• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

(Do we know how well Tearring sold, because I don't know for sure but doubt it sold better than Berwick, a game that outsold PoR in Japan)

Actually, it sold way better than Berwick, from what I've gathered. Vastly surpassed Binding Blade, at the very least.

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

so the chances of a remake basically don't exist.

According to the bad FE wiki, in the trivia section of Maerchen's character page, an entry in Kaga's blog stated that he wanted to remake TearRing saga in the style of Berwick Saga. And also he wanted to make Maerchen less weak, apparently. I tbink that the blog post was fairly recent, but I can't read japanese, so I dunno if that's actually something being planned.

Once Luca gets Charge, there is most certainly a payoff for all the work put into him.

...of course freaking Leonie has that skill at base. So it's not like being a Charge Archer is even that rare.

Edited by BrightBow

1 minute ago, Benice said:

According to the bad FE wiki, in the trivia section of Maerchen's character page, an entry in Kaga's blog stated that he wanted to remake TearRing saga in the style of Berwick Saga. And also he wanted to make Maerchen less weak, apparently. I tbink that the blog post was fairly recent, but I can't read japanese, so I dunno if that's actually something being planned.

The guy's retired and Tirnanog went under and was bought by Enterbrain. If there ever were plans for such a remake, they are no longer happening. Most likely he was just talking about his ideas for the future, in case things went better than they did.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Once Luca gets Charge, there is most certainly a payoff for all the work put into him.

Yeah, but--

...of course freaking Leonie has that skill at base.

Yeah... When the girl with no opportunity cost and a 10% move growth has the skill at base... Luca's one claim to fame is his availability, but it's not like he does much with it, other than get his meme bow and expedite the funny event where he literally fuckin' dies to make Raquel better.

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

wonder if there's much of an audience for PS2 emulation fans looking for obscure titles, considering there's few big ones that are region locked, at least to the US. It's surprising how nostalgia for the 5th gen consoles evaporated quicker than it deserved and there's been limited purchase for 6th gen nostalgia despite now being the time for it.

Well the thing about that is that PS2 emulation can be tricky to get. People are more likely to emulate when they don't have to jump through hoops to get a game running, especially if one of those hoops is just having a more powerful system.

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

According to the bad FE wiki

Which one is this?

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah... When the girl with no opportunity cost and a 10% move growth has the skill at base... Luca's one claim to fame is his availability, but it's not like he does much with it, other than get his meme bow and expedite the funny event where he literally fuckin' dies to make Raquel better.

Reducing a unit to a powerup for another. Kaga did Pair-Up first.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Well the thing about that is that PS2 emulation can be tricky to get. People are more likely to emulate when they don't have to jump through hoops to get a game running, especially if one of those hoops is just having a more powerful system.

Not to mention that the one and only PS2 emulator is plugin-based. Ew.

Which one is this?

The Fandom wiki. The other one is fireemblemwiki.org. People often hate on the "bad wiki" because it has awful tactical advice and occassionally wrong information. Personally, I think the good wiki is rather overrated. Leaving aside the lack of KagaSaga, which is a downside for me personally, the place is horrible to browse on mobile, and a lot of character pages reek of incompletion.

...Then again, he's not above copypasta-ing games...

Hah! Tell that to IntSys stealing his ideas for decades

Actually, it sold way better than Berwick, from what I've gathered. Vastly surpassed Binding Blade, at the very least.

Really?

Sold over 500k?

I feel that should have been mentioned somewhere, somehow I missed it. My doubt partly stems from Berwick having a larger potential audience as well, it was a massively successful console to be fair.

I am in the weird place where I can't relate despite my hardware somehow.

I also thought the general position of hardware currently was such that it might be more viable, but this could be because I'm overestimating the power of machines this crowd does have as well.

Which one is this?

It's usually the Wikia one, because it used to be awful.

The gap's much less so now.

Reducing a unit to a powerup for another. Kaga did Pair-Up first.

More like he did the inverse.

This is the Wiki I use tho.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The Fandom wiki. The other one is fireemblemwiki.org. People often hate on the "bad wiki" because it has awful tactical advice and occassionally wrong information. Personally, I think the good wiki is rather overrated. Leaving aside the lack of KagaSaga, which is a downside for me personally, the place is horrible to browse on mobile, and a lot of character pages reek of incompletion.

I see.

And yeah, the .org one does have a lot of incompletion. It's structured in the same manner as Bulbapedia and SSBWiki but without half the information.

Not to mention that the one and only PS2 emulator is plugin-based. Ew.

I mean, most of those are in current releases in all fairness.

