Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

21 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I disagree. Dark Souls is a regular action game with an above average difficulty curve. That's it. It is not comparable to, for the few examples I brought up before and a few more for good measure:

- I Wanna Be The Guy, a meanspirited game intended to incite rage in its players by mean of completely unfair traps.

- Papers Please, a "boring" game that puts you through a repetitive, increasingly more cumbersome day job to sell the hopeless, oppressive atmosphere of its totalitarian regime setting.

- Disco Elyisum, a game with no "combat" in its classic inception, where you play a complete failure of a man whose "boss fight" is an uncomfortable chair and a dialogue tree.

- Who's Lila, a mindfuck where you walk around trying to decipher like 10 layers of mystery that constantly dips in and out of meta.

- Fear & Hunger, a niche RPG that thrives in being absolute bullshit because it suits the vibe it wants to go for. Though I hesitate to bring that one up as I've not played it myself. Really gotta sooner than later.

What I'm trying to say is, they may not be as common (because we live in capitalism and niche stuff doesn't sell), but weirder games that aren't "fun" do exist. They're out there, if you look for them. Dark Souls is not one of them.

20 hours ago, ping said:

I think I brought it up in a previous discussion, but I think Brenda Romero's Trains fits into that list very well, too. And while it goes into a very different direction, You Have to Burn the Rope is a nice example of a purposefully un-fun game, too.

I do find it funny that there was a whole little discussion about games not having to be fun while I was away, and nobody brought up the poster child of games not having to be fun, Pathologic.

19 hours ago, Armagon said:

I will say though that these are the "rules" of "the game". In theory, if you follow the rules of the game, it becomes "fun" for both player and audience. At the same time, you don't always find those rules to be "fun" either because you think the rules suck or you just hate the rules and don't want to play the game anymore. It's like sports, someone can like the rules of baseball but not like the rules of soccer.

Such a purely instrumental view of play, abandoning the interplay between free play and instrumental play that videogames in particular often find themselves in tension between.

For a little context here, as I just dropped two terms out of nowhere, instrumental play is like children chasing eachother in a game of football, whereas free play is children chasing eachother because it is simply fun to chase people around; one is about goals and rules, and the other is far more self directed or for its own sake.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

GFLtxf7XIAAucF-.png?ex=65d034a4&is=65bdb

This was unironically used as a negative in a P3R review, you cannot make this shit up bruh. 

Like yeah, no shit it's not Persona 5 bro. It's called "Persona 3 Reload".

Utterly disrespectful of the far superior Persona 3 there.

• Replies 177.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's it. I'm going back in time to make this series tank so hard it stops Persona 5 from ever being made and preventing dumbass takes like this from being used unironically

Stop cold steel while you are it

And the internet going mainstream so we can have some peace and less uncles in family chats posting shitty facebook links 😛

Yazan still pilots his Hambrabi. Curiously, its Spider Web attack calls two other Hambrabi to execute the attack, but I'm pretty sure Yazan has the only Hambrabi that shows on-map in the game. By all accounts, those two other Hambrabi should be piloted by Yazan's flunkies, Dangel and Ramsus, but best I know, V does not show any sign of them. No dialogue or portraits. Not even in the Spider Web attack itself. So they could be two generic grunts for all we know.

Jerid, meanwhile, is an interesting case. He has a Byarlant Custom. The Byarlant is a Zeta-era MS, but the Custom is from Unicorn. Seems Zeta era mechs were considered too outdated (even though they're only one year older from ZZ-era models) to still be used. Or maybe they didn't want to bother, since the Byarlant Custom had to be used due to Unicorn, so might as well. The Hambrabi doesn't have an updated model used in Unicorn, in contrast, so Yazan gets to keep it. Same for Rakan's Doven Wolf, I'm guessing.

Buran is in the same boat. In Zeta he would often have an Asshimar, but here he's in an Anksha, which is the Asshimar's successor/upgrade that shows up in Unicorn.

