SoS I was trying to think of how one could blend FE and SoS into a single game. Partly, I'm interested in the idea, because the nobles who led Medieval armies and society were supposed to be great big landlords making their wealth off the soil, worked by other people, during peace.

The problem is that landlordism isn't SoS at all, you have to work the land yourself. And what of SRPG battles and ideally a story? Two things SoS lacks.

It sounds totally cumbersome, but I was thinking a solution could be three main characters, all of whom belong to the same family.

• The first is the firstborn child, the heir to the great family fief who engages in macro-managerial farming.
  • The second character is the one you actually get to create, the second child who, although not tonsured, is given an abbey to maintain. I'm no Medievalist, but didn't this sometimes happen? And given it's a small abbey, but one on very fertile land, it's here you get the smaller farm you can manage on your own, with the help of the named NPCs who also live in the abbey that you can befriend.
  • The last is the head of the noble house, who spends much of their time away doing battle.

How to integrate this bifurcated setup sounds difficult. Though I was thinking "abbey serves as a place for crop experimentation", you send the positive results of your experiments to the fief to be used on a wide scale there, the increased food production somehow improves your military standings during the war portion of the game. It's unrealistic for a Medieval setting, but from a gameplay perspective it doesn't sound bad.

However, bonding with named unique-portrait NPCs, bonding with named unique-portrait characters you can use in battle, marriage, these things I'm not sure how to properly include, and SoS and FE fans would want them.

This would probably be better as a 7/10 "needs better execution" Kickstarter independent game than an actual FExSoS (or Rune Factory) hybrid.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

But it has the most costly RNG of all- gatcha.

Not that it affects battles once you're in them. Though I did get into an argument with someone once where the other side seemed incensed by me standing by the gatcha aspect simply as meaning "FEH does have RNG", though I did make the above concession and that you have plenty of means to work around the gatcha in FEH.

16 minutes ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

Trump will use his *trump* card.

Whahahaha...

Stupid joke aside, it will end exactly as I forecasted.

What was your forecast?

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Even so, its luck, you're playing FE! Things like skills? Crit rate? Growths? All things that can fuck you, that doesnt change with staves in that game.

Skills are command-based now. Have been since Echoes and I doubt it'll change. Crit rate and growths are all basic RNG things, although ngl, after Acacia saying that SRW doesn't have RNG growths, I'd like to see that in an FE game.

But going back to fundamentals, in an SRPG, the things that the player does to themselves should always be a garuantee. Trading with their units? Garuanteed? Rescue? Garuantee. Heals? Garuantee.

Imagine if Trades could miss. "Oh whoops, I dropped the item, guess that's a turn wasted".

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

If your logic is a game isnt LTC friendly, well they arent designed that way so why does that matter? 

Well no, that was just an additional note. My main point was that people don't really care whether or not they use the same units again in a different run.

2 minutes ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

That the election will be decided at court.

Oh.

Yeah I can see that... I have a feeling that the result will be contested regardless of the result itself.

If I may offer my two cents on that, so far the electoral map is looking exactly like it did last year with the exception of one Nebraskan vote so...

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Skills are command-based now. Have been since Echoes and I doubt it'll change.

COUGHCOUGHCOUGHBerwickSagaCOUGHCOUGHCOUGH

...Ahem... Sorry, had a bit of a coughing fit there.

Anyway, not exactly an SRPG, but if you want a strategy game without RNG, take a look at Into The Breach. There is a grand total of one RNG mechanic, and it works in the player's favor.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Imagine if Trades could miss. "Oh whoops, I dropped the item, guess that's a turn wasted".

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see this. Just a little joke FE-like where literally every action can fail, complete with funny animations of people dropping their stuff and tripping over rocks.

Personal Skill: Klutz. For [X-(Skl+Lck)%], anytime you trade an item, it might be dropped and get lost somehow!

6 minutes ago, Kasumi Yoshizawa said:

That the election will be decided at court.

If it will end up that way, the incumbent will need to take it to lower courts first and not the Supreme Court right away. Business as usual for a guy like him to show his ignorance and/or contempt for established processes.

I'm aware of a DS SRPG I never played (though I somewhat wanted to) that was rated like a 6/10 called Rondo of Swords. One of the reviews I read said you had to send out units to do your shopping, the reviewer complained you had no control over what they'd buy.

Two of the things that interested me about the game were: that melee units attack all units they move past. And that narratively, the story (probably not actually that good) had the main character be the body-double of a prince who was killed and has to take up the cause of justice in their place, while keeping almost everyone from knowing the truth that he isn't the real prince.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, not exactly an SRPG, but if you want a strategy game without RNG, take a look at Into The Breach. There is a grand total of one RNG mechanic, and it works in the player's favor.

tenor.gif

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see this. Just a little joke FE-like where literally every action can fail, complete with funny animations of people dropping their stuff and tripping over rocks.

That would be pretty funny actually.

2 minutes ago, Karimlan said:

If it will end up that way, the incumbent will need to take it to lower courts first and not the Supreme Court right away. Business as usual for a guy like him to show his ignorance and/or contempt for established processes.

Yeah, despite the Supreme Court being conservative, they'll refuse a Trump lawsuit unless it went through all the necessary courts first. And given the sheer nature of it, I doubt it'll get there before January 20th. But maybe that's just me being optimistic.

Hopefully what happened in Texas on Monday sets precedent that even the most right-wing judges are judges first and partisan second.

tenor.gif

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/into_the_breach

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/48016/into-the-breach-switch-review

Has a 90 on Metacritic and is available on both PC and Switch. Only $15, though the reviews say it's purest, difficult SRPG gameplay and nothing more. Sounds maybe a little too intense for me.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

I've been playing some SGW lately...

Yes! Dew it!

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Lord girl didn't get even 1 point of STR in like 5 levels lol

But she keeps gaining Magic and she uses magic swords

still...

Oh, Astrea is absolutely better with magic swords. Magic benefits her even more post-promotion. My advice is roll with it. Better to have magic and no strength than no magic and no strength.

What other units are you using, out of curiousity?