Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Ey, this is a banger. Well, the second half anyway. The whole song is great though.

--------

Played a bit more of AoC earlier. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. The character interactions are quite nice, apart from Link still being the piece of cardboard he mostly is. The performance so far is my main criticism of it though. It looks good enough, but the frame rate suffers hard during intense fights. Disappointing, but it's still enjoyable apart from that. Musou gameplay is always a good time, so that's more than enough for me.

The story is ambitious, especially for Zelda. I applaud it for that. It may not be the most novel narrative ever made for a video game, but I'd say it's certainly better than the story of most every Zelda game.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Eyyy, it's Ninja Luigi! That was me around 15 minutes ago. I've actually already made it to him. Not sure if I have to do anything to get him back, but just in case, I'll avoid attacking him. He's not even standing over the stairs, so that's easy.

Do you want to know if you have to do anything to get him back? And are you gonna pair Kabbãge x Ninja Luigi?

Hey, quick question: Can counter skills kill? If so, I may be in for a bad time with this asshole... At least Nyx dodged one of his hexing charges.

Just now, Sooks said:

Do you want to know if you have to do anything to get him back? And are you gonna pair Kabbãge x Ninja Luigi?

If it's anything too obscure, yes, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, quick question: Can counter skills kill? If so, I may be in for a bad time with this asshole... At least Nyx dodged one of his hexing charges.

Yes.

If it's anything too obscure, yes, I'd appreciate it.

Well, if you kept doing exactly what you’re doing now, you will get him.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hope all goes well for them!

Thank you!

...I'm going to kill that fucker, but he'll probably just retreat like the rest, the bastard.

You might actually have liked him if you played Birthright. He’s..... how you described Xander and Jakob, but he doesn’t pretend he isn’t, and stupidly so to the point where it’s his gimmick and entire supports revolve around it.

Just now, Sooks said:

You might actually have liked him if you played Birthright. He’s..... how you described Xander and Jakob, but he doesn’t pretend he isn’t, and stupidly so to the point where it’s his gimmick and entire supports revolve around it.

So he's Treck. Yeah, I probably would've liked him. But now he's dead.

Haikata just learned Seal Defense, becoming even more awesome. He's kinda like, a slower, but stronger version of Mozu that has all the support skills. All of them.

Wow Camus got like 2 dialogues worth of development before we encounter him. That’s one archetype they stuck a bit too closely to.

Edit: There’s before battle dialogue. Never mind I guess.

Edited by Sooks

58 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Days of Ruin localization on the other hand makes me laugh at more than a few moments. Storywise, things were hopeful overall throughout the twists and turns, it was far from dark or bleak, barring a few little moments. The villains were still cartoonish, and "anime" had influenced the cast overall now. While heroes aren't hugely deeper, I think there was improvement over the low bar that came before DoR.

Not trying to say the writing was bad, just that it was a gritty edgy reboot released in a time that gritty edgy reboots had been done to death.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I disagree with this myself. Dual Strike had made CO Powers too powerful, Tag Powers were extremely busted. While it it is true that broken stuff can be fun, at some point, it becomes tiring. In my later years with DS I stopped using two COs so much, it makes the individual's abilities more meaningful when they aren't flooded in lightning and a free second action.

Dual strikes may have power crept too far, but Days of Ruin pushed it too far into the other direction.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

CO Zones aren't complicated.

1. Build a unit.
  2. Spend half the unit's cost to place the CO into the unit.
  3. Put the units you want to get the CO boost into the CO Zone.
  4. Have the CO unit and units in the CO Zone deal damage to enemy units to expand the Zone and enable the CO Power.
  5. Use CO Power if you ever think it is worth it. Recharge the CO Power by repeating the above step.
  6. Keep CO unit alive and safe this entire time.

The process is simple, the list of units you'd consider loading the CO into is far from all of them, it's usually a tank of some kind, maybe a Bomber or Fighter, maybe a Rocket or Anti-Tank for Gage, a Battleship, what else would you pick? A Tashacopter? Keeping the unit alive shouldn't be a serious problem barring a venture too deep into the darkness during Fog of War.

