• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It's that they take their patriotism just a little too far in a rather uncomfortable direction

I mean, Typical Worldcup/Eurocup season then? Or more than that?

Then again i also ''fall in line'' during that time so to speak lol, and it becomes more festive than uncomfortable patriotism...

Well, aside from that one teacher that one time...

Edited by Shrimp γ

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

I kinda think the entire series completely fails at making difficulties above Hard anything even remotely approaching fun (and in Conquest's case, the entire thing is just miserable, no matter the difficulty. To me, at least).

As a person who's beaten Maddening and has frustrated himself with Fates on Hard across all routes..... Yeah I'm an awful judge of these things.

Maybe DSFE would be different, but I'm honestly doubtful it'd help my chances of getting used to it.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I don't even play FE on higher/the highest difficulties, honestly.
I kinda think the entire series completely fails at making difficulties above Hard anything even remotely approaching fun (and in Conquest's case, the entire thing is just miserable, no matter the difficulty. To me, at least).

True take right here, "fake" difficulty is not the way to go imo.

Also right that Conquest is just not great. XD

Look! Look! I did a thing! The Next Gen Formation skills between Nep and the other CPU's aren't terrible anymore!

172d705e01f308efd64297e6ff89c12f.jpg

They are now all the element of the corresponding CPU, making for some interesting options with weakness!

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

True take right here, "fake" difficulty is not the way to go imo.

Also right that Conquest is just not great. XD

Here's the thing, what do we count as true difficulty for FE?

Changing things to make opponents tougher would make sense, but it's an issue of what and how much. Obviously unbalanced stat increases, ambush reinforcements, stupid numbers of enemies and for some BS skills tend to get people's goats. But I don't see what is the correct balance for us. Maybe part of that is because I suspect that can't ever have one objectively correct answer (I mean, it probably has 0 ambush spawns, but still)

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

and for some BS skills tend to get people's goats

This, mostly. If it's something both sides have access to, then it's fair game. Otherwise, BS.

ofc this isn't just a Fates issue, Awakening and RD have this as well.

2 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

FZDv6Ch.jpg

lmao.

Edited by lightcosmo

For me Conquest and Berwick did difficulty best, even if they are completely different from each other, and Berwick is quite a bit easier, they have a kinda similiar approach to design

• No ambush
  • no stat inflation
  • difficulty in map design/gimmicks, enemy compisitions and enemy skills

Yeah both games have major stinkers and their problems, but it's the closest to what i expect from FE, so to say

But that's just me

Edited by Shrimp γ

1 minute ago, Shrimp γ said:

FZDv6Ch.jpg

"A charming mix of Teehee and bloodshed, sure to impart it's important messages through this and more upon the audience as they watch the tale unfurl, watch as our protagonists walk down the trails of their fate and ask themselves important questions like "who are the friends we can trust?", "Can a mech be a suitable giant opponent?" and "what is a Fire Emblem, again?"" - Dai Yanni, Forest Crit Equ

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

This, mostly. If it's something both sides have access to, then it's fair game. Otherwise, BS.

See, I don't fully agree that all skills have to be available to the player.

But then again, I hate profusely that Iago breaks class rules by having staves.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Kylgx5yt o

Nice! XD

4 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

I mean, Typical Worldcup/Eurocup season then?

Basically that.

In addition to the fact that, outside of team-based contests (which do exist), the individual athlete is much more important in winter sports, and I just find it kind of unfair - and just plain bad commentary - to only focus on the German athletes on commentary... especially when ZDF does it leagues better than ARD, giving every athlete some semblance of attention, as well as analyzing what they do, no matter the nationality. Especially when it comes to stuff like ski jumping, which is VERY much an individual thing (they even show each and every athlete's jump), I want to know how each athlete did, what their mistakes were, what they did right - ZDF does this for everyone, ARD does it... only for the Germans.

And we have some VERY good athletes in winter sports. Really cool people, too. I'm happy for each and every one of them when they have a good day or pick up a win.
But man if it isn't hard to see them win, because I cannot stand this insufferable smugness of German commentators and media whenever they do.

Then again, nationality was never a particular priority for me when it comes to rooting for someone in a particular sport.
As in, I never really gave a crap about what country someone was born in.

12 minutes ago, Dayni said:

As a person who's beaten Maddening and has frustrated himself with Fates on Hard across all routes..... Yeah I'm an awful judge of these things.

Maybe DSFE would be different, but I'm honestly doubtful it'd help my chances of getting used to it.

I'm far from an expert on this myself, because Conquest Hard was the most miserable gaming experience I ever had in my life.
I think me just plain despising the story and 80% of the cast didn't help, but still. The game just wasn't fun. At all.
And like I said, I have never played any FE on any difficulty higher than Normal or Hard (depending on the game) before or since, so... yeah. XD

10 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Look! Look! I did a thing! The Next Gen Formation skills between Nep and the other CPU's aren't terrible anymore!

172d705e01f308efd64297e6ff89c12f.jpg

They are now all the element of the corresponding CPU, making for some interesting options with weakness!

Oooh, nice!

9 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

difficulty in map design/gimmicks, enemy compisitions and enemy skills

This is where Conquest goes too far, for me.
You have so much stuff to pay attention to, it just gets tedious, and if you miss out on one tiny little detail or the RNG decides to fuck you over, you can lose an hour worth of progress on an already overly long map, just like that.
Not for me.

