Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Got back to Eternights after another several days' absence, it's all I want to play on the laptop right now, and I can't really think of anything to play in this window before UO on the Switch. -But I'm being annoyingly to myself veeeeery particular when I allow myself to play Eternights.๐Ÿ˜†

I'm realizing my "work then play" plan is definitely the opposite of what should be done with this game. Bonding before the next (rather short) dungeon is much better. Since combat provides almost no character-strengthening whatsoever, as stats and skills almost entirely get stronger from bonding alone. Still being an ARPG, dodge enough while landing the occasional hit and you'll eventually win. -Though I did have to resort to temporarily lowering things to easy mode on the second boss after a few tries. Partly because before getting to the boss there was a mandatory mini-game with no "skip" option๐Ÿ˜ย that I had messed up on several times, so my reflexes were already worn (thank goodness there was a checkpoint in the room with the boss).๐Ÿ˜…ย The game didn't say what easy does, but certainly I was taking less damage, though what i wonder is whether it slows enemy attack speed or widens the slo-dodge window.

Still very much a cheesy game, and you can notice that it's a one-person project, but I'm liking it.๐Ÿ˜€

ย 

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Another one

Gotta hope the newly-unemployed manage to land on their feet soon enough. Ideally in small game studios they themselves found, that in turn achieve whatever small business game development success looks like (ever so closer to bankruptcy, ever so safer from the stockholders). Again, highly doubtful with only so many gamers out there and so many games as is. But one would like to hope that all these sad amputations can have some positive longer-term meaning, like saplings emerging from the ground after a terrible wildfire.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

I feel like the demo provided enough content that anyone who was sold on it will be positive on it.

Fair point.

I'll admit I'm not actually psyched up at all for UniO, despite doing all those art postings. But then overt excitement over a game doesn't happen that often with me.๐Ÿ˜…ย 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

It does say Sting stated it will go on Mobile and Steam too. Would be weird to not have it go International...

It might be like Yggdra Union, where it took a while for international releases, but they did arrived in the end.

In any case... Nice, this could finally be my chance to try it out.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

cfYq64WErm0SDmsOiqqVzV.jpg?ex=65f27ff1&i

LNnkCrltdz4YPf8SSZTMao.jpg?ex=65f27ff1&i

2YvMZugNJ9JvczH2klaulw.jpg?ex=65f27ff1&i

I'm not falling for your tricks this time old man.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Fair point.

Also the Famitsu review came out today. 36/40. For reference:

• GrimGrimoire - Famitsu = 28/40
  • Odin Sphere - Famitsu = 32/40
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade - Famitsu = 34/40
  • Dragon's Crown - Famitsu = 34/40
  • 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim - Famitsu = 38/40

Note that these were the original versions so no Leifthrasir and Rebirth and OnceMore. Leifthrasir at least also got the 36/40.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm not falling for your tricks this time old man.

The bald and the armor caused me to think it was Boze (+I'm trying to get sleepy) before the brain quickly registered that it wasn't.

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Note that these were the original versions so no Leifthrasir and Rebirth and OnceMore. Leifthrasir at least also got the 36/40.

I know Famitsu tends to get criticized for its scores. But that does equate to a 9/10, a good sign even if you "should" deduct a point from a Famitsu rating.

I was almost involved in a fandom war

1163076787262206052.webp?size=128&qualit

21 hours ago, Armagon said:

onor can be used to hire mercenaries, as well as expanding Squads

and promotions as well

That said - the whole generics idea i am not exactly keen on - on how it's handled i mean -ย  but we will see

20 hours ago, Armagon said:

ย 

Time to become mainstream

and bad

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

tbf

Famitsu reviews are generally untrustworthy.

24 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I was almost involved in a fandom war

1163076787262206052.webp?size=128&qualit

Not fire Emblem related, I take it?

On 2/27/2024 at 10:44 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

I can't believe you used a vehicle. I'm going to assume you heard of this at the city, but people walk for days through northern Spain until they get to Santiago on foot. They call that the Path of Santiago. It's actually a rather big cultural deal in Spain.

Heck, even I know that one. One of my cousins spent a while in Spain, and I think he ended up walking the Path of Santiago at some point. He had a funny story about the Pope giving out indulgences for those taking the Path of Santiago and trying to get them to forgive the sin of being an atheist from it for the laughs.

ย 

On 2/27/2024 at 1:12 PM, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

No, it's the norm, and honestly, and after how many examples i post - which i did quite plenty in the different talks of loc issues we had - it's beyond "cherry picking".

It really isn't. To use the example I know best of the ones you posted, FE games, there hasn't been a moment where they had to fix a translation after release after massive outcry, or talk about the localizers going behind anyone's back to change things. Sure it isn't perfect, and never will be due to the interpretive nature of localization, but things are nowhere as dire as you paint them.

ย 

am i putting where i work at and talking about my personal work experience?

There's quite a few different levels between "Imma complain about work in general here" and "I will talk about all details of work here and hate on anyone who asks questions".