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The day-to-day stat boosts are worth it, particularly if you're Tabitha or Lin. Now, the CO Powers on the other hand, yes, I'll agree that a slew of the Powers could be better, Isabella, Waylon, and Penny are great, but improving the rest to somewhere between a CO Power and Super CO Power in the older trio would've been great. As is, I'm more inclined to never fire off a CO Power because the increased Zone size is so good. Considering acquiring CO Powers demand some aspect of strategy in this game, compared to the prior ones demanding mindlessly losing your units and or destroying the enemies', I think they could justify a strengthening. 

Having to accommodate abilities that can be simply applied to an area made the choice of CO less interesting. It was no longer possible for COs to have weakness, you could no longer have benefits that aren't directly tied to combat, like Sonja's hidden HP, or Sami's better capturing,  Kangei/Colins higher/lower unit costs, Rachel's higher base healing, etc. When I chose a CO in those older titles it had an impact on how I would play the game, what the enemy CO was changed the way I would play the game, in Days of Ruin it was about which minor benefit I wanted in the best choke point. If I needed a strategy that didn't rely on concentrating my best troops around my CO in a choke point, than the choice of CO barely mattered.

Okay, chapter over. That was really easy, outside of the time I panicked because Azama halved Odin's health bar. The confrontation with Hinoka was hilarious. She was all like "I commend you for coming this far, but your journey ends here!" except Effie left her with single-digit HP and took exactly 1 damage twice in return. Not even that, actually, because Arthur went "Haha ha haaaaaaa!" and ate the hit for Hinoka. I love all of Arthur's voice lines. They're all glorious.

...Wait, what? Again? We spared all the enemies again? Sure, if the Almighty Plot says so, guess we spared everyone. It got Ninja Luigi to rejoin, so I'm okay with that. Not sure what sort of excuse he could've given Hinoka and Rinkah for why he was turning around and returning to where we were... But then again, he's the only one whose butt we did not kick. He could've outran them if they tried to stop him. No matter - the important thing is that he's with us. With a motivation that could've just as easily been applied to Azama or Setsuna, but I guess they don't exist.

After that, the great sage said a bunch of nothing and did something mysterious to the Yato AND SUDDENLY SURPRISE IAGO! He's here to... well, first of all, he wants to remind us that he wants Kabbãge dead really bad, almost as if that were his whole character. But also, he wants to remind us that Garon is the funniest character in games. Seriously, I love that fucking bastard. It's like he sets out to do everything wrong at every turn no matter what, just for the sake of messing with Kabbãge. And then the sage died of... spontaneous combustion or something. Whoop-de-doo.

So, uh... yeah. Not bad. It was kinda like 6 little maps, one after the other. Enjoyable enough, though Azama's kind of bullshit, considering he has a fuckton of HP and is sitting really far, so it's nigh impossible to avoid a hexing.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I like how Selena acts all Tsundere when I step in the lottery place, but then she has the brightest smile on her face.

O8ulocj3 o

That is not Selena. That is a Ditto pretending to be Selena.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait, what? Again? We spared all the enemies again? Sure, if the Almighty Plot says so, guess we spared everyone.

You get used to it.

Edited by Armagon

35 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So he's Treck. Yeah, I probably would've liked him. But now he's dead.

No, Treck's not Azama, Azama'a an asshat.

I don't like him, and that's in a cast who I'm ambivalent with usually.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

With a motivation that could've just as easily been applied to Azama or Setsuna, but I guess they don't exist.

They tend to treat the retainers as very loyal, despite their baseline personality.

Azama's definitely one who stretches it far, but most tend to like their leiges well enough anyway.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Welp, one of my family members officially got the Covid vaccine.

How fortunate. A second dose is necessary probably depending on which vaccine they got, but thats halfway there. Only six million doses injected so far, so they've lucked out, and hopefully they deserve this priority.

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

I felt awkward having said nothing myself to her as another of those people, one who has not been as model in behaviour as yourself based on what I'm reading here.

