Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

He looks like a frenchie

Oi. I'll have you know, I'm half-French and I am not half-walleyed.

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Most complaints happen when the meaning or characterization change. That's not a "localization" anymore.

What if the characterization is better? Like Shadow Dragon Marth?

That poor woman was afraid she wouldn't leave the set alive.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Not to run around in circles, but yeah, this is the problem I have with condemning this kind of thing. More often than not (not always), I end up liking the result better.

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:
  • Japan isn't as against AI as the west is (see: Square Enix claiming they'll be even more aggressive with it this year). I think i've seen more Japanese AI "artists" than western ones. To the point where Pixiv had to set a toggle to hide AI works (and even then some still slip by).

That says more about Square Enix than anything. I mean, their last two new years letter where all about how "NFT"s and the "Metaverse" were the future. yadayada.
This year's letter is hardly a surprise considering that. All the folks participating in the NFT scam are now jumping on the next big grift.

And right now "AI art" is a plague everywhere images are uploaded. Pixiv is not unique in that regard, nor for that AI art toggle.

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Still not not their job tbh...not that i find Marth that good, more on the boring side, so maybe that's why?

Let's go with another example - Trails - the whole series. The OG script, especially Cold steel (but not just) is really really dry, and has a lot of repetition (ckeck amazon jp reviews, alot of "does the writer even know japanese" comments), and the english script, through the series, is usually seen as superior

Yet despite that, there're very rare complaints about intent or characterization change (at least back in my day). The biggest complaint i can remember is changing the name of something in Sky3rd that Falcom already had an english name for.

And i usually do find characterization changes tend to be for the worse rather than for the best, usually.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That poor woman was afraid she wouldn't leave the set alive.

10/10

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

20240103141103-1.jpg

They EAT those gerbils?😮

20240103141157-1.jpg

Dead on first enemy.😆 TBF, they fail to explicitly mention the whole Link's Awakening start regarding equipment.

Although even if they had (Normal difficulty BTW), I'm still reeling from the visual whiplash between then and the now I'm used to.🤣

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

20240103141103-1.jpg

They EAT those gerbils?😮

20240103141157-1.jpg

Dead on first enemy.😆 TBF, they fail to explicitly mention the whole Link's Awakening start regarding equipment.

Although even if they had (Normal difficulty BTW), I'm still reeling from the visual whiplash between then and the now I'm used to.🤣

Ayyyyy Enjoy. Especially the Music 😄

Also you can turn off the border frame thingy if you want

Not even Vestaria Saga is save when it comes to people talking bullshit about localisation. I had the misfortunate of tripping over this when searching for Vestaria Saga related posts.

It's always an anime avatar, isn't it?

Among the many reasons this post is bullshit, one of them is that while people were wondering if Barzelphen would be tweaked in some way, no such thing actually happened.
And lol at thinking that an "AI translation" could surpass the wonderful localized scripts of the Vestaria Saga games.

Also "AI translation"? Back in my day we just called it "using Google Translate". But I guess it sounds nicer if you phrase it like that.

Edited by BrightBow

>Wokelizer

Opinion skipped. Any one who used a term like that gets skipped

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

no such thing actually happened.

Isn't the only "real" change that war profit line, and mainly because fans wanted it lol

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Isn't the only "real" change that war profit line, and mainly because fans wanted it lol

Something like that. Like, it was a mistranslation, but beta testers loved it so it stayed in. That's how the story goes anyway.

23 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Not even Vestaria Saga is save when it comes to people talking bullshit about localisation. I had the misfortunate of tripping over this when searching for Vestaria Saga related posts.

It's always an anime avatar, isn't it?

Among the many reasons this post is bullshit, one of them is that while people were wondering if Barzelphen would be tweaked in some way, no such thing actually happened.
And lol at thinking that an "AI translation" could surpass the wonderful localized scripts of the Vestaria Saga games.

Also "AI translation"? Back in my day we just called it "using Google Translate". But I guess it sounds nicer if you phrase it like that.

Ah yes, "reliable big brother" surely does beat the scripts that made me google words every other chapter because the vocabulary was so fucking advanced. I mean maybe it's more on the level of this guy--

As for where this came from, I thiiiiink at one point Kaga went on record expressing concern that the contents of his games might hurt some Western sensibilities, and this good fella extrapolated from that that he let himself be lectured by The Wokes?

...I mean, spectacular failure on the wokes' end lol, VS2 is the least progressive game I've played in my life.

