Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Who isn't bad at FE?

Everyone is xD

It's a pretty difficult series in general. Even it's easiest of games are harder than alot of other games

But so bad that a game crushes your soul into a fine paste?

Just now, Sooks said:

Stealing my old rank eh? xD

Your old rank was "worst at FE"! XD

---

My top 10 video games list would look something like this:
Maybe.

1. Nights of Azure
2. Megadimension Neptunia VII
3. Blue Reflection
4. Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon
5. Dragon Star Varnir
6. Stella Glow
7. 7th Dragon III Code:VFD
8. Fate Extella Link
9. Shining Resonance Refrain
10. Mary Skelter Nightmares

Senran Kagura 2 would actually have a place here, just going by how much I enjoyed it from a story, character, and gameplay perspective.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

I think the thread would be just fine without me.

Nah, this ain't it chief.

Like, you and Shrimpy have been very vocal about your distaste for Cold Steel (well mostly Shrimpy but you do contribute now and then) but it's not like that's really stopped me from enjoying those games.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

And I finished Senran Kagura 2 last night

Very nice!

9 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I actually don't have a top 10 list of my fav video games. Huh.

I.... don't either but I do have a top 5, and all 5 i consider masterpieces, regardless of flaws they may have.

5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

4. Super Mario Galaxy 2

3. Kid Icarus: Uprising

2. Xenoblade Chronicles X

1. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Who isn't bad at FE?

Everyone is xD

It's a pretty difficult series in general. Even it's easiest* of games are harder than alot of other games

*Classic mode

Well I feel part of that is because of resets. Pre-FE15, a reset meant doing the whole map all over again (save states not counted here) just so you can try again at the part that messed you up. DS FEs do have those save tiles but that's about it.

With the Turnwheel, things got way easier because I actually do consider rewinding fundamentally the same as resetting. Only difference is you're skipping all the filler to get back to where you were. You can apply this logic to the save tiles and other forms of mid-battle saves (including save states for emulation).

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Who isn't bad at FE?

Everyone is xD

It's a pretty difficult series in general. Even it's easiest* of games are harder than alot of other games

*Classic mode

I can get by pretty easily. I've beaten all the main games save TH so I'm confident in my FE abilities. 

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well I feel part of that is because of resets. Pre-FE15, a reset meant doing the whole map all over again (save states not counted here) just so you can try again at the part that messed you up. DS FEs do have those save tiles but that's about it.

With the Turnwheel, things got way easier because I actually do consider rewinding fundamentally the same as resetting. Only difference is you're skipping all the filler to get back to where you were. You can apply this logic to the save tiles and other forms of mid-battle saves (including save states for emulation).

Well, i don't honestly use Turnwheel much. Only for unfair surprises or major rng screwage.

And Maddening mode xD

I can get by pretty easily.

so can i @Wraith

But not everyone is a FE player

Edited by Shrimperor

This is so stressful. I’m never gonna finish because my teacher decided my opinion wasn’t a good answer. God dang...

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I can get by pretty easily. I've beaten all the main games save TH so I'm confident in my FE abilities. 

With how many save states? 😉

Edited by Sooks

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

With how many save states? 

When I was younger quite a few for the GBA games. However the more I played the better I got. I beat PoR, RD, SD, NMotE, Awakening, Fates and Echoes on original hardware without save states so I think I can get by no problem. 

Edited by Wraith

8 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

But so bad that a game crushes your soul into a fine paste?

FE still doesn't know how to handle difficulty modes right. 3H hard is the closest the series has gotten to a perfect middle-of-the-road option, but maddening is garbage just like lunatic/maniac, etc.

I can't think of 10 games I'd rank, so I'll go top 5 as well.

1. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

3. Rune Factory 4 (Special)

4. Fire Emblem: Awakening

5. Trails in the Sky FC

Honestly, 3 and 4 could easily switch back and forth.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

FE still doesn't know how to handle difficulty modes right. 3H hard is the closest the series has gotten to a perfect middle-of-the-road option, but maddening is garbage just like lunatic/maniac, etc.

