Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If one instance of reality is be taken as a universal example, it'll take 4 instances of first cousin incest and 1 case of second cousin incest to result in an unfortunately inbred to the point of severe physical and mental impairment child. -Assuming I read Charles II of Spain's genealogy properly.

So what's a one-time cousin marriage gonna do? What are the chances their descendants are going to fall in love with their relatives. And mind, reality wasn't concerned about love when it made those weddings, FE has modern world values, so political marriages wouldn't happen.

*laughs in Crusader Kings*

A Perfect Circle icon

A Perfect Circle
Have only two distinct parents, grandparents, and great grandparents

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

FE has modern world values, so political marriages wouldn't happen.

Except for the times FE dives into archaic marriage practices and it's usually to show it's a bad thing or to show it's a tragic thing. 

• Priscilla's paired endings with anyone not named Erk all end in heartbreak because "she was a princess and he was just some random-ass dude, the differences were too great" trope. Which doesn't make sense considering this is Fire Emblem, status has never gotten in the way of love outside of this one time.
    • This isn't necessarily arranged but Priscilla only allows herself to marry Erk because he had close political connections.
  • Astrid was arranged to be married to Lekain and this is why she ran away and hit her head along the way, causing her to believe Makalov is a good person.

Who else who else. Ah yes

• Ingrid had an arranged marriage with Felix's brother, but he kicked the bucket so lets put this in the tragic category even though we never met the guy.
  • 3H Lorenz is constantly looking for an advantageous political marriage and it's presented as not a good thing.
  • Bernadetta's father was also constantly looking for an advantageous political marriage for his daughter and this was presented in an even worse light.

That's....about it. Remind me if i'm missing any other examples

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So what's a one-time cousin marriage gonna do? What are the chances their descendants are going to fall in love with their relatives. And mind, reality wasn't concerned about love when it made those weddings, FE has modern world values, so political marriages wouldn't happen.

That depends a lot on the FE, Kaga was perfectly willing to have older sensibilities in his game (heck the tragedy of Artemis was all about her having an arranged marriage with someone she doesn't love...), and plenty of cousin marriages possible in the second generation of Genealogy...

49 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

*laughs in Crusader Kings*

A Perfect Circle icon

A Perfect Circle
Have only two distinct parents, grandparents, and great grandparents

Wouldn't a perfect circle be one where the last members of the lineage got sent back in time and became their own ancestors?

-I can't see Crusader Kings getting a time travel mod, given the game ends once you get to a certain year, time is the game's limiter. And it wouldn't be worth making for incest alone, you'd need to be send an army and resources with your player character or something. Were it possible in the game to reach a situation wherein you amassed a giant army but found yourself without soft targets to aim it at, then a time travel mod would be useful if you could rewind time to when there were softer targets which your great big army could then claim.

42 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Except for the times FE dives into archaic marriage practices and it's usually to show it's a bad thing or to show it's a tragic thing. 

• Priscilla's paired endings with anyone not named Erk all end in heartbreak because "she was a princess and he was just some random-ass dude, the differences were too great" trope. Which doesn't make sense considering this is Fire Emblem, status has never gotten in the way of love outside of this one time.
    • This isn't necessarily arranged but Priscilla only allows herself to marry Erk because he had close political connections.
  • Astrid was arranged to be married to Lekain and this is why she ran away and hit her head along the way, causing her to believe Makalov is a good person.

Who else who else. Ah yes

• Ingrid had an arranged marriage with Felix's brother, but he kicked the bucket so lets put this in the tragic category even though we never met the guy.
  • 3H Lorenz is constantly looking for an advantageous political marriage and it's presented as not a good thing.
  • Bernadetta's father was also constantly looking for an advantageous political marriage for his daughter and this was presented in an even worse light.

That's....about it. Remind me if i'm missing any other examples

Good point!

And as for other examples, HardinxNyna. Remember- she wed him solely because Boah was convinced she needed a big strong man to help rule Archanea and restore it after Medeus's short reign. Hardin loved Nyna too, but were she entirely selfish, she would've remained unwed b/c Camus was her one and only. You beat me to it.

TearRing Saga has two little examples too.

• A totally generic pompous good-for-nothing noble tries marrying Princess Enteh and thus become King of Reeve. Enteh doesn't want it, and Runan her true love objects at the ceremony, threatening to use the force of all the attendees loyal to him if the nobleman doesn't back down. The duke is a chickenshit and so surrenders.
  • The other instance being Prince Richard who has childish fantasies of becoming King of Leda, which meant having to marry Tia, the lost princess of the fallen kingdom. When she asks for time to consider his very public sudden proposal, he is furious and later betrays her to the evil dark dragon cult to get that crown he wants instead. And yet, in the end they somehow make up and actually wed. Is this Kaga did BerkutxRinea first?

