Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

So FE Heroes finally decided to implement a counter to Edelgard, how sad.

Perhaps if she wasnt so busted in the first place, Maybe they wouldnt have needed to implement a counter? Seriously, how dumb can someone be? This is why I casually enjoy the game and can play as an F2P player.

• Replies 176.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Gaming laptop arrived!

This, this is what I have been waiting for. With this power, I can now play quite a bit I wanted to, like the rest of fe, the rest of Trails (in the Sky, at least), Berwick (and I guess the rest of KagaSaga but lol), etc. I don’t know what I’ll play first, though. Think of me as a kid in a candy store.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's the same word. Just, following English pronounciation rules. So a mess.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, how do you even call churros in English?

Just the word but how you would read the sounds in English, which is to say, the two Rs is a standard English r and ros is read like the word row with an s sound at the end.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Damn right it is. My uncle makes some great churros, too. Plate sized. You can eat one and have enough.

...I eat more than one.

Considering the fact that he works at Nintendo too, he sounds pretty cool.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You don't understand, Shrimpy.

They give me a medal for every boss I beat flawlessly.

You have made me proud, young one. Go out and get that Sooks%.

Edited by Sooks

Just now, Sooks said:

Gaming laptop arrived!

This, this is what I have been waiting for. With this power, I can now play quite a bit I wanted to, like the rest of fe, the rest of Trails (in the Sky, at least), Berwick (and I guess the rest of KagaSaga but lol), etc. I don’t know what I’ll play first, though. Think of me as a kid in a candy store.

792783082833969153.gif?v=1792783082833969153.gif?v=1792783082833969153.gif?v=1

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Gaming laptop arrived!

Hey there's this this little indie game called CrossCode.

Anyways congrats.

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Gaming laptop arrived!

YAY! That's great news!

(By the way, if you do decide to play the Yakuza games on your laptop, you may want to consider using Gamepass to play them as opposed to Steam; they go on sale fairly frequently, but Gamepass is probably more cost effective since you get all of them for essentially 10$.)

Speaking of news, I am no longer a freeloading, unemployed gamer! I have shedded the "unemployed" title, so now I am merely a freeloading gamer!

OHOHOHOHOHOOOOOO

@Eltosian Kadath

I decided to restart my playthrough of Dark souls...Again...Because I was feeling too powerful with my Club + Shield combo as well as using the arrow/soul glitch, so I'm playing as Gump the thief. I was using a Bandit's Knife, but I just got to the giant in Anor Londo, so I'm promoting up to Quelaag's Furysword, and THIS THING IS BLOODY AMAZING! It feels so nice to use, and it's way better than the knife was. I quite like the crit it has, though!

I also got the Crystal Ring Shield, just in case I want to use one. I'm about to head to a large fog door, so... Hopefully Quelaag's sword will come up clutch!

EDIT: I got Lautrec!

EDIT2: OH LORD OH NO OH NO IT'S ORNSTEIN AND SMOUGH AAAAAAAAAAAA

EDIT3: ...That was actually really easy. I got it on my first try. I ended up with Super Smough. Maybe I shoulda gone for Ornstein first to make it harder on myself.

... I managed to  die more times to Pinwheel than to Smornstein...

Edited by Benice

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Honestly, I'm kinda the same way. Granted, the only Mega Man (as in, Mega Man, not MMZ) game I've played to completion is Mega Man 2 and some bosses did require restore point abuse from me.

When I played through Mega Man Legacy Collection, and MMX1 Wii U VC, I tried to limit my save states to before the bosses, not during them, unless I absolutely had to. Sigma phase two being one instance where that became mandatory.

MMX in particular will give you a tough time with whichever boss you pick first, besides not being able to target their weakness, X decided to add more collectibles to stages, which meant reducing your starting health so Heart Tanks could be scattered across the levels.

And I will admit in the Azure Striker Gunvolt games, which have very Mega Man-like boss patterns, I have not beaten them without the use of Prevasion (as long as you have EP, take no damage), except for that one time in the first game where you absolutely must do the final level without that ability to get the true end.

It's because that seems like cheating, and that it undermines the "play for high score" attitude the games seem inclined towards, that I didn't get either of them after playing the ASG1 demo. I know "play games as you want to, there is no wrong way", but I can't shake that mindset.

54 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Perhaps if she wasnt so busted in the first place, Maybe they wouldnt have needed to implement a counter?

Thats gatcha for you, gradual power creep to move more pull currency. And whenever it gets out of hand, it the solution is more.

It makes any imbalances and corrections in Smash and other competitive non PtW games less bad by comparison. You don't have to buy Steve to counter Joker.

58 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Gaming laptop arrived!

You've beaten me to it. I'm still waiting on a slight sale, or something. Although now I'm a little concerned without evidence that the PC parts shortages might prevent me from getting the ideal laptop I'd want. I think I'll go and check them out in a store soon, to feel more confident about the pricey buy.

