• Replies 176.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Misplaced my switch games and had a mini freak out, as they were all gone except for Smash. I have no idea what they were doing in my backpack, but okay.

I also found an unopened copy of Octopath traveler while searching. That’s good if my cartridge ever starts acting up again.

Edited by Sooks

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Misplaced my switch games and had a mini freak out, as they were all gone except for Smash. I have no idea what they were doing in my backpack, but okay.

The universe was trying to save you from putting yourself through Three Houses Maddening.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The universe was trying to save you from putting yourself through Three Houses Maddening.

Are we sure Sooks has a physical copy?

If not, it could have been the universe trying to ensure he does it.

For whatever reason, I do not comprehend.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Are we sure Sooks has a physical copy?

If not, it could have been the universe trying to ensure he does it.

For whatever reason, I do not comprehend.

Sooks does have a physical copy. The inside of the case is very nice, and I prefer physical copies in general, for some reason.

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You mean better. Sure, the map is challenging, probably the hardest in the game, but that doesn't make it bad.

Bro, if that was the hardest map in the game, then the rest of the game is a cakewalk.

I mean, not that this game was difficult to begin with but that map was just long, not hard.

From your reactions to Kaga's wackier games, you seem to be into more standard FEs, and this is like, a standard FE with a whole bunch of creative ideas for the cast and the maps.

I mean, my top three Fire Emblems aren't exactly the conventional type but yeah, that is how i feel for the most part.

I've said in the past that i do think Kaga has good ideas, i just think he usually does a bad job actually implementing them.

There's a couple of awful swamp maps in the future

Yeah, i remember @Interdimensional Observer complaining about a particular swamp map later on.

by then you have the warper, if worse comes to worst.

Inb4 i send Attrom to the wrong army.

You might find dark mages in the caves.

I didn't see any when i went through them but maybe you're talking about a different cave.

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That poor little game never seems to get the love it deserves thanks to all the Berwick and Jugdral fans diverting attention away from it.

You know, i've always felt like comparing Berwick to Fire Emblem and the other KagaSags is kinda unfair since Berwick is just a different kind of SRPG. You can compare it narratively and thematically, sure, but comparing Berwick to Fire Emblem and the other KagaSagas gameplay-wise is like comparing Final Fantasy Tactics to Advance Wars.

But when it's by the creator of Fire Emblem, it's bound to get that attention.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, once you proceed to Leda, the remainder of Holmes's.route on the first split becomes linear, no more roaming around and killing monsters or shopping. So get it done now if you want.

Is this after i clear Ch.20 or would i still have time?

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

3rd split is entirely linear for Holmes.

Yeah, 3rd split is basically just a straight-shot to the finish, right? Just looking at when the splits happen.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

what happens if you kill chapter 34's boss but Runan cannot reach the throne?

Wait what? What would be stopping Runan from reaching the throne?

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Sooks does have a physical copy. The inside of the case is very nice, and I prefer physical copies in general, for some reason.

The inside of the case just has the portraits of all the playable characters, right?

Well, no, not all the playable characters. Faculty is excluded, because IntSys utterly despises all of their guts and wants you to know it.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Bro, if that was the hardest map in the game, then the rest of the game is a cakewalk.

I mean, not that this game was difficult to begin with but that map was just long, not hard.

Did you walk around the fort to the back gate, or did you confront it directly, ballistae and all? If you did the former, then yeah, it's not so hard.

Besides, I kinda jumped the gun there. Map 34 is probably more difficult.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Inb4 i send Attrom to the wrong army.

I'll just say it right now and save you the headache: Keep him with Holmes next split.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean, my top three Fire Emblems aren't exactly the conventional type but yeah, that is how i feel for the most part.

I've said in the past that i do think Kaga has good ideas, i just think he usually does a bad job actually implementing them.

I'm glad you've found one that does it okay, at least.

You know, i've always felt like comparing Berwick to Fire Emblem and the other KagaSags is kinda unfair since Berwick is just a different kind of SRPG. You can compare it narratively and thematically, sure, but comparing Berwick to Fire Emblem and the other KagaSagas gameplay-wise is like comparing Final Fantasy Tactics to Advance Wars.

Well, to be truthful, I only compare Berwick to FE because where else am I going to discuss Berwick? The only people who know about the game in the west (and the rest of KagaSaga, for that matter) are FE fans who have looked into Kaga's history. There's nowhere else for us to go. I'll latch on to whatever link to FE I can find so I can gush about it to people. Of course, that leads to people like who, who can see that the game's great, but it just isn't for them.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait what? What would be stopping Runan from reaching the throne?

Without delving into detail, chapter 34 is a seize map, but when you kill the boss, Runan automatically runs to the gate, no matter where he is on the map. He seems to avoid obstacles, so I'm really curious as to what he does if he is warped to an isolated location beforehand.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The inside of the case just has the portraits of all the playable characters, right?

