Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You've trashed literally the only Star Fox game that all the franchise's fans can agree is good.

It's not a bad game but it is a game of all time. I feel like even by rail shooter standards, there's just kinda nothing.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Don't underestimate the insidiousness of American exports.

*Ruben was then beaten to death by Canadians for this comment*

• Replies 177.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's not a bad game but it is a game of all time. I feel like even by rail shooter standards, there's just kinda nothing.

-That's fine, opinions and all. 

...Though it's only making me brace even more for whenever/if ever you get to Kirby Super Star, the old crown jewel of that franchise. If thy judgment be lukewarm... *half-heartedly hides axe, shotgun, plastic explosives, arsenic*.😏

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Canada is in America. I am technically correct!

35 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

*The Canadians have gone after Ruben's family for this comment*

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-That's fine, opinions and all. 

...Though it's only making me brace even more for whenever/if ever you get to Kirby Super Star, the old crown jewel of that franchise. If thy judgment be lukewarm... *half-heartedly hides axe, shotgun, plastic explosives, arsenic*.😏

Should I play Ultra or is the original fine?

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

*The Canadians have gone after Ruben's family for this comment*

We can't help which piece of land we are born in.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

*Latin Americans going after Armagon for assuming America is only the US*

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

We can't help which piece of land we are born in.

Me when I could've been the 13th Antartican citizen instead of American citizen #1893729+3920/293804828283992019+482902923702

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

*Latin Americans going after Armagon for assuming America is only the US*

That's actually true though. For those who don't know, Latin American education (Puerto Rico aside) doesn't distinguish between North America and South America, it's just "America". They figured out to make "Estadoudinese" work linguistically (I also butchered that, didn't I).

English translation would be "USian" or "United Statsian" which doesn't really work.

......but also there's no other country with "America" in it's name while there's currently two countries that are "United States" so ultimately "American" still makes the most sense.

But we could've been more...

Screenshot_2024-04-13-10-45-46-11_40deb4

Edited by Armagon

40 minutes ago, Armagon said:

...You don't have to play either.😆 I ain't forcing you.

Ultra contains all the content of the original. It does have a few audio-visual tweaks: the openings to each mode is became videos instead of still-images, some UI was relocated to the bottom screen, some sprites and such were redesigned, music retouched, I think bosses were given a few more invincibility frames IIRC. 

However, Ultra does add a couple bonus modes and minigames. Nothing crazy, though one of them is the very first True Arena in Kirby history. It's enough that I'd say Ultra over the original KSS. I can't think of any serious downsides to Ultra.

-I was just sayin' that b/c Kirby Super Star is literally the one game from the 16 and 64-bit eras that I probably adored most in my early childhood. Being at my grandparents' house, in my grandmother's bedroom, it was probably the game I was looking forward the most to play, more than even Zelda and Mario (or Goldeneye or Harvest Moon 64 -these two I enjoyed alongside my also-young relatives).😄

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

......but also there's no other country with "America" in it's name while there's currently two countries that are "United States" so ultimately "American" still makes the most sense.

Isn't the only other country that currently exists with United States in the name Mexico, and they already call it... well, Mexico?

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_2024-04-13-10-45-46-11_40deb4

Least arrogant Statesian:

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-You've trashed literally the only Star Fox game that all the franchise's fans can agree is good.

Alright, time for a controversial Star Fox take, but I always found Star Fox 64 to be too similar to the original on the SNES to ever be all that impressive. It always felt more like a remake than a game of its own.

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

I actually have no idea. Fox is in it, to say the least, so it clearly counts! lmao

I only watched it played once, so I really can't say, I just wanted to mention it! XD

The comment was rather funny as Star Fox Adventures was perhaps the most controversial of the Star Fox games for the very reasons IO mentions, and a lot of die hard fans utterly hate it for shifting Star Fox away from the genre it started in. My personal opinion of the game is that it is a fine game, nothing spectacular, but it gets a lot of undeserved hate due to it being called a Star Fox game.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To quote a fantastic video essay by Bobbybroccoli: "...the Canadian identity, if there is such a thing, is one defined in opposition to the United States"

23 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Alright, time for a controversial Star Fox take, but I always found Star Fox 64 to be too similar to the original on the SNES to ever be all that impressive. It always felt more like a remake than a game of its own.

