• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Idk, with the abundance of Cavaliers and Knights allergic to the rapier and the abundance of axe units in the Western Isles, Roy does just fine.

Not really. The rapier only has 5 might, and with Roy's horrible strength, we're looking at might in the 20-25 range for the earlygame. And don't forget, Roy suffers WTD against most cavaliers and knights. He will deal very mediocre damage against them and take a crapton of hurt in return, which I guess is more than what Shanna can manage, but you compare him to Dieck with like a steel sword and it's not even a contest. And without the rapier? Don't even bother, he won't do anything.

Heck, the one time you probably would love the rapier is against chapter 4's nomads... Except the game trolls you by going "nope, these guys ain't riding horses." The one time Roy would've been legitimately useful, and the game just doesn't let it happen for some reason. What a shame.

As for the Western Isles... That's not really true, actually. There's plenty of swordies and lancers in the Western Isles, not to mention the one berserker that you really don't want Roy to face off against. It's really only chapter 9 where he can do some shit, due to the pirate spam. But he's still worse than everyone else at it, and you'd prefer to give all that easy pirate experience to people who can actually promote.

Everywhere else he's completely useless.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'd say he does best in the early to early-mid game, falls off during the mid-game but gets back up during the late to endgame.

He does best in the earlygame, period. And his "best" is really just the worst sword infantry in the game. Even Ogier would be better than him if he were to replace him, and with folks like Alance, Dieck and Rutger running around in the earlygame, Roy doesn't have much he can do. In the final couple of chapters the binding blade sort of carries him, but his super low stats hold it back significantly.

I mean, don't get me wrong, he's not Wendy. He doesn't get one-rounded by archers in his join map. But he's still one of the worst units in the game and a worthless liability once you leave the earlygame's axeland. Heck, even there he's not much more than mediocre.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Heck, swords are the best weapon in FE6 so being swordlocked isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Ergh... No, I don't think so. Swords only look good because Rutger and Dieck have swords. Swords still suffer WTD from a lot of enemies, have low might and have really shitty ranged options (as in, literally just the weird-ass light brand that is locked to 10 damage at range). Being swordlocked is not good, it just so happens that the main FE6 swordies everyone remembers have ridiculous stats to make up for it. Roy suffers greatly from his swordlock.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

To be honest, I never felt that the late promotion is that big of an issue. I mean, it is an issue, sure but late promotions is something that all of the Lords in the GBA era got, relatively speaking.

Yeah, and they all suck, but Roy pushes it even further by having either three or literally just one chapter left to play around with his minor stat gains. And Roy isn't likely to reach his unpromoted caps, quite the opposite.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I guess it would be more accurate to say the gains aren't as good rather than saying the late promotion itself is bad (but at least he actually gets multiple points to each stat haha *cough Leif FE5 promotion *cough*).

Leif doesn't need much more than that because in his game all stats cap at 20, and his experience gains after promotion are huge, so he'll be gaining levels in no time to make up for the difference. Not to mention, he can use scrolls to improve his chances of not being worthless, he can use magical swords to get stuff done, he carries Manster, he supports half the army and he can use the kingsmaker for even more support.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Meanwhile Sage promotion: + whopping 6 MAG 😄

Thracia is a fickle game.

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Leif is imo one of the best designed lords in the series

Roy is not one of the worst, he is the worst designed one

Yeah, this. Honestly, I struggle to see how people thought Leif vs Roy was a reasonable discussion for so many years. Like, the light brand already makes Leif better. I know we used to think stuff like "Neimi > Innes", but this is one hell of a stretch!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In the final couple of chapters the binding blade sort of carries him, but his super low stats hold it back significantly.

20 Roy:

33/12.6/14.5/14.6/18.4/9.75/5.7  HP/Str/Skl/Spd/Lck/Def/Res

20 Alan (To pick one of the two good early Cavs):

37/15.55/11.6/14.55/10.6/11/2  And 3 more Con.

20 Normal Mode Rutabaga (no need to early promote):

35/12/20/20/7/8/3 And 1 more Con.

20 Ogier:

39.5/15/18/14.5/10/9/3 And 7 more Con.

So his HP and Str are a bit low, but otherwise not that bad, enough to avoid OH/RKO probably. It's the promotion timing that kills these.

14 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Leif is imo one of the best designed lords in the series

His bases are absolutely lacking and he doesn't have Mareeta growths & skills on his side. So I don't quite understand this sentiment. I showered favoritism on him, and gave him the often advised gift of the pre-C4 HP and Spd stat boosters, but I can't see beyond this and not dying when attacking b/c Light Brand range as to anything good in him.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So his HP and Str are a bit low, but otherwise not that bad, enough to avoid OH/RKO probably. It's the promotion timing that kills these.

Yeah, if he promoted at a reasonable time it'd be fine. The problem is that he promotes in the potentially final chapter, and by then his stats are horrible. He'd need to cap every single stat before promotion to remain adequate.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

His bases are absolutely lacking and he doesn't have Mareeta growths & skills on his side. So I don't quite understand this sentiment. I showered favoritism on him, and gave him the often advised gift of the pre-C4 HP and Spd stat boosters, but I can't see beyond this and not dying when attacking b/c Light Brand range as to anything good in him.

In addition to light brand:

-Scrolls

-supporting more than half the cast, so still has some use even if weak combat/rng screwed. Add kingmaker and wew boy you got a support machine

-thracia wta/d being weak

-enemies in Thracia super weak

-low thracia caps

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ehhh. I'd say they're about even. Eirika benefits from getting a horse on promotion and from being in an even easier game, but they're both pretty garbage, honestly.

