Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Good afternoon!

Also, this popped up in my recommended videos today:

STAY BACK! STAY BACK! BEGONE! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU! THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Spoiler

JRPGs.png

Anyhow

Karla is an optional kill? Does killing her affect the ending at all?

If not, I've finally finished TRS after starting it, like, over a year ago. Even more if you count when i played with the old bad translation.

Edited by Robert Stewart

3 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

The Eugen line

If the Holmes punch is Eugen's greatest moment, that is Eugen's greatest line. Together? They make TRS's greatest character.

3 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

Karla is an optional kill? Does killing her affect the ending at all?

Yes, and no. Nothing changes if she lives, which is... weird, but okay.

4 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

If not, I've finally finished TRS after starting it, like, over a year ago. Even more if you count when i played with the old bad translation.

Congratulations on finishing a great game. At least I think it's great!

You know what I love that makes no sense? Alternate covers for boxes.

I just find the art usually's quite nice in and of itself and it gives each one a distinct feel from the others. It wasn't something I got with most consoles, then the Switch comes along and spoils me with all these neat alternate covers for games I get physically except Owlboy, would love to print off an alternate one for it.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I...

This is both glorious and cursed at the same time.

Of course they use Evangelion's.

Also were they using images from Drake from years after the show?

Finally popped in XC1DE, over two months since its acquisition. 

I wanted to jump right into Future Connected, but I could not get into the mindset for that. Instead, I opted to start up the main story again, because if I immerse myself in its gameplay, I can eventually pivot to FC. I don't intend to finish the main story right away, I don't need to, it's a vehicle to establish to right thought for the journey that I do seek It is easier to get into the main story, because I know it, there was no need to try to purge the mind of irrelevant and un-FC thoughts and to open my artistic appreciative pores to something new, to undertake a freedive to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean, breath held from the moment my lips first touch saltwater to the moment they kiss the air again.

I was just able to make it Sharla's recruitment on a single charge, a minute after getting the 15% warning. Combat is snappy, though I had to grind a bit b/c I was otherwise underleveled, it wasn't the smartest idea to avoid fighting a single enemy after the first until the High Entia drone-thingies battle. Things felt off-kilter, because I'm so used to XCX's adjustments. I'm a little astonished to say I miss Soul Voices, not waiting for Secondary Cooldown is odd, I got into the habit of switching my auto-attack weapon mid-fight to alternate the Secondary Cooldowns, and I'm saddened not to have a ranged weapon on everyone this time. Can Shulk make a gatling gun for you Reyn? I've yet to miss No Fall Damage, but I'm going to sooner or later, thats for sure.

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Tfw you watch a trailer new XB2 expansion with new Story and gameplay, with a focus on Brighid and someone else as MC and it all taking place before TtGC...

Tfw you react online, XB fanbase in huge cheer, get ready to download it and then...

You wake up from your nap

For I do not have dreams, I cannot hope for such tortured blessings of the unconscious. 

For the bolded, Brighid would mean someone Ardainian royal, or close to it, barring a thief who took a crown jewel. Mor Ardain reminds me of the one thing I find myself wanting more explored, politics.

• XC1 has a smidgen of High Entia intrigue that ultimately amounts to nothing once Prison Island is past.
  • XC2 has the short-lived Judicium spat, and a touch of background Gormott-Ardain stuff. Indoline interference too, but I'm not sure whether to consider church-state relations as "politics" or a special separate form of politics.
  • XCX has naught because there is only one human government left, which has no internal fracturing ATM. The aliens are either 100% evil, too few to have an independent political community, or Nopon.
  • Xenogears has a little politics early on to drive the story before it can ascend into headier topics. And I suppose the 500-year tensions between Shevat and Solaris is political, but it's still not anywhere near center stage.

I am well aware of "politics" in video games often ending up being hideous messes of stories where everything falls flat and is downright stupid. But with these big beautiful colorful worlds of distinctive cultures, would it be wrong to ask Monolith to try putting international conflict on the center stage? Less Gnosticism, more Machiavellianism.