If i post here where i work at and my real name and complain about work specific stuff and hate on all the clients openly like these people do you are free to call me out (and most likely i would be rightfully fired by then)

Or maybe call me out when i respond to your work related questions by swearing at you ๐Ÿ™‚

For someone who hates the monotony of work, you are really bending yourself over backwards to justify why localizer should have no complaints about a bunch of strangers on the internet trying to prevent them from having any time off from their work, or the monetary compensation that would normally come with doing all this extra work.

ย 

And i do find your view also massively skewed towards official localizations - and in fact almost everyone's here. I still follow fan translation groups in alot of niche media - there's alot of drama, but also alot of community input and love. yet without them the series wouldn't be even known here nor would there be an official localization. And if there's one, fan groups need to fix it anyway as it ends up being subpar.

And without the era of fan translations, most of us wouldn't be even here.

There are more problems with the wild west of fan translation than official localizations, but you don't see me talking about harassing fanslators online to try and solve those issues. Also you are really dismissing the role official translations had in why most of us are here; I doubt you can find many people here who didn't either play an officially translated FE game or Smash Bros game to introduce them to the series before they dove into fanslations. You need both.

ย 

On 2/27/2024 at 1:54 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

ย 

Well, of those three fanslations, two were so excruciatingly deplorable that I dropped both mangas in large part because of them. The doofuses were translating from English, so badly that I could just read the Google Translate every other sentence. Unironically, I could've done a better job.

Its less common than that in English, but I have definitely seen quite a few manga chasing the first to translate views with English so bad that I wondered if anyone other than google knew English in the translation team. Honestly, I was surprised by Shrimpy trying to paint manga fanslation as in a better position than videogames, when it has some very serious (if slightly different) issues with it as well (I guess anime was included in the portmantau used, and I haven't payed enough attention to them recently enough to really judge).

ย 

On 2/27/2024 at 2:10 PM, Newtype06 said:

ย 

Context: I started a game as the Count of Anglesey in 769 and quickly formed Brythoniaid (Wales) and established a foothold in Lloegyr (*ngland). A generation later, the Empire of Prydain is formed and my goal of purging all traces of Anglo-Saxon culture from the islands begins in earnest.

On a related note, the Charlemagne start date SUCKS ASS! If you're not playing as Charlie with Story Events on, Asturias or as the Byzzies trying to restore Rome, Central Europe degenerates into heresies, paganism and bordergore shitshow. And it gets even worse if the Umayyads form Hispania and invade Aquitaine (this happens 99% of the time).

Oddly enough, I think I have seen the opposite problem more with the 769 start, where all of western Europe consolidates into a super HRE, unless the player is close enough to kill it in its infancy.

ย 

On 2/27/2024 at 2:34 PM, Newtype06 said:

I LOST MY SRW J SAVE, NO!!!!!!!!

Oof...

ย 

On 2/27/2024 at 3:58 PM, GuardianSing said:

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J303.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J304.png

The saddest part about this death is that I never got to see her promoted animations.

It does suck how NPCs have battle animations off, but I am slightly glad to see Quan outlive her there, so you got to see Travant threaten the Gae Bolg out of Quan's hands.

ย 

ย 

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J308.png

I- How did you get here?

Lol, I guess they figured you were done with promoting by this point.

ย 

ย 

Personally if feel that if you're gonna make a game where the player gets to decide who marries who, you should just make everyone bisexual at that point, why limit yourself, they're gonna write fanfiction about it anyways.

Personally, I would prefer to see NPC sexuality used to characterize them a bit more. Make some of them actually gay, not just bi for the protagonist. Even more extreme, I think it would be interesting if some characters weren't interested in the player in spite of them showing interest in other people of the same gender.

ย 

On 2/27/2024 at 4:25 PM, Lightchao42 said:

The next game will be either Johto or Unova related-- By Arceus, it's Zygarde with a steel chair!

I thought Pokemon Legends Celebi to be more likely (Celebi is the time travel pokemon...), but with Kalos's ancient war, I knew it would be ripe for an early Legends entry, and thought it more likely than anything Unova related.

ย 

19 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Screenshot_2023-10-10_152607.png?ex=65f1

So just throwing some ideas...

Just a pair of flame emperors trying to make the world a better place by cracking a few good eggs ๐Ÿ˜›ย 

ย 

19 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Give Ethlyn a side quest to get her daughter back so she can be in Thracia 1776 or whatever it's called.

Hey now, the "In America" translation has been outdated for a while now ๐Ÿ˜›ย 

Although on a less silly note, there was some talk early in development about a third arc to the game, about the second generation exploring what became of the first generation after the time skip, and this sounds like it could have fit into that older scrapped plan nicely.

23 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

you are really bending yourself over backwards to justify why localizer should have no complaints about a bunch of strangers on the internet trying to prevent them from having any time off from their work

There's quite a level of difference about complaining and directly attacking and outright spiting the fans, but you do you.

And if you think you can be rude during offwork hours in work related matters without any consequences, do i have news for you.

