• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Hmm, as I write Chapter 3 of TDatP, I think I got the idea to make a little shift to what was my original plan. When it comes to the sequence of events. It'd be a big departure from DCoF, but I feel this could be a better way to go. Specially since it can help to... nudge things into the direction I do still want the story to go. Perhaps, hmm...

---

Anyway, I'd say, recently I got reminded of Genesis Climber Mospeada. I only watched it as its Robotech version, but you could nostalgia still made me reminiscence. So, looking up, I found some interesting trivia. So apparently, the decision that Southern Cross was included to become Robotech was not so much of a coincidence. As it turns out, the full title of Macross, Super Dimension Fortress, is actually one of a trilogy. Not outright related continuity wise. I say trilogy in the sense that, say, Combattler, Voltes, and Daimos form a thematic trilogy. In this case, it's Macross, Orguss, and Southern Cross. Or rather:

Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Super Dimension Century Orguss
Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross

Those were meant to be the three series that would become Robotech. However, Harmony Gold couldn't get the rights to Orguss, so Southern Cross was turned into the second season of Robotech, and Mospeada was made the third instead, after HG tried to actually air it as its own entity first actually faithful to the Japanese version, but apparently it didn't prove successful, so it instead got incorporated into Robotech. Which ended up being a bit of a fortunate move, as the transforming aircraft that showed up in Mospeada were already inspired/based on Macross' Valkyrie Fighters to begin with. So it helped to keep in thematic continuity.

I'd say, I do wonder if Mospeada may see itself one day in SRW. Though I see it a bit hard, considering the background story may seem hard to adapt. Considering the story opens up after the Inbit/Invid have already taken control of Earth for over 30 years. So... doesn't look easy to adapt. Or who knows. Maybe the time could be shortened, and maybe localized to only a portion of Earth? It's not like SRW hasn't done a "Conquered Earth" storyline before. That was the premise of SRW 64, with the Muge and Grados Empires in control of Earth when the game begins. Mospeada could've fit nicely back there, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Surprising, TIL that it got a side-story recently. Genesis Breaker Mospeada, happening in tandem with the original story, though sadly I don't know much else for now. Still, that's quite fascinating...

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

He's actually not using his accent for this. Or maybe he is. Doesn't sound like it, which is in line with how Blades in Xenoblade 2 sound American. Even Pyra/Mythra's VA goes for a more American sound, despite being a Brit herself.

Ah, I understand.

Spanish naming in Japanese works will never not be funny.

I remember Atelier Sophie 2 and it's "black agujero" item,

At least that sounded like something fantastical, in a way. This guy just has an attack called "mid."

Honestly wild that there are people who prefer Kingdom Battle over Sparks of Hope but opinions do be that way i suppose.

Some people appreciate the linearity, the more specialized characters and the higher challenge.

I have been toying with the idea of going back myself, at some point. Since I tend to be the guy that goes "challenge good" lol

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hm? This is a thing?

How interesting.

Every time I see it it baffles me how much better Champions of the Continent looks than both mainline games. Being a gacha ruins it, of course, but still. The fact that they had 8 party members working just fine here and for some reason decided to backpedal to the extremely annoying "four active members, one of them is stuck for all time" system for Octopath 2 is just... Why?

Honestly, Square ought to do a cool for once, remove all the gacha and leave the game fully offline and available for all time when support for it ends. That's what all gachas should do, anyway, but I guess it's easier simply rendering the whole game unplayable instead.

Anyway, Live a Live good.

How i rate the characters in XC3:FR as far as gameplay goes:

Game ruining: Rex

Great: Matthew

Good: Glimmer

Okay: Shulk

Passable: A, Nikol. 

Everyone is usable at least, but there is a very npticable gap between them as well.

Okay but hear me out, though. You know what the real biggest missed opportunity in Engage was?

Spoiler

jhlbWKho_o.png

Given his daughters, this is totally what Hyacinth should've looked like.

...Man, I cannot wait to use the Playable Bosses mod in my next run.

