Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

17 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not helping is me not being at all good for the crucial unit timings that 5 and 6 call for for overwhelming domination. I took one capital on a pangaea map in Civ 5 with the Mongols' Keshiks, one. I'm told they're supposed to be good enough to sweep the entire world, but they were struggling to take a second cap (mostly b/c it was on the coast and I had no navy to keep the enemy from reclaiming it immediately) and Camel Archers... I'm doubtful of what they can do. Unique units are garbo if I can't actually do anything with them. The nice thing about Beyond Earth for me is that it doesn't have this worry of eventual obsolescence, which basically everything useful in Civ5 except the units of the final era have.

Best unique unit in the Civ series: The Indian Fast Worker, from Civ4. It replaces the Worker. And it is fast. As in, +1 Movement, it doesn't improve any faster, but having that neat little bonus for literally the entire game is really good.

Another funny Civ4 quirk is that the Quecha, a Warrior replacement is another candidate for the title "Most Valuable Unique Unit". Warrior rushes are actually A Thing(TM) in Civ4, but they get shut down hard if the target researches Archery. You can deal with other advanced units by pillaging mines and pastures (...except when facing the Maya, whose Spearman replacement doesn't require copper), but Archers don't need any strategic resources. However, Quechas get a 50% bonus against Archers, which puts them even footing with them, so if your target tries to churn them out, they basically spend more hammers on a unit that performes equal to a basic warrior.

...I should try an Arabia game some time, actually. I think I've only played as Saladin once, maybe twice, years ago, but I do have fond memories of his Camel Archers. Their "Canto" ability is really incredible, both to attack from one space with several units, and to avoid counterattacks. Civ5's combat AI being unable to move+shoot with a ranged unit helps greatly with the latter.

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Vicky definitely seems like the ideal choice for me in that regard, even if I can't pick a Native American nation like I can in EU4.

FWIW, I've seen that there's an achievement for starting as the "Indian Territory" and then kicking the US's butt (reduce them to 3 states and vassalise them). Not the same as playing as a specific nation, of course.

• Replies 176.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

23 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

z6K3tuF.png

I don't think I've ever used Pure Water in a Fire Emblem game.

Me either. Against a enemy with Bolting I always took somebody with high Res and made em run the charges out, and heal em up with whoevers close by

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's understandable. The hoarding mindset is difficult to escape. "What if I need it later!?" and then later never really comes.

Same here. I cant get that notion outta my head for shit

Its always even better if you find out its an item that sucks anyway and barely serves the purpose 

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've heard the primary criticism is that the various aspects, combat and farming alike, need more fleshing out.

Mmhmm. I got that feeling too from the demo. Now granted, combat in these types of games isn't a huge deal, I'm ok with it being simple. But the farming definitely shows that Harvestella is an RPG with farming as opposed to a farming RPG. But again, I am fine with that.

Might wait until the next paycheck or two to get it tho. It still piques my interest more than 99% of Square Enix titles but with finals and whatnot looming, I can wait a bit.

Did you have to jab Persona again?

But like am I wrong? 

I was gonna include Sakura Wars but then I remembered that Sakura Wars only has women. As in, it's casts are basically a harem for the player.

Couldn't include Fire Emblem either cause you still get kids in that haha.

Tatsuyaaaa

I have heard this yes, that Persona 2 probably has the best LGBT rep out of any Persona game. Though I've seen some criticism that it's more yaoi than genuine but as I haven't seen it, I hold no opinion. But would like to hear from you since you've actually played.

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

If there's one thing that makes me bad at Fire Emblem (Well there are several things but that's besides the point) It's that I don't use all the tools the game gives me.

I use them suboptimally.

Stat boosters I usually use on the Est of my liking (Sophia) instead of being "optimal".

Actually, you know what? What better time than the present. Let's see if I can make heads or tails of victoria 2 now.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I use them suboptimally.

Is there a better way to use statboosters?

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Is there a better way to use statboosters?

True.

I do wish stat boosters could be used to salvage certain units in RD tho. Lethe was my MVP in PoR and then she fell off hard in RD.

21 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Send the causals back to workhouses from whence they came!

Mentioned this site in there I see...

