• Replies 180.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

That reminds me. Apparently the cartridges for SoV can potentially die out if not used after some period of time?

It made me remember and, well, I know those with digital copies and Nintendo PC afficionados don't ever have to worry about this... but it never hurts to bring up, just in case.

Apparently any cartridge is in danger, though the chances are astronomically small save for a few select games, which SoV is one of. Either way, it got me in the habit of booting them all up every couple months, for precaution's sake.

This made me aware I did beat Tales of the Abyss. I think I once stated I hadn't? Well, either way, I do have a Cleared Data file after all...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Ah, four-day workweek, again since the last one two weeks ago. If only it had been Monday the free day... but I guess it's not too bad being: Work Free Work Work Work. Just having that gap mitigates it, I guess.

One could point out how the rabbit having extra space provided it distraction enough to not be in the game, but still, what a result.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

chrome-capture-2024-9-29.png?ex=66fad205

>Account is called Irish Unity

>Supports the larger country's claim over the small island next to it

>Never mind the fact that "British people are indigenous to Falklands" is 100% a true statement (uninhabited before European contact)

>Twitter continues to be the site of all time.

This seems like a very oversimplified britbashing take going along with a notion of contiguous borders that has it's issues here. Tweets be tweets, not sure what to add-

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe today, but let's not ignore that it was a "might makes right" situation where the stronger country imposed its will over the weaker one. Take it from someone whose country lost half its territory under that same "logic" that we didn't had enough people there but the neighbor could move thousands of its own people into it to validate claims over it.

->timeline of arrivals

Not exactly what I'd call contiguous initially is it? Two empires having "I own this" stamps in the form of plaques after they left, Argentine attempts stymied by strife there and international intervention, which the British Empire responded to by deciding to just go back in there and take it over. Far from the first or last time someone has claimed a place to in the name of establishing law and order. I'd argue the might making right there in context was the USS Lexington, considering that raid did some damage, if missing from their record.

In the present day, those currently there are British civilians and most there voted in favour of staying under it. Now, that could change. But on the question (Staying an overseas territory) and outcome (99% vote on 92% turnout), I suspect it'd take a big change in sentiment likely among younger people there to happen.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That reminds me. Apparently the cartridges for SoV can potentially die out if not used after some period of time?

It's a wider 3DS issue, but SoV is certainly known for it.

Another one? ORAS, I think in Europe at least. OOOOF for me. No failures so far, but the clock ticks.....

18 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe today, but let's not ignore that it was a "might makes right" situation where the stronger country imposed its will over the weaker one.

I don't think Argentina was the stronger country in this instance.

I guess when the British returned and kicked out the Argentine garrison but it's not like an actual fight was had and the civilian population was encouraged to stay.

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

I suspect it'd take a big change in sentiment likely among younger people there to happen.

It's more likely that Falklands goes independent than switching sides to Argentina. Consider Argentina's economy.....

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

->timeline of arrivals

Not exactly what I'd call contiguous initially is it? Two empires having "I own this" stamps in the form of plaques after they left, Argentine attempts stymied by strife there and international intervention, which the British Empire responded to by deciding to just go back in there and take it over. Far from the first or last time someone has claimed a place to in the name of establishing law and order. I'd argue the might making right there in context was the USS Lexington, considering that raid did some damage, if missing from their record.

I mean, that's the point I'm making. The British only went decisively in to claim the islands for good once Argentina was out of Spanish control. It's worth pointing out the British were big supporters of Latin American independence from Spanish control... but it was a pragmatic desire. The Spanish had always blocked market opportunities... and was able to stop most (though not all) attempts of British invasion. The British failed to take Cartagena and Buenos Aires in the early 1800's. If not for Argentine independence making it cut-off from any Spanish or fellow Latin American aid, the British wouldn't had been so eager do more than keep the place contested.

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

In the present day, those currently there are British civilians and most there voted in favour of staying under it. Now, that could change. But on the question (Staying an overseas territory) and outcome (99% vote on 92% turnout), I suspect it'd take a big change in sentiment likely among younger people there to happen.

Yes, things are different today, that's for sure. At least this is far from the worst example of its kind. Since often practices like this could involve population expulsions (or worse, exterminations) so, yes, you can claim the "locals" are fine with the change. A practice sadly still used today. *points to Russia*

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

It's a wider 3DS issue, but SoV is certainly known for it.

Another one? ORAS, I think in Europe at least. OOOOF for me. No failures so far, but the clock ticks.....

Well, seems it's only a matter of running the game. No need to actually play it. Just boot it up, and you've pushed it back for another couple months' time or so.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't think Argentina was the stronger country in this instance.

Never said it was.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I guess when the British returned and kicked out the Argentine garrison but it's not like an actual fight was had and the civilian population was encouraged to stay.

Which proves my point on how the stronger country (British) imposed itself on the weaker one (Argentina).

That trip to the underworld feels like it's a bit less likely for Eliwood to succeed or am I just being dumb?

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, seems it's only a matter of running the game. No need to actually play it. Just boot it up, and you've pushed it back for another couple months' time or so.

It's worked out so far.

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yes, things are different today, that's for sure. At least this is far from the worst example of its kind. Since often practices like this could involve population expulsions (or worse, exterminations) so, yes, you can claim the "locals" are fine with the change. A practice sadly still used today. *points to Russia*

No forced movements in this case, plenty enough of that history.

And considering those couple thousand living there are mostly born there and living there for well over a century, it's an awkward point to make.

ONE MORE LANE

ONE MORE LANE

ONE MORE LANE

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Which proves my point on how the stronger country (British) imposed itself on the weaker one (Argentina).

I mean it didn't help that a lot of the Argentine garrison at the time was composed of British mercenaries. That's why the Argentine general or whatever gave up without a fight, he knew his forces wouldn't wanna fight against their own countrymen.

7 hours ago, Dayni said:

No forced movements in this case, plenty enough of that history.

And considering those couple thousand living there are mostly born there and living there for well over a century, it's an awkward point to make.

Meanwhile, Argentina wanted to forcibly expell the British population. Or at least, that's the intention based on how they were acting for the week they occupied the islands.

I can at least say that Argentina has a "stronger" claim over Falklands than Venezuela has over Guyana. I mean 0x0 is still 0 but....

2 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

>Steam turn based sale

496478133785198604.webp?size=128&quality

Gonna grab another Atelier?

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean six months away tbf.

Ys X in a few weeks

Mario & Luigi soon

Still wanna play Echoes of Wisdom (would've started it atm if rl wasn't in the way - might be able to get it done before Ys X?)

Started Disco Elysium

Still wanna finish Baking Code

And that Fates challenge run - although not really in the mood for FE at all atm so leaving that aside for a bit

Astral chain and Sparks of Hope still on my mind as well

so...yeah...pretty full until Yumia XD

Edited by Codename Shrimp