Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

43 minutes ago, Benice said:

The Yakuza games do have coarse language, so you may read some in the background footage, but not too much.)

Ha! I unironically enjoy Detroit: Become Human, I’ll be fine!

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

21 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ha! I unironically enjoy Detroit: Become Human, I’ll be fine!

I feel like I should point out by "Not too much", I meant the review, not the game itself. The game does swear liberally, but (Unless I am forgetting something) it don't use slurs and the like. (Crass terms are used, though.) It never really bothered me too much, though, since I go to high school.

Edited by Benice

Me: Ight, Imma make a the first mage that the player gets in my SRPG studio game super squishy.

Me: Gives the mage a 3% defense growth

The mage during the test play: LEVELS UP TWICE AND GETS DEFENCE BOTH TIMES

46 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

...I might seem like a titan to you then xD

Errrr...  that's kinda embarrassing, haha. Xd

TBH, it can really get in the way when playing certain games that require alot different inputs very quickly. I cant stretch my hand around fast enough. 

53 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I like my stories more personal, more character driven and less story driven and less epic if it doesn't have a reason to go full epic. 

Thats entirely valid. Whats the point to a world, to a tale, if there is nobody in it worth keeping alive and happy? -So the argument goes.

I'm not entirely sure where I fall on the plot-driven vs. character-driven spectrum.

I have been continuing in Dark Souls 2, the Smelter Demon has usurped the Pursuer as the boss I have needed the most attempts for, and the Rat Authority took quite a few as well (admittedly I think the little rats caused more deaths than the boss, but even he killed me at least three times...), and the Old Iron King just barely managed to pass the three attempt threshold from before, also the Duke's Dear Freja joins the list of first attempt victories. I have been exploring a bit in Brume Tower, but I probably should get back and start doing some of the other paths I have left to do, I have delayed doing the Last Bastille for far too long for silly reasons, and I avoided The Gutter, as it seemed like an annoying place to deal with...

Also, this is a bit random, but it was kinda hype to watch Jrose11's Weedle solo run with no items in battle, and he just managed to get past the last Rival battle before the Elite 4 (Giovanni was a real nightmare requiring him to reach level 100...)

So.....i finished watching Gamera: Super Monster. I am not exaggerating. I speak no hyperbole when i say this: Gamera: Super Monster is genuinely the worst movie i've ever seen. Actual 0/10 movie. And the thing is, you can't even really call this a movie when it's 130 minute run time is 90% just recycled footage from the movies that came out almost at least a decade prior. It's really noticeable when the movie filmed in 1980 uses footage from movies that came out between 1965 to 1971.

It gets better, by which i mean worse. This movie straight-up just splices Gamera into scenes from Space Battleship Yamato and Galaxy Express 999. Like

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

bro, come on. This was a real movie that was released in real theaters because Daei was struggling to make money. So they put out a movie so shameless that it makes Disney's live-action remakes and sequels look like passion projects. I always say there's no such thing as objectivity in the arts but not gonna lie, Gamera: Super Monster is perhaps one of the absolute very few things that contradicts that belief. 

*Breathes in, breathes out*

Ok, rant over. I finally finished the Showa Gamera movies, so here are the rankings

Screenshot_2658.png?width=681&height=432

(Tagging @Lightchao42 for this since he's the other Kaiju fan in this chat)

If you ask me, Gamera had.....quite the rough start. The current top four in this list are decent movies. The last four range from meh to awful and then Super Monster exists in it's on tier of "how and why does this exist". Gamera was born to be Godzilla's box office rival but as far as the Showa era is concerned, Godzilla is just 100% superior.

I look forward to the Heisei Gamera movies, as i hear the trilogy (especially the third movie) are really good.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

About her... (XCX SPOILERS!)

Reveal hidden contents

You do have a point

Spoiler

However, i was mainly looking at the characters at the start of the game.

Sure, Elma's alien origin and motives are a mystery but at the start of the game, you're not really led to believe anything other than she's a high-ranking BLADE.

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I know, I'm a traitor, its okay! XD

"It's treason, then".

I will say, one point in Shion's favor is that despite interference from the higher-ups, the game could still tell Shion's story normally instead of having her sit in a chair.

Honestly though, both Fei and Shion are basically tied for me, i just give the slightest of margin of victory to Fei.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

I like my stories more personal, more character driven and less story driven and less epic if it doesn't have a reason to go full epic.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Whats the point to a world, to a tale, if there is nobody in it worth keeping alive and happy? -So the argument goes.

Literally me lol.

