Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That is true but dialects are a whole different thing.

I just generalized since "vos" isn't really used in Latin America. My mom says there's a region in Venezuela where people do use "vos" but that's all I know.

Looking up, apparently they do in the Southern Cone countries, and scattered here and there across Latin America.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

WAITWAITWAITWAITWAIT

Yakuza: Like a dragon is 40-25 CAD off! Dang...Should I get it now, or... Hmm...

EDIT: And apparently Octopath traveller is 30$ more expensive than Y7...

Is Octopath really that massive?

Edited by Benice

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Welp, time to start Team Hugo soon, wish me luck! I'm gonna need it...

Good luck! May few swear words be needed for your success.

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

EDIT: And apparently Octopath traveller is 30$ more expensive than Y7...

Is Octopath really that massive?

I guess Yakuza just isn’t that well known.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

You might recall I mentioned a while ago I was gonna be doing a second playthrough with a female avatar this time. Last time I played, my avatar just looked like me and used "Armagon" as the name so that was easy. This time, I want to make an actual character because that's what Xenoblade X fans like to do.

Do they like, have dialogue? Can they become a character character?

Just now, Sooks said:

I guess Yakuza just isn’t that well known.

Well, it's not huge; Yakuza 6 sold 1 million copies worldwide, 0 sold between 1-5 million copies and I think that  Like a Dragon would have sold about the same. It's a commercial success, but no Mario/Sonic.

Seriously though, 95$ including tax for Octopath is brutal. I have no clue how big Octopath is, but Y7 is a huge game (~65 hours if you take your time, 97 for completion) and is, (when not on sale) about 10$ cheaper. Of course, since it's 30% off, Y7 is obviously much cheaper right now. (62$ or so if I skip on DLC)

Well, after looking at suggestions both here and elsewhere, I finally picked a name: Elena. Sounds neat, I like it.

And here she is

IMG_20210213_210156.jpg

I wanted to make her more of a redhead but that's the closest I can get. There is no bright solid red option unfortunately. I gave her a scar because scars are pretty badass.

Anyways, some OC stats that do not matter, I'm just making shit up.

Birthplace: Puerto Rico

Dislikes: Going to the beach (it's funny if the girl born on an island hates the beach).

A year before Earth blew up, she went to the United States for college. While there, she worked part time at SeaWorld, where while tending to the animals had a too close encounter with a swordfish and that's how she got the scar. I don't think SeaWorld has swordfish but let's just pretend they do.

Again, I'm just making shit up but there's no harm in it. Oh yeah, I gave her the independent voice type. I was gonna go with joker voice type but it honestly sounded annoying. And classic is just Fiora, nothing wrong with that but I'm hear to play Xenoblade X, not Xenoblade 1.

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

They do have dialogue during battle. Lots of it because Xenoblade and you have several options for how you want your avatar to sound (different voice types have different lines) but they aren't a character character. That doesn't stop people though. Xenoblade X is actually the closest thing to a Xenoblade MMO so fans drawing their avatars and other people's avatars is a thing.

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Your parodies are wonderful. One of these days I need to do a sweep of my threads and compile them all in a file for easy access.

I mean... I have a notebook with all of their dates/titles. Mostly so I can keep track of what I've done. That'd probably make it easier.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'm really spending 30+ minutes trying to come up with a name, huh?

Whats unusual about that? 😄

Happens to me a lot with naming things in games if there aren't default names. 

• Do I use historical, mythological, or video game references?
  • Have I been borrowing too many names from one particular video game? (Inevitably, there are wellsprings I turn to again and again.)
  • What two names do I splice together?
  • Does the resulting name sound good?
  • Does the resulting name look good in the font being used?
    • If a name splice doesn't look good, can I tweak the letters to make it work? Or should I scrap the whole thing and try another.

Sometimes the names I create become so overworked I can't even remember what I made them from. And sometimes despite overthinking then, I can end up regretting my names somewhat later. "Clavesta" looks too much like "Larvesta" the Pokemon when it was supposed to be a blend of "Claves" and "Est". And now that I think about, I'm mixed on "Lorag".

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Well in-universe, Planet Mira is named after Mira Torress, who was the head of the Earthlife Colonization Project iirc, so that's neat. We never meet her though because she chose to stay behind on Earth, which is not so neat.

Assuming...

Spoiler

she isn't some Samaarian survivor who has watched over humanity for millennia. She came out of the shadows in disguise in order to facilitate humanity's flight to Mira, so that can they awaken to the truth she wants them to know. And she feigned death by staying behind so she would not be busy with human chores of managing the White Whale and could instead reside in the unseen background again devoting all her time to the omniscient monitoring of Man. 

Until all becomes known, I'm creating harebrained ideas out of next to nothing.🙃

Although, I'm realizing there would be no shock value in discovering considering we never saw Madam Torres in the first place. I can think of a way to add shock value, just copypaste a little big spoiler trick from XC2, but nah, that'd be painfully unoriginal.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

This will haunt me in my sleep because I'm spending a long time trying to come up with a good Hispanic name for my female OC.