Anyway, I think... Sigurd paralogue is up next? Here's hoping it goes well. I should start picking up the pace, I've been busy with this run for way too long.

23 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay but hear me out, though. You know what the real biggest missed opportunity in Engage was?

Hide contents

jhlbWKho_o.png

Given his daughters, this is totally what Hyacinth should've looked like.

...Man, I cannot wait to use the Playable Bosses mod in my next run.

Spoiler

I mean, he may be discount Garon, but I'd think in this case they may have taken after their mothers.

Alternatively, he may had in his youth, but it's now greyed out. Just like it's very likely Garon was blond before his hair also greyed out.

Goddammit, I have decision paralysis now.

Do I marry Zelkov because Zelkov, or do I marry Vandad for the memes? Thing is, Vandad doesn't need the crit boost. His Vandrip is all he needs...

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:
  Hide contents

I mean, he may be discount Garon, but I'd think in this case they may have taken after their mothers.

Alternatively, he may had in his youth, but it's now greyed out. Just like it's very likely Garon was blond before his hair also greyed out.

Spoiler

For sure, but look, he already paints his nails. If his hair matched up with his kids he'd have been the most fabulous old fart in the history of FE, and it would've made him even funnier.

You know, it's funny how even though they nerfed it from Houses, having to stop between chapters and read supports for 20 minutes remains an issue.

Like, I keep forgetting to do it, and when I do remember it's like "oh goddammit I have to read supports now instead of playing." Dammit I don't have that much time on workdays, let me just get to the action game.

Jade is mentioned by name in Amber and Kenny's B support.

That's odd. Supports are supposed to be entirely self-contained so as to accout for perma-death, and Jade very much does die when killed. I mean, it's great, it's fitting and I seriously wish they did it more often. Especially since with little mentions like these, it would be very easy to account for death with a simple if statement. But it just feels kind of odd here, they tend not to do it lol

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, I remember your aversion to reading long scenes.

Must I list the text-only games I've eaten up every time the topic of reading comes up

I literally just got done playing 60 hours of Triangle Strategy a few weeks ago

It's not my fault if certain big text games simply failed to keep my interest

Well, I'm officially overleveled for the lower paralogues I've left. I avoided it so far, but Sigurd's paralogue was a complete joke, even though I'm falling asleep in my chair because I've not gotten a decent sleep since the weekend.

Incidentally, I've found a Bunet support that's actually... wholesome? He's not even slightly scary here. He legitimately comes across as sweet, even. I guess they figured since this chain requires using Bunet long-term and sticking him next to the penultimate recruit in the game for a bunch of turns, nobody would see it and Bunet's reputation as a complete madman would go untarnished.

I can't believe it took me this long to realize they reversed the classic terminology for passable/impassable woods tiles in Engage. The passable woods are called thickets, and the impassable ones are forests. This makes less sense, too, so uh... Typical treehouse? I mean, they're the ones who started the forest/thicket thing in FE7, anyway. How do you forget something you've been doing for decades...?

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

9Mqy0BB.png

Ffs can we stop importing american bullshit tyvm

Scheuer?! Preposterous!

34 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Scheuer?! Preposterous!

Yes, truly preposterous that corrupt asshole is still relevant and now trying to bull murican republican bs

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

10 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yes, truly preposterous that corrupt asshole is still relevant and now trying to bull murican republican bs

I mean look I'm sorry but the only word I understood of that is DeSantis lol

Anyway, 'Murica's a shithole and everyone else gives it too much attention. What else is new?

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I just wish the shit would stay there and doesn't overflow over to us

So long it doesn't spill over here instead.

"So far from God and so close to the United States."

Welp, too late for that.

Perhaps like Shrimpy, its time to revisit my XC2 mod. Just because stuff can be much more fun to use, such as Phys/Ether def aux cores for example. Rather than the % mult I changed it to a static boost, making Blades with low def actually able to benefit from it.