I wouldn't disagree that SF64 is a reboot of a one-series game (and then SF Zero appears to have been yet another reboot?). -But the original Star Fox was on the ultimately-2D console of the SNES, and 64 on the wholeheartedly-3D N64, big difference IMO. I think the choice was justified.

While child-me never got past the first of the "hard route" stages of SF64, seeing them as an adult via the Internet, I would say -even as a nonplayer- that they showcase a fair deal of variety for a 3D on-rails shooter. It does seem like the genre was explored with devotion on the part of the staff who made SF64.

23 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

My personal opinion of the game is that it is a fine game, nothing spectacular,

The dinosaur-themed setting was neat, and it looked sorta nicely realistic for a 64-turned-GameCube game? ...Although the ingame world in retrospect doesn't seem all that big or lively.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

. -But the original Star Fox was on the ultimately-2D console of the SNES, and 64 on the wholeheartedly-3D N64, big difference IMO. I think the choice was justified.

The original Star Fox on SNES was 3D though, one of the first ever, and literally the first Nintendo game to use polygons. It was a revolutionary game thanks to the Super FX chip the thing had.

19 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The original Star Fox on SNES was 3D though, one of the first ever, and literally the first Nintendo game to use polygons. It was a revolutionary game thanks to the Super FX chip the thing had.

I know that. But the 3D capacities of the SNES were pushing the system to its limits, and graphically-limited as a result. The original Star Fox (and the scrapped-but-now-conserved Star Fox 2) was making the seemingly-impossible work, which is historically notable in its own right.

Yet -from an ""objectively" good game quality" perspective- while SF64 was made for a console whose entire selling point for its existence was good 3D graphics, that, probably, for most Star Fox fans, makes it the better game. Working within restrains can produce good results, but not having restraints doesn't produce an inferior game.

From your perspective, I suppose the glitz of N64 visuals doesn't do enough to overcome the sameyness with the original SF. Although, I likewise guess that some SF64 > SF1 proponents would argue that SF1 is more of a (impressive) tech demo, and that the franchise couldn't blossom until freed of the confinement to a 16-bit processor pushed to its max. An argument I see being used -with more efficacy- by the F-Zero crowd.

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

Is there a reason why things would be censored in a remake? Beyond like outright sex scenes (actually Baldur's Gate exists so nvm).

Type-moon doesn't do Sex scenes anymore.

Personally idc about them since the scenes are usually really really bad, but for some characters it's really really important. When Fate/Stay Night got an "All ages" re-release one of the routes got quite hurt by their removal/replacement, and in the other routes the replacement was way too funny. Dolphins and Dragons are big ass memes for a reason.

Thankfully TsukiRe doesn't seem to replace them, but uses Text + fade-out instead of full scenes, which works imo.

Edited by Shrimpica

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

.You don't have to play either.😆 I ain't forcing you

No no, Super Star was always on the list. I just wasn't sure if Ultra was preferable. 

Thanks for the info.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Isn't the only other country that currently exists with United States in the name Mexico, and they already call it... well, Mexico?

Yes. My point was moreso "United Statesean" could apply to Mexicans.

Venezuela was also a "United States" like half a century ago.

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Star Fox is one of the most squandered franchises ever because there's 7 games, three are basically the same game, one of which has its own actual remake, one is a game that was never meant to be Star Fox in the first place while the remaining three games actually advance the series in some way. 

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

To quote a fantastic video essay by Bobbybroccoli: "...the Canadian identity, if there is such a thing, is one defined in opposition to the United States"

And they kinda have to too. Canada doesn't register as another country to the average American. And by that I mean, it feels too similar. Crossing into Canada as an American is incredibly easy to do, depending on which state you live, you don't even need a passport, just your driver's license. Likewise, Canada is the only country in the world that can enter America without a visa or ETAS. 