As for Gauron, he's in his old Codarl/Chodar, aka Venom. Looking up the FMP wiki... well, at the very least, he's definitely sticking around longer than in his original canon. Not just him, but other FMP bosses present here. Not gonna go into a lot of detail here, for when Interdimensional finally plays W and sees it for himself, hehehe.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Such a purely instrumental view of play, abandoning the interplay between free play and instrumental play that videogames in particular often find themselves in tension between.

Well it was in response to "what if the game is designed unconventionally". I was arguing it would still be "fun" even with that.

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Stop cold steel while you are it

It's been stopped by sheer virtue of Persona being stopped.

This also stops Three Houses. Finally, the world will have peace.

Wait...

*looks up*

Huh, the Döven Wolf does have a Unicorn-era upgrade, the Silver Bullet. So why is Rakan still in the Wolf? Maybe it's more iconic to him while Jerid and Buran could afford piloting their mech upgrades? Or maybe Rakan will upgrade later in the game...? Who knows!

Okay, had Ple attack and Marida and... wait, hold on. Akurasu says this give the +3, but I'm also checking a different site which states it's Judau attacking her that gives the +3. Then it also says Banagher has to defeat her, but Akurasu only says fighting is enough. Uh, hmm...

Okay, I'll just have Banagher defeat her just to be sure. Either way, I'll have more than the six points anyway.

Okay, had Amuro defeat Jerid, and Hathaway defeat Yazan. Both websites agree on what to do, so I feel certain I got both Titans points.

Defeating Marida has her bail out of her exploding mech.

Captain Otto: Get the ground combat troops to apprehend her!

Me: We have ground troops?

51 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This also stops Three Houses. Finally, the world will have peace.

Me ceasing to exist because of the altered timeline

200.gif

After typing my most recent post in this topic, I was going to start up GC. However, I found myself needing like ten minutes to exhale. Talking back-and-forth about SRW elevated my happiness levels so high I couldn't actually focus properly.🤣 I had to lower Ecstasyium energy output down to controllable levels before continuing, although there's no risk of a catastrophic explosion with that miraculous power.😄

Anywho...

Episode 48

• Very straightforward, the Poseidal Regular Army attacks again, Daba recognizes the voice of who is demanding the immediate surrender. The heroes deploy at the decoy base again.
  • Same map as last time, but now I start in the center and there's enemies in all directions. Gablae is here, but he exchanges no antagonisms with Daba and co.. No reinforcements either, other than Olibee and her watchdog deploying in normal Calvary Temples after sinking their ship.
  • Daba has his encounter with his stepsister/former-fiancee, tries to persuade her back to normal, Poseidal starts speaking through her and he recognizes it. She flees the map destabilized and Daba's friends have to stop him giving pursuit.
    • The heroes focus on heading to Sveto to launch their attack, Daba is given alone time to process things. They don't want the Rebel Army to see him like this to avoid dealing a morale hit, as Posaydal obviously had intended.
  • Giwaza and Nei are then seen they'll join in on the attack on the Rebels once they reach Gustgal. Oddly for her importance, no appearance of Full Flat.

Sub-Episode 48

• Just another grinding battle with one set of leaderless enemies. The pre-battle plot this time has Kento asking for more weapons for Daltanious, is told to find new uses for what he has. The suggestion of using the Hyperspace Energy as a barrier is made, great idea! Arle warns about doing that, but nothing bad happens in battle.
    • Hyperspace Energy Release is 1-5 range, no post-movement, 80 EN, 5000 base power. And basically the Sonic Breaker of the Guarlion (OG1 is a foundational mecha memory for me, excuse the comparison), but on fire.🔥 Late, but not bad. I do wish one of these three Daltanious bonus attacks had been a real good MAP though.
  • After the battle, some heroes are concerned about repeated Posaydal attacks and how they lead to the eventual discovery of the Rebel Army's real headquarters. The White Base Corps gotta launch their own regicidal offensive before then.
  • Also, Akimi tells Fairey that Sally is reserved towards her, likely Fairey says because it'd like a betrayal of Gadisword to her.
    • Fairey then visits S&S, says their mechs are almost fully restored -but they can't take and them & leave. Sally wants to return to Gadisword, and criticizes Sieg, who looks increasingly willing to trust and fight with the heroes. Maybe he'll even join during the attack on Posaydal.
      • (Or, Sieg could join the fight after Posaydal if Gadisword shows up then. Seems reasonable they'd do so, to fill the chapter before I presumably turn to defeating the Zarl-Robot Empires. They seem like the natural next target, barring a Nubian surprise. Muge will be Last-License-to-Die this time methinks.)
  • While this is the last SRW GC "secret" (they're mostly pretty obvious here, or simply earned from completing the these optional missions), I happened to see on Akurasu that this isn't the last Sub-Scenario. There will be at least one more chance to grind.

