• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

9 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Yeah sadly NG+ kinda ruins the experience imo by having all affinity chart abilities already unlocked still unlocked.

F

Just gotta find a 0% completion save file then

9 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Why is Monolith so insistent on having a lame NG+? C'mon, Monolith, make NG+ a true challenge instead of a "I get to wreck the enemies that wrecked me on my first playthrough" kinda thing.

I mean, a lot of people seem to enjoy that, judging by the amount of folks that wanted a NG+ in Engage just so they'd get to keep all their broken skills when resetting. At that point I'd just switch to normal/casual, but that's just me.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

*After you get a fourth party member.

Cock.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade 2 NG+ is one of the best NG+ out there thanks to the sheer amount of content it added.

Personally, I prefer games where I don't need NG+ to experience a big chunk of the content, and where NG+ is more of a different way to experience the game when and if I feel like it. Unless it's proper, post-game, post-story content that could only exist after the end of the game, I'd say it's better for content to just... not be locked behind the ending of the game, when I'm probably fulfilled and just looking to go play something else.

Not saying that's how XC2's NG+ is like, I mean, I have no idea. Just saying, this line honestly doesn't sound appealing to me. But I'm the kind of guy who sees "200 hours of content" and doesn't find it an upside, so...

This just in:

RzzYWLG6_o.png

Lindon does not know what lava is.

Actually, it's really weird. Half the army seems to have no idea what lava is, but the other half just... does. I mean, I'd believe that they don't know what lava is, there doesn't seem to be any volcanoes in the Elyos at all. Quite believable, going by the theory that Elyos is the size of a mid-sized municipality. Kagetsu does know, but he mentions there's a volcano in his homeland. But then, why does Rosado know what lava is?

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade 2 NG+ is one of the best NG+ out there thanks to the sheer amount of content it added

I dunno... I think they could have done more with the actual storyline fights and possibly added more UM's.

Why not allow us to raise the enemy levels?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, a lot of people seem to enjoy that, judging by the amount of folks that wanted a NG+ in Engage just so they'd get to keep all their broken skills when resetting. At that point I'd just switch to normal/casual, but that's just me.

I guess I just dont find that enjoyable. 

13 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Never played that one, myself. Interesting.

Wario Land: Shake It! is the sixth and sadly last of its little series. I had fun with it back on the Wii, critic reviews of the time seem to generally place at an 8/10. Soundtrack was criticized as weak, it isn’t exactly a difficult platformer, and it isn’t as “distinctly Wario” as its predecessors (the transformations of WL2-4 are pretty much gone). Nonetheless, the game is solid, with 2D visuals that haven't aged whatsoever.

To give a rundown of the entire Wario Land franchise.:

• Beginnings
    • Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
      • A nice pre-Color Game Boy platformer, rather traditional, but it does introduce Wario’s love of money. Not a “fast” platformer either in terms of the pace at which you go through the levels, which I consider the norm for this series.
    • Virtual Boy Wario Land
      • The title tells you the BIG problem with this game. It’s a Virtual Boy game. Usually singled-out as proof the all-too-early attempt at VR had one good game. Unfortunately, even if emulated, you won’t have the 3D effects, and you’ll still be stuck with the red & black visuals. Never played it myself.
  • Peak Warioness
    • Wario Land 2
      • This is the start of when Wario Land was fully distinctive as a platformer series. Wario literally cannot die, he’s too durable for that. Many of the things he can be hit with cause him to transform.
      • Personally, playing this for the first time on my 3DS, it felt a tad dated. Not bad, but its ideas needed some ironing out.
    • Wario Land 3
      • Like WL2, Wario cannot die and has plenty of transformations. Where this game differs is in its semi-nonlinear level structure, treasures found in one level can modify other levels that you may have to return to and explore again. A chill puzzle-ish platformer all-in-all. Definitely an improvement over WL2.
  • The End
    • Wario Land 4
      • Wario can die again. But, transformations are retained from 2 and 3. You can tackle its four four-level worlds in any order you like after the tutorial one. Platforming is still on the slower side as Wario likes it -until you reach the end of a level that is. Then you need to haul ass and get back to the entrance ASAP! The Super Hard difficulty once unlocked offers a decent challenge I’m told. This was my first Wario Land.
    • Wario Land: Shake It!
      • See what I wrote above. Similar enough to WL4 that one could lump them together in a single loose paradigm.
  • Mediocre Offshoots:
    • Wario: Master of Disguise
      • I never played it, which is probably a good thing as the reviews are quite bad.
    • Wario World
      • Wario in 3D in a sort of beat ‘em platformer. I played this. It’s short, only 8 levels -which are big to compensate, although the game as a whole is still short- and 13 bosses.