52 minutes ago, Benice said:

I have shedded the "unemployed" title, so now I am merely a freeloading gamer!

Enjoy your future until your hairs are grey if extant at all and you can retire to live out what remains of your life on a meagre fixed income! 😃

-Seeing another person employed here makes me feel more like a lazy parasite on society which isn't inaccurate. And not an X Parasite, that'd actually be cool.

I already have to contend it took me eight years to get a Bachelor's and its been two more without having a job. Well, there was one, but only lasted for a month, since it wasn't doing me any favors at all.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's because that seems like cheating, and that it undermines the "play for high score" attitude the games seem inclined towards, that I didn't get either of them after playing the ASG1 demo. I know "play games as you want to, there is no wrong way", but I can't shake that mindset.

I wouldn't say it undermines the "play for high score" style, as Prevasion doesn't actually stop you from losing score.

One of the difficulty modes does make it so you can't lose points from being hit but that's different.

This is my first post from the new laptop. It's so nice.

Speaking of nice, Steam automatically synced my save data for Trails in the Sky FC. Thanks Steam. Maybe I'll start with SC, since it's already in my library anyway.

I should grab Omori and the 3rd sky game while they're on sale though. And maybe anything else that catches my eye...

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

792783082833969153.gif?v=1792783082833969153.gif?v=1792783082833969153.gif?v=1

Indeed, that was my reaction too. I wasn't expecting it to arrive in the literal first day of the wide range of dates Amazon gave, it was a wonderful surprise.

Hey there's this this little indie game called CrossCode.

So I've heard...

Anyways congrats.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Benice said:

YAY! That's great news!

It sure is! Thanks!

(By the way, if you do decide to play the Yakuza games on your laptop, you may want to consider using Gamepass to play them as opposed to Steam; they go on sale fairly frequently, but Gamepass is probably more cost effective since you get all of them for essentially 10$.)

Thank you, although I think I'd prefer to just own them. Although it might be a better way to just try one to see if I like it.

Speaking of news, I am no longer a freeloading, unemployed gamer! I have shedded the "unemployed" title, so now I am merely a freeloading gamer!

Congratulations!!!

31 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You've beaten me to it. I'm still waiting on a slight sale, or something. Although now I'm a little concerned without evidence that the PC parts shortages might prevent me from getting the ideal laptop I'd want. I think I'll go and check them out in a store soon, to feel more confident about the pricey buy.

Well, this certainly was pricey. But we had recently gotten a lot of money, so there was room in the bank 😉.

I hope you're satisfied with whatever you end up purchasing.

Edited by Sooks

Ah. I see. So in Samus Returns, Ridley took a few lessons from the Ys 7 school of boss fights.

Why does that final phase take so long also it killed me so I have to do the whole fight all over again.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thats gatcha for you, gradual power creep to move more pull currency. And whenever it gets out of hand, it the solution is more.

It makes any imbalances and corrections in Smash and other competitive non PtW games less bad by comparison. You don't have to buy Steve to counter Joker.

I see it this way, if my only option to counter something like that is one option out of the hundreds there are, the game is going to get stale quick. 

I dont want to be forced to play one way in order to stand a chance. That's awful game design.

At least in Smash what you pay for is what you get, no exceptions.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

I decided to restart my playthrough of Dark souls...Again...Because I was feeling too powerful with my Club + Shield combo as well as using the arrow/soul glitch,

Fair enough, I was worrying that infinite souls would suck some of the fun out of the game for you, especially after how long its been since your last comment on the game.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

EDIT3: ...That was actually really easy. I got it on my first try. I ended up with Super Smough. Maybe I shoulda gone for Ornstein first to make it harder on myself.

The ending with Super Ornstein is generally seen as a harder fight (plus you get his ring at the end of it as well...).

Did you find the Blade of the Dark Moon covenant, and the optional fight with its leader, Dark Sun Gwyndolin?

Did you, or will you destroy Gwyndolin's illusion on Anor Londo by attacking the lie that is Gwynevere?

33 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Did you find the Blade of the Dark Moon covenant, and the optional fight with its leader, Dark Sun Gwyndolin?

Not yet, but now knowing that it exists, I might!

Did you, or will you destroy Gwyndolin's illusion on Anor Londo by attacking the lie that is Gwynevere?

...I'll meet the other serpent bloke first before I commit to treason.

especially after how long its been since your last comment on the game.

Well, it's mostly 'cause I didn't wanna spam "RRRGGHHH" because of the Tomb of Giants and the spinning skeletons. I think I am low-key addicted to the game, though. And Anor Londo is probably the most beautiful location I've seen in a game as of yet.

Edited by Benice

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I guess one thing I forgot to ask is did you enter the painted world of Ariamis while exploring Anor Londo?