Wait, are you saying I'm a good behavioral model? Because I want to make clear I don't want to cast myself as too good, I'm evidence individuals with Asperger's can improve, but I will confess my past behavioral sins, those that I can remember and those that I can't.

It wasn't just one time I misbehaved, the example in the above post was merely the peak badness. In high school, relatives who also attended school with me informed me they had to deal with the fallout of who I was. Oftentimes, it was for good stuff, I was smart in a bunch of subjects and desiring to be a teacher's pet (I kept schmoozing my educators through my Master's degree, heheh) meant they, more average in intelligence and outward intellectual enthusiasm, were bound to disappoint. Yet other times it was my... antics... that they got told about secondhand and had to related to. None of my problem stuff was detention-worthy or worse, after all, I was a good student, I never wanted to get bad grades or be forced to stay after school, I was just weird, which at times could become disruptive and thus a negative. If there was any mockery of me, it didn't happen in front of me or I was oblivious to it or I didn't care. "I am innocent" I told my myself in summary, I almost 100% ignored the effects on my dear others of what I did. Still, although I don't know how it made them feel because I never saw it, my relatives were affected by my Asperger's antics (though they went through their educations perfectly fine) and now years later, I've come to regret that. 

20 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Having to accommodate abilities that can be simply applied to an area made the choice of CO less interesting. It was no longer possible for COs to have weakness, you could no longer have benefits that aren't directly tied to combat, like Sonja's hidden HP, or Sami's better capturing,  Kangei/Colins higher/lower unit costs, Rachel's higher base healing, etc. When I chose a CO in those older titles it had an impact on how I would play the game, what the enemy CO was changed the way I would play the game,

I was going to mention this actually, but I wasn't sure how to include it. I recognize the effects of CO Zones were more limited in what they could do, and question how they could implement more unique effects in a pipe dream DoR sequel.

Although I wouldn't say the CO day to days always played a huge role in how you played the cheery trio. Jake was too subtle, Rachel too. Colin was too good unless it's against AW2 Kanbei or something. And at the end of the day, you're still almost certainly going to be building the same units regardless of who you use. You skip on the indirects for Max and double down on them with Grit, that does make a real difference in playstyle. But you're still going to make some Infantry, some tanks, some indirects, if there are air units around, then at least 2 AAs. The same general rules and tactics of successful war work for almost everyone, barring a few they might throw out based on their weaknesses.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

...Did... Did Niles just... threaten to say a bad word to Arthur? What is he, 12 years old?

Also, Kaze has been revealed to be edgy in his support with Kabbãge. But he's Ninja Luigi, so I'll forgive him... this time.

Just now, Armagon said:

That is not Selena. That is a Ditto pretending to go be Selena.

I think the game in general is a Ditto pretending to be a Fates ROM.

Are you ready, folks? Ruben's Stupid Move nº 2: Reclass Jakob. Since Ninja Luigi is here to take over his knifing duties, I have decided to use my heart seal to make him a strategist. Now he can completely take over Elise's mounted staffer niche, his heals become more effective, and he can burn some folks too, if the need arises. Excellent.

...I do hope the game gives me more deployment slots, though. I wasn't expecting this, but... I have more than a couple of people that I want to use. Huh. I mean, some of them for the stupidest reasons, but they're there.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, Kaze has been revealed to be edgy in his support with Kabbãge. But he's Ninja Luigi, so I'll forgive him... this time.

Rubeino when a character he likes turns out to be edgy

IMG_20200427_203837.jpg

I do hope the game gives me more deployment slots, though. I wasn't expecting this, but... I have more than a couple of people that I want to use.

I think some of the later maps give you more.

As an aside, my niece asked about videogames, so I popped on Katamari Damacy Rerolled.

She's not good with it, I'm not much better, it's a lark honestly, she does find it fascinating. Apart from the King of All Cosmos being a dickbag.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wait, are you saying I'm a good behavioral model? Because I want to make clear I don't want to cast myself as too good, I'm evidence individuals with Asperger's can improve, but will confess my past behavioral sins, those that I can remember and those that I can't.