My brother while i was playing XBC3 and Engage: "Stop no lifing games"

My brother Totk'ing:

28 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Why not allow us to raise the enemy levels?

I mean, you can kinda do that with the custom difficulty option? You can't directly raise the levels yes, but you can play around with enemy stats

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

mean, you can kinda do that with the custom difficulty option? You can't directly raise the levels yes, but you can play around with enemy stats

"Kinda" being the key phrase here.

And being able to multiply their stats means nothing if they are low in the first place. 

59 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Nintendo is going around and taking down Switch Emulators. Sad days for modders.

What? I can still see Yuzu and Ryujinx up just fine. I was under the impressiin those were the only Switch emulators right now.

Anyway, even if that's the case, I'd give it two days tops before they reappear.

52 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wario Land: Shake It! is the sixth and sadly last of its little series. I had fun with it back on the Wii, critic reviews of the time seem to generally place at an 8/10. Soundtrack was criticized as weak, it isn’t exactly a difficult platformer, and it isn’t as “distinctly Wario” as its predecessors (the transformations of WL2-4 are pretty much gone). Nonetheless, the game is solid, with 2D visuals that haven't aged whatsoever.

To give a rundown of the entire Wario Land franchise.:

• Beginnings
    • Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land
      • A nice pre-Color Game Boy platformer, rather traditional, but it does introduce Wario’s love of money. Not a “fast” platformer either in terms of the pace at which you go through the levels, which I consider the norm for this series.
    • Virtual Boy Wario Land
      • The title tells you the BIG problem with this game. It’s a Virtual Boy game. Usually singled-out as proof the all-too-early attempt at VR had one good game. Unfortunately, even if emulated, you won’t have the 3D effects, and you’ll still be stuck with the red & black visuals. Never played it myself.
  • Peak Warioness
    • Wario Land 2
      • This is the start of when Wario Land was fully distinctive as a platformer series. Wario literally cannot die, he’s too durable for that. Many of the things he can be hit with cause him to transform.
      • Personally, playing this for the first time on my 3DS, it felt a tad dated. Not bad, but its ideas needed some ironing out.
    • Wario Land 3
      • Like WL2, Wario cannot die and has plenty of transformations. Where this game differs is in its semi-nonlinear level structure, treasures found in one level can modify other levels that you may have to return to and explore again. A chill puzzle-ish platformer all-in-all. Definitely an improvement over WL2.
  • The End
    • Wario Land 4
      • Wario can die again. But, transformations are retained from 2 and 3. You can tackle its four four-level worlds in any order you like after the tutorial one. Platforming is still on the slower side as Wario likes it -until you reach the end of a level that is. Then you need to haul ass and get back to the entrance ASAP! The Super Hard difficulty once unlocked offers a decent challenge I’m told. This was my first Wario Land.
    • Wario Land: Shake It!
      • See what I wrote above. Similar enough to WL4 that one could lump them together in a single loose paradigm.
  • Mediocre Offshoots:
    • Wario: Master of Disguise
      • I never played it, which is probably a good thing as the reviews are quite bad.
    • Wario World
      • Wario in 3D in a sort of beat ‘em platformer. I played this. It’s short, only 8 levels -which are big to compensate, although the game as a whole is still short- and 13 bosses.

Wario Land 4 is a masterpiece. I recall playing 1, 2 and Master of Disguise as a kid. Should check them out again, perhaps. I have seen a playthrough of World as well. Those bosses are way too weird.

51 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

My brother while i was playing XBC3 and Engage: "Stop no lifing games"

My brother Totk'ing:

Tell him "look at little Normie Jr. Gonna life?"

38 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

You can also lower your own levels, so..

See, i dislike the choice of "lower the player's level" since your HP is bad the fights cant flow like they should without you dead all of the time. 

This doesn't really equate to challenge imo.

Edit: I don't want "Titan Stamp" blasts to be considered "challenging", since that's just the opposite.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What? I can still see Yuzu and Ryujinx up just fine. I was under the impressiin those were the only Switch emulators right now.

Anyway, even if that's the case, I'd give it two days tops before they reappear.

I don't believe so.

More than likely, yeah.

Edited by Lightcosmo

5 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

I don't believe so.

I just hit the download button for the latest build on Yuzu's website and it started downloading. Where did you get this information? It looks entirely false to me.

I would believe that they started cracking down harder on ROM sites (bit late tho, no? People have been Totking for like two weeks already), but Nintendo can't just take out emulators willy nilly. Emulators themselves aren't illegal.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I just hit the download button for the latest build on Yuzu's website and it started downloading. Where did you get this information? It looks entirely false to me.

I would believe that they started cracking down harder on ROM sites (bit late tho, no? People have been Totking for like two weeks already), but Nintendo can't just take out emulators willy nilly. Emulators themselves aren't illegal.

