• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

The devs are fully aware of it too and they won't commit. Cowards.

Into the boat with Sorey-Mikleo it goes! Non-indie devs are still too afraid to cross the lines with fixed characterxfixed character. What do they have to lose? -Fork the unhealthily-possessive incels if they complain! Make the s/s lovers str8 in your head if you have to, we Qs have had to do that for decades! *Throws eggplants and plastic butterflies at the 'cels.*

Yeah fair enough. I think conceptually Xenogears has the best combat out of the pre-Blade games as it's turn-based with a mix of fighting game DNA. Unfortunately it is a PS1 RPG so.....

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

I appreciate a pretty attack.😀

This said, when it comes to "turn-based PS1 JRPG with fighting game elements", the first thing that comes to mind for me is this.:

Similar to XG, but instead of Triangle-Square-Cross attacks that can combine to form Deathblows, you have High, Low, Left, Right (one of Left or Right is quickly replaced by "Ra-Seru" once a character gets their anti-Mist companion on one arm) commands that can form Arts/Hyper Arts/Super Arts/Miracle Arts, which require varying amounts of AP to pull off (two turns of using using Spirit -defend- is sure to max it out).

Enemies can sometimes block hits, and something like a hornet will fly or a slime will stick close to the ground, so you probably want to avoid using Low and High attacks against them respectively. It's slightly more nuanced than XG, while still not exactly being the NxC-EF-PXZ style of fighting combat mixed with turn-based RPG that Monolith later developed.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Ace Attorney kind of did that too... probably because people complained when returning characters did change significantly.

I have heard that they had to regress former master DA 'Nix in AA5. Something about fans not taking a shine to Apollo, and demanding the resurrection of Phoenix as a lead -yet his character arc was already finished in the original trilogy. Sounds like a tricky situation with no way that would please everyone.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

ty ty

I recommend just going down the list. You don't have to but you'll get more out of Xenosaga by seeing how Xenogears did it first.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Into the boat with Sorey-Mikleo it goes! Non-indie devs are still too afraid to cross the lines with fixed characterxfixed character. What do they have to lose? -Fork the unhealthily-possessive incels if they complain! Make the s/s lovers str8 in your head if you have to, we Qs have had to do that for decades! *Throws eggplants and plastic butterflies at the 'cels.*

Yeah it's pretty annoying.

Although, correct me if i'm wrong, did Zestiria try to push Sorey/female lead? Cause at least Atelier doesn't go after the het ships barring like two instances.

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

I appreciate a pretty attack.😀

Look at all these cool attacks. If only the game explained how they are learned.

Similar to XG, but instead of Triangle-Square-Cross attacks that can combine to form Deathblows, you have High, Low, Left, Right (one of Left or Right is quickly replaced by "Ra-Seru" once a character gets their anti-Mist companion on one arm) commands that can form Arts/Hyper Arts/Super Arts/Miracle Arts, which require varying amounts of AP to pull off (two turns of using using Spirit -defend- is sure to max it out).

Enemies can sometimes block hits, and something like a hornet will fly or a slime will stick close to the ground, so you probably want to avoid using Low and High attacks against them respectively. It's slightly more nuanced than XG, while still not exactly being the NxC-EF-PXZ style of fighting combat mixed with turn-based RPG that Monolith later developed.

Interesting. 

Just found out that 2D Zelda has been consistently locked to handhelds since Link's Awakening. I didn't even realize that before what the fuck.

"But Four Swords Adven-" FSA required handhelds to be played as intended.

Also the last new 2D Zelda we got was a decade ago

giphy.gif

Just now, Lightcosmo said:

Not at all. 

Ah ok.

On 5/2/2023 at 6:38 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

7ukfdqjmiei21.png?auto=webp&s=6fb3fe81d8a8f0fe80d3305c469ad1ed17c65caf

Rex is shota, so technically he's the most twink -but not legal at 16 either. Or maybe Kirby b/c the original Kirby's Dream Land was initially going to be called "Twinkle Popo" -but Kirby is as pure and innocent as they are a god of overwhelming awe-inflicting universal destruction!

Link has far more notoriety. Although I've seen smut of both. But, Shulk has an actual personality other than being defined as having the three golden virtues, so I'd vote for him. Nerd power too!🤓 -Link does get a boldness point for the Breath of the Wild crossdressing, however.

It really is quite the battle between them.

21 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, that's too bad. You missed such lovable characters as Team Rocket, 90-year-old brawler and King Moron. None of them as lovable as Garon, but what're ya gonna do.

I promise I'll return to Pokemon eventually.

21 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Luigi.

Fun fact I was actually considering adding Luigi to that lineup.

Although, correct me if i'm wrong, did Zestiria try to push Sorey/female lead? Cause at least Atelier doesn't go after the het ships barring like two instances.

