• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I wonder what he'll think of Bahamut Lagoon.

It's a SRPG... but you deploy squads up to four characters, and when you attack an enemy squad, the battle round plays like a regular RPG.

So… the grid is pointless? You don’t make it sound like it does anything other than let you choose what squad fights who.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

So… the grid is pointless? You don’t make it sound like it does anything other than let you choose what squad fights who.

Oh, there is a point to the grid.

Better to show it:

Map beings at 8:35.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

So I happened to be browsing the forum, since I didn't want to play Ace Attorney while my gums hurt, and I stumbled into my second Conquest team.

I'd completely forgotten, but Haitaka capped defense in that run too. Not only that, he had way more HP.

Pfft. So much for "defense on the lower side."

11 minutes ago, Dayni said:

....Maybe Radiant Historia would work for you after all? Though to be fair the combat's very much not SRPG, the enemies are on a grid and that is a central part of it.

It is fairly anime with the 3DS artstyle though (less so with the original), so maybe do what I did at the time and play the DS version with a "legitimate" cart because it wasn't released here.

It is certainly worth considering.

Man, though, why is every single game everyone in this thread plays a goddamned RPG?

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

Of course. Hector is everything and always has been.

Spoiler

Hector was the member of the mender council who ordered Juno dead.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What is a grid but simply a menu?

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Armagon, no. I am not going to play Xenoblade. Stop it.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Man, though, why is every single game everyone in this thread plays a goddamned RPG?

Because this is a forum which is built on an SRPG series and plenty came to it having played RPGs prior would be a guess I'd make. Sure, not as much on the basis of Teehee, but still.

(And I don't mention non-RPGs I play too often, especially with how long some of the RPGs I've played are they can also take much air.)

Ultimately, Bahamut Lagoon is still a SRPG at its core. You can engage the enemies in standard RPG format, or just use the AoE abilities which harm the entire squad without being counterattacked and attack other squads too. Also its maps incorporate terrain changes, as seen when the bridge got destroyed and the river frozen.

Its other big gameplay pulling is the whole dragon raising mechanics. Essentially half your party is always AI controlled with only some commands to give them.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, there is a point to the grid.

Better to show it:

Map beings at 8:35.

Huh, so it’s kinda like a normal SRPG grid with terrain and positioning to think about, but the battles are still different. Interesting.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You told me to play this one, Ruben! Told me! I heard about the time you stayed up until 2 in the morning because you thought you were just at the end and those 5 hours were the most magical experience of your life and then you went to bed and had nightmares 15 times!

The dragons also affect their respective squad's stats and abilities to a degree, so you have to think the dragon+squad as one entity. Just one that can cover two spaces on the map and act twice.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Because this is a forum which is built on an SRPG series and plenty came to it having played RPGs prior would be a guess I'd make. Sure, not as much on the basis of Teehee, but still.

How dare you explain in such a way that makes sense. Now I cannot keep thinking that everyone just has terrible taste except for me.

4 minutes ago, Dayni said:

(And I don't mention non-RPGs I play too often, especially with how long some of the RPGs I've played are they can also take much air.)

True, RPGs have a way to be obnoxious.

Except the ones I like. All the ones I like are on the shorter side. Because that's the way I work, I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ultimately, Bahamut Lagoon is still a SRPG at its core. You can engage the enemies in standard RPG format, or just use the AoE abilities which harm the entire squad without being counterattacked and attack other squads too. Also its maps incorporate terrain changes, as seen when the bridge got destroyed and the river frozen.

Its other big gameplay pulling is the whole dragon raising mechanics. Essentially half your party is always AI controlled with only some commands to give them.

Doesn't sound too bad.

You told me to play this one, Ruben! Told me!

Yeah, but that's because this one isn't just any regular ol' RPG. The final part of this game was one of the most mag--

I heard about the time you stayed up until 2 in the morning because you thought you were just at the end and those 5 hours were the most magical experience of your life and then you went to bed and had nightmares 15 times!

...Yeah, that.

Actually, one of the most magical gaming experiences. Get the terms right, I've said it enough times that you should be able to.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Is that just from a lack of patience?

Don't forget, if a game doesn't unload its entire plot onto my mind in 30 seconds I get mad, rant and quit.

Nah but really, it's just my personal distate for traditional RPG gameplay. I'm willing to pour hours into games I like. I mean, I can hardly say otherwise when my Steam account publicly displays my 2219 hours on TF2 for all to see, haha.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Don't forget, if a game doesn't unload its entire plot onto my mind in 30 seconds I get mad, rant and quit.

Nah but really, it's just my personal distate for traditional RPG gameplay. I'm willing to pour hours into games I like. I mean, I can hardly say otherwise when my Steam account publicly displays my 2219 hours on TF2 for all to see, haha.

Wow, those expectations are pretty high. Xd

Well what about them bothers you?

It took until case fuckin' 4 of 5.

But finally.

FINALLY

There's a woman in Great Ace Attorney 1 that isn't underaged.

Now watch her be the murderer because Japan hates women who aren't children apparently.

Eh, that's fine. Who needs waifus when Van Zieks is right there, amirite?

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Wow, those expectations are pretty high. Xd

Ehhh not exactly that the expectations are high, I just don't like RPGs that much.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Well what about them bothers you?

I find them boring if they don't spice up the combat system to be more dynamic and engaging. Like, for example, Mario & Luigi with its dodging and excellent attack systems, Octopath Traveller with it's break and boost systems or Mother 3 with its rythm attack system.

No grander arguments here, to be honest. Just a matter of personal tastes. And, frankly, for as much as I complain about RPGs, it doesn't take that much to make me like them. Octopath is still long, but the combat system was enough to make me replay it. I just need them to do something with their gameplay that is unique and spices up the combat routine.