But it's great create-a-character music! That later gets excellently repurposed for all your story mission briefings. Lowkey good track.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

If I was going for the genderbent option, I probably would've used that. But nah, the only thing my two avatars in X share in common is that they are both Hispanic (according to me).

Well, gender-bending/gender neutral naming is totally reasonable in XCX. You can't change your name later, but you can change everything else. I do like that, minus the immersion-breaking aspect.

I know Irina's 1st HtH is affected by your gender, and there is at least one sidequest -Definian Love- that changes based on your gender, although I forget when it makes its choice based on your gender. Does it decide as soon as you initiate the quest, or at some point before that? Definian Love is entirely missable though, because it means you choose not to scrap Fortun during Definian Downfall.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

They are a silent protagonist, in the sense that they never speak in the plot outside of silent dialogue choices. Compared to how Fire Emblem has been doing avatars of late, it's extremely different. Mark of old FE7 is the best comparison.

Barring one small moment later on, after Chapter 5, your avatar might as well not exist in the plot, nobody pays attention to them at all in the serious moments. You're a talented but ordinary amnesiac, who is there to kick some ass with the talkative Elma & Lin, and whoever you pick for your fourth character slot.

Sidequests are entirely different story regarding avatar presence. But your character stays silent barring dialogue choices yet again.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I do like that, minus the immersion-breaking aspect.

You say it's immersion breaking but being able to change your appearance is a canonical thing you can do. Although I guess it's immersion-breaking in the sense that the main story doesn't bring it up, assuming you changed more than just hairstyle.

Best I remember, they simply act as if you had always been like that. At least if you changed genders. So... yeah. I suppose having to cover for all the possibilities of how often you'd start flipping over and over was too much to add in.

You know, I just got reminded I once entertained the idea of writing a XCX-related fanfic. But not centered on Mira and NLA. Would be more the misadventures of the home area in their venture to outer space... though I think at some point I debated if to just have them end up in Mira as well...

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wow, already starting up a new XCX run? That was fast! 

Eh, not really. I beat my first run in November.

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

what about Xenosaga Episode II? 

LeaBruh.png

13 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I like that nonchalant offer to just... jump. It's subtle, but certainly a foreshadowing to the Chapter 5 reveal...

True. I didn't notice that on my first run, nor that the game is actually telling you fall damage doesn't exist (which is great).

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

..what about Xenosaga II? 

Once he has memorized all 400 Kanji found in that particular game's script.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

You say it's immersion breaking but being able to change your appearance is a canonical thing you can do. Although I guess it's immersion-breaking in the sense that the main story doesn't bring it up, assuming you changed more than just hairstyle.

Yardley tells you not to tell anyone, that you have to visit the appearance-changing site at night while he is there, and alone; that tells you something. And what it's telling you, is that it is TOTALLY ILLEGAL! 

Murderess's final AfM springs to mind. Sure it's also outright identity theft, and slipping onto humanity's ark of salvation leaving someone else to die with the Earth. But if people don't keep consistent appearances and can change them without the NLA government's consent, then can anyone be certain to be anyone? Can you hold everyone responsible for what they must be held responsible for you don't know who they presently are?

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yardley tells you not to tell anyone, that you have to visit the appearance-changing site at night while he is there, and alone; that tells you something. And what it's telling you, is that it is TOTALLY ILLEGAL! 

Murderess's final AfM springs to mind. Sure it's also outright identity theft, and slipping onto humanity's ark of salvation leaving someone else to die with the Earth. But if people don't keep consistent appearances and can change them without the NLA government's consent, then can anyone be certain to be anyone? Can you hold everyone responsible for what they must be held responsible for you don't know who they presently are?

Spoiler

An internal ID in the Mimeosome? So no matter what appearance it has you can detect which one actually is.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:
  Reveal hidden contents

An internal ID in the Mimeosome? So no matter what appearance it has you can detect which one actually is.

I could see that being possible now that you mention it, something you could pick up via a simple scanner. It's not perfect...

Spoiler

one could always hack into themselves and edit their ID and someone else's. This would require a great deal of expertise to do, out of the reach of the majority of common crooks.

Yet, it could work. If not as simple as banning appearance altering wholesale.

I signed up to take Theatre Arts I in High School. Seems fun. I was in a play in 5th grade, and a... production, we’ll call it, in 2nd grade. I loved both of those, so why not?

f7exn9hbo6361.gif?width=400&height=275

29 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That is true. But still, it is justified in-universe. 

Ugh, school plays. I remember that for my first three years of Elementary school I was in a school that, well, always did yearly plays. Kindergarten and Years 1-3 in one play, and Years 4-6 in another. Only a few had actual acting roles. The rest of the student body instead participated in choreographed dance numbers set at certain points during the plays. Because everyone had to participate, apparently. In all three cases I was in those. Looking back... eh, so-so, but nowadays I loathe the idea of being put on the spotlight of anything.

Edited by Acacia Sgt