There is an instance where Sorey and Rose spur-of-the-moment fake being husband & wife to get through a border checkpoint, and a skit where the Seraphs stare on at the two of them taking a nap next to each other and thinking it cute. As for Other Human Girl Who The Plot Abandons Alisha, she was drawn to Sorey for sure, sure seemed like one-sided love. -But Rose is pretty independent, and Sorey is as oblivious as a rock to Alisha's feelings. (Ofc Shulk Rex Sorey is still platonically kindhearted towards her as is his inherent nature towards people in general, which no doubt would have kindled any feelings of love within Melia Nia Alisha.) 

So, Zestiria doesn't shove SoreyxGirl at the player, thankfully. Yet I think it's fair to say one could imagine shipping Sorey with either of the human ladies.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Also the last new 2D Zelda we got was a decade ago

giphy.gif

You know I'll join you in asking for another. With each new 3D Zelda taking up the resources needed for a space elevator, a 2D title would be appreciated as an in-between project. Made on a budget yeah as is long to be expected, yet it could be a tight, chill, not overlong experience. We don't need to be served a Reekfish stuffed inside a Cucco, inside an Octorok, inside an Ordon goat, inside a Dodongo, inside a Helmaroc King for every single Hylian meal.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I'd say, I know it's a videogame thing in general, but the events in Engage really seem to be on quite the tight schedule.

Looking up, Zephia states that Sombron's liberation must've been what finally triggered Alear's awakening. Assuming that's true... then things really were on speedrun. Since, taking into account that Chapters 1 through 3 seem to happen all in the same day (well, night for Chapter 3), and that it was Sombron the one causing all the Corrupted to show up, then it means that in the span of a single day: He got freed, began making lots of Corrupted, who were already all over Elyos in the span of minutes/hours, and Alfred and his retainers managed to travel all the way to Lythos, all in the same day (even if, granted, they didn't arrived until past nightfall).

Granted, it's probable that Zephia was simply wrong, but still...

At least it's not having everything important wait a full month to happen... *looks at TH*

9 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Its extra funny how they have her blush to make doubly sure you don't miss the gay subtext...but still felt cowardly enough to use the cliche to begin with.

You don't understand, they said "no homo" before climbing in bes together

9 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Because most of the time Anime ages, at the end of the day, mean nothing at all. They only exist to justify them being in school or having freedom or whatever since in jp your life is over after high school (or college if you get into that)

And then hardcore weebs want to move there and have to live with the gaijin stigma on top of everything else.

9 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

so to make the characters relatable they put the characters in that age while making them act nothing like it or have experiences of people 40 years older lol. That's the crux of the matter.

What i am saying is, people who get triggered by anime ages are weak and won't survive the winter

Common anime L if you ask me. Adults are so cool. They are more handsome, less annoying and their voices are less grating than teens. I cannot relate to pipsqueaks.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Came across this video, it's an interesting topic. Cause like when we talk about the "future of Fire Emblem" and whatnot, a lot of people thought the next game would be "Three Houses 2" before Engage reminded us that IntSys is always doing something different.

I still do not feel safe. They were developed together and reception has shown people want VNs. 

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

With Fire Emblem, if you don't like the new game, you can just go "ok better luck next time in like two years". If you're a Zelda fan who doesn't like the direction the series is heading in, it does feel like you're actually just out of luck. The last new 2D Zelda was A Link Between Worlds in 2013. We could probably get Oracle/Minish remakes in a bit but those would be remakes. And also Anouma himself has stated this is the way he wants to go in. So hardcore Zelda traditionalists are just kinda fucked aren't they? 

That's the moment you give up and look to find/make spiritual successors on the indie market.

8 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I think the most unrealistic thing about Trails is how many students got jobs immediately after graduating.

Trails of Cold Steel 5: Unionizing.

I hadn't realized that you didn't know Dickson's name until now. Unfortunately he's only a party member for the intro and one battle after that.

If he is a functional teammate, he should be relatively simple to mod or even just cheat into the rest of the game. Now I just need Vangarre.

I'm sure Zelkov would be very impressed with your coloring *skills*.

I can say I managed to kill some *time* drawing him, at least.

Ace Attorney kind of did that too... probably because people complained when returning characters did change significantly.

The loss of Hobonix is still the biggest tragedy in the series. Move over, Edgeworth.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Benefits of essentially living in the 50s.

Oooohhh so that's why the entire population of Estelle's hometown was vaguely sexist towards her in the 10 hours of Sky 1 I played.

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Fun fact I was actually considering adding Luigi to that lineup.

I mean, of course you were. Luigi is King Twink, pretty much.

59 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, I know it's a videogame thing in general, but the events in Engage really seem to be on quite the tight schedule.

