Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:
1udvx3mp o

Oh yeah, this is totally not luck-based, I can totally find a hole there and survive the attack, guys the green line shows me where the attack will go, it couldn't be any easier.

Literally duck where you are and it would miss you...or if it makes you feel safer go two triangles to the right. Or better yet take the advice Shrimpy gave you yesterday about the directional shield shard that blocks that attack entirely.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yes, I've got to admit, I am still peeved at Eltosian's post yesterday. See, the problem isn't the attack itself. The problem is that the proper attack pattern stays onscreen for (and I counted it) roughly 0.3 seconds. Yeah. If it stayed just a bit longer, then yeah, it'd be fair, but as it is, I simply don't have time to find a hole in the pattern and phsyically get Miriam to it in time. She's not that fast, you know?

Never said it was easy, just that it was about something other than just luck.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So all I can do is spam the lethal boots technique for the invincibility frames. And even then, that doesn't work when Bathin uses the attack right after filling the room with landmines, because then I jump right into a mine. It also doesn't work when Bathin lands on me after the attack. Oh, and sometimes it just fails because it wants to. It's not often, but it happens.

This is going to end up taking as long as Andrealphus, and I don't like that, because while Andrealphus required extreme reaction times and some AI fuckery, it was a legit well made boss that was fun to fight. This just isn't, I'm just rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

If you are relying on janky i-frame spam, I can see why you think its roll of the dice, but that sounds like it is more by your designs than the games.

3 hours ago, Benice said:

And I must say, DAMN the Four Kings are hard. Aside from the fantastic intro boss, this is the first boss that I can definitively say is a significant cut above something you'd fight in something like Zelda; you certainly die faster here than in something like Zelda, but death is an integral mechanic here and generally isn't too bad of a setback, whereas dying in Zelda is somewhat rare and the bosses don't end you particularly quickly; they can be much harder to actually defeat in terms of design-TP's Dark Beast, Demise, Girahim, etc. are all, in the sense of being difficult but not necessarily killing you, harder than a lot of what DS has featured so far. Don't get me wrong, most bosses have been fantastic, enjoyable, exhilarating, terrifying and memorable, and the music for them is wonderful as well. I just was expecting ~10 deaths on each one, especially when I was more blind, but DS ended up being more like something akin to a Zelda game with harder-hitting enemies than a gauntlet of pain. And you know what? If this were a Zelda game, it'd be danged fantastic, this game is largely brilliant. I like the dungeon-like design of the world, I like the puzzles (although they're of different nature) in certain areas, I adore the atmosphere, how gorgeous or stunning the game is at times, (Four Kings are something I'll never forget) and I like the way you interact with the world and find the story yourself. It's really engaging, especially if you don't divert from the intended route of Burg->Blighttown->Sen->AL so that the bulk of the story is fed a little quicker to give you a better idea of why everything is the way it is. Still it reminds me a lot of Zelda, but in a good way.

Its interesting how your experience with the Zelda franchise has colored your view of this game.

It's a game that I don't find to be hard to the point of being unfun most of the time, and it is legitimately one I could recommend to people who don't play many games, as long as they got a bit of guidance. There's a lot here I'd be stuck on were it not for guides, (I don't think I'd have thought to go to Sif to get an item to fight the Four Kings, for example, and a lot of NPC events and such are far too obscure-I have no clue how I would have returned to the Asylum since the only hint that you can is very vague and reaching that spot is really tough, thusly also locking me out of Ariamis, I would have just given the Lordvessel to Frampt and therefore would never see a bajor bit of the story, I'd have never found the Chaos covenant or known illusory walls existed, etc.)

The online messages can help clue people into some of its secrets, although they tend to get fewer as the game ages, and is played less, plus you need to be online for that aid, and can be very vague/esoteric. Also I think you are underestimating the learning  curve of the combat for those that don't regularly play games. Getting a feel for the timing of dodges (and their i-frames), or parries, and learning to read enemy tells is something that doesn't come naturally to everyone, especially to those that haven't immersed themselves in how games work.

my first playthrough didn't go well since I didn't know what I was doing, so not only did I go to the Catacombs first, but I had no clue which weapon to use and ended up being unable to do much damage with anything and died if anything poked me. This is my first sort of "Grown-Up" game, though, so maybe this is par for the course in games intended for people with brains and therefore expect a lot of thinking and tinkering. And the problem with the tinkering is that this game isn't particularly tinkering-friendly. Unless you do the Arrow glitch, of course!

Alas it isn't really the norm, as Dark Souls got its reputation for a reason...

The other thing I don't like is Tomb of the Giants.

Fair enough. I have joking said the platforming is the worst part of DS, and this feels like a similar sentiment.

Anyways, I think the Kings took me a good 12 attempts. Why does everyone meme about Ornstein and Smough? Smough's a great lumpy ball of jelly who can't do anything to you and can't keep up with Ornstein, and Ornstein's attacks are really easy to dodge through since they're just stabs that take a long time for him to recover from. Super Smough is pretty tough I suppose, but since you probably just got the ring of Favor and Protection, you should be able to survive a mistake while learning his moves or straying too close to his attacks.