I think it was called Skyline?

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Personally, I prefer games where I don't need NG+ to experience a big chunk of the content, and where NG+ is more of a different way to experience the game when and if I feel like it.

Xenoblade 2's NG+ is exactly the latter. You're able to recruit most of the villains in a non-canonical manner (as in, you can use them in fights against the villains themselves) and they all have their own Heart-to-Hearts that kinda fleshes them out. A little what-if, if you will.

The devs explicitly stated that NG+ lets you do this because you already saw how the story played out so there's no need for the continuity to remain the same.

15 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

I think it was called Skyline?

Oh, the android one. The website says it has ceased development due to the risk of legal repercussions. From what I'm seeing, I'm not certain whether Nintendo actually did anything or the devs chickened out, but considering Yuzu and Ryujinx show no signs of stopping and the recent event where a Switch hacker had his life destroyed by Nintendo, I would hazard a guess it's the latter.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade 2's NG+ is exactly the latter. You're able to recruit most of the villains in a non-canonical manner (as in, you can use them in fights against the villains themselves) and they all have their own Heart-to-Hearts that kinda fleshes them out. A little what-if, if you will.

The devs explicitly stated that NG+ lets you do this because you already saw how the story played out so there's no need for the continuity to remain the same.

Yeah, that's the good kind of NG+. Playing as villains is always enjoyable.

10 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

If i recall, they were ceasing development since Nintendo came in and was like:

136e56b108d48c1ac68b09acb79c12d3.gif

Someone else will take up the mantle for Android. Piracy is a hydra, you cut down a head and a new two replace it. The way to beat it is to offer a better, simpler service, but we all know Nintendo's not going to do that, so tough luck.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Oh, the android one. The website says it has ceased development due to the risk of legal repercussions. From what I'm seeing, I'm not certain whether Nintendo actually did anything or the devs chickened out, but considering Yuzu and Ryujinx show no signs of stopping and the recent event where a Switch hacker had his life destroyed by Nintendo, I would hazard a guess it's the latter.

Yeah i don't know the details, just heard about it was all. 

Someone else will take up the mantle for Android. Piracy is a hydra, you cut down a head and a new two replace it. The way to beat it is to offer a better, simpler service, but we all know Nintendo's not going to do that, so tough luck.

Considering everytime the Switch updates, Homebrew updates come right after? I agree that's it's not going to stop.

I don't feel bad or anything, i mean i use mods all of the time, since i find their games lackluster and prefer to play my own way.

6 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Yeah i don't know the details, just heard about it was all. 

Looking a bit further into it, I believe Ninty had their sights set on Lockpick, a program that allowed you to extract the encryption keys from your Switch. If I'm not mistaken, this was developed by the same folks as Skyline. Even though the emulator should have been fine, they probably were spooked and shut everything down to avoid Gary Bowser's fate. 30% of your income for the rest of your life is a huge price to pay, after all.

Still, from what I can tell the Skyline devs uploaded the source code when shutting down. It won't take long before someone else picks up where they left off.

6 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Considering everytime the Switch updates, Homebrew updates come right after? I agree that's it's not going to stop.

I think this may be what they were trying to stop.

It won't work lol

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Looking a bit further into it, I believe Ninty had their sights set on Lockpick, a program that allowed you to extract the encryption keys from your Switch. If I'm not mistaken, this was developed by the same folks as Skyline. They probably were spooked and shut everything down to avoid Gary Bowser's fate. 30% of your income for the rest of your life is a huge price to pay, after all.

Still, from what I can tell the Skyline devs uploaded the source code when shutting down. It won't take long before someone else picks up where they left off.

I think this may be what they were trying to stop.

It won't work lol

I think both of these can be wrapped up into "someone is just made different" from those at Nintendo.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

and the recent event where a Switch hacker had his life destroyed by Nintendo

There's actually more to this story that I think simply painting it as "hacker got his life destroyed" just strips it of the legal nuance.

Like I think that punishment was too far but the guys Nintendo went up against weren't some guys in their basement, it was like an actual (digital) piracy ring. Like the Feds were involved in this, this wasn't just a simple copyright infringement case or whatever.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Even though the emulator should have been fine, they probably were spooked and shut everything down to avoid Gary Bowser's fate.

Emulators are 100% legal, the intention is that you play games you own on it. As in you buy the games yourself and then extract the code or whatever. This is why every emulator tells you to do that. It's why Dolphin can go on Steam officially.

But of course most people don't give a shit. They'll just visit rom sites and whatnot. I do too, because I'm not tech-savvy enough to extract the code.

1 minute ago, Lightcosmo said:

Question for those that played Engage's DLC: was it worth the money? I assume it was $30?

You did get actual maps, which is actual content.

But ehhh, maybe $20 would've been better.