Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Let’s see here, play the Trails of Series which some fans say gets worse as time goes on or read Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast trilogy, which is stated to be on par if not better then the Lord of the Rings. Decisions, decisions.

Trails it is then.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Finally, I can go pick up my Degree at a later date. Two years late but well, better than never as they say.

Congrats! 🥳

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I am glad to know that you are still, in fact, Wraith. I was worried for a second there when you showed interest in Gacha Impact.

Oh Saint Rubenio, why would I waste my time on boring gacha games when I could read fantasy stories from well over 75 years ago which helped to created the genre to begin with and are still far superior in story and tone?

Edited by Wraith

22 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Meanwhile, Nights of Azure depicts a romance between two girls and it's neither fetishized, nor treated as something special. It's just two people loving each other, and one of the best romances I've ever seen in a video game.
Play Nights of Azure, y'all.

Mainstream gaming, or really any form of gaming that isn't particularly indie or avant-garde, is going to be slow and piecemeal at integrating this kind of stuff. But there are gradual improvements, FE has slowly gotten better with each game on this matter. And Story of Seasons now allows for same-sex marriage -although I am disappointed that Rune Factory 5 doesn't look to be adding it.

15 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Which support? I’ve never heard that.

Ophelia was it? 

Although take anything I say of Fates with a measure of caution. I've played the game each and every playthrough clothes on, lights on, no eye contact, no paying attention to the story or supports. It's all secondhand information with me. Fates is purely a gameplay experience for me.

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

for the first openly gay character in fe (I think, correct me if I’m wrong).

Well... it was never outright said in the North American version, but...

heather_en.png

Heather: Awww… I really wanted to go to the palace. I would’ve been happy with just a tiny little glance at Queen Elincia. She’s… glorious. This is so unfair!

Heather is lesbian, and very much a man-disliker with a great lusting for women. Not the best portrayal to have her so obsessed, but I could imagine worse would've been possible.

Kyza, also from Radiant Dawn, had most of his flamboyant language toned down in North America to hide his gayness for Ranulf in RD too.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Oh Saint Rubenio, why would I waste my time on boring gacha games when I could read fantasy stories from well over 75 years ago which helped to created the genre to begin with and are still far superior in story and tone?

But there aren't waifus in ye olde tomes, now, are there?

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, Soleil talk.

Won't comment on anything else, just to point how amusing it is to me that localization removed any romantic overtones with any of her male supports except for Corrin... and Forrest. Because of course Forrest would be the other exception.

Okay, that is hilarious. I appreciate Treehouse's attempt to salvage the character that, by all accounts, seems to have originally embodied just about everything wrong with Japan. They may suck at translating, but can't fault 'em for that, at least.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well... it was never outright said in the North American version

Never outright, but it was pretty damn clear to me.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kyza, also from Radiant Dawn, had most of language toned down in North America to hide his gayness for Ranulf in RD too.

...This is the one that flew over my head. He seemed like just your regular-ass "loyal to a fault" advisor. In fact, he was completely forgettable in the version I played. No doubt a side effect from the changes.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

First?

Someone hasn't seen Marty's ending title.

Say it with me: Kaga Did It--

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Mainstream gaming, or really any form of gaming that isn't particularly indie or avant-garde, is going to be slow and piecemeal at integrating this kind of stuff. But there are gradual improvements, FE has slowly gotten better with each game on this matter. And Story of Seasons now allows for same-sex marriage -although I am disappointed that Rune Factory 5 doesn't look to be adding it.

Fair!

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But there aren't waifus in ye olde tomes, now, are there?

...You have much to learn young grasshopper.

Edited by Wraith

4 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Oh Sooks, you remind me of my younger naive self.

There was a time when you preferred to do other things than reading old fantasy books? Maybe the Emperor wasn’t forever.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well... it was never outright said in the North American version, but...

heather_en.png

Heather: Awww… I really wanted to go to the palace. I would’ve been happy with just a tiny little glance at Queen Elincia. She’s… glorious. This is so unfair!

Heather is lesbian, and very much a man-disliker with a great lusting for women.

Kyza, also from Radiant Dawn, had most of language toned down to hide his gayness for Ranulf in RD too.

Well that explains it, I’ve never touched Tellius.

"Why must you resort to violence? I really do despise savages..."

Why must you refrain from taking your hexing rod and shoving it up your ass? I really do despise assholes...

No, seriously, fuck Azama. Fuck him a thousand times over. I still haven't forgiven him for what he pulled in my first run.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

There was a time when you preferred to do other things than reading old fantasy books? Maybe the Emperor wasn’t forever.

Don’t blaspheme in my presence young one.

You know, I just realized something. Both Kaze and Rinkah pull the whole "maybe I was wrong about Nohr" thing in their death quotes in chapter 11, whereas Azama and Setsuna just leave. And yet, only Kaze joins. Rinkah vanishes from the face of the earth. I wonder if they originally intended to make her join in all routes as well, but then scrapped it just to make me in particular sad.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...This is the one that flew over my head. He seemed like just your regular-ass "loyal to a fault" advisor. In fact, he was completely forgettable in the version I played. No doubt a side effect from the changes.

Well, apparently in Japanese he is supposed to be polite and formal in public, as befitting a model soldier. But when with close friends, the public formality is dropped and his stereotypical gay behavior comes out.

You know those those bastardizations of things called "supports" in RD?

Type 18: Oh…Captain ___…hello! If only we could secret away and…catch our breath! I trust all is well.

This one line is the most gay of them all for Kyza in the North American English translation. Have no idea why they programmed it to have the name slot be variable, when the "captain" title probably applies solely to Ranulf. But "...catch our breath" is an obvious euphemism.

28 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

You can, though!
There should be something like "Friendship" and then a number behind it on a characters stat screen. If that number is red, you need to view an event to advance it higher.

Oh! Ok then.

28 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Second to last/Last day of the week, early in the morning. At the church.
That's the location and timeframe for her events, usually.

Yeah, i did complete one such event.

24 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Finally, I can go pick up my Degree at a later date. Two years late but well, better than never as they say.

Congratulations man.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And Story of Seasons now allows for same-sex marriage -although I am disappointed that Rune Factory 5 doesn't look to be adding it.

It's kinda weird that they aren't, considering both are owned by the same company.

Although if i recall, Story of Seasons in Japan has it be "best friends". It's the localization that has actually gone ahead and made the same-sex marriages explicit.

Just now, Armagon said:

It's kinda weird that they aren't, considering both are owned by the same company.

Although if i recall, Story of Seasons in Japan has it be "best friends". It's the localization that has actually gone ahead and made the same-sex marriages explicit.

If I had to guess, it's because SoS has the public image of being a children's game (despite the fact the fanbase has significantly aged), a "best friends ceremony" is innocent. In Rune Factory, the "innocent children's game" angle won't work. -Unless it's a pretend marriage between kids, then you get the RF2 Gen 2 instance of Aria being able to "marry" the twin girls, although not either of the other female children, nor Aaron a single boy.

A recent interview by the director of the latest SoS said he'd be open to changing the name of the "best friend ceremony" to marriage (presumably if Japan legalized ss marriage, Taiwan IIRC is the only East/Southeast Asian country to do so so far). But the director dodgetanked the entire interview like he'd gouged out his enemies' eyes beforehand, so it doesn't hold a lot of weight.

I've had quite a couple of misses with Hit rates as high as 95. I'm not really surprised. So speaketh the RNG.

Though it is a bit annoying.

Then again, looking at some of my gacha pulls in Another Eden, the problem is definitely me.