5. Trails in the Sky FC

You've not know evil until you've play Thracia 776. I still have nightmares even a decade later. 

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

To be fair, I don’t think it’s the point of lunatic and maddening modes to be fair or balanced.

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

5. Trails in the Sky FC

Wait Three Houses isn’t your second favorite fe anymore?? For shame! xD

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Like, you and Shrimpy have been very vocal about your distaste for Cold Steel (well mostly Shrimpy but you do contribute now and then) but it's not like that's really stopped me from enjoying those games.

That's good!

Very nice!

Thanks! ^^

I.... don't either but I do have a top 5, and all 5 i consider masterpieces, regardless of flaws they may have.

Same here with my top three.

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Conquest Hard was more than enough to crush me.

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You've not know evil until you've play Thracia 776. I still have nightmares even a decade later. 

Hence why I dropped it when Chapter 4 screwed me over no less than six times, the last of which I even restarted the entire game to get better inventory... only to lose my two most valuable weapons, because reasons.
And at that point I decided before FE5 can become a second Conquest, I'd best quit while I can.

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

You've not know evil until you've play Thracia 776.

meh. Thracia is not that hard, and i'd rate even on the lower half of difficulty in FE.

To be fair, I don’t think it’s the point of lunatic and maddening modes to be fair or balanced.

Conquest Lunatic is quite fair and balanced, despite being super challenging

5 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I tried Thracia. It became very stressful to continue with.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Eh, difficulty should always be fair regardless of difficulty level, imo.

Wait Three Houses isn’t your second favorite fe anymore?? For shame! xD

This is an overall games ranking, not how I rank my FE games.

For as much criticism as I have for Awakening, it's also the FE game I've put the most time into and my first FE, and I still love it despite its flaws.

Edited by twilitfalchion

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Meanwhile, I am not going into the Shiki design structure because if we went into that with ehnough detail I know spoilers would come up. I'm not going to bother making a point about the music as I can understand that (due to the soundtrack being as all over the place, it's make sense some tracks do not click), even if I'm not sure which you mean (If it's the pig music I'll find that hard to forgive).

Shiki's design and select songs share a "I don't think I'd want to admit to playing this game to others" thing. They're not egregious I know, all Shiki needs is pull up the shorts a little, but enough that I would feel a bit off. 

Also, I'm not opposed to the disparate soundtrack, and it turns out it's not the last game I'd play that'd be like that I'd be fine with it, Xenoblade Chronicles X comes to mind. The soundtrack is fine on the whole to me, no issues. But again, this would be a little odd for others to hear in public.:

I'm an introvert with no social life through and through, so I don't truly care, hence the music (and Shiki) is a minor issue.

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

s someone who'd never played KH I don't know why the reports thing's supposed to be cringe. I do want to ask what issue you take with the themes, what I remember doesn't seen too troublesome (also keep in mind I played the original as a teen, so take that as you will)

It's that Nomura gets all esoteric in the world's details via the reports,. And the themes have go kinda esoteric too, and yet they really aren't that well developed or handled.

And partly, you can consider my regret a reaction to my overzealousness for the game when I was younger, I should forgive myself for that. 

---

I'm too indecisive to list my favorite games, and listing/tiering in general has something of a negative connotation to me. You define what is inferior, and criticism is something I do, but I try not to bash.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

This is an overall games ranking, not how I rank my FE games.

For as much criticism as I have for Awakening, it's also the FE game I've put the most time into, and I still love it despite its flaws.

So when ranking fe games three houses would be higher than awakening but when ranking games overall awakening is higher? How..?

Just now, Sooks said:

So when ranking fe games three houses would be higher than awakening but when ranking games overall awakening is higher? How..?

Comparing FE games with each other is different from ranking the games I've played overall.

I have a lot of nostalgia for Awakening as my first FE game.

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Conquest Lunatic is quite fair and balanced, despite being super challenging

The existence of Inevitable End implies otherwise.
Granted, I've never experienced that myself (thank goodness), but just reading that skill's description is enough to make me go "nope!"

Edited by DragonFlames