18 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

>Wokelizer

Opinion skipped. Any one who used a term like that gets skipped

My heart goes out to you. Your points are fair and I totally understand your opinion, but holy shit is it ever common to see people muddle the whole issue by being like "FILTHY SJW REMOVED MY SEXISM, HOW DARE THEY, IT WAS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO ME THAT SEXISM WAS IN THE GAME"

18 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

16 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Something like that. Like, it was a mistranslation, but beta testers loved it so it stayed in. That's how the story goes anyway.

Hey, betatester here! I can confirm, yeah, that's exactly how it went. They initially translated it as "what goes around comes around", which admittedly is more in-line with Jonathan's character, he does say "what goes around comes around" a few times throughout the game.

...But fuck it, "war profiteering is for the good of the people" is a god-tier line and it deserved to exist. The chap in charge agreed, so he went ahead and fixed it.

Also, it's not quite the only liberty. There's also the Roseport merc that has the same face as Amundsen. Originally he just had the same line as every other merc, but then Amundsen became a meme among VS's modest Western fanbase, and so the localizer decided to indulge in a bit of memery. Then a bit later down the line (it happened after my betatesting runs, real last-minute change) they gave almost every Roseport merc their own personalized lines.

Preeetty sure that's about it, so. Yeah.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My heart goes out to you. Your points are fair and I totally understand your opinion, but holy shit is it ever common to see people muddle the whole issue by being like "THEY REMOVED MY SEXISM, HOW DARE THEY, IT WAS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO ME THAT SEXISM WAS IN THE GAME"

It can be pretty damn annoying sometimes tbh

And honestly, when those in the circles i am in start complaining about "woke" i tend to/try to post examples of how the "not woke" do the same thing when it comes to censoring or removing stuff that doesn't fit their taste, or how a minority character can get them to  flip their shit

To me the whole thing isn't a "woke" problem, it's an everyside problem lol, and people not liking stuff from a different culture and trying to fit it to their tastes/world view

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

21 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Totally feels mega retro letting me run around everywhere directionless.😆

And bump combat... feels a bit like a crapshoot.😅 Enemies move and turn around too fast. I might run head first into a baddy and kill them quickly with little harm to Adol, or, he might end up feeling like he screwed up screwing a porcupine, badly.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, it's not quite the only liberty. There's also the Roseport merc that has the same face as Amundsen. Originally he just had the same line as every other merc, but then Amundsen became a meme among VS's modest Western fanbase, and so the localizer decided to indulge in a bit of memery. Then a bit later down the line (it happened after my betatesting runs, real last-minute change) they gave almost every Roseport merc their own personalized lines.

Preeetty sure that's about it, so. Yeah.

Yeah, I figured as much. There is no way all those mercs that primarily exist to NOT be fought got unique quotes.
The Ironbloods all got the same quote too, and you are actually meant to fight those. That and watch them die miserably to generic bandits. Also the Amundsen line was a dead giveaway.

This is basically how the Trails in the Sky translation gave each chest unique text when you investigate them after opening them, instead of giving them all the same generic "This chest is empty" line.

Man what i just wrote sounds like enlightened centrism ™️

Ruben, gimme the award

That, i also like to read and/or have nothing against reading/watching/playing fucked up (and i don't mean (just) sexual) stuff (as long as it's tagged because even i have my yucks) and am very big on "everyone should decide for themselves" so gettinflg treated with the kid gloves tends to piss me off, and i don't think it's right for someone else to decide what's appropriate or not, and that includes localizers.

But that's just me.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Enemies move and turn around too fas

You will get used to it, and magic awaits you in Ys 2!

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Trails in the Sky

My beloved

The chest stuff is a classic

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Hyacinth before

20240103_133823.jpg?ex=65a81ed1&is=6595a

Hyacinth after

20240103_133826.jpg?ex=65a81ed1&is=6595a

I feel as if I’ve learned more about Hyacinth in these two panels then in the entirety of his screen time in Engage.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Guys I think he's dead.

42 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...I mean, spectacular failure on the wokes' end lol, VS2 is the least progressive game I've played in my life.

I suppose there is also Fire Emblem Fates, where of the 8 royal siblings, the female half has basically nothing to contribute to the plot. Every single one of the 4 special weapons also somehow all ended up in the hands of the male siblings. What are the odds?

As garbage ...questionable... as Benette's and Phoeve's arc is, at least you can say it exists. There is always at least an attempt to write for the female cast members instead of merely using them to sell deformed figurines.

To be fair, post-Radiant Dawn Fire Emblem also just doesn't write much in general. Like, I feel Accorte was really wasted in VS2, but she still got more than any Fire Emblem character. Just take that wolf guy in Conquest. In this case the game just casually drops an entire species of sentient humanoid beings into the setting and then instantly forgets about them. It's amazing.

