Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Ever get fixated on a single chest you can't find a way to get to? Because that was happening, and the backtracking it involved led to me stumble on the first (hopefully of several) enemies to provide White Wind! Looks like it's been nerfed, it doesn't restore HP equal to the caster's current HP, but party-wide healing is amazing in the still-absence of Garnet.

Angel's Snack for party-wide ailment removal -provided shops eventually sell Remedies (they should be selling Hi-Potions already- why haven't they?)- is another nice Blue Magic. And affordable Auto-Life? Why thank you FFIX!😇 Throw in the aforementioned Mighty Guard, and early into Disc 2, Quina is set for support for the rest of the game.

I also noticed one NPC said "s/he" for Quina, indicating the big Qu thingy is supposed to be gender ambiguous. I'd heard of this before coincidentally, Quina uses "watashi" as their pronoun in Japanese, which is as gender-neutral (and most generic a choice of pronoun, it works in any situation) as it gets.

I forgot to mention that I noticed one of Freya's skills is called "Reis's Wind", which looks familiar. On a spear user, female, has "wind" in its name, in a Square game, yep, this has to be a mistranslated reference to Riesz, fair heroine of Trials of Mana. 

I had to turn to IRL matters right before I could take on what I assume to be another boss battle Celyra. Let me predict how things are going to go down.:

Spoiler

Returned amnesiac warrior Fratley who Freya loves will -I'll bet after the next battle with Beatrice- die against the evil sword lady. He will regain his memories as he lay fatally wounded in Freyja's arms, and she will swear vengeance, which she shall receive during the third final fight with Beatrice during Disc 3. Her desire for revenge will provide our Dragoon with her relevancy for the remainder of the game.

Oh, and for Garnet, I hadn't considered the summons being in her bloodstream, thought the pendant would've been responsible for those.

I'll return to play shortly, IX is sinking in for me, the momentum is building.

21 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

LU9vi8K.png

She's gonna be the token annoying enemy of that game, won't she?

Like Shoe guy in Yu

Cowgirl looks soooo out of place. And why the axe? Give her a horse and a gun and I'd see what a real dragoon would be like in a video game.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Wrong, everything is science. Math is simply a construct of that.

Actually, science is a construct.

Everything humans know, comes to them through their senses. The humans senses, it takes little to prove, are flawed and limited. Therefore, all our knowledge we cannot have perfect knowledge of anything.

Nature does not transcend our senses and speak to directly to us. We hear, smell, see, feel, taste, but the world itself does not answer. Never has a tree told us we should call it a tree, or label it a plant, or say it is brown with green leafs. We gave names to everything, including the brain itself, but the chemical compounds -themselves comprised of molecules that are made of atoms, and those atoms of quarks and bosons- that form the brain, have not told us we could label them as such. There is a world beyond our senses, that I feel confident to assert, but it is impossible for humanity to understand it as it is. 

Where then, is the value in science? Simple, it is a very useful construct. Science examines the sense data that arises from the things we cannot know, and forms concepts out of them. Concept that might reflect something about the unknown world beyond the senses. But more importantly save for the diehard scholars, those concepts are useful to us. The concept of the "seasons" based around the conceptual fields of "meteorology" and "astronomy", is useful for planning when humans should plant crops, take vacations, bust out the sunscreen or the snow shovel, because these things are good for human life to know.

Now, for science to be widely useful, it should be accurate. And thus, good science is accurate science, the more accurate, the better. Hence, we can abandon the notion placing things consisting of lies, madness, and psuedo-science on the same level of respectability as real, empirical modern science. We can have the Queen of the Netherlands touch ten thousand sick people because the touch of royalty will supposedly cure them and compare the result with the use of proven antibiotics and therapies on the same number of people. Modern medicine will be shown to be on the order of many magnitudes more likely to cure someone than the "royal touch", and hence the royal touch can be relegated to the trash heap of superstition, it, for any unbiased observer, will be deemed be wholly unreliable and hence useless as a construct.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I also noticed one NPC said "s/he" for Quina, indicating the big Qu thingy is supposed to be gender ambiguous. I'd heard of this before coincidentally, Quina uses "watashi" as their pronoun in Japanese, which is as gender-neutral (and most generic a choice of pronoun, it works in any situation) as it gets.

I forgot to mention that I noticed one of Freya's skills is called "Reis's Wind", which looks familiar. On a spear user, female, has "wind" in its name, in a Square game, yep, this has to be a mistranslated reference to Riesz, fair heroine of Trials of Mana. 

You'll soon find the ambiguity extends to the gameplay in some aspects, heh.

Like, Quina has both kinds of gender-related abilities work and not work on a case-by-cases basis, same for some gendered equipment.

It's not, actually. It's a reference to Reis Duelar, a Tactics character. Their Japanese names don't match either.

Reis in both Freya's skill and the Tactics character is レーゼ, while Riesz is リース.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

what? No more Justice messages? Or are those reserved for her majesty?

Yggdra confirmed to have also taken lessons from Cancer Deathmask.

WRVeSpz.png

(Not enough to change anything, huh?
If I think about it calmly, that is true...
But will changing things little by little like we've been doing really work?
No, it doesn't look that way at all.
What do we have to do to fix this messed up world...)

Hmm i see

So this is where his sparks for world conquest started i guess

Surprising just how much English is there even in the Japanese version.

It's the same thing in Japanese!YU, but still.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

TIL you can use the Radiant Dawn randomizer to disable the horrible hard mode gimmicks like "no enemy ranges" and... actually, that's it. No enemy ranges. Whose idea was that?

Anyway, looks like I might actually replay Radiant Dawn at some point. I hadn't intended on doing it, but this changes everything. If hard can actually fix the terrible Ike parts... huh. Who knows. Perhaps it will jump up a couple spots.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

TIL you can use the Radiant Dawn randomizer to disable the horrible hard mode gimmicks like "no enemy ranges" and... actually, that's it. No enemy ranges. Whose idea was that?

and no wepaon triangle as well

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, looks like I might actually replay Radiant Dawn at some point. I hadn't intended on doing it, but this changes everything. If hard can actually fix the terrible Ike parts... huh. Who knows. Perhaps it will jump up a couple spots.

Y'know, I never understood why this is such a huge deal. I personally dislike the lack of EXP and BEXP much more.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I doubt it'll shift your opinion, the difference between international Normal and Hard RD is just a few extra levels for the enemy, it won't suddenly turn Ike's stuff into strategic brilliance.