Dreamers Again is going to be a two-parter I see. Spatchcocking Giwaza in the first fight I imagine, second has to be Posaydal. Makes sense, feels like there's too much L-Gaim to narratively get through in a single fight without it being too dense.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That seems to be the curious thing. Just about every reused series in NEO is post-script, except for Raijin-oh, and likely since NEO uses the entire franchise. Not unlike GC doing it for the J9 trilogy.

Eld-ran Tril-lo-gy!

Eld-ran Tril-lo-gy!

🤩

Do I know anything about them besides this? No. Do I have in order to be excited about them? No!😆

Rare licenses in SRW, made even better by bringing the natural siblings all together. Gimme!🤗 

Curse the language barrier. I hunger!

Hahaha, New Getter Robo does seem to be so out of place there, eh? XD

Like, why there and no place else?🤔 New Getter Robo unpopular among Getter fans? Does it feature little child versions of the Getter Team? Just the whims of Banpresto?

Well, Alpha Gaiden still has that, I believe. Though the focus is a bit limited, since the characters slowly rejoin throught the game. It begins with Tetsuya and Jun, then shortly after Boss, then the Voltes team, and so on.

Having Tetsuya and Jun be the focus characters on the "must find out where we are and reunite with everyone else" is a curious decision, but as I think I mentioned before, Alphaverse seems to treat Tetsuya with a bigger focus for some reason. He even got to star in an official(?) short manga taking place during Alpha 1, before he joins the group. That manga is also interesting since Sanger and Fau Egret also have appearances there.

I mean, isn't he technically equal with Kouji, minus the whole came-second thing? Isn't Great Mazinger mostly Tetsuya-focus with Kouji only showing up later?

TearRing_Saga_Series__Berwick_Saga_-_Lazberia_Chronicle_Chapter_174_SLPS-25497_20240203203213.png?ex=65d10b0a&is=65be960a&hm=f2e661291f41235fda568a4d3bd93e8196f006c6017a8146a1c3611f4ad1b868&

One of these days I really oughta try to play this map without doing this to myself.

Funnily enough, crippling Garos ended up being the easiest part of the map. Chaos took a whole bunch of attempts until Dean decided to stop being an idiot and cooperate. But Garos and Agvan both got swiftly crippled by Ward. I fed him a thing that gave him 2x crippling rate and it put in some work. Garos was crippled on the second reload. Not bad.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I do find it funny that there was a whole little discussion about games not having to be fun while I was away, and nobody brought up the poster child of games not having to be fun, Pathologic.

I thought of it but considering I've basically only watched one video about it (the video, of course), I preferred to offer examples that were more close to me.

But, yes. There's another one.

38 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Me ceasing to exist because of the altered timeline

200.gif

Would I truly sacrifice this really cool person I know in exchange for a Three Housesless timeline?

...Okaaaay, I'll stay in the Three Houses timeline... Grumble grumble...

Okay, the route split is over. Time for Scenario 26.

The heroes took refuge on Melida Island. Seems there's now a sub-plot of Officer Sanada proving into AS's... but also Kaname and Sosuke. He at least got Tessa to reveal about the Whispered (seems it's being kept a secret even to the player party). Then out of nowhere... there's a Code: Angel alarm. Now it's off to Japan...