Alright, time for a little Electric type monotype run of Pokemon Red. I am anticipating a very difficult early game, and a much easier end game.

AJFCJaWhoBLmDt9QElh7BBk_gpNpCc19DSjqArZ9

Squirtle made the most sense for starter type as Bulbasaur will be resistant against Electric type moves, whereas Electric will be super effective against the Squirtle line, and the endgame Charizard. Now there is the argument to be made that having Blastoise instead of Gyrados would make that easier, but it isn't until the fourth fight til he even has a Gyrados, and we would have an easy super effective moves before that.

AJFCJaUWCDctJXLkPNZVzDzZrrvJMzCUxmUJrEzf

Now it took a little bit to find my first encounter, but when I do, I luck into the higher level Pikachu option, a small blessing as we have a long grind ahead of us, as

AJFCJaXOR9BIp5FjqwPEVjRyn3cTRNJh3hNNKYbZ

Even after taking out all the Viridian Forest trainers, the random encounters along the way, and the optional fight against my childishly named Rival, I still don't have a move that can even hit the ground types of Brock's Gym trainers

AJFCJaX-Hr5iQ7Ka_Gen_DuzqfwSv-wya9-YOKpq

Unless I burn through all of my PP against wild Pokemon in the forest (thank goodness for Kakuna/Metapod), and have Struggle available at the start, and even then

AJFCJaWJblhb8LLYvgPSyrUbwc0Ww-ps_mHuONnx

Its still not enough to beat the Gym trainer at this level, let alone Brock where his Pokemon resist the Normal type Struggle in this game. I keep the wipe (I spent most of my money already anyway), and do the same burn all PP training in the forest again before

AJFCJaVPxpJ7yjts3M8bGmxSwTG3PWZcnIEge2o8

I finally reach level 16 where I finally learn Quick Attack, and attack that can damage Ground Pokemon

AJFCJaXKrODhcPJWXVgQsjbkC2RMgPgBSCCmaUzV

Which is enough to get past the Light Years trainer, but I am still Light Years away from beating Brock as the goof says.

AJFCJaVX-YjPMRaEysZ5X-GvLM5TN04LsZMmlaRn

As I don't even have enough damage potential to defeat both of his Pokemon with the PP Quick Attack has. Now I was crafty enough to go into this battle with all of my Quick Attack PP, and 10 PP worth of Growl (I would use 4 Growls on the Geodude as soon as it uses Defense Curl, and use the other 6 on Onix during its Bide turns), and admittedly, if I were using items in battle (I haven't been for any of these runs), I would have been able to make it past him here

AJFCJaUbOXWV1xGSRVgsyjOzb1xRvTNqH5KOQ1Ez

As I simply don't have the health to finish him off with Struggle. Needless to say I needed to go back into the grass to levelup and burn through PP again, and the next major attempt, starting at level 19, but leveling to 20 on the Geodude

AJFCJaWEFdQLDkmJX48mUZgfHocD9LfV9WsyGjN-

It is clear with just a little more luck I can make it past this at this level, so I reset, and after two more failed attempts

AJFCJaXL_DQpSJiNoWn7DyLJ-CcpvmGay-aWdNfs

Our little Cell Phone has finally made it past Brock. That took more grinding in the grass than any of the other runs have had total, but I do minimum battle my way from there to Cerulean (barring one accidental optional trainer thanks to a speedup mishap),

AJFCJaUpoNsotEIZEdguiV3MVuCnTsSiPRKhXX5_

And I add a far better normal move to our little Cell Phone along the way.