On most things, i'd argue the most important aspect of writing is making good characters. What makes a good character will obviously vary from person to person but i'd rather a bad story with good characters than a good story with characters i don't care for.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Gamera: Super Monster is genuinely the worst movie i've ever seen. Actual 0/10 movie

Allow for me to fix this for you.

This was a real movie. My favourite part is at 6:07, where the movie's correct title (The Lucky Dragon) was mistranslated into...Well, you'll see.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

On most things, i'd argue the most important aspect of writing is making good characters. What makes a good character will obviously vary from person to person but i'd rather a bad story with good characters than a good story with characters i don't care for.

I think that it's a combination for me, and I can enjoy one or the other; that said, I do think that it is the characters that bring a story to life.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Allow for me to fix this for you.

That movie doesn't look like 90% of it's runtime is recycled stock footage so it's probably still better than Gamera: Super Monster.

That said

8 minutes ago, Benice said:

My favourite part is at 6:07, where the movie's correct title (The Lucky Dragon) was mistranslated into...Well, you'll see.

I skipped to that and ngl, that gave me a chuckle.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That movie doesn't look like 90% of it's runtime is recycled stock footage so it's probably still better than Gamera: Super Monster.

True.

But there is this. I don't know what the heck the animators were doing... (Timestamped to the fight between some bloke who looks like a mideval interpretation and Mao.)

EDIT: There's also a knockoff Dromarch.

Edited by Benice

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

That said

Could always be worse...

This is a trailer for an actual movie...

and it really is as bad as it looks...in many ways even worse...

Look guys look, I made Adel and Leon Berwick Saga in Fiya Emburem Seven-Hundred Seventy Six.

8g0cgvus oNcarl1a6 o

Why yes, I've been waiting all game to make this joke that only four people will get and only one person will laugh at.

Also, yes, I'm a filthy casual, I use the quality of life patches. Not all of them, though. As convenient as it would be, the ability to change the formation would break a couple of maps, so I don't have that one. But I like knowing how far from C swords Hicks is, thank you very much.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As convenient as it would be, the ability to change the formation would break a couple of maps, so I don't have that one.

Honestly, Chapter 19 alone convinced me that this was wrong.

Leif was approving of the plan, so the idea that there would be no idea who was where doesn't make a lick of sense to me with that map. And from there it all fell apart.

(It might not have helped how badly this map held me back. That first turn took months.)

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Honestly, Chapter 19 alone convinced me that this was wrong.

Leif was approving of the plan, so the idea that there would be no idea who was where doesn't make a lick of sense to me with that map. And from there it all fell apart.

(It might not have helped how badly this map held me back. That first turn took months.)

I mean, considering who was the one leading the first team, it's not really all that surprising that he'd make a huge mess of everything.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, considering who was the one leading the first team, it's not really all that surprising that he'd make a huge mess of everything.

Leif's reaction suggests he knows who went, that he put people he knew on the line in the attempt for Ulster.

Dryas might have led, but he did so with Leif's approval and considering their numbers, no way Leif would have let him just take everyone or any old troops.

Dryas also didn't see Mjolnir coming.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Dryas

Sorry just wanted to acknowledge Dry Ass. It'll never stop being funny to me, I swear.

In any case, yeah you've got a point, but still. I don't know, I found chapter 19 to be one of the last fun maps in Thracia. 19 and 20 are okay, a bit too much walking in 19, but after that it's all boring slogs that you should warpskip or chapter 22, which is even worse.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

19 and 20 are okay, a bit too much walking in 19, but after that it's all boring slogs that you should warpskip or chapter 22, which is even worse.

Unless you just let everyone in 19 go to jail, in which case 1-turn!

I will disagree on 24, partly because Kia and partly because if you're unlucky Mareeta's not in the right place. Also because I had my fun. Guess my higher tolerance for meat grinder maps is showing because I don't feel all that bad about those maps.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sorry just wanted to acknowledge Dry Ass. It'll never stop being funny to me, I swear.

I had to correct myself from saying Dorias.

I hope this gets changed.

(Seriously, what's wrong with them just using Darius already? I'm curious.)

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I will disagree on 24, partly because Kia and partly because if you're unlucky Mareeta's not in the right place.

Ah... yeah. Mareeta being in the wrong place is definitely not cool.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I had to correct myself from saying Dorias.

I don't think I ever will. IntSys can suck my gravy-giver, Dry Ass just invalidates all serious discourse, and this is a character that deserves to be treated seriously. Y'know, beyond all the "bad tactician" jokes.