Then again... I'd like to play Conquest with a better story and a MUCH better cast of characters, maybe I'd feel differently about it, since a cast of characters I hate is one of the biggest demotivators for me to play a game (see my refusal to play Mary Skelter 2 because of the shitty MC).
Part of the fun of FE for me is the story and characters. If those weren't there, I might as well be playing chess.
Thus, I find myself unable to separate them from the gameplay, which I suspect might be the main reason why Conquest was and is so damn frustrating to me.

But I've talked about this ad nauseum, and you guys must be sick hearing it, so I'll shut up now.

Holy shit chapter 16 of Fred Jones was super tough. I managed to scrape by by playing aggressively, and even then, Eleano got killed yet again (seriously that girl can't take a hit for shit) and Kazaha got shot down because the wrong person stepped on a bear trap.

Thankfully, this next map seems to be a preparations map, so they can recover without missing out on a real map! Neat.

13 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

FZDv6Ch.jpg

Ahahahahahahahahahahah

6/10 needs more Garon.

10 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

For me Conquest and Berwick did difficulty best, even if they are completely different from each other, and Berwick is quite a bit easier, they have a kinda similiar approach to design

• No ambush
  • no stat inflation
  • difficulty in map design/gimmicks, enemy compisitions and enemy skills

Yeah both games have major stinkers and their problems, but it's the closest to what i expect from FE, so to say

But that's just me

Yes.

Berwick and Conquest good.

44 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Good to know there's another Gharnef. Sorta

Ruben, you forgot the biggest Gharnef of all: me. I hate Kaga games 👍.

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

am aware of this thing's existence.

Not much more beyond that.

It started off good but got hit by the Shounen Jump curse of going on for too long and it kinda sucked. Or so I hear.

35 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

kinda think the entire series completely fails at making difficulties above Hard anything even remotely approaching fu

Same but turn-based RPGs in general.

Way too easy to become a statfest.

23 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Here's the thing, what do we count as true difficulty for FE?

When it doesn't piss me off 👍

21 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Berwick is quite a bit easier, they have a kinda similiar approach to design

• No ambush
  • no stat inflation
  • difficulty in map design/gimmicks, enemy compisitions and enemy skills and the fact that you can't hit anything in the early game.

There we go.

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

(see my refusal to play Mary Skelter 2 because of the shitty MC).

Are you gonna play the third one?

Just now, Armagon said:

Same but turn-based RPGs in general.

Way too easy to become a statfest.

True.
And RNG-fest, besides.

Just now, Armagon said:

Are you gonna play the third one?

Maybe.
I know I'll have to deal with Otsuu again, so... I am very reluctant.
Apparently they also relegated Alice to being a side character instead of a main one, which I am not a fan of, either.

There's a song in Atelier Lydie & Sulle that really feels like it was ripped straight out of Donkey Kong Country but I can't find it anywhere on YouTube.

So take this boss theme instead.

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Apparently they also relegated Alice to being a side character instead of a main one, which I am not a fan of, either.

In the same way Atelier let's a new character take the spotlight each time (well almost each time now haha) or did it actually decrease the relevancy of the previous protagonist?

Just now, Armagon said:

In the same way Atelier let's a new character take the spotlight each time (well almost each time now haha) or did it actually decrease the relevancy of the previous protagonist?

I think it's more the latter thing, as far as I know.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ruben, you forgot the biggest Gharnef of all: me. I hate Kaga games 👍.

You're Veld.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There we go.

That's not even right. Adel and Leon supporter, Ward, Reese's commander, Christine with crossbows and Aim, Sylvis with her high bow level and Aim too...

Honestly, the only unit who has no options to improve his hit early on is Sherlock. And Sherlock gets so good later on that it doesn't even ruin him.

tl;dr: Go home Armagon, you don't know what you're talking about.

That moment when your brother comes to yoyr place and says "here, I drove eight hours to get this PS5 for you". 

So yeah, got a PS5 now! Awesome!

Edited by lightcosmo

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

I think it's more the latter thing, as far as I know.

Well that's a bit unfortunate.

But hey, that means they made Otsuu less relevant too, right?

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's not even right. Adel and Leon supporter, Ward, Reese's commander, Christine with crossbows and Aim, Sylvis with her high bow level and Aim too...

Damn, then I must've played the alt version of the game where every character was this

Darkness-anime.png

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

That moment when your brother comes to yoyr place and says "here, I drove eight hours to get for this PS5 for you". 

Nice nice.

I personally have no reason to get one until 2023 but that's just me. Enjoy!

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

That moment when your brother comes to yoyr place and says "here, I drove eight hours to get this PS5 for you". 

Well, I know that's something my brother wouldn't get this year, because there's probably enough to catch up on as is so he wouldn't get that on top of it and I doubt he'd send it to me in the post like he did for this year's present.

At least it should be here tomorrow.

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Holy shit chapter 16 of Fred Jones was super tough. I managed to scrape by by playing aggressively, and even then, Eleano got killed yet again (seriously that girl can't take a hit for shit) and Kazaha got shot down because the wrong person stepped on a bear trap.

Thankfully, this next map seems to be a preparations map, so they can recover without missing out on a real map! Neat.

Poor Eleano. How have your units grown?