Looking up, Zephia states that Sombron's liberation must've been what finally triggered Alear's awakening. Assuming that's true... then things really were on speedrun. Since, taking into account that Chapters 1 through 3 seem to happen all in the same day (well, night for Chapter 3), and that it was Sombron the one causing all the Corrupted to show up, then it means that in the span of a single day: He got freed, began making lots of Corrupted, who were already all over Elyos in the span of minutes/hours, and Alfred and his retainers managed to travel all the way to Lythos, all in the same day (even if, granted, they didn't arrived until past nightfall).

Granted, it's probable that Zephia was simply wrong, but still...

Typical Engage worldbuilding lol

Still, considering the population of Elyos is like, 400, it wouldn't surprise me that the continent is around the size of a small province. I mean, Lythos had a population of five at the start of the game. It's not that unrealistic to think the entire "country" was just the castle and some prairies. Though this does make Alfred's lack of knowledge about Elusia even more criminal

59 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

At least it's not having everything important wait a full month to happen... *looks at TH*

Never forget that leaving Manuela to bleed on the ground for 30 days is the optimal play. Gotta get some fishing done!

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oooohhh so that's why the entire population of Estelle's hometown was vaguely sexist towards her in the 10 hours of Sky 1 I played.

Ruben: Trails was always the series for you:

Spoiler

9194b9088706f02a250bda179cbce49d.jpg

Time-stopping on an Arte is the most annoying thing in a Tales of game. I dislike fighting against Cress in ToX 2 for this very reason. Every few seconds, it's just time stop with Dimensional Blade, and you can't even slide around him since the hitbox is so janky it hits from behind him regardless to what it looks like.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Still, considering the population of Elyos is like, 400, it wouldn't surprise me that the continent is around the size of a small province. I mean, Lythos had a population of five at the start of the game. It's not that unrealistic to think the entire "country" was just the castle and some prairies. Though this does make Alfred's lack of knowledge about Elusia even more criminal

I mean, like I said, nothing new under the sun.

Still, it's not like it'd be that unlikely. If we consider a horse can go to like 55-60 kmph, and a ship like the kind we see in Engage could be like 15-20 kmph, then if they leave Firene Castle early enough, then to arrive to Lythos Castle past nightfall... it wouldn't be too unreasonable, even with Elyos being decently sized. This is also a world with warp staves and who already have air travel with pegasi/wyverns/griffons, as well. But yeah, Elyos could might as well be on the smaller size for a continent.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You know I'll join you in asking for another. With each new 3D Zelda taking up the resources needed for a space elevator, a 2D title would be appreciated as an in-between project. Made on a budget yeah as is long to be expected, yet it could be a tight, chill, not overlong experience. We don't need to be served a Reekfish stuffed inside a Cucco, inside an Octorok, inside an Ordon goat, inside a Dodongo, inside a Helmaroc King for every single Hylian meal.

I think we're due for Oracle remakes (since let's be real, Link's Awakening HD was an out-of-nowhere moment) but i'd definitely want a new 2D title too. What to do with it tho. Link Between Worlds let you merge with walls and generally let you tackle the dungeons in any order. Would Nintendo see removing this as a step back?

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's the moment you give up and look to find/make spiritual successors on the indie market.

You could but it might not feel the same. Yeah someone can go play Tunic or Blossom Tales or whatever but while it may be a "spiritual successor", if you're just looking to replace Zelda, then it's going to leave a big hole in your heart. 

It's like how Paper Mario traditionalists flocked to Bug Fables. Yeah the gameplay is similar.....but it's not Paper Mario. Playing spiritual successors should be because you like the style of game and not because you're looking to replace a series that no longer appeals to you.

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

Time-stopping on an Arte is the most annoying thing in a Tales of game. I dislike fighting against Cress in ToX 2 for this very reason. Every few seconds, it's just time stop with Dimensional Blade, and you can't even slide around him since the hitbox is so janky it hits from behind him regardless to what it looks like.

Tales of Phantasia magic Artes moment.

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ha ha, Rubenio said worldbuilding.

Maaan

Between the tight tactics, the horrible load times and the constant low crits I eat, turns 1 and 2 of chapter 22 are taking years.

The worst part is that I finally found a way to get past turn 2 without any outstanding luck involved, but then Lapis ate a 4% crit and I have zero way to avoid it, so I gotta sit through another fucking loading screen and redo turn 1 exactly, in hopes that this time, I don't eat the 4% crit. Fucking hell.

5 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Ruben: Trails was always the series for you:

Hide contents

9194b9088706f02a250bda179cbce49d.jpg

What are you even getting at lol

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, like I said, nothing new under the sun.

Still, it's not like it'd be that unlikely. If we consider a horse can go to like 55-60 kmph, and a ship like the kind we see in Engage could be like 15-20 kmph, then if they leave Firene Castle early enough, then to arrive to Lythos Castle past nightfall... it wouldn't be too unreasonable, even with Elyos being decently sized. This is also a world with warp staves and who already have air travel with pegasi/wyverns/griffons, as well. But yeah, Elyos could might as well be on the smaller size for a continent.