Edited by BrightBow

34 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

You will get used to it,

I grinded for one level outside of the starting town. Now I see what Arma meant when he said one level made all the difference in Origins.

-Not that I mind that.😄

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Re-quoting this b/c I only just noticed the audio selections.😅

I think I'm going to go with the PC-88 originals the whole way through. No offense at all to the remastered renditions, but...

...it's the stuff that put Yuzo Koshiro on the early, ancient map of vg composers. The things he returned to when assembling the osts for the first three EOs. As one loves his work for Etrian Odyssey (albeit I started with IV, where the franchise updated to modern instruments -although 1&2 Untold had old-or-new bgm selection), I feel like I should show him proper respect.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

It can be pretty damn annoying sometimes tbh

And honestly, when those in the circles i am in start complaining about "woke" i tend to/try to post examples of how the "not woke" do the same thing when it comes to censoring or removing stuff that doesn't fit their taste, or how a minority character can get them to  flip their shit

If the anti-wokes had their way nobody could ever have a black, female, etc. main character in anything. But that's not censorship, that's just 🎵 being apolitical 🎵

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Yeah, I figured as much. There is no way all those mercs that primarily exist to NOT be fought got unique quotes

For the record, the line they're all supposed to have is the "you got guts" line that two of the mercs ended up getting in the final product. The others are all made up.

The Ironbloods all got the same quote too, and you are actually meant to fight those. That and watch them die miserably to generic bandits.

In the case of the Ironbloods I'd say it's obviously an intentional joke. I mean, it's basically impossible that nobody would've noticed the hilarity of the backlog being filled with lance resting a few turns into the map lol, and the fact that they keep the death quote when they're dying horribly to generic thieves makes it even clearer.

Also the Amundsen line was a dead giveaway.

But he was S tier...

Man what i just wrote sounds like enlightened centrism ™️

Ruben, gimme the award

image.png?ex=659edf9d&is=658c6a9d&hm=85f

43 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I suppose there is also Fire Emblem Fates, where of the 8 royal siblings, the female half has basically nothing to contribute to the plot. Every single one of the 4 special weapons also somehow all ended up in the hands of the male siblings. What are the odds?

As garbage ...questionable... as Benette's and Phoeve's arc is, at least you can say it exists. There is always at least an attempt to write for the female cast members instead of merely using them to sell deformed figurines.

To be fair, post-Radiant Dawn Fire Emblem also just doesn't write much in general. Like, I feel Accorte was really wasted in VS2, but she still got more than any Fire Emblem character. Just take that wolf guy in Conquest. In this case the game just casually drops an entire species of sentient humanoid beings into the setting and then instantly forgets about them. It's amazing.

Fates is the low hanging fruit lol

I'd sooner compare VS2 to Kaga's other work, because VS2 manages to be one of his worst showings in this regard. Between ruining Hilda, pushing Accorte to the sidelines after setting her up to be a sort of deuteragonist, also setting Bennette up as a deuteragonist for all of two chapters and then making her leave the plot to go to her husband, all of chapter 16, the naked Athol CGs... Hot damn he wasn't even trying. And that's the particularly stinky shit, there's also all the typical Kaga stuff you might expect.

I meant to do a bit of a retrospective, actually, now that I have both games fresh. Because while VS2 is definitely the funner, crazier game of the two, I feel like VS1 is better story-wise. While VS2 has its perks (Cezar, the Cordean NPCs, Baruke), on top of feeling rather pointless because it ends... basically exactly where VS1 ended, the Sollis crew is a lot better written and a lot less wasted than the Miselie crew, the villains are generally better and there's... less contempt against women. Only some, which beats the sequel.

All in all, where's the fabled Berwick Saga editor when you need 'em? We miss you, Editor-kun! Berwick wasn't perfect but fuck, at least it wasn't this bad.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I meant to do a bit of a retrospective, actually, now that I have both games fresh. Because while VS2 is definitely the funner, crazier game of the two, I feel like VS1 is better story-wise. While VS2 has its perks (Cezar, the Cordean NPCs, Baruke), on top of feeling rather pointless because it ends... basically exactly where VS1 ended, the Sollis crew is a lot better written and a lot less wasted than the Miselie crew, the villains are generally better and there's... less contempt against women. Only some, which beats the sequel.

In retrospect I can most certainly see that this is a Gaiden game.

