Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Sooks said:

So... what you’re saying is... what you like in FEs leaves you unable to enjoy the ones that don’t have that, but you still think they’re good games?

Right on the money, yes. I mean, my first FE was FE7, and I loved it to death back then! It's just, now that I've actually played every FE out there, I've developed a series of preferences, and some FEs fit them better than others. Nothing to do about it, I'm afraid it's just the way it is.

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

JRt0yAr.png

red x = dead weights

Hmmm, i wish i could take one of the other fliers to the other team, but this might actually work

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

This is a Kaga game, so you probably don’t get to choose.

i hate romance choices in games most of the time

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xeno

How good can the story of a series where everyone is fanservice be

Okay, okay, no, I don't know that, I shouldn't say that. I apologize. It's just, I see you hate on Kaga's games in every aspect, and well, I couldn't help myself. Sorry.

Uh... Moving on.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

JRt0yAr.png

red x = dead weights

Hmmm, i wish i could take one of the other fliers to the other team, but this might actually work

Yes, that looks good.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

JRt0yAr.png

red x = dead weights

Are these each of the teams for the route split that the game doesn’t tell you about? Or is that a different game? Do you get to choose here?

i hate romance choices in games most of the time

Roy is in tears.

I like how fe7 and Three Houses do it (not Byleth’s S support choice, I mean I think Three Houses has some good romances despite the fact that they’re all off screen after the game. What I mean is, I like many of the supports).

Edited by Sooks

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

The game is actually very cleaar about it

The problem is you can'T choose who goes where

Is it clear about who will go where beforehand? I think this was the one @Armagon didn’t like. Maybe.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

hate romance choices in games most of the time

Understandable, a canon pairing has the chance to be written well whereas letting the player choose doesn't always work out.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay, okay, no, I don't know that, I shouldn't say that. I apologize. It's just, I see you hate on Kaga's games in every aspect, and well, I couldn't help myself. Sorry.

I try not to but I just don't have a good track record with his games.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Is it clear about who will go where beforehand? I think this was the one @Armagon didn’t like. Maybe.

Yeah, my problem is that over half the people accounted for were dead weights.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Also, just so i can plan with the inventory: Now each team has 2 maps than final map?

Yeah, with Cyltan joining halfway through the endgame I think.

The maps alternate btw.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Also, just so i can plan with the inventory: Now each team has 2 maps than final map?

Yes, though Cyltan's party will be a bit late to endgame

29 minutes ago, Spara said:

And, additionally, the place I'd argue where VS1's story falls the hardest is villains - Tamthir is probably the best one and he only matters for like four maps! Senator Dulles has a bad case of existing, and Therenius, while decently fun, isn't that interesting. HSoS has better villains, and TRS and BWS each have one of Kaga's best villains.

I do absolute adore Adelaide. All the fun parts about Gangrel but everything beyond that isn't a complete burning trainwreck.

Of course she isn't exactly a major antagonist, considering she is only mentioned in the aftermath of the Venicia part and never brought up again until she is confronted directly.
Still, she makes the most of her limited screentime. She is wonderful. Goes out on her own terms too, like a badass.

27 minutes ago, Spara said:

Frankly, it only really hurts VS1 too much because they feel way too hammy a lot of the time. Who gives a shit about Zweiras? I barely even remember that guy because the other two non-Margulites around him were way more interesting/threatening, and they were underdeveloped. They're definitely more interesting in Silvanister, though they're not great still, in part because that game has much better lead villains. I don't find it too distracting in TRS, though, since it feels like he actually wrote what he intended the Loptrians to be in FE4/5, based off that scene in the Aed Shrine.

I think they are good at what they are. An antagonistic force that while not in any way interesting, feels most certainly threatening. They are literal demons, effectively immortal and are always the largest threat on any map they appear in by far, despite never being what the map revolves around. They are shown to be extremely powerful but also smart in utilizing that strength, always engaging opponents on their terms.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I try not to but I just don't have a good track record with his games.

No, no, it's understandable. I mean, I'd have to be a pretty huge hypocrite to criticize you for that. I was just fooling around.

So, I'm playing through the Mustafa chapter now. I must say, Mustafa's rather pleasantly surprising me. He's basically like TearRing Saga's Barbarossa, except worse. Which, honestly? It's the best damn writing I've seen in this game. If there was a character for him to talk to who would then go on to serve as a permanent reminder of his fate throughout the rest of the game (read, like Stephanie with Barbarossa), he'd be great.

Too bad I can't say the same about the chapter. Chapter's being literally the same as any other Awakening chapter. Edgy Kabba, Frederick and Sully/Kellam kill everything while I watch. The end. All the awesome music and visuals in the world cannot change that.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I think they are good at what they are. An antagonistic force that while not in any way interesting, feels most certainly threatening. They are literal demons, effectively immortal and are always the largest threat on any map they appear in by far, despite never being what the map revolves around. They are shown to be extremely powerful but also smart in utilizing that strength, always engaging opponents on their terms.