It wasn't just one time I misbehaved, the example in the above post was merely the peak badness. In high school, relatives who also attended school with me informed me they had to deal with the fallout of who I was. Oftentimes, it was for good stuff, I was smart in a bunch of subjects and desiring to be a teacher's pet (I kept schmoozing my educators through my Master's degree, heheh) meant they, more average in intelligence and outward intellectual enthusiasm, were bound to disappoint. Yet other times it was my... antics... that they got told about secondhand and had to related to. None of my problem stuff was detention-worthy or worse, after all, I was a good student, I never wanted to get bad grades or be forced to stay after school, I was just weird, which at times could become disruptive and thus a negative. If there was any mockery of me, it didn't happen in front of me or I was oblivious to it or I didn't care. "I am innocent" I told my myself in summary, I almost 100% ignored the effects on my dear others of what I did. Still, although I don't know how it made them feel because I never saw it, my relatives were affected by my Asperger's antics (though they went through their educations perfectly fine) and now years later, I've come to regret that. 

I said better than me.

I had my issues at moments (nothing absolutely horrible), but I feel like my behaviour in moments was worse than the example you mentioned. Now true, I had more students directly insult me in secondary school, particularly early on, but I had a scuffle once or twice, I had other instances of poor behaviour and I feel like one or two teachers would consider me a more negative presence in the room at times, even if I was interested in classes and taking part. And even if I was late on official diagnosis, I knew full well by secondary, no excuses. And when it comes to my siblings, I feel like if it was brought up to them they didn't explicitly mention it (though I did annoy my brother trying to hang around him, him being only a year older, the class I was in being bigger and especially then I was a lonely kid who didn't ave much friend). Both of them switched schools but I do believe them in their wanting to move wasn't related to me, though you could understand questioning if I was why.

This is despite being one of the smarter kids, the acknowledgement of which has it's own issues and baggage in the years since and arguably before. I have plenty of chastising myself as an idiot these days, but I feel like dragging the present here would be too much and not the point.

19 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Azama's definitely one who stretches it far, but most tend to like their leiges well enough anyway.

Hinoka/Azama support. Hinoka sure doesn’t like him!

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How fortunate. A second dose is necessary probably depending on which vaccine they got, but thats halfway there. Only six million doses injected so far, so they've lucked out, and hopefully they deserve this priority.

Yes, she will be getting her second dose February 5th. She got one for working in a hospital.

Reclass Jakob.

Most people do that instantly to turn him into an OP jagen since he’s promoted, they make him a paladin or a great knight with a heart seal because-

I have decided to use my heart seal to make him a strategist.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Hinoka/Azama support. Hinoka sure doesn’t like him!

Sure Hinoka always got the short end of the stick, when you consider that her design was going to be Kagero's, one of the worst set of retainers in terms of making sense as such that doesn't include Peri, how she's treated in story, as a unit how harshly she's treated compared to her counterpart, her voice......

Hinoka gets hard done by.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Near endgame they give you more than you know what to do with.

You forget pair-up bots, Rallyman, captured enemies that can take endgame.....

Edited by Dayni

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Rubeino when a character he likes turns out to be edgy

IMG_20200427_203837.jpg

Hey, how did you take this picture of me? How do you know where I live!? Stay away from me!

...He's still green, and his C support with Kabbãge mentioned radishes. It is decided: He must hook up with Kabbãge so I get to make lame salad jokes.

Most people do that instantly to turn him into an OP jagen since he’s promoted, they make him a paladmin or a great knight with a heart seal

I didn't even notice he was promoted until I checked his heart seal options. His EXP gains are that good.

because-

Ahahahahah... Surprised? You shouldn't be, I'm the same man that made the avatar into a shitty earlygame archer intentionally!

Besides, if I made him into a paladin or great knight I'd lose my only staffer. I have instead improved my staffer. How's that for a strategic choice? No I don't know any Elises why

Near endgame they give you more than you know what to do with.