Then, most Canadians live near the border. Someone from Detroit can just walk the tunnel into Windsor and if it wasn't for the border agents, they may not even realize they just walked into a different country because they both speak the same language.

America is bordered by two countries but only one of them will actually feel like a different one (Mexico).

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

2sggCv0.png

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Crossing into Canada as an American is incredibly easy to do, depending on which state you live, you don't even need a passport, just your driver's license.

imagine needing even a driver license to cross the border. Weak.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, and American applies to like 30 countries lmao

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Venezuela was also a "United States" like half a century ago.

The irony is that the full name is "The United States of America". Meaning, even their official name doesn't acknowledge as being America itself, but rather "of America".

Just now, Shrimpica said:

This statement was made by the Schengen gang.

6 minutes ago, Shrimpica said:

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This statement was made by the Schengen gang

North American Union would go hard. Solves the border problem too (because of this, it will never happen).

Of course, people have bad memories of NAFTA so this side of the world getting it's own Schengen Zone probably won't happen for a good while.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, and American applies to like 30 countries lmao

Canadians would rather kill themselves before being referred to as Americans.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The irony is that the full name is "The United States of America". Meaning, even their official name doesn't acknowledge as being America itself, but rather "of America".

Tbf other countries on the continent didn't exist yet. The Aztec and Incan Empires, the last great nations of Native Americans, fell way before the Revolution.

This is your reminder that Kingdom Hearts IV was announced two years ago. The mobile game that's supposed to lead into IV isn't out yet either.

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-You've trashed literally the only Star Fox game that all the franchise's fans can agree is good.

Eventually Star Fox fans will admit that Assault is the best game. It's a proper continuation of 64 (gameplay and plotwise) while still doing its own thing. Command is too but it's controversial for different reasons.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ultra has a sizable amount of new content and the remaining content is mostly the same, other than minor things like having a Fire Emblem reference that the original localization missed. As such, Ultra is preferable unless you're specifically interested in the original SNES experience, or if you want to play both versions to compare them. Ultra is also arguably the start of Kirby's "modern era" which could be another reason to try it.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Canadians would rather kill themselves before being referred to as Americans.

I mean, at this point everyone's spent so long calling US folks "American" that it just registers as that. But I'm just saying, it's kind of wonky to say it's better to use American (applies to the over 30 countries that form the continent) because there's one (1) country that also has United States in its name, and it's also a country that everyone just forgets the United States part altogether and calls it Mexico.

Just now, Lightchao42 said:

Eventually Star Fox fans will admit that Assault is the best game. It's a proper continuation of 64 (gameplay and plotwise) while still doing its own thing. Command is too but it's controversial for different reasons.

One of these days I oughta play Assault. A completely legit copy has been sitting in my Nintendo PC forever, but I've just never gotten around to it.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Tbf other countries on the continent didn't exist yet. The Aztec and Incan Empires, the last great nations of Native Americans, fell way before the Revolution.

So?

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

mean, at this point everyone's spent so long calling US folks "American" that it just registers as that. But I'm just saying, it's kind of wonky to say it's better to use American (applies to the over 30 countries that form the continent) because there's one (1) country that also has United States in its name, and it's also a country that everyone just forgets the United States part altogether and calls it Mexico.

Which is ultimately why the whole thing is so silly. I'm pretty sure "there are other countries in America besides America" was never an issue until the rise of social media or at least it wasn't widespread. If you say American, the average person anywhere in the world knows which country you're referring to.

9 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Command is too but it's controversial for different reasons.

I wonder if the like seven endings stopped the series from going anywhere.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So?

That's it really. It was the first country so they called dibs on the America name. If the continent was called Terra Nova or some shit, then it'd be the United States of ___".

Also back then, people of the country were citizens of the state first, country second. You were New Yorker or Texan before American. It wasn't until after the Civil War that the American identity really took hold. Hence, United States *of*.