There are a lot of people who act like Dark Souls combat is only designed for one-on-one fights, and I think they are the ones really memeing it, as I found the fight rather easy as well.

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Uh, when he asks you to join him, does saying "no" lock you out from anything?

I...don't know. Hopefully not...

• Replies 176.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:
1udvx3mp o

Oh yeah, this is totally not luck-based, I can totally find a hole there and survive the attack, guys the green line shows me where the attack will go, it couldn't be any easier.

Pretty sure this caused some slowdown on the Switch version too lmao.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

NCqnq9p.png

Oh shit, it's July 1st already.

40 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That is not the title screen of B. Saga, therefore I say it's not time.

Clearly in the future I must forego sleep entirely so I may be ready to push people to play Berwick whenever the opportunity arises.

Sounds like some brainwashing scheme!

21 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Literally duck where you are and it would miss you...or if it makes you feel safer go two triangles to the right.

What?

You serious? That would work? No way, that is way too small!

21 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Or better yet take the advice Shrimpy gave you yesterday about the directional shield shard that blocks that attack entirely.

I tried it, didn't work. Went right through the shield.

22 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

If you are relying on janky i-frame spam, I can see why you think its roll of the dice, but that sounds like it is more by your designs than the games.

I tried dodging, I honestly did, but half the time I got hit before I had time to get, and even when I got it to work more often than not the bastard landed on me after the attack. I ended up giving up and trying to find a way to cheese it, because it just wasn't reliable enough to try to do it legit. Heck, even the winning run was a cheese. He was going to do the landmine + super duper zoom wombo combo but I killed him before he could start.

I mean, I want to believe you. I'm loving the shit outta this game. I'd love for it to be my fault so I can call myself an idiot and continue to love the game. Just... doesn't seem like it to me, is all I'm saying. They really could've given you just a liiiiil' bit more time to even begin to process what's the pattern looks like. But, well, what do I know, I'm just some scrub.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Pretty sure this caused some slowdown on the Switch version too lmao.

You know? That would've been great actually.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Sounds like some brainwashing scheme!

Play Berwick Saga now

"Tell Minerva... to save... Maria... in my place... please..."

Uuhhh yeah... About that, Michalis...

Anyway, yeah, I've been playing chapter 21. Gone pretty smoothly. Also, something amazing happened.

Mg8dibrt o

Cecil managed to achieve single digit hitrates.

In DSFE.

Wow.

I know, it's an axe user against a swordmaster on a mountain, but still. This is not something you see every day.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You know? That would've been great actually.

Well the slowdown would affect you too so it wouldn't help much.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, yeah, I've been playing chapter 21. Gone pretty smoothly. Also, something amazing happened.

Mg8dibrt o

Windows XP background.

28xkpjnz o

This is Wrys.

I'm pretty sure Wrys has gotten no statboosters at all at any point of this playthrough. I didn't even given him the growth drop, in fact, I didn't give it to anyone.

He is above all of his averages by a good amount except skill and res. He's res screwed, actually. Then there's his 10 point magic lead.

Jesus.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:
28xkpjnz o

This is Wrys.

I'm pretty sure Wrys has gotten no statboosters at all at any point of this playthrough. I didn't even given him the growth drop, in fact, I didn't give it to anyone.

He is above all of his averages by a good amount except skill and res. He's res screwed, actually. Then there's his 10 point magic lead.

Jesus.

Amazing. 👏

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You sure?

Looks like its working in this run.

...Well.

It did not work for me. I do have it at a lower level than this guy, judging by the thing's side, but... I swear, it just went through the shield and hit me.

Ah, who cares. It's over now.

07.png

08.png

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
28xkpjnz o

This is Wrys.

Jesus.

Would be a shame if he took an arrow to the knee.

Screenshot_3962.png?width=852&height=432

Man, June was kinda a slow month huh.

♫ One of these is not like the others ♫

...although i suppose you can apply that to two games here, depending on what you're looking at.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, Zero Mission is superior to the others. XD

True.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Even after a month break i can't bring myself to ship Iinogami

Yeah same. 

Like i think the issue here is if the author is going for that, it needs to feel not as one-sided. Or rather, not one-sided at all.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

That said, I could also see Ishigami x Chika.

It's honestly a crime it's not Ishigami x Chika tbh. Like, they were literally made for each other, their chemistry is way too good.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Like i think the issue here is if the author is going for that, it needs to feel not as one-sided. Or rather, not one-sided at all.

Yeah. It's all Iino and no Ishigami

not to mention there's like 0 chemistry between them

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

B .   S A G A

Eventually…

Also hi.

Hi?

EDIT: noooooo damnit, he started Trails 2: Electric Trailgaloo. Damn you, need for sleep...!

Well, I had been listening to Silver Will (the premium arrange) recently, so it was inevitable.

Tbf, it was past midnight for me when I started.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

In any case, what did I miss?

I got a gaming laptop!

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

It's about time, you mean. XD

Shh! I watched a recap of the first game someone made, everything is okay!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Clearly in the future I must forego sleep entirely so I may be ready to push people to play Berwick whenever the opportunity arises.

What have I created…