If Monolith listens to me and it all goes to hell because they can't get politics right, I'll jump off a cliff to apologize.

Maybe it's not so much politics I'm asking for in a Xeno game, as it just something more earthly in general. Although, I could very well be overestimating the amount of time Xeno games spend in the clouds. And that what I'm asking for is there to be no clouds at all overhead, for there to be no place for a Heaven to reside. -Do I even understand what I'm saying here?😵

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And that what I'm asking for is there to be no clouds at all overhead, for there to be no place for a Heaven to reside. -Do I even understand what I'm saying here?😵

You want not for the heavens to fall, but to deal with a world with the heavens not at the centre stage but an earthly domain?

37 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

This is both glorious and cursed at the same time.

I love it. Thank you for enlightening me.

@Saint Rubenio what was the PS1 emulator you said i should use for TRS? Meta Knight?

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Seriously, paid cosmetic outfits on a singleplayer game is the height of stupidity.

Issued a correction there. Cosmetic outfits in single player games are fine, it's an issue when you have to pay for them.

Which is why Xenoblade 2 did it best by having the cosmetic outfits be rewards you get from completing Challenge Mode battles. It's DLC but the outfits are a reward, not something you just paid for.

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Things felt off-kilter, because I'm so used to XCX's adjustments. I'm a little astonished to say I miss Soul Voices, not waiting for Secondary Cooldown is odd, I got into the habit of switching my auto-attack weapon mid-fight to alternate the Secondary Cooldowns, and I'm saddened not to have a ranged weapon on everyone this time. Can Shulk make a gatling gun for you Reyn? I've yet to miss No Fall Damage, but I'm going to sooner or later, thats for sure.

I can relate. Granted, i went into XenoblaDE after years of playing Xenoblade 2 and it was when i realized that DE could've definitely used some of the combat improvements from later games.

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:
  • XC1 has a smidgen of High Entia intrigue that ultimately amounts to nothing once Prison Island is past.
  • XC2 has the short-lived Judicium spat, and a touch of background Gormott-Ardain stuff. Indoline interference too, but I'm not sure whether to consider church-state relations as "politics" or a special separate form of politics.
  • XCX has naught because there is only one human government left, which has no internal fracturing ATM. The aliens are either 100% evil, too few to have an independent political community, or Nopon.
  • Xenogears has a little politics early on to drive the story before it can ascend into headier topics. And I suppose the 500-year tensions between Shevat and Solaris is political, but it's still not anywhere near center stage.
  • Xenosaga has your standard Galactic Federation, though if i remember correctly, the Kukai Federation and Second Miltia both served as smaller governments independent from the Galactic Federation.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

@Saint Rubenio what was the PS1 emulator you said i should use for TRS? Meta Knight?

Mednafen.

I've had good results with PCSXR, if that doesn't work out for you.

Edit: You might also need a Japanese BIOS file. Just like ROMs I can't give a link.

Edited by Dayni

Haha, that's cute.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Mednafen.

I've had good results with PCSXR, if that doesn't work out for you.

Thanks.

I've used ePSXe but i'm being told TRS requires fast forward (which only Mednafen seems to have), so yeah.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Issued a correction there. Cosmetic outfits in single player games are fine, it's an issue when you have to pay for them.

Right, my apologies. Customizing your appearance is a perfectly fine concept. Paying moneys to put Byleth in a skimpy suit is... Well, I don't think I need to say anything, do I?

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Which is why Xenoblade 2 did it best by having the cosmetic outfits be rewards you get from completing Challenge Mode battles. It's DLC but the outfits are a reward, not something you just paid for.

Yes, that's good. The useless cosmetics just have to be a tiny bonus aside from the content, not the content itself, because cosmetics aren't content and shouldn't be considered so.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

i'm being told TRS requires fast forward

Well, you're a person that enjoys Tellius enough to list Radiant Dawn as his favorite. Perhaps TRS's slowness wouldn't be a problem for you... Especially since I do consider the game to be less slow than Tellius.