Well, no, not all the playable characters. Faculty is excluded, because IntSys utterly despises all of their guts and wants you to know it.

EoX2kJv.jpg

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I get what you mean about the inverse covers, I flip them on every physical game I have (except Owlboy which has none). Doesn't matter for 3H when I got the limited edition and the steelbook cover, which is my preference it turns out, the inverse cover has the classes.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The Easy Way To Pronounce TH. (The, These, Think, Thursday) – Richard Hill  English

For all that I could see people arguing Tearring's similarities it's not something I worry about that strongly. The differences are what should make said game interesting right?

Berwick? I just don't see the similarities being that significant at all actually and I want to see Berwick be discussed outside an FE context. It's unfortunate that it's the main way it gets brought up as that will colour people's impressions and expectations of the game. That and of course a localisation would be nice to see agitated for, they could basically use Aethin's work to simplify the job as it delivers the text well enough as it stands.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Doesn't matter for 3H when I got the limited edition and the steelbook cover, which is my preference it turns out, the inverse cover has the classes.

Do you have a picture? I thought the steelbook was just that depiction of the goddess.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Did you walk around the fort to the back gate, or did you confront it directly, ballistae and all? If you did the former, then yeah, it's not so hard.

Like a mix of both. I took out the catapults while just standing there and taking out the monsters that were coming my way. Eventually i just sent Narron to bonk the summoners on the head and soon after, Barbossa blew himself up, clearing the map of all enemies except remaining harpy summoner, who was just sitting duck because he used up the staff.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, to be truthful, I only compare Berwick to FE because where else am I going to discuss Berwick? The only people who know about the game in the west (and the rest of KagaSaga, for that matter) are FE fans who have looked into Kaga's history. There's nowhere else for us to go.

That is true. Their audience is pretty small and the only people who have played them at least in the West are just Fire Emblem fans. At least Vestaria got officially localized so non-Fire Emblem fans could potentially see it and go "neat" and perhaps buy it.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I want to see Berwick be discussed outside an FE context.

I do think it'd be great if Berwick was discussed outside of FE context. Much like spiritual successors. You look at things like Gunvolt, Bloodstained, Stardew Valley, etc and you probably know what thing they're supposed to be the spiritual successor of but at the same time, you can discuss them without bringing up their spiritual predecessor.

Berwick is pretty much only brought up in the context of FE because, as Rubenio said, where else are people gonna talk about it?

And the devs aren't doing anything else, right? I mean, Tirnanog doesn't even have a Wikipeda page and Kaga's retired and doing his own thing, so the chances of a remake basically don't exist. And the translation patch is only a recent thing, so even among Fire Emblem fans, i'd say more people have played TearRing and Vestaria than Berwick.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

EoX2kJv.jpg

Yep, like I said. But at the very least here I can say "yeah they didn't put the faculty there so as not to spoil who's recruitable and who isn't."

Y'know, as opposed to chapter 13, which serves as the "fuck you up the ass if you used any units outside your starting team" check.

I will never not be bitter about it. I was on the fence about 3H until that moment. That was the one thing that turned my doubts about the game into hatred. I wasted hours of my life playing up to chapter 13, and for what?

7 minutes ago, Dayni said:

The Easy Way To Pronounce TH. (The, These, Think, Thursday) – Richard Hill  English

For all that I could see people arguing Tearring's similarities it's not something I worry about that strongly. The differences are what should make said game interesting right?

Berwick? I just don't see the similarities being that significant at all actually and I want to see Berwick be discussed outside an FE context. It's unfortunate that it's the main way it gets brought up as that will colour people's impressions and expectations of the game. That and of course a localisation would be nice to see agitated for, they could basically use Aethin's work to simplify the job as it delivers the text well enough as it stands.

It's what I said above. I'd love to discuss Berwick on its own, as it deserves, but where do I go? Without the whole "hey Kaga made this game, please listen to me," there's just nowhere. The game is extremely unknown, there isn't a Berwick forum out there, and even if there were, it'd just have like 20 people and we'd all be hardcore Berwick fans, so we'd achieve nothing. I know it gets obnoxious, but the Kaga link is too convenient not to exploit.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Without delving into detail, chapter 34 is a seize map, but when you kill the boss, Runan automatically runs to the gate, no matter where he is on the map. He seems to avoid obstacles, so I'm really curious as to what he does if he is warped to an isolated location beforehand.

(Forgot to talk about this)

If this is a scripted event, it probably just happens regardless.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Do you have a picture? I thought the steelbook was just that depiction of the goddess.

I meant that the inverse on the regular box had the classes. The inverse of the steelbook is pretty sparse actually and the picture I took was of the outer cover because I misinterpreted your question.

Like a mix of both. I took out the catapults while just standing there and taking out the monsters that were coming my way. Eventually i just sent Narron to bonk the summoners on the head and soon after, Barbossa blew himself up, clearing the map of all enemies except remaining harpy summoner, who was just sitting duck because he used up the staff.