That, and I'm hoping this is just a mishap like the Nimue/Marduk situation.

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

(Seriously, what's wrong with them just using Darius already? I'm curious.)

Let's not forget that they're still using Carrion and Cain Thracia 776. Why keep that awful, awful name, or the one that's already taken by a much more popular character, and yet change something like Dorias for no reason at all? If it was just the former I could write it off as IntSys not caring about Thracia characters, but then they pull one like this and it's like... What's the thought process, IntSys?

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

I will say, one point in Shion's favor is that despite interference from the higher-ups, the game could still tell Shion's story normally instead of having her sit in a chair.

Honestly though, both Fei and Shion are basically tied for me, i just give the slightest of margin of victory to Fei.

I'm gonna use spoilers since some people want to play Xenosaga, so those that do, dont look!!!

Spoiler

I like the way they handled her tragic past and the tragedy that was to come. 

But I also like that it isn't all doom and gloom about the past, either. She has good memories as well, which to me, is the better way to handle it. 

I mean, what happens to Kevin is terrible, even if it's all a lie. And not to mention her parents being killed by the 27-series Asura right in front of her, and being forced to relive those terrible moments? She's one tough girl.

7 hours ago, Benice said:

Shrimpy is actually a prawn confirmed.

I am the emperor of the shrimps, after all!

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Weedle solo

Oh wow

that must've been kinda a pain, no? xD

Gotta check the E4 out to see this haha

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

For me, one of the most important aspects for me to start liking characters is for the MC to not be a black hole. It just ruins everything for me.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

the ability to change the formation would break a couple of maps

I'd rather break maps then go through Thracia again without position change. That sucked with any map that splits party apart. Like Xaviers, or the final map.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thats entirely valid. Whats the point to a world, to a tale, if there is nobody in it worth keeping alive and happy? -So the argument goes.

I'm not entirely sure where I fall on the plot-driven vs. character-driven spectrum.

I think games in the last few years made me kinda fall like this

Story | | | | | | | | | | Characters

^
                          |
                       here

xD

Also i tend to favour Fem MCs.

Edited by Shrimperor

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Also, this is a bit random, but it was kinda hype to watch Jrose11's Weedle solo run with no items in battle, and he just managed to get past the last Rival battle before the Elite 4 (Giovanni was a real nightmare requiring him to reach level 100...)

Poison Sting infliction & stallx300? I don't see this surviving the Elite Four.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That, and I'm hoping this is just a mishap like the Nimue/Marduk situation.

Keep in mind that Nimue and Marduk are both legitimate names. Well, mythological references, Nimue being one name for the Lady of the Lake (and Ninian is another), while Marduk is the name of the chief deity of Babylon, and mythological names are fair game for FE character names. The issue with Murdock is that it is a perfectly acceptable modern English name, and hence does not appear to be in need of changing. Give Marduk to someone else, and while we're at it, use up a bunch of other unused Ancient Near East names, like Bel, Mushussu, Pabilsag, Enlil, Yms, Anat, Dido, Gilgamesh, Enkidu, Pazuzu, and lets not forget Persia and swipe Ahura Mazda, Ahriman, Zurvan, Mitra, Sraosha, and Rashnu.

For me, one of the most important aspects for me to start liking characters is for the MC to not be a black hole. It just ruins everything for me.

And yet you like Three Houses's story? Hmmmmmm

I'd rather break maps then go through Thracia again without position change. That sucked with any map that splits party apart. Like Xaviers, or the final map.

That's fair enough. I'm not about to shame anybody for using the QoL patches. I mean, for example, I love Shadow Dragon's content patches. It's a disgrace that the prologue is usually only available in normal mode.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Keep in mind that Nimue and Marduk are both legitimate names. Well, mythological references, Nimue being one name for the Lady of the Lake (and Ninian is another), while Marduk is the name of the chief deity of Babylon, and mythological names are fair game for FE character names.

That's true, but the characters had officially localized names prior to that. A bit wonky if the official localizations start contradicting themselves.

Of course, I know Dryas is also a thing, is not taken and Dorias hadn't been officially localized prior, but... I'm sorry, my immature mind cannot take Dry Ass seriously. It's utterly impossible.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Gilgamesh

Berwick Saga's got you covered. There's... a generic garbage bagman boss called Gilgamesh in that one. Hey, it's the effort that counts, no?

Honestly though, they definitely should use up some of these more obscure names instead of reusing names. Or at least call him Lorenzo or Lawrence, damnit! It was so easy, and still they managed to fuck it up!