Still, Mednafen's a great emulator, so it's still worth using, if you can get the hang of it. Lack of UI, and all. I actually checked the other day, and it turns out Medlaunch, the addon UI I recommended to you, is a bit outdated. Only goes up to version 1.21.1 of Mednafen, which is currently in version 1.26.1. I didn't bother to update, though. The emulator works perfectly fine in this version, and having a proper UI is so convenient.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, you're a person that enjoys Tellius enough to list Radiant Dawn as his favorite. Perhaps TRS's slowness wouldn't be a problem for you... Especially since I do consider the game to be less slow than Tellius.

Well i also didn't have battle animations turned on when i played through Tellius because i knew they were slow.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I actually checked the other day, and it turns out Medlaunch, the addon UI I recommended to you, is a bit outdated. Only goes up to version 1.21.1 of Mednafen, which is currently in version 1.26.1. I didn't bother to update, though. The emulator works perfectly fine in this version, and having a proper UI is so convenient.

Ah ok. Guess i'll go download that version then.

30 minutes ago, Dayni said:

You want not for the heavens to fall, but to deal with a world with the heavens not at the centre stage but an earthly domain?

Correct.

I think the reason for it is the premise that if you focus on an earthly conflict, that the peoples who inhabit that earth and the earth itself will be better developed as a result. Because to have a good grounded conflict, surely you will develop the countries that comprise it. I like the world of XC1, I like the world of XC2, but the narrative focus in the end isn't on those worlds themselves, if it was, I'd like those worlds even more.

-However, my hypothesis is faulty, for even when the primary conflict is human vs. human no supernatural beings involved nor emphasis on silly fun, developers don't necessarily create strong worlds. I hesitate to *cough cough Fates cough cough* for an example of "earthy conflict with horrendous world-building" because that story is fundamentally rooted in the Eyeball Dragon. Nonetheless, my premise is naively optimistic.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well i also didn't have battle animations turned on when i played through Tellius because i knew they were slow.

Animations or no animations, TRS is still not as slow. In my opinion, at least.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah ok. Guess i'll go download that version then.

Ask me if you run into any problems setting up Mednafen and applying Medlaunch. It's been years since I made my set up, and I haven't touched it since then (I just copypasted the whole thing when I changed computers), but I'll try to help out.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Right, my apologies. Customizing your appearance is a perfectly fine concept. Paying moneys to put Byleth in a skimpy suit is... Well, I don't think I need to say anything, do I?

And putting everyone else in maid or butler outfits.

The butler outfit is pretty snazzy though, not gonna lie.

Edited by Sooks

Just now, Sooks said:

The butler outfit is pretty snazzy though, not gonna lie.

I mean yeah, I thought so to (until I discovered that faculty can't wear outfits because IntSys despises the faculty units with a passion for some unfathomable reason), but paying for it? C'mon.

TIL Your units don't retaliate against Frau and San in chapter 15. Huh. Kaga was feeling merciful that day.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ask me if you run into any problems setting up Mednafen and applying Medlaunch. It's been years since I made my set up, and I haven't touched it since then (I just copypasted the whole thing when I changed computers), but I'll try to help out.

Yeah, if i run into trouble, i'll ping you.

That being said, i had no idea there was a PSP version of the game. I think. What does PSP Eboot mean?

But if there's a PSP version, i'll just play that.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Haha, that's cute.

smh no upper third image with Deadly Erinys.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

-However, my hypothesis is faulty, for even when the primary conflict is human vs. human no supernatural beings involved nor emphasis on silly fun, developers don't necessarily create strong worlds. I hesitate to *cough cough Fates cough cough* for an example of "earthy conflict with horrendous world-building" because that story is fundamentally rooted in the Eyeball Dragon. Nonetheless, my premise is naively optimistic.

Maybe there then needs to be a reduction in the emphasis of those fantastical elements (including magics?) so that there can be a refocus on that world and who inhabits it? The design of a world does have to account for elements like magic and how they change things, so maybe removing that could allow for more to be done beyond it?

Also, is it alright if I take the quote from you in Alastor's topic about Corrin/Byleth and gluten for my sig?

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Doesn't help you don't have to pay for best Byleth outfit don't at me.