I hate elitism but cant say Ive seen much of it here in short time I been around, at least not from recent posters

Just now, Capt. Fargus said:

hate elitism but cant say Ive seen much of it here in short time I been around, at least not from recent posters

FE elitism has more or less died out. But I remember the dark days. I remember when Heroes was tentatively announced. Jesus Christ.

I could not complete the second tutorial because I couldn't find the button to load units into boats.

This does not bode well.

...Ah, fuck it. Spain it is. Let's go and lose some wars or something.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

True.

I do wish stat boosters could be used to salvage certain units in RD tho. Lethe was my MVP in PoR and then she fell off hard in RD.

Hey, look on the bright side. At least she's not Tormod.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

FE elitism has more or less died out. But I remember the dark days. I remember when Heroes was tentatively announced. Jesus Christ.

I saw a little bit of the “Me better than you” shit in a thread on “turtling” on here from a ways back, but nothin from recently. 

Them Elden Ring fanboys tho... Never saw nuthin like that bunch

3 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Them Elden Ring fanboys tho... Never saw nuthin like that bunch

Elden Ring fans when you ring the bell (you are using the tools the game gave you)

Mexico is going to lose to Arabia lol

Without scoring a goal too

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Listen to me, 06. I will get the Ruben ending, and that ending will be wherever the game leads me through my peerless decision-making. Then we'll see if I've enjoyed the game enough to research how to get more endings.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

*laughs in Delphi`s Crusade*

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Besides, Fauxnel's a very particular type of unpleasant that I find greatly enjoyable. Being playable in spite of being the biggest bastard in the entire game, devils and all, added so much to his magnificence, too. But I could understand others not agreeing.

I mean I don't recall disliking him, though yeah, I can imagine adoring him is an acquired taste that suits your palette perfectly. Like an artisan cheese with a pungent flavor.🧀 What luck it was that things aligned like so.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, I agree. Another series would've had stuff like the "Vally and Phi-Phi" moment smack dab in the middle of route C for "comic relief", and it would've gotten the immersion and a big facepalm out of me. I must admire their restraint. The few bits of humor in this game were so subdued and dry that they fit the tone like a glove regardless.

Not to forget the Truthade revealing that Phiona used to say she'd marry her brother when she was a little girl. Wanting to marry siblings or parents or other family members is perfectly innocent and fine for a small child to say, just a fantasy they shall inevitably grow out out. However, this being a Fire Emblem forum, you know how such information if present in the forefront of a game would be regarded by players. Eirika, Lachesis.🙄

2 hours ago, ping said:

Another funny Civ4 quirk is that the Quecha, a Warrior replacement is another candidate for the title "Most Valuable Unique Unit". Warrior rushes are actually A Thing(TM) in Civ4, but they get shut down hard if the target researches Archery. You can deal with other advanced units by pillaging mines and pastures (...except when facing the Maya, whose Spearman replacement doesn't require copper), but Archers don't need any strategic resources. However, Quechas get a 50% bonus against Archers, which puts them even footing with them, so if your target tries to churn them out, they basically spend more hammers on a unit that performes equal to a basic warrior.

I have considered going back to 4. However, it'd be despite the existence of aged elitists proclaiming it the best and most challenging Civ ever.

The Quechas sound better than Civ 5 & 6 Aztecs, both versions of which want to rush with Eagles/Jaguars, but the window seems incredibly small for it. -Although using them against a city-state in 6 seems fine, all you want is to kill troops for free Builders, taking cities is uniquely optional for Aztec warmongering in both iterations, which I kinda like.

2 hours ago, ping said:

...I should try an Arabia game some time, actually. I think I've only played as Saladin once, maybe twice, years ago, but I do have fond memories of his Camel Archers. Their "Canto" ability is really incredible, both to attack from one space with several units, and to avoid counterattacks. Civ5's combat AI being unable to move+shoot with a ranged unit helps greatly with the latter.

Camel Archers are generally considered the best unique from what I've seen people say.

Feels like the best situation for Arabia would be a Continents map. 