Right. Well, that's okay. I hope map 34 offers more of a challenge to you!

Just now, Armagon said:

(Forgot to talk about this)

If this is a scripted event, it probably just happens regardless.

The thing is, Runan dodges obstacles on his way to the gate. I want to see if they just go "make Runan phase through walls if absolutely necessary" or if the game shits itself. On the other hand, the lategame Holmes maps are just... I can handle most of them, but even with my reticence to warpskip, I always warpskip one of Holmes's later maps.

Except in my Ironman, where Attrom died before he could recruit the warper. I had to play it straight that time. It was... not fun.

Okay, real talk, though. He may be horrendous and come at a huge opportunity cost, but...

Tmri5vbm o

Luca does have the coolest crossbow firing animation in the game. Look at that! You'd almost believe that he's a good unit!

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Except in my Ironman, where Attrom died before he could recruit the warper. I had to play it straight that time. It was... not fun.

DnlQ17BW4AA_ek4.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yep, like I said. But at the very least here I can say "yeah they didn't put the faculty there so as not to spoil who's recruitable and who isn't."

Y'know, as opposed to chapter 13, which serves as the "fuck you up the ass if you used any units outside your starting team" check.

I will never not be bitter about it. I was on the fence about 3H until that moment. That was the one thing that turned my doubts about the game into hatred. I wasted hours of my life playing up to chapter 13, and for what?

To have played the best game ever!

No but seriously, I don’t like chapter 13 either, I just can accept it with the rest being what I consider to be great. I’m sure Berwick has a bad chapter in there. Maybe...

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I meant that the inverse on the regular box had the classes. The inverse of the steelbook is pretty sparse actually and the picture I took was of the outer cover because I misinterpreted your question.

The regular box of what?

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

Maybe he is Sylvis' ancestor.

Raquel's the guy's sister and she's almost as amazing as Sylvis. Yeah, that checks out.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

To have played the best game ever!

17c.png

No but seriously, I don’t like chapter 13 either, I just can accept it with the rest being what I consider to be great. I’m sure Berwick has a bad chapter in there. Maybe...

Yeah, Berwick has a bad map. You know what it doesn't have? A bad map that you have to mold your entire run around because otherwise you get softlocked and have wasted your hours. Bad maps by themselves don't ruin games, but if they're so utterly abysmal that you cannot continue past them unless you only use the starting class and make them all wyverns, well... I'm sorry, but I can't forgive that. If I want to make Ignatz and Byleth into mages, I shouldn't be punished for it with a map where every single enemy one-rounds them both.

Mind, this only applies to maddening. When I played it in hard, nothing could harm Gilbert. Of course, that's a different problem altogether - outside of the "divine pulse bait" moments, the game was so easy that it failed to entertain me. For me to like an easy SRPG it needs to do absolutely everything else right, and so far I think only TRS manages that. You should play TearRing Saga, you know. And Berwick Saga. But I digress.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And the devs aren't doing anything else, right? I mean, Tirnanog doesn't even have a Wikipeda page and Kaga's retired and doing his own thing, so the chances of a remake basically don't exist. And the translation patch is only a recent thing, so even among Fire Emblem fans, i'd say more people have played TearRing and Vestaria than Berwick.

I don't think Tirnanog exist any more anyway. It'd be on the backs of the current rightsholders, which is a legit question as I don't think it's clear who it is.

Ease of access to Vestaria in comparison helps for sure.

(Do we know how well Tearring sold, because I don't know for sure but doubt it sold better than Berwick, a game that outsold PoR in Japan)

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'd love to discuss Berwick on its own, as it deserves, but where do I go? Without the whole "hey Kaga made this game, please listen to me," there's just nowhere. The game is extremely unknown, there isn't a Berwick forum out there, and even if there were, it'd just have like 20 people and we'd all be hardcore Berwick fans, so we'd achieve nothing. I know it gets obnoxious, but the Kaga link is too convenient not to exploit.

I wonder if there's much of an audience for PS2 emulation fans looking for obscure titles, considering there's few big ones that are region locked, at least to the US. It's surprising how nostalgia for the 5th gen consoles evaporated quicker than it deserved and there's been limited purchase for 6th gen nostalgia despite now being the time for it.

I could see the emulation crowd as a potential audience for the idea at least. The PS2 wasn't much of a 2D console, so that alone is a standout in retrospect. It has a system of gameplay all it's own with very open unit progression for being linear. The minor characters get plenty of room to breathe (just avoid talking about Reese. 😛). You can use Hexagon propaganda too as an angle.

Edited by Dayni

I’m free from school work! How will maddening go..?

It'll most likely be Maddening.

I wish you luck on chapter 5. (Or whatever the Miklan one is.) That was... Well, I'll let you form your own opinion.