Not that I disagree with promoting the final game to numerical sequel status. It does after all follow up on all this stuff from the VS1 epilogue. Would be weird skipping the whole thing. No one needs another Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories situation.

I do wonder what's with the Athol CG, though. Now I don't mind it on principle. She isn't exactly posed like a pin-up there.
It's just that it draws attention to itself by how random it is. And it raises some unpleasant implications, which are rather awkward to just let hanging like that.

Edited by BrightBow

@Shrimpy -Limited Edition- How the heck did you (I know you did) slay the very first boss in the franchise no-damage on Nightmare??? -The sorcerer with flames shooting out of the walls I mean. Because darned that's cheap. I bought the Long Sword and was at level 5 on my winning attempt where I 3HKO'ed it. What kind of instincts do you need to weave in and out of the flames and bump the thing without getting seriously burned?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

In retrospect I can most certainly see that this is a Gaiden game.

Not that I disagree with promoting the final game to numerical sequel status. It does after all follow up on all this stuff from the VS1 epilogue. Would be weird skipping the whole thing.

It's super weird because it does feel like a sidegame with how... low-impact a lot of the stuff that happens in it is. And yet, at the same time, it resolves the cliffhanger that VS1 ends on. So you really can't skip it. That's about as direct a sequel as it gets.

I do wonder what's with the Athol CG, though. Now I don't mind it on principle. She isn't exactly posed like a pin-up there.

It's just that it draws attention to itself by how random it is. And it raises some unpleasant implications, which are rather awkward to just let hanging like that.

Eh... Knowing all we know about Kaga, the pose does look rather pin-upish to me. Heck even later, in her second CG where she's actually dressed, she's making a really weird pain face that just... I don't know, Kaga man, you have issues.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

..it's the stuff that put Yuzo Koshiro on the early, ancient map of vg composers. The things he returned to when assembling the osts for the first three EOs. As one loves his work for Etrian Odyssey (albeit I started with IV, where the franchise updated to modern instruments -although 1&2 Untold had old-or-new bgm selection), I feel like I should show him proper respect.

enjos Koshiro greatness 😄

45 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

image.png?ex=659edf9d&is=658c6a9d&hm=85f

that reminds me of a pic i saw today on r/de

zxhbf8y598ac1.jpeg?auto=webp&s=3b2320c15

The conservative play

"Let us meet in the middle"

47 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I feel like VS1 is better story-wise

well, VS2 is a gaiden game - a side story

Nether are winning any awards anyway, and VS2 has a unhinged Kaga - so i like it in general more

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How the heck did you (I know you did) slay the very first boss in the franchise no-damage on Nightmare???

I did on Nightmare? I remember doing it, but not on Nightmare xD

But yeah he a bit of a pain - but not that hard. You just need to be patient and not walk into the flames

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Because darned that's cheap

Ys 1 does not have good boss design. I almost rage quit at one there myself

Ys 2 is much better in that regard

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I bought the Long Sword and was at level 5 on my winning attempt where I 3HKO'ed it.

wew

That's alot of grinding

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

ow I see what Arma meant when he said one level made all the difference in Origins.

well, in Ys 1 the max level is 10 btw

But yeah a level makes alot of difference in older Ys games

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

that reminds me of a pic i saw today on r/de

zxhbf8y598ac1.jpeg?auto=webp&s=3b2320c15

The conservative play

"Let us meet in the middle"

I do love how Conservaman just sort of dances further right. There's something really entertaining about that.

well, VS2 is a gaiden game - a side story

A side story that resolves the main cliffhanger VS1 ends on lololol

Nether are winning any awards anyway, and VS2 has a unhinged Kaga - so i like it in general more

Yeah, likewise, but Jesus I'd feel a lot more comfortable loving it if it was less horrid. Would it have killed Kaga to let Bennette, at least, be the deuteragonist for longer than two chapters? I remember it actually shocked me in my second run, realizing just how little time she gets to be relevant. It felt like more in my first run. Roleck has like three times the presence, and Roleck already has a big problem with his lacking presence!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's super weird because it does feel like a sidegame with how... low-impact a lot of the stuff that happens in it is. And yet, at the same time, it resolves the cliffhanger that VS1 ends on. So you really can't skip it. That's about as direct a sequel as it gets.

Wouldn't surprise me if the initial plan was that Zade would only be fighting Cordelia and never even find out that his brother is an imposter, let alone fighting Meleda itself. Then Kaga just kept going and before he knew it Zade already pulled a Sigurd and accidentally conquered a whole kingdom.
I mean, the other gaiden game is like, what, 4 chapters long or so?

Edited by BrightBow