• To begin, you settle your two non-capital cities to gather some horses, perhaps ally a city-state for yet more. Camel Archers requiring horses is weird, but I understand it as a balancing mechanism, resource-free would make them too strong.
  • Ideally you also get some resources, or tundra, or best of all- good desert tiles; these can provide faith with a pantheon for a religion. Because trade route religious pressure is part of Arabia's unique ability, you should pick one up for maximum flavor. Although tundra and desert can't have horses, so the best terrain for war and for religion don't exactly align for Arabia.
  • Then you build basic infrastructure and economy, two Horsemen you don't upgrade to help conquer cities, and rush to Chivalry to get your Camel Archers. With your dromedary devastators, you sweep the 2-4 rivals on your continent before Great War Bombers obsolete your Camels.
  • With an entire continent to yourself, you then either transition to an easy peaceful victory, or you use those doubled Arabian oil reserves that you might have and get some Carriers and gas-guzzling Bombers, Battleships, and Tanks to sweep the other continent.

But like am I wrong? 

Well, not exactly.😆

I have heard this yes, that Persona 2 probably has the best LGBT rep out of any Persona game. Though I've seen some criticism that it's more yaoi than genuine but as I haven't seen it, I hold no opinion. But would like to hear from you since you've actually played.

First- the underlined. There is a nameless faceless NPC who is transgender male and eagerly offers to flash their junk (which has been magically made 100% "real") at you. Persona 2 still has a few little flaws.🤨

Second- the bolded. Yes, from what I've read, Atlus was interested in seeing about trying to appeal to the fujoshi crowd when they decided to do what they did with Persona 2. The intentions and the results do not necessarily have to align however.

Third- there is a trickiness associated with discussing this aspect of Persona 2, because there are spoilers associated with it.😐 If the Persona franchise is truly absolutely dead to you as something you'd play, and then I'd be willing to say my opinion on the matter. (Persona 2 being dated in gameplay means I wouldn't advise you do it without a cheat activated or three. And I doubt Atlus would ever remake it monkey's paw says they would somehow find a way to force an incongruous calendar system into Innocent Sin to make it appeal to modern Persona tastes.) -But I want confirmation of your willingness to hear significant spoilers first.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

28 minutes ago, Green06 said:

😬

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I mean I don't recall disliking him, though yeah, I can imagine adoring him is an acquired taste that suits your palette perfectly. Like an artisan cheese with a pungent flavor.🧀 What luck it was that things aligned like so.

He's a wonderful blend of being completely horrible, really charming, not validated or aggrandized by the game and getting away with everything in the end. I don't see characters that tick all these boxes often, and when they do it's a great time.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not to forget the Truthade revealing that Phiona used to say she'd marry her brother when she was a little girl. Wanting to marry siblings or parents or other family members is perfectly innocent and fine for a small child to say, just a fantasy they shall inevitably grow out out. However, this being a Fire Emblem forum, you how such information if present in the forefront of a game would be regarded. Eirika, Lachesis.🙄

Yeah... I mean to be fair, Eph and Eiri's legendaries being named what they are is really something. I'm willing to believe it was unintentional, it really seems like Kaga and IntSys both just pull their mythological references from quick google searches, but still. Unfortunate.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I have considered going back to 4. However, it'd be despite the existence of aged elitists proclaiming it the best and most challenging Civ ever.

I think you can make a good case that 4 is the best of the classic civs. 1-4 are fairly "iterative", with every title improving upon, but not really drastically overhauling, the previous one, although I have to add that I've played a grand total of one game of Civ3, semi-cooperative with my cousin, so I can't really say if that one entirely fits into that pattern. I still remember that we spawned on different continents, he conquered one city from an AI on my continent, and it turned out to be the only source of oil on it

But after that, 5 and 6 both do things very differently from 4 and from each other. One unit per tile is huge, 5's happiness system is an extreme departure from the "more = better" that 1-4 had, districts in 6... I think it's one of those cases where the games are unique enough that it doesn't really make sense to call one of them the "best". Different players will like different things.

Civ4 probably is more difficult than 5 and 6 though. Not mechanically, it's definitely much easier to build up cities compared to 6's district planning, but because of that, 4's AI is far less incompetent. It's most noticable when it comes to warfare - in 5, three Comp Bows and a City Wall basically make a defence because the AI just can't make a coordinated attack, but in 4, there's a limit to how much you can outsmart an enemy doomstack.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Quechas sound better than Civ 5 & 6 Aztecs, both versions of which want to rush with Eagles/Jaguars, but the window seems incredibly small for it. -Although using them against a city-state in 6 seems fine, all you want is to kill troops for free Builders, taking cities is uniquely optional for Aztec warmongering in both iterations, which I kinda like.