There are a couple of others around (including for mobile), but yeah PCSX2 is by far the head of the pack.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Trying to enter Byleth’s birthday and my dog is now barking at the TV. This run is definitely cursed.

Personally, I'd advocate for F!Byleth so that you can get Darting Blow. That was a lifesaver for me.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Really?

Sold over 500k?

Not over 500k, but Binding Blade didn't sell that either, where are you getting your numbers from? BB sold 346 copies according to this site, whereas TRS sold "over 350k" according to Wikipedia. Not a huge lead, but a lead nonetheless.

Believe it or not, the game was actually kind of a big deal back in the day. The lawsuit against Kaga for copyright infringement, which he won (if I'm not mistaken he later lost one for unfair competition and had to pay up, but the fact that he was allowed to release the game at all was due to his initial victory), shaped Japanese law where the legality of spiritual successors is concerned.

Just now, Armagon said:

This is the Wiki I use tho.

Well, I recommend cross-checking numbers with Serenes and fireemblemwod, but otherwise, keep at it. I really don't think is as much of a blight on mankind's history as some people say it is.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Trying to enter Byleth’s birthday and my dog is now barking at the TV. This run is definitely cursed.

The dog understands.

Praise the dog.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The lawsuit against Kaga for copyright infringement, which he won (if I'm not mistaken he later lost one for unfair competition and had to pay up, but the fact that he was allowed to release the game at all was due to his initial victory), shaped Japanese law where the legality of spiritual successors is concerned.

Yeah, the courts rules that TearRing didn't infringe on Nintendo's right to Fire Emblem, much like how the courts ruled that Donkey Kong wasn't infringing on King Kong. But, the courts also ruled that the name "Emblem Saga" was a no-no as the similarities between it and Fire Emblem actually would cause some people to think they were the same if the name was kept.

Not over 500k, but Binding Blade didn't sell that either, where are you getting your numbers from? BB sold 346 copies according to this site, whereas TRS sold "over 350k" according to Wikipedia. Not a huge lead, but a lead nonetheless.

Believe it or not, the game was actually kind of a big deal back in the day. The lawsuit against Kaga for copyright infringement, which he won (if I'm not mistaken he later lost one for unfair competition and had to pay up, but the fact that he was allowed to release the game at all was due to his initial victory), shaped Japanese law where the legality of spiritual successors is concerned.

I was comparing Tearring's to Berwick's, hence my 500k mention.

BB is a fair bit closer on the official numbers, but still. I'm not too surprised as the GBA was a new console market, alongside this being closer to Kaga's last FE released so I could see people being like "He's making another one! Over there!" even in those days of the internet.

And Emblem Saga: Suing Kaga isn't a nothing suit that's for sure.

I'm personally of the mindset that the whole debacle was kinda absurd. Kaga didn't deserve that kind of treatment. 

Also: now that Pyra/Mythra are in Smash, Malos when? Make it happen!

13 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I was comparing Tearring's to Berwick's, hence my 500k mention.

But... Berwick only sold 177k. It outsold Tellius in Japan. Obviously if you count all regions where Berwick Saga didn't exist, Tellius wins by default, but that's rather unfair, isn't it?

BB is a fair bit closer on the official numbers, but still. I'm not too surprised as the GBA was a new console market, alongside this being closer to Kaga's last FE released so I could see people being like "He's making another one! Over there!" even in those days of the internet.

That may've been what happened.

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I'm personally of the mindset that the whole debacle was kinda absurd. Kaga didn't deserve that kind of treatment. 

Kaga deserved better overall. I know he's a meme in the fanbase and it's basically impossible not to know about him once you've been in it for long enough, but that doesn't change the fact that IntSys have tried really hard to erase his name from history. That's really not nice.

Also: now that Pyra/Mythra are in Smash, Malos when? Make it happen!

Let me just ask you a question: Are you ready for Xenoblade to be the next Fire Emblem? As in, the next "weaboo anime boobs game" that everyone hates because it keeps hogging the attention in Smash? Because that's what's going to happen if it starts to get rep after rep.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But... Berwick only sold 177k. It outsold Tellius in Japan. Obviously if you count all regions where Berwick Saga didn't exist, Tellius wins by default, but that's rather unfair, isn't it?

Did.... did I mistake the numbers?

FUCK!

Have I imagined Berwick did way better than it actually did?

FUCK!

Am I stupid?

YES!

Apparently the game doesn’t start at the beginning of month 4. I might have to fix Byleth’s birthday, darn.

Edited by Sooks

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Apparently the game doesn’t start at the beginning of month 4. I might have to fix Byleth’s birthday, darn.

Ah, my experience the first time.

I'd pick early May, unless it's CF where it might be fine to go late April, but you don't get the item twice.

Edited by Dayni