Alfred making it to Lythos quickly didn't strike me as odd, frankly. The sea mass between the countries seems rather tiny, and it's clear the distance between Firene Castle and Florra Port isn't great. I can totally see the voyage taking just a few hours... Enough for Alfred to arrive just a wee bit too late, of course.

Odder is the fact that Elusia just sort of teleports into Firene and instantly takes the castle and half the country literally over night. To get there and assemble their entire army without preventing Alfred's departure or running into him at sea, they would've had a window of what, 12 hours? To arrive, disembark and conquer the entire thing. Though I suppose when you accept that each country is the size of of a small municipality as fact, it becomes less unbelievable.

...Actually, at surface level at least, Elyos being tiny kind of solves all the timing problems lol. It makes sense that the game takes place over a week and there's like nobody in the continent if the place is barely big enough to call itself a county lololololol

You could but it might not feel the same. Yeah someone can go play Tunic or Blossom Tales or whatever but while it may be a "spiritual successor", if you're just looking to replace Zelda, then it's going to leave a big hole in your heart. 

It's like how Paper Mario traditionalists flocked to Bug Fables. Yeah the gameplay is similar.....but it's not Paper Mario. Playing spiritual successors should be because you like the style of game and not because you're looking to replace a series that no longer appeals to you.

That's true, but well, you do what you gotta do. Companies are gonna follow the money, always. If your tastes don't follow the money as well, that's just too bad. I mean, I was ready to settle for fangames and KagaSaga forever until Engage happened.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Alfred making it to Lythos quickly didn't strike me as odd, frankly. The sea mass between the countries seems rather tiny, and it's clear the distance between Firene Castle and Florra Port isn't great. I can totally see the voyage taking just a few hours... Enough for Alfred to arrive just a wee bit too late, of course.

As I said, Zephia could just be wrong about when Alear woke up in relation to Sombron's own liberation. There could've been a delay of hours, for example. We also don't know when it happened. Could've been at night, so Firene woke up to Corrupted already in their lands the next morning. So Alfred departs that same morning, and takes the entire day to reach Lythos Castle. But yeah, it could be an option.

Odder is the fact that Elusia just sort of teleports into Firene and instantly takes the castle and half the country literally over night. To get there and assemble their entire army without preventing Alfred's departure or running into him at sea, they would've had a window of what, 12 hours? To arrive, disembark and conquer the entire thing. Though I suppose when you accept that each country is the size of of a small municipality as fact, it becomes less unbelievable.

Well, thanks to the ring shape, they could've sailed north of Lythos while from Florra Port to Lythos it'd be from the south. So they could easily avoided seeing each other. It's not like the Elusians needed to disembark at Florra (Chapter 17 was since they sailed from Solm so it was the closest port). Plenty of other places to land, no doubt.

One thing to take into account is that the whole plan could've been crafted before Sombron was even liberated, thus no need to "waste" time coming up with it after the fact. Since Zephia states it was Elusia who did it, it looks like she was biding her time while checking on the seal as it weakened. Then, once it had sufficiently did so, she went over to Hyacinth. Or saw the conflict with Brodia as a good way to persuade him to liberate Sombron. Elusia is already battle-ready because of Brodia, so there'd be no time delayed either to prepare the forces to send to the other countries and stuff. So yeah, it could've feasibly happened over the course of a day. Two, tops.

So while Chapters 1 and 2 happened, Elusia was already en route to Firene. It's possible that the forces that attack Lythos in Chapter 3 were part of this force. The twins mentioned a wall was burst open. Maybe bombardment from the ships as they passed by, then the soldiers quickly hurried over to disembark. Or were warped to the castle perimeter and then detonated a bomb or something. Or were carried by the pegasus knights that we fight in the chapter. Really, there's no lack of possible explanations.

...Actually, at surface level at least, Elyos being tiny kind of solves all the timing problems lol. It makes sense that the game takes place over a week and there's like nobody in the continent if the place is barely big enough to call itself a county lololololol

But yeah, there's really no indication that the continent is meant to be like, too huge. Even Fodlan is stated to be 2/3 of Europe, size-wise.

You know, I found chapter 11 to work really well on both difficulties. This? Not so much. The reinforcements legit feel like anti-anti-turtling measures. I can't make pushes when I'm also getting hounded by infinitely spawning assholes and I have no Emblems with which to secure important kills. It feels like I have to time my pushes so they happen in between reinforcement waves, which means a whole lot of bunching up, waiting and ganging up on Void Curse stooges until an opportunity opens up.

And then I lose five crystals per encounter because half the enemy army is composed of high avoid units. Awesome.

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Really, there's no lack of possible explanations.

True, but it's funnier to think the continent is tiny and everyone is really slow