For finally, Rebuild of Evangelion is making its presence. It, Shin Mazinger, and Getter Robo Armagddon are the only series left to have their plots seen. While we at least got Tetsuya and Ryoma on the team, and fought Metal Beast Invaders a coupe times, Rebuild had nothing so far showing up in the game. Now, that changes. Since at the time the fourth movie had yet to release, V only uses the plot of the other thr... wait. No, actuall, only the first two movies have their plot happen here. The third is only here for unit appearances. Which makes sense, considering what... uh, happens at the end of the second movie.

Anyway, this was a curious decision for SRW to do. SRW L debuted Rebuild, when only the first two movies had debuted, and even then it had to cut their plot short since... well, there was nothing else to use! Z3 likewise used the first two movies for Jigoku-Hen, then debuted the third movie in Tengoku-Hen. V is currently its last appearance, not counting DD, and once again is being used only in part. DD could finally use the plot of the fourth movie, but I don't even know if they'll use the third's in the first place.

Anyway, we now have Shinji versus Sachiel, the Thir... er, Fourth Angel. Rebuild added one new Angel before Sachiel. Why? I don't remember. So now the Angel numbers are +1 in Rebuild. But at last, the Mazinger Team finally make their appearance too to help out! And so...

The whole sequence is a cutscene. Which is... odd. Sachiel has a map model, battle sprite, and animations. But it's all being skipped on the gameplay. So now it's... the Mazinger Team vs. Berserked Unit-01. Okay then! Federation MS's show up, but are AI drones that attack everyone indiscriminately. Also... huh, is Shin Mazinger Koji meant to be somewhat prescient? He seems to immediately tell they were drones, and also that they couldn't reson with the Berserked EVA. Okay then. Surely this will be explained later.

Hmm... Unit-01 is marked as a green unit. Different from the yellow-green I've been seeing. So... at some point there could be a four-way battle? Who knows...

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Eld-ran Tril-lo-gy!

Eld-ran Tril-lo-gy!

🤩

Do I know anything about them besides this? No. Do I have in order to be excited about them? No!😆

Rare licenses in SRW, made even better by bringing the natural siblings all together. Gimme!🤗 

Curse the language barrier. I hunger!

Man, I wish I could too, heh.

All the rest of the games, too. I can play them with my limited Japanese knowledge, but yeah, it's so so precious to be able to play them in English. Whether official (like VTX and 30) or not (fan translations).

Like, why there and no place else?🤔 New Getter Robo unpopular among Getter fans? Does it feature little child versions of the Getter Team? Just the whims of Banpresto?

On the contrary, they're the wildest/toughest/foulest version of the team yet in SRW! Even more than Armageddon's version of them! Which makes them so... out of place, since almost everything else is cheerful idealistic with kid and teen teams. I think it is one thing NEO gets criticized for, however. That it might seem too kiddy at first glance.

I mean, isn't he technically equal with Kouji, minus the whole came-second thing? Isn't Great Mazinger mostly Tetsuya-focus with Kouji only showing up later?

Well, yeah, but when you consider SRW has Koji present for Great Mazinger, it lessens Tetsuya's protagonism somewhat. But I feel it's more than usual. Like, involved in more than just his own series' stuff. As I mentioned, he got focus on that one-shot manga.

34 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Kaga's vision would probably just be Berwick Saga, but with Pegasus Knights.

I doubt Berwick Saga as we know and love would've existed without the whole lawsuit fiasco/if Kaga was able to take the IP with him

33 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okaaaay, I'll stay in the Three Houses timeline... Grumble grumble...

Time to Steins;Gate, Teehee edition

Find a world without 3H but with Sing

El

Psy

Kongroo

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

As for Gauron, he's in his old Codarl/Chodar, aka Venom. Looking up the FMP wiki... well, at the very least, he's definitely sticking around longer than in his original canon. Not just him, but other FMP bosses present here. Not gonna go into a lot of detail here, for when Interdimensional finally plays W and sees it for himself, hehehe.