SS is so easy Eirika doesnt need strength to kill pretty much anything from that game! Lyn isnt so lucky.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

'Morning! I'll be leaving for backpacking later today, so I'll either be back about Saturday, or I'll be back tomorrow because it's too smoky to go!

Have fun and be safe!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I know we used to think stuff like "Neimi > Innes"

Wait… what? Is that an exaggeration or was that at one time an actual popular opinion?

You know, one thing I've been appreciating about SoHaE is its difficulty. I know it's going to sound out of character, but compared to all the ball-crushing, unforgiving hacks out there, it's a really refreshing change of pace to play something like this, with very moderate difficulty. It's not quite boring like PoR, but it's not so difficult that I find myself struggling. Pretty nice.

...Well, except for the last chapter. Last chapter was super fucking intense, oh my God. Took me a bunch of tries! I think I know the problem here: The beard power of my team is inexcusably low. The Jeigan's goatee and the wyvern lord's beautiful stache are the only contributors. This is simply unacceptable. I must find a proper beard!

8dbjsfiw o

...There it is. Look at that thing! You can't even see his mouth! Magnificent, absolutely fucking magnificent! 10/10, goddamnit!

Skrbbbmm o

Who cares if he's a meh prepromote general when my team is already full? I'm definitely booting someone for that beard. I'm also probably gonna give the boots to that beard. Because fuck it. Beard.

Thanks, Kent. Really appreciate it. I mean, I would've taken you too, you grew a very nice moustache in the past 20 years, but this is something else!

Just now, Sooks said:

Wait… what? Is that an exaggeration or was that at one time an actual popular opinion?

For many years the general consensus was that 99% of prepromotes were automatically useless garbage and any growth unit would be extremely better than them. So yeah. Neimi > Innes was a common opinion. It took stuff like Wendy and Sophia for people to begrudgingly admit that the prepromote was better.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Yeah, this. Honestly, I struggle to see how people thought Leif vs Roy was a reasonable discussion for so many years. Like, the light brand already makes Leif better. I know we used to think stuff like "Neimi > Innes", but this is one hell of a stretch!

Yeah, I personally feel like Reese is a much better point of comparison to Leif, because they're decent combat units on the whole with really high potential and ally supporting.

Not really. The rapier only has 5 might, and with Roy's horrible strength, we're looking at might in the 20-25 range for the earlygame. And don't forget, Roy suffers WTD against most cavaliers and knights. He will deal very mediocre damage against them and take a crapton of hurt in return, which I guess is more than what Shanna can manage, but you compare him to Dieck with like a steel sword and it's not even a contest. And without the rapier? Don't even bother, he won't do anything.

Heck, the one time you probably would love the rapier is against chapter 4's nomads... Except the game trolls you by going "nope, these guys ain't riding horses." The one time Roy would've been legitimately useful, and the game just doesn't let it happen for some reason. What a shame.

As for the Western Isles... That's not really true, actually. There's plenty of swordies and lancers in the Western Isles, not to mention the one berserker that you really don't want Roy to face off against. It's really only chapter 9 where he can do some shit, due to the pirate spam. But he's still worse than everyone else at it, and you'd prefer to give all that easy pirate experience to people who can actually promote.

Everywhere else he's completely useless

Idk, in like the six runs I've done of the game, I've never actually had trouble getting him to work decently. Boots pretty much has always solved the issue for me.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Roy is not one of the worst, he is the worst designed one

Micaiah says hi.

But that's because she (and everyone else in the DB whose name isn't Nailah) gets fucked over by Radiant Dawn's structure.

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

For many years the general consensus was that 99% of prepromotes were automatically useless garbage and any growth unit would be extremely better than them.

Probably because "you have to wait until Lv.20 to promote" was (is?) a common mindset and since pre-promotes can't promote in most of the games, it's easy to see how that line of thinking came to be.

1 minute ago, Spara said:

Yeah, I personally feel like Reese is a much better point of comparison to Leif, because they're decent combat units on the whole with really high potential and ally supporting.

Reese is also in a completely different kind of game tho.

It's really hard to compare Berwick to FE outside of like, writing.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Micaiah says hi.

Eh, Micaiah can do some staffbotting and chip from range with magic. That's more than what Roy can do.

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Probably because "you have to wait until Lv.20 to promote" was (is?) a common mindset and since pre-promotes can't promote in most of the games, it's easy to see how that line of thinking came to be.

Yeah, people back in the day thought growths were everything that mattered. Those were silly days.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Man, that brings me back. The arguments of the turn of the millennium. SF may not have existed yet, but I was already browsing places like GameFaqs.

Arguing about units being bad is something that never gets old.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Arguing about units being bad is something that never gets old.

War... Tier List War never changes. But parameters do, through the games they play.

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Miccy has acces to sacrifice (staved on promotion), BEXP and a pretty good PRF Tome

Too bad she gets one-shot by anything that has a pulse after Part 1. Not even one-rounded, literally just getting tapped on the shoulder is enough.

Like at least Roy can fight back.

The DB sections of Part 3 really should've been balanced more.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Eh, Micaiah can do some staffbotting and chip from range with magic.

Assuming she has the appropriate levels for it.

I gave her Purge during Endgame and she couldn't use it lol.

37 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

And yeah Inevitable Struggle isn't the silver will of Crossbell 😛

you will hear that one in Ao

Alright, that's something to look forward to!

Also: 

Spoiler

I knew Rixia was Yin pretty early on. That was a bit too obvious.

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:
Spoiler

I knew Rixia was Yin pretty early on. That was a bit too obvious.

good thing they didn't keep hiding it for 10k years like many other games do

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Man I wish my Micaiah could do that.

BEXP

PEMN

PEMN?

Personal Experience Means Nothing?

Edited by Shrimperor