Civ5 Aztecs being an awesome peacemongering civ because Floating Gardens are just so OP is one of my favourite (probably) unintended features of the game. If only they didn't have a Jungle start bias

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Feels like the best situation for Arabia would be a Continents map where you settle your two non-capital cities to gather some horses, perhaps befriend a city state for yet more. Ideally you also get some resources or tundra or best of all good desert tiles that can provide pantheon faith for a religion b/c it's part of Arabia's unique ability. Then you build basic infrastructure and economy, get your Camel Archers, and sweep the 2-4 rivals on your continent before Great War Bombers obsolete your Camels. With an entire continent to yourself, you either go for a peaceful victory, or you use those doubled Arabian oil reserves that you are likely to have and get some gas-guzzling Carriers, Bombers, Battleships, and Tanks to sweep the other continent.

Camel Archers being obsoleted by frigging Great War Bombers is a great visualisation of just how good they are :lol:

I remember watching a civ tier list by a multiplayer guy back in the day. He put Arabia in A instead of S because you're guaranteed to be ganged up upon by your neighbors before the medieval age.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Man, I remember when FE modding first took off. Everyone was all "FE7 is the superior game to mod and FE8 is trash!" 

Look at nowadays modding, all FE7 support! Lmao

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Listen to me, 06. I will get the Ruben ending, and that ending will be wherever the game leads me through my peerless decision-making. Then we'll see if I've enjoyed the game enough to research how to get more endings.

You're definitely getting Ending B.

Incidentally, this is what the developer had to say on the matter:

The conditions you have to achieve are really strict, and it may seem like aiming for the A ending from the beginning will be a very limited, confining experience, but it’s not like that at all, in fact.

I think there’s been many games recently that are too kind to the player, and try to explain everything for them. In turn a game is now said to be “unfriendly” or unfair if it doesn’t explain everything for you. But I think the fun part of games comes from thinking for yourself. So if players only see the B ending and think “this game wasn’t very interesting,” well… it can’t be helped. That was a big gamble I took.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Elysium is already on PC (with a solid mixed rating with 271 total reviews), but I've no idea how they'll handle Lenneth. The Steam page doesn't seem to mention it anywhere.

Because VP Lenneth won't be ported to Steam. At least, as part of the package with Elysium.

2 hours ago, Imperator Squilla said:

This group is fucking pandemonium

No one is safe

1 hour ago, Green06 said:

Mexico is going to lose to Arabia lol

Without scoring a goal too

Not surprising, to be honest.

35 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Man, I remember when FE modding first took off. Everyone was all "FE7 is the superior game to mod and FE8 is trash!" 

Look at nowadays modding, all FE7 support! Lmao

What's the difference that makes one better than the other? Also, when did FE8 started to be seen as the superior version to mod?

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Hey, at least she ain't Tormod or Lyre. Though honestly, she isn't much better than Lyre. That said, Lethe's biggest problem is being a cat. Cats are quicker to revert than other laguz classes and have almost nothing to show for it.

4 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Me either. Against a enemy with Bolting I always took somebody with high Res and made em run the charges out, and heal em up with whoevers close by

That's the big reason for me to use it; on a high resistance unit, it might make that hit for NO DAMAGE!

Edited by Shadow Mir

9 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I mean... you make it sound like they actually know how to balance anything (they don't) which is a nice dream, which wont be made a reality any time soon.

I know they don't. Look at this generation. 4 quickbans in the first week alone. That's gotta be a new record. Though one of those is due to a busted move that only it gets and not stats.

Edited by Shadow Mir

4 hours ago, ping said:

FWIW, I've seen that there's an achievement for starting as the "Indian Territory" and then kicking the US's butt (reduce them to 3 states and vassalise them). Not the same as playing as a specific nation, of course.

As yes, the generic "Indian Territory"

Eh, I guess I'll take it.

4 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Mentioned this site in there I see...

I hate elitism but cant say Ive seen much of it here in short time I been around, at least not from recent posters

It was always something I heard but never witnessed other than Wraith's occasional tongue and cheek quips.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's understandable. The hoarding mindset is difficult to escape. "What if I need it later!?" and then later never really comes.

Less of a hoarding problem (I tend to use statboosters as soon as I get them) and more of a me vastly underestimating the usefulness of certain things and forgetting they existed.