I did, yeah. I didn't have the heart to give Priscilla the chop, though.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

I did, yeah. I didn't have the heart to give Priscilla the chop, though.

Fair enough. As a fan of Scythes, I generally kill her to get access to the Lifehunt Scythe. Her boss fight is rather odd as she turn invisible, and you have to pay attention to the tracks she leaves in the snow to figure out where she is.

50 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I see it this way, if my only option to counter something like that is one option out of the hundreds there are, the game is going to get stale quick. 

I dont want to be forced to play one way in order to stand a chance. That's awful game design.

At least in Smash what you pay for is what you get, no exceptions.

What makes Edelgard so broken, exactly?

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Fair enough. As a fan of Scythes, I generally kill her to get access to the Lifehunt Scythe. Her boss fight is rather odd as she turn invisible, and you have to pay attention to the tracks she leaves in the snow to figure out where she is.

I mean, I still was making my life really hard by using the really bad +10 Bandit Dagger, so she'd probably have turned Gump from the Chosen Undead into the Chrosen Smoothie.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Thank you, although I think I'd prefer to just own them. Although it might be a better way to just try one to see if I like it.

Yakuza 0 is just ~6 USD right now due to the summer sale (As opposed to 24), so even if it's just to have it in your backlog, it could be a good time to grab it.

I don't even mean to try to push you to play it I KNOW IT'S COMING ACROSS THAT WAY BUT IT'S NOT ON PURPOSE

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yakuza 0 is just ~6 USD right now due to the summer sale (As opposed to 24), so even if it's just to have it in your backlog, it could be a good time to grab it.

That is a very good point.

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

I don't even mean to try to push you to play it I KNOW IT'S COMING ACROSS THAT WAY BUT IT'S NOT ON PURPOSE

It’s not coming across that way.

Anyway, here’s a 10 thousand word essay on why you should play the entire Banner Saga trilogy.

Samus Returns is fantastic and i can't wait to see what the team improves on with Dread:

By this point, it's no surprise that 2D Metroid has consistently been based ever since Super Metroid. Samus Returns, the remake of GameBoy game Metroid II, continues that trend. As far as remakes go, this game could be compared to Fire Emblem Echoes (hey look, both of them came out the same year) where the original game was as barebones as barebones could be and so the remake is really more of a reimaginaing. It's still Metroid II but much like the Metroids in the game, it's evolved to something more.

What's interesting about Samus Returns is that the combat takes a more gradual approach. In the other 2D Metroids, even when you weren't actually at full power, it still kinda felt like you were. Not the case in Samus Returns, as Samus feels noticeably at her weakest at the start of this game (which is ironic since Fusion is actually when she's at her weakest). However, as you progress through the game, you get stronger and soon enough, you're back to how it feels like it should be. Combine this with the Counters (which admittedly do take some getting used to as they are the ideal way to kill until you get the Plasma Beam) and the Aeion abilities and you've got some pretty solid gameplay (especially since Scan Pulse is super based and they should keep that in future games). But what was most fun for me was the Morph Ball. I love how versatile it is in this game and it's mainly due to the Spider Ball upgrade.

The music has also seen some good stuff here. While the soundtrack isn't consistently as good as in Zero Mission, the remixes of existing tunes and brand new ones are pretty good. For example, the Lower Brinstar theme from Super Metroid shows up and in that game, i thought it was pretty unmemorable. Not bad, just unmemorable. But in Samus Returns, when it showed up in Area 4, i loved it. And speaking of remixes, i love that some of the songs incorporate the literal beeps and boops from Metroid II's """"soundtrack""'. And it's the music that really adds to the atmosphere of the game and i gotta say, i do not understand the notion that Samus Returns "doesn't capture the atmosphere of Metroid II". Because imma keep it real with y'all: Metroid II did not have atmosphere. Yes, there are games where the technical limitations add to the atmosphere but Metroid II is not one of those games and even if it was, it's not worth it to play on a tiny-ass screen where everything looks the same because no color and also no map.

I think where Samus Returns does fall short is the bosses. Most of them are various evolutions of Metroid. And by most, i mean only two bosses aren't Metroids. Fighting a Metroid evolution the first time is cool. Fighting it the fifth time isn't. And you have to do this 40 times. Even Fusion's bosses that take place in the narrowest of rooms were better than this. That being said, the low boss quality isn't a huge dent on this game.

Samus Returns is yet another fantastic addition to the 2D Metroid line and i absolutely can't wait to see what MercuryStream improve on with Metroid Dread.

9/10

Anyways 2D Metroid rankings now that i've played them all: Zero Mission > Samus Returns = Fusion > Super. 

I will play the Prime trilogy and Other M at a later date. Will take a break from Metroid for now. I will probably play Other M when i resume tho. I need to see it for myself.