AJFCJaX3JjTRMKKAHxDtTmgJHVybDWq6_dfyubzR

Much to my suprise Misty was tougher than I expected, and took a second attempt, as on the first she got a critical Bubblebeam hit. We do have better than even odds to win, as I one shot the Staryu, can Thunder Wave the Starmie to outspeed it, and it need to basically use Bubblebeams every turn with no Paralysis turns lost, or a lucky Bubblebeam crit like in the first attempt (and to be fair, I didn't know I would be outsped the first time, so I didn't go for the Thunderwave until turn two)

AJFCJaWA5oFvIqL4prrGxa9Q8SS-m4Bcw4E_4usx

The Cerulean Rival fight is also easy, in part thanks to Mega Punch powering through the otherwise resistant Bulbasaur

AJFCJaUIspEeaTHmW5TrcEVK3LdIa-eW2J3Di8SJ

It also makes the Hikes much less of a stumbling block, and I even decide to take on an optional one to get at

AJFCJaUgzbMZOKXEvP5nmm-8Sa0PfJ6G_TKi6Fi4AJFCJaVKHe6oBnAxMhAdlc4pQkkFYMCrrFdoRPrj

a TM move early that does even better against Rock types than Mega Punch does. Also learning Swift made the replacement even easier. Now when I do get to the SS Anne I stop skipping trainers, as I want to clear the place out for items anyway, and the trainers are rather easy

AJFCJaXlUNOcym4hTUKfwUKKWeuA8Fni-UpY2ByV

Even the rival fight goes alright.

AJFCJaUjZ_kNrWI5nYAEDRTty5dV8dG15yfEd3jf

In retrospect, I should have caught a Paras in Mt. Moon for a Pokemon that can use Cut and Dig (as tragically none of the Electric types can learn Dig, and it does have some nice out of battle utility), but I get Cut to deal with Lt. Surge's Gym, and after a bad time with the slightly bugged Gym Puzzle, I end up fighting all the Gym trainers, and

AJFCJaVswRXL4J2n9oZgkfVzuMbmAvyUioB-Bw15

Its easy to span Swift to clear away Lt. Surge's Pokemon, for the TM to the best Electric move in the game, but I am saving that for a Pokemon that can't learn an Electric type move from levelup at all

AJFCJaVe2M2mHfRKrT0psjnMpRm6OE8G9gyN5jFcAJFCJaVgFaG_YGwx8HQJXCwWLWn1Aw5aaHqzADvV

Which happens to be our second encounter of the run, Voltorb, who will eventually evolve into the Pokemon with the highest crit chance. We get Voltorb on the route immediately before Rock Tunnel, and after getting this newbie, I go back to face all the trainer I skipped between Rock Tunnel and Cerulean City to train them up. Now I do get to Lavendar before we stop, but there is a trainer I need to talk a little about before we get there, who hasn't been as large of an issue thanks to Dig and Sleep on the other runs so far

AJFCJaW2sj-JfcyjNJne0Ow35Ir9KvCyv_SDrXrE

The mandatory trainer with two Geodudes, and a Graveler which can all explode and one shot our Pokemons. Thank goodness for Siesmic Toss on Cell Phone, and Sonic Boom on our Voltorb, as it makes it much easier to get past this little luck gauntlet. Now my plan was to stop at Lavendar town, but I couldn't help myself, I make the short walk to Cerulean to grab our third encounter before signing off

AJFCJaXued0Bep8zgZ8byudgbopZFe2GpBgbNdv2

Future Redeemed is done. It is the end... and the beginning.

Spoiler

The Xenosaga... the Xenosaga is real! Apparently there are references to Xenoblade X and Xenogears too, but the Xenosaga references are the ones I immediately recognized. Alpha's final form seems to be inspired by Deus's final form, which is neat.

It's nice that Alvis got to be a playable character, even if he is technically a girl (sort of, or not male at least) this time. Getting to see the original pre-experiment world was a surprise, it makes FR really feel like the end of the saga. More Trinity Processor lore is good, and the absence of the other two is explained somewhat. Pneuma is Matthew's weapon... somehow, and it also implies that the Sword of the End has something to do with Logos.

The post-credits implies that the two worlds somehow fused back together, how nice (after the base game ending kept them separate for some reason). And is the blue light a reference to Xenosaga Episode III's ending? The KOS-MOS.... the KOS-MOS is real!

Edited by Lightchao42