Sounds like AE's Zones.

Don't know if it's truly unique, but AE's Zone Setting mechanics certainly put an interesting dynamic to the combat system.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I find them boring if they don't spice up the combat system to be more dynamic and engaging. Like, for example, Mario & Luigi with its dodging and excellent attack systems, Octopath Traveller with it's break and boost systems or Mother 3 with its rythm attack system.

No grander arguments here, to be honest. Just a matter of personal tastes. And, frankly, for as much as I complain about RPGs, it doesn't take that much to make me like them. Octopath is still long, but the combat system was enough to make me replay it. I just need them to do something with their gameplay that is unique and spices up the combat routine.

and their broken Bros. Moves! Dont forget those, lmao.

I suppose that depends on your definition of unique. 

32 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Sounds like AE's Zones.

Don't know if it's truly unique, but AE's Zone Setting mechanics certainly put an interesting dynamic to the combat system.

Okay, fine. I caved. I checked it out.

...not gonna lie, the word "gacha" does lower my interest in the game a mighty bit. Shame, it did look rather fun. And the cats. It had a lotta cats.

20 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

and their broken Bros. Moves! Dont forget those, lmao.

Certainly not! They're half the fun of those games' combat.

20 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I suppose that depends on your definition of unique. 

I suppose it does, yes.

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Music likely helped.

Never Let Up is like, the best boss thing in games.

In games not named Omori anyway.

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Knock back bros. Advanced! Was legit a one round on any boss fight.

They were all on the easier side, from what I remember.

Except Dream Team. That one's got a hard mode, and it pulls no punches. It's not being the hardest game I ever played, but i've had trouble with a few bosses.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

@Saint Rubenio are Hero and Mari together? It’s obvious that they want to be but the picnic in sweetheart’s dungeon heavily implies they are, yet the game never really confirmed it, I don’t think.

I mean, the game never goes "wow Mari and Hero you make such a cute couple since you started going out as boyfriend and girlfriend in love," but it's pretty clear. Have you tried talking to her with Hero on the lead? It's pretty hilarious. And the other two, for that matter. Everyone gets a different line from her.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay, fine. I caved. I checked it out.

...not gonna lie, the word "gacha" does lower my interest in the game a mighty bit. Shame, it did look rather fun. And the cats. It had a lotta cats.

Well, you aren't a Xenoblade fan, so I can't tell you that AE's gacha is more like Xenoblade 2's in terms of functionality.

As it is, game is totally doable with the free units it gives you. Heck, all the bosses I've beaten in recent days has been with free units. Game is playable without using the gacha, and you still receive enough free pulls anyway.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Certainly not! They're half the fun of those games' combat.

Thats true.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

They were all on the easier side, from what I remember.

Except Dream Team. That one's got a hard mode, and it pulls no punches. It's not being the hardest game I ever played, but i've had trouble with a few bosses.

I don't remember any of them being difficult. The ending battle of partners in time took forever since its literally a battle of the player surviving.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Never Let Up is like, the best boss thing in games.

In games not named Omori anyway.

Well, you’ve certainly raised my expectations. That was probably the point, wasn’t it?

I mean, the game never goes "wow Mari and Hero you make such a cute couple since you started going out as boyfriend and girlfriend in love," but it's pretty clear. Have you tried talking to her with Hero on the lead? It's pretty hilarious. And the other two, for that matter. Everyone gets a different line from her.

I have tried talking to Mari with everyone in the lead, yeah.

As far as Mari and Hero, it’s never been quite clear to me how serious they’re being with each other considering their portraits. Maybe that’s just me reading into it too much, but it felt more like a will-they won’t-they type deal before now.

Spoiler

Of course, there was Hero’s response to Mari’s death, or at least what you hear about it from Kel in the graveyard. It’s more… visceral, than you would expect from the older one (two years is a big difference in kids, depending on exactly how old) for just-a-friend.

But everyone responds differently, or so they say, so it could be nothing.

Edited by Sooks

24 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Well, you’ve certainly raised my expectations. That was probably the point, wasn’t it?

Heh, well...

I have tried talking to Mari with everyone in the lead, yeah.

Okay, good.

Hide contents

Of course, there was Hero’s response to Mari’s death, or at least what you hear about it from Kel in the graveyard. It’s more… visceral, than you would expect from the older one (two years is a big difference in kids, depending on exactly how old) for just-a-friend.

But everyone responds differently, or so they say, so it could be nothing.

Spoiler

Again, they never say it like, matter-of-factly, but it's pretty clear that they were either a couple or about to be.

About the scene, I just wanted to say that I missed the graveyard scene in my run. It was a funny story. I went looking for the grave, but before I could find the obvious correct one, I found an easter egg. There's one random grave om the other side of the area that plays a faint sound when interacted with.

I assumed that was the one but there was nothing to do there yet. Then I promptly forgot to ever return to the graveyard. Whoops.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hide contents

About the scene, I just wanted to say that I missed the graveyard scene in my run. It was a funny story. I went looking for the grave, but before I could find the obvious correct one, I found an easter egg. There's one random grave om the other side of the area that plays a faint sound when interacted with.

I assumed that was the one but there was nothing to do there yet. Then I promptly forgot to ever return to the graveyard. Whoops.

Spoiler

What is that an easter egg of? Why does the random grave have a sound effect attached to it, I mean. It is referencing something isn’t it?

How do you miss the grave with the obvious and circular, concentrated sun beam shining directly on it? Did you find the easter egg grave immediately and decide to not look any further?