Deploy Gunter.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The same general rules and tactics of successful war work for almost everyone, barring a few they might throw out based on their weaknesses.

That is a bit of a simplification, as those strengths and weaknesses bite both ways, and often in ways more unique to the COs. If someone is playing Drake or Eagle the value of Airport and Seaports drastically changes for both player, making them more (or less) hotly contested, if your opponent is Sami you need to be more aggressive in preventing capture, an enemy Sonja can shutdown the FoW based ambush tactics you might use (plus the hidden HP can be used to play some real mind-games), if your enemy is Grit you need ferret out where he has stationed his indirect fire (and thus might invest in more vision...), etc. Days of Ruin had a little bit of counter play based on zone size, and what type of buff, but a lot of that counter-play funnels down to just kill the CO unit, or pushing in a place they aren't.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Are you ready, folks? Ruben's Stupid Move nº 2: Reclass Jakob. Since Ninja Luigi is here to take over his knifing duties, I have decided to use my heart seal to make him a strategist. Now he can completely take over Elise's mounted staffer niche, his heals become more effective, and he can burn some folks too, if the need arises. Excellent.

Its so close to a great move, as class changing him early to Paladin/Great Knight makes him stupidly good. Then again getting inspiration early is actually fairly good...(it would be better with Felicia but oh well...)

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...I do hope the game gives me more deployment slots, though. I wasn't expecting this, but... I have more than a couple of people that I want to use. Huh. I mean, some of them for the stupidest reasons, but they're there.

I think it builds up to 15  or 16 (I forget exactly...)

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I didn't even notice he was promoted until I checked his heart seal options. His EXP gains are that good.

The game treats Jakob and Felicia like prepromotes with a 40 level cap...

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No I don't know any Elises why

Why would that Wyvern rider be relevant to staff use 😛

18 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That is a bit of a simplification, as those strengths and weaknesses bite both ways, and often in ways more unique to the COs. If someone is playing Drake or Eagle the value of Airport and Seaports drastically changes for both player, making them more (or less) hotly contested, if your opponent is Sami you need to be more aggressive in preventing capture, an enemy Sonja can shutdown the FoW based ambush tactics you might use (plus the hidden HP can be used to play some real mind-games), if your enemy is Grit you need ferret out where he has stationed his indirect fire (and thus might invest in more vision...), etc.

Okay, you're right, I'll acknowledge this.

Although splitting a hair, not to ignore the forest, Airports aren't exactly something I usually use a lot of anyhow on a typical "land, with air units existing but not overly dominant" map. Anti-Airs are so cost efficient as a counter to air units, and tanks and indirects destroy enemy tanks just well, so I skip B Copters altogether and use a few Bombers & Fighters only if I really need them to crack something open.

Admittedly, I have only played DoR again recently, and some Super Famicom Wars last year. I should to go back to DS and refresh myself on the experience of that.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

34 minutes ago, Dayni said:

when you consider that her design was going to be Kagero's,

And they changed it? In Fates? Why?

one of the worst set of retainers in terms of making sense as such that doesn't include Peri,

I would actually say that Peri makes more sense than her set of retainers, since she placed very highly in some super big fighting tournament without training, meanwhile Hinoka’s retainers saved her life one time when they didn’t even know each other and ???.

her voice......

Wait you don’t like Hinoka’s voice? What’s wrong with it?

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Ahahahahah... Surprised? You shouldn't be, I'm the same man that made the avatar into a shitty earlygame archer intentionally!

Besides, if I made him into a paladin or great knight I'd lose my only staffer. I have instead improved my staffer. How's that for a strategic choice? No I don't know any Elises why

I just want you to use Elise. I love her.

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Deploy Gunter.

You want me to deploy... “How to get one rounded: for dummies!”?

Just now, Sooks said:

And they changed it? In Fates? Why?

My guess? When they added the Hinoka character, they thought she would suit the design better.

Fun little fact: Hinoka didn't even exist in the original draft of the story. She was added later so both set of siblings were symmetrical.