As for other mainline FE examples, FE7 might have had another political marriage.:

Louise:
“Lady Hellene has changed. Before she got married, she was a kind woman who wanted to be a good wife and a good mother.”

Pent:
“She and the king are ill matched. She has suffered much. And now, she is obsessed with the succession. Such a sad life…”

It's not outright said to be arranged, but it could very well be. And if it was, well it helped Zephiel and start FE6 as a result, about as bad as HardinxNyna then.

LinoanxArion in Thracia 776 is a political marriage, arranged to defend her little fiefdom of Tahra from the Empire and add it to Travant's realm. It's treated... rather neutrally, Linoan's true love is Deen, but she seems to accept the political situation and harbors no ill-will towards Arion, who isn't passionate for her but nonetheless polite.

IRL, some political marriages were indeed bad. Gustavus Adolphus and his wife Maria Eleonora of Brandenburg turned into a loveless nightmare I recently read. Although Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand III was passionately in love with his first wife (and cousin) Maria Anna of Spain, his somewhat early death at 49 may be owed in part to depression from her loss 11 years earlier.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As for other mainline FE examples, FE7 might have had another political marriage.:

Louise:
“Lady Hellene has changed. Before she got married, she was a kind woman who wanted to be a good wife and a good mother.”

Pent:
“She and the king are ill matched. She has suffered much. And now, she is obsessed with the succession. Such a sad life…”

It's not outright said to be arranged, but it could very well be. And if it was, well it helped Zephiel and start FE6 as a result, about as bad as HardinxNyna then.

It is outright said.

Guinevere:
“Yes. It was an arranged marriage to strengthen the tie between Bern and Etruria. However, our father already had a woman he loved at that time. That was my mother.”

Roy:
“……”

Guinevere:
“The marriage between our father and Zephiel’s mother was forced. Therefore, our father didn’t love Zephiel’s mother, and always thought badly of Zephiel.”

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

It is outright said.

Guinevere:
“Yes. It was an arranged marriage to strengthen the tie between Bern and Etruria. However, our father already had a woman he loved at that time. That was my mother.”

Roy:
“……”

Guinevere:
“The marriage between our father and Zephiel’s mother was forced. Therefore, our father didn’t love Zephiel’s mother, and always thought badly of Zephiel.”

Thank you for the correction! I forgot to check Binding's script.

34 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Give me an arranged marriage where everything goes off without a hitch.

Actually *goes on Wiki*

Pent and Louise were arranged and they're pretty happy.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Actually *goes on Wiki*

Pent and Louise were arranged and they're pretty happy.

Was it? It wasn't really a traditional arrangement. It was more like: "Here they are Pent, choose one".

The emperors new groove GIF - Find on GIFER

But yeah, it does fulfill the condition somewhat, hehe.

Still, it is in the minority. So a couple more would not be bad to have.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I just finished chapter 2. I think I'm going to go crazy if I hear the map's OST for another second. Now I remember why I don't play FE4 more often.

Edited by Maof06

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Still, it is in the minority. So a couple more would not be bad to have.

I'm feeling like if FE were to do a good political marriage, it should be two politically and militarily powerful individuals. Wouldn't it be an awesome ally or fearsome foe if two kingdoms, neither that major a player by itself, were combined in the union of two sage-warrior-monarchs?

Perhaps there isn't true love in the marriage, but both would know exactly what they'd want from each other, the resources for their continuation of their shared and separate objectives. Imagine one trying to seduce the other into agreeing to their preferred allocation of their unified assets, knowing full well that impassioned kisses won't get the other anywhere. If they were sufficiently compatible, this sex of ulterior motives could be very entertaining for the two, creating real appreciation of the other person. And for the children, well they're the ultimate long-term investment, both parents could take a very keen interest in teaching the children the value of hard work and working towards the important things -however each parent defines these.

1 hour ago, Maof06 said:

I just finished chapter 2. I think I'm going to go crazy if I hear the map's OST for another second. Now I remember why I don't play FE4 more often.

This is true. Even the best of OSTs becomes bothersome if you listen to them too much. FE4 doesn't force you to play a giant map in one sitting, but people do it anyhow, and that combined with the turns of naught but moving units sometimes, creates a toilsome effect on the listener. If you broke up the FE4 experience more, it'd ease the music fatigue. And in some other FEs, the player phase theme may vary from chapter to chapter, another way of keeping music fatigue down.

Imaging watching this with your child because you thought it'd just be a celebrity singer singing with Pokemon in the background for the 25th anniversary and then you hear this line.

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I can't even make out the last word.

"It was all about the sex though" 

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Weird question, but is there a way to tell if a game has a demo on steam?

You will see "download demo" on the game's page.

Just now, Armagon said:

It was all about the sex though" 

I thought it said "It was all about the Chex though."

...I think I prefer it that way.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

You will see "download demo" on the game's page.

Oh.

Welp, I should have expected as much.