Thank you for being conscious of I.😃

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Dangel and Ramsus,

🧐

...Not the first mecha-related person by that name I've heard of.

Also, "Dangel" triggered thoughts of Jangal and Dungele.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Huh, the Döven Wolf does have a Unicorn-era upgrade, the Silver Bullet. So why is Rakan still in the Wolf?

GC doesn't have those, despite having a few ZZ mobile suits around. It does have the Zaku III, which Rakan gets instead, despite the Doven being stated in the database as canonically chosen for mass production over the Alteisuit third-generation Zaku. Maybe because they had the Zaku II model as a base to easily modify into the III?

59 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Me: We have ground troops?

You have the Full Metal Panic crew, they can work double-duty. (Or the Shuffle Alliance in T.)

-Though I get, it's mecha. Too lazy to invent/find an NPC to serve as a... Base Infiltration Team Captain? Who also serves as Head Security Officer in the emergency that the enemy tries boarding the heroic battleships. Not sure what title to give them.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

On the contrary, they're the wildest/toughest/foulest version of the team yet in SRW! Even more than Armageddon's version of them!

😳

...I'm up for them.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Which makes them so... out of place, since almost everything else is cheerful idealistic with kid and teen teams. I think it is one thing NEO gets criticized for, however. That it might seem too kiddy at first glance.

Adding in the experimental conversion to a gridless format, and the lack of Real series, even if NEO had a translation, I wouldn't recommend it for an SRW first-timer. The kiddy appearance would be off-putting to some. -I've been properly conditioned for SRW by this point, so go ahead and throw the elementary school warriors at me thanks FE!

...I'd like to see another NEO, even though I haven't played the one that exists.😆 The pure-Super concept is interesting, and they could very well do it very differently in a sequel, given the great spectrum of Super stories. Alas, development costs are too high nowadays, and licenses cost $$$.

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

SRW L debuted Rebuild, when only the first two movies had debuted, and even then it had to cut their plot short since... well, there was nothing else to use!

And here I thought having no idea whatsoever of what it was, that each Rebuild of Evangelion movie represented its own separate and complete remake of the original anime, each going in a different direction. Not a single narrative, but maximizing milking of a much-famed anime name. -I'm not being cynical when I say this.😀

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

TearRing_Saga_Series__Berwick_Saga_-_Lazberia_Chronicle_Chapter_174_SLPS-25497_20240203203213.png?ex=65d10b0a&is=65be960a&hm=f2e661291f41235fda568a4d3bd93e8196f006c6017a8146a1c3611f4ad1b868&

One of these days I really oughta try to play this map without doing this to myself.

Dude should give you a copy of Vajra with lowered Rank requirement (maybe 20?) and perhaps A durability for 51 uses instead of the 101 of S for doing this.

Actually, you should've inputted the cheat code for Enemies Drop All Their Stuff, then hacked Ward the Expert skill and 100 EXP. Now that'd be a worthwhile reward.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...Not the first mecha-related person by that name I've heard of.

First thought was, "Xeno?" Looked it up and... yeah, it was Xeno. XD

Also, "Dangel" triggered thoughts of Jangal and Dungele.

Name does sound similar, but no relation, haha.

GC doesn't have those, despite having a few ZZ mobile suits around. It does have the Zaku III, which Rakan gets instead, despite the Doven being stated in the database as canonically chosen for mass production over the Alteisuit third-generation Zaku. Maybe because they had the Zaku II model as a base to easily modify into the III?

I guess so. Making models is more work than sprites, after all.

You have the Full Metal Panic crew, they can work double-duty. (Or the Shuffle Alliance in T.)

-Though I get, it's mecha. Too lazy to invent/find an NPC to serve as a... Base Infiltration Team Captain? Who also serves as Head Security Officer in the emergency that the enemy tries boarding the heroic battleships. Not sure what title to give them.