23 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

but you don't see me talking about harassing fanslators online to try and solve those issues

and where did i say that harassment is the way to solve those issues?

And while harassment is an issue yes, questioning and having problems with the translations are not "harassment". You are just collectively deciding everyone complaining is "harassing".

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

That said - the whole generics idea i am not exactly keen on - on how it's handled i mean -ย  but we will see

Wdym?

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

tbf

Famitsu reviews are generally untrustworthy.

Famitsu reviews are always weird cause their scoring system is wack. But I do like that it's always multiple people each time.

42 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

There are more problems with the wild west of fan translation than official localizations

Side note but with official localization companies such as Crunchyroll making an active move towards AI translations, I guarantee we're gonna start seeing more fantranslations again.

38 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

ย 

And while harassment is an issue yes, questioning and having problems with the translations are not "harassment". You are just collectively deciding everyone complaining is "harassing".

Who are you trying to fool with this cherry picking of the handful of "good" eggs (in "" as many like to look like they are from the outside even when they aren't) in the basket as a reason to condemn the actions of localizers, while pretending these localizers aren't responding to the far more numerous bad eggs already thrown at them. You should know the internet well enough to see what is going on. I am reminded of a comment about Gamer Gate, even those not sending death threats and rape threats benefit from the terror caused by those that are.

ย 

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Side note but with official localization companies such as Crunchyroll making an active move towards AI translations, I guarantee we're gonna start seeing more fantranslations again.

Oh boy, that is going to be rough for those watching Crunchyroll.

49 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wdym?

Same problems some of modern FE games (like 3H and Engage) have - Unit identity

But verdict after full game

49 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I guarantee we're gonna start seeing more fantranslations again.

good

Honestly, it's sad that so many are cheering on Ai translations becoming more common - especially since good translators will be replaced too - but that is sadly the reality of the industry....and the fact that the bad localizers made the fans unwilling to defend translators.

33 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Who are you trying to fool with this cherry picking of the handful of "good" eggs (in "" as many like to look like they are from the outside even when they aren't) in the basket as a reason to condemn the actions of localizers, while pretending these localizers aren't responding to the far more numerous bad eggs already thrown at them.

I am active in different animanga and gaming communities - the "good" eggs are far more than a fucking handful, communication with good and beloved localizers happen more often than you think (infact, just witnessed one happen yesterday) and criticism ain't just harassment and death threats. I won't deny the existence of "bad eggs", never did and never will, but so many more have actual constructive criticism and legit grievances -ย  but i guess a biased view from outside makes the world easy for you. The other side bad, my side good.ย 

And before you come with "fight the bad eggs"

We do, that's why they are on their own cornets on the net like 4chan or KIA - Not everyone who has problems is part of these.

You should know the internet well enough to see what is going on.

And you should know the world good enough that putting everyone from the same group in the same basket makes you no different from the people you hate so much.

I am reminded of a comment about Gamer Gate

And of course gotta end it with a straw man.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

You ever think about how Selena has fluorspar pendants, Valter and Glen's color palettes are moon and sun themed, Riev and Duessel's hair matches the colors of their respective stones and Caellach...

...I don't know how Caellach fits into the pattern. He doesn't look much like a tiger eye, or a tiger for that matter. He does have massively sunken eyes. I guess his armor is black and his hair is red, which is... sometimes the color pattern of a tiger eye? Actually with the large eye bags that color pattern also applies to his eyes specifically. Huh.

I just find the fluorspar pendants neat. Selena compensates for not being the best villain in a game filled with awesome villains by having a great design.

9 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Same problems some of modern FE games (like 3H and Engage) have - Unit identity

But verdict after full game

Tbh I don't think unit identity will be so much of a factor in this game. Different kind of strategy.

10 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Honestly, it's sad that so many are cheering on Ai translations becoming more common

"AI translations are more accurate than woke localizers" the AI translation in question

20240229_142209.jpg?ex=65f34e74&is=65e0d

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

and Caellach...

Caellach woke up late and didn't have time to rehearse. So he just made up his theme on the spot.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

"AI translations are more accurate than woke localizers" the AI translation in question

one of the translators i follow talked about this topic - the AI thing isn't happening due localization complaints or idiots complaining about "woke" or any consumer friendly reason out there, but has been happening for quite a while and something the industry is taking into consideration, to -of course- save money and increase speed. What's generally happening is AI-Translations + Editing by a human.

basically

Capitalism Ho

34 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

What's generally happening is AI-Translations + Editing by a human.

This is funny because at that point it's just a localization but with extra steps.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Caellach woke up late and didn't have time to rehearse. So he just made up his theme on the spot.

It's even consistent with his sunken, baggy insomnia eyes. He would totally do that.

16 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

one of the translators i follow talked about this topic - the AI thing isn't happening due localization complaints or idiots complaining about "woke" or any consumer friendly reason out there, but has been happening for quite a while and something the industry is taking into consideration, to -of course- save money and increase speed. What's generally happening is AI-Translations + Editing by a human.

basically

Capitalism Ho

It's always money. It's always the money.