I can kinda see it. Thing is, they do both way better in HSoS, sooo... maybe I'm a bit biased against them

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There weren't cringy tea time staring sequences in Genealogy

None of this is in Awakening.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

the ones in Fates where you just stroke people's faces

None of this is in Awakening, and it was even removed in USA version

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

there also weren't time travelling kids.

Fair enough, but at the very least they make sense within the plot. At least without deeprealms and all its problems or killing your entire cast and replacing with a bunch of bland characters whose only characteristic is being the children of X and Y (and I'm the weird guy who enjoys Genealogy Gen 2 more than Gen 1).

Look, as the others pointed out earlier, the real problem is that you already started the game thinking that you would not like it, and that prevented you from, well, liking it. Since you don't care about the characters, getting their supports, etc., you won't care about the conflict surrounding them.

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Heck, were you around when I shared my first impressions of FE4? Only characters that married were Alec and Arden for memes.

No, but I hope you paired Alec with Erinys to get that sweet Nihil Fee.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So, I'm playing through the Mustafa chapter now. I must say, Mustafa's rather pleasantly surprising me. He's basically like TearRing Saga's Barbarossa, except worse. Which, honestly? It's the best damn writing I've seen in this game. If there was a character for him to talk to who would then go on to serve as a permanent reminder of his fate throughout the rest of the game (read, like Stephanie with Barbarossa), he'd be great.

Too bad I can't say the same about the chapter. Chapter's being literally the same as any other Awakening chapter. Edgy Kabba, Frederick and Sully/Kellam kill everything while I watch. The end.

Oh is that the chapter with the music?

Which is to say 

Edited by Sooks

6 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

None of this is in Awakening.

None of this is in Awakening, and it was even removed in USA version

Yeah, not talking about Awakening specifically here. Just... in general.

Look, as the others pointed out earlier, the real problem is that you already started the game thinking that you would not like it, and that prevented you from, well, liking it. Since you don't care about the characters, getting their supports, etc., you won't care about the conflict surrounding them.

I don't know, man. It's easy to blame me for not liking the game, but you know what game I did fully expect to love? Three Houses. You know, the FE game I hate the most because it utterly disappointed me? I think it would've been worse if I had expected/wanted to like it. Because that's what happened with Three Houses. I truly did want to love that one, but I couldn't, and it made me angry at it.

Besides, it's not the fact that I went in "thinking I wouldn't like it" that has prevented me from caring. It's the fact that the game spent the first 8 chapters or so wasting its time with mindless anime gag after mindless anime gag. Haha nobody notices Kellam, haha Stalh overslept, haha Sumia fell over again, haha Vaike forgot his axe, haha Virion came out of nowhere to perv on Sully, haha Lissa is a spoiled brat, haha Frederick is done with everyone... During the entire first stretch of the game, there was literally nothing to the game's story but that. The friggin' conflict felt secondary to the funny moments. And even the conflict was like... Okay, so now we're fighting Ferox for no reason, and now we're getting manipulated into participating in some tournament, and now... Literally just random enemies that showed up. It was all so disconnected, so... purposeless.

I'm truly sorry, but after all of that, when the game abruptly changed its tone and demanded that I took it seriously... Well, I just couldn't.

Also, what do you mean, I don't care about getting supports? I did get the supports. And since everyone has one character trait, I grew bored of reading them. But I did read them. Please don't assume things like that.

No, but I hope you paired Alec with Erinys to get that sweet Nihil Fee.

Nope, it was with Sylvia.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oh is that the chapter with the music?

Yes. Unfortunate that such a beautiful track was wasted on a hallway that was cleared in 7 turns by my overpowereds.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

While self fullfilling prophecy are definetly a thing, i think in a series with so many games like this it's hard to not have what you expected from a game.

Like for example, me playing Vestaria Saga atm mirrors most of experience with the Kaga games, ie. liking the early game, disliking the mid game, and now approaching the late game i am liking it again, cringy romance, etc.

It's hard to not have some expectations (good or bad) when you have playing so many games from the same series. Most of the time you know what you are getting into

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm truly sorry, but after all of that, when the game abruptly changed its tone and demanded that I took it seriously... Well, I just couldn't.

You might recall that when the laws of nature were turned on it's head back in chapter 1, the characters cared so little about it that Chrom didn't even tell Emmeryn about it.
It's just casually brought up by Frederick at the end of the scene. There was apparently an off-screen discussion about it and judging by what Chrom said the next time we saw him, the only thing that came out of it is that they made up for a name for those zombies.
I mean how can you be expected to care about the story when the characters themselves don't care?

Edited by BrightBow

3 hours ago, Maof06 said:

Yeah, but an in-depth guide about the pairings and what each brings to the table is proof that there's merit to the system.

It's not like FE4 though, where you shouldn't have some setups since they plainly don't work well at all. I could literally pair anyone together in Awakening and have plenty of sucess, even on Lunatic mode.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

How good can the story of a series where everyone is fanservice be

Image result for xenosaga 1 headless albedo

Fanservice at it's finest right here. XD

Joking aside, i don't think a headless guy is fanservice, at least i hope not.