There's certainly a lot of nameless unseen people with any given party group. All those battleships have to be staffed, after all. So they having a squad of commandos or something isn't unreasonable. Heck, thanks to Unicorn, we do have the ECOAS group which got assigned to Londo Bell. We do get two of them as mecha pilots, but the group in general is meant to be specialized in all kinds of combat, including as infantry.

Adding in the experimental conversion to a gridless format, and the lack of Real series, even if NEO had a translation, I wouldn't recommend it for an SRW first-timer. The kiddy appearance would be off-putting to some. -I've been properly conditioned for SRW by this point, so go ahead and throw the elementary school warriors at me thanks FE!

...I'd like to see another NEO, even though I haven't played the one that exists.😆 The pure-Super concept is interesting, and they could very well do it very differently in a sequel, given the great spectrum of Super stories. Alas, development costs are too high nowadays, and licenses cost $$$.

Yeah, NEO is quite unconventional. Still, that ain't have to be a bad thing. But yeah, maybe not as your first SRW.

And yeah, they could revisit the "Only Super Robots" concept again. And maybe give G Gundam more representation this time around! Give me Tequila Gundam, you cowards!

And here I thought having no idea whatsoever of what it was, that each Rebuild of Evangelion movie represented its own separate and complete remake of the original anime, each going in a different direction. Not a single narrative, but maximizing milking of a much-famed anime name. -I'm not being cynical when I say this.😀

Oh, no! Rebuild starts as an adaptation of the original, but then it starts deviating more and more, finally culminating with the end of the second movie, where Shinji triggers Third Impact, which is as catastrophic as the Second, and then a big time skip happens. So the third movie begins with a completely new plot.

On the subject, I do wish SRW used the original TV series again. But it seems Rebuild is here to stay... or not? Hope not.

9 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I doubt Berwick Saga as we know and love would've existed without the whole lawsuit fiasco/if Kaga was able to take the IP with him

Yeah, a lot of it was just Kaga trying to skirt another lawsuit. He seemed to like the FE formula as it was, probably wouldn't have changed it up this dramatically had it not been for the lawsuits.

...funny how I have Nintendo's copyright persecution to thank for one of my favorite games ever.

9 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Time to Steins;Gate, Teehee edition

Find a world without 3H but with Sing

El

Psy

Kongroo

HYUUU

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Dude should give you a copy of Vajra with lowered Rank requirement (maybe 20?) and perhaps A durability for 51 uses instead of the 101 of S for doing this.

Could be balanced by making it "break" during the fight and when you get it it's orange or something. And it cannot be repairstoned because it's too fancy. Still, even then, you could just nulify ballistae for the rest of the game with that... And Chaos not having his fancy sword in the finale would change things quite a bit.

Still, just getting to see Volo's arc without sacrificing Faye is reward enough, I'd say. Boy deserves to get his thing.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually, you should've inputted the cheat code for Enemies Drop All Their Stuff, then hacked Ward the Expert skill and 100 EXP. Now that'd be a worthwhile reward.

Better yet: Give Ward the kill. There's the 100 EXP!

...Actually, no, that just gives him 95. And then he's likely to go the rest of the game without getting any more lol Ok so feed him Garos too

Defeating enough dragons, and now... Shamshel, the Fifth Angel (Fourth in the TV series) shows up. Oh come on, it's the same stage! But I guess this is why Sachiel is cutscene defeated instead, then. Two Angels for the price of one. And now Shinji deploys again, accompanied by Rei. And right off the bat SRW delivers its usual "change Shinji for the better" spiel. Shinji oh so deserved that respite and help.

Also... huh, the Eva's Umbilical Cables work different here from previous games. Or perhaps this is different due to Rebuild? Either way, the way it used to work was that the Eva's needed to be attached to a battleship, or to certain buildings if on Tokyo-3 maps. This limited their movement as they had to be chained to the battleship, or the building. Now, here the cables simply act as a EN Regen. Well, it's better, so sure, what the heck.

Edited by Acacia Sgt