• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

8 hours ago, Father Shrimpas said:

f9476ddd46340fb98a8687344f7b3d11--fun-st

I will always give props to Fates for referencing the "Owain Dark Saga" from Awakening with Odin Dark.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah yes, villagers. I really admire your spirit. Go ahead and take one of the spaces I need to fight Nichol. Truly remarkable.

Sigh... Well, it's done. The strat worked, as I expected it to. Honestly, I'm almost happy that happened, because I got to watch the sequence of events play out like clockwork without the paladin ruining everything. Shizue's first level is bad, but I still believe in her. Nichol and the female strategist have been captured. I feel a bit bad about it, they're both kinda busted. But I just love the generic strategist design.

kzLlyhhw_o.png

Also, this happened. I'm... I just... good effort, Nyx. Good effort. Keep it up....

Man, I completely forgot about Nyx.

That's the fun part of returning to Fates for me is that there's always that one character I forgot the existence of.

Edited by GuardianSing

Was 4 not on sale or could you just not afford it?

It was, I’m just trying not to spend too much money at one time, just in case. 1-3 all on sale together was 70 bucks, essentially a new new game. 4 would have brought that over 100 lol. That and -35% isn’t as appealing to my monkey brain as -50%, unless there probably won’t be better a deal during the holidays if it would even change at all.

Oh hey, Tiki is underleveled. Is she any good trained up in this game?

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Must be nice having money to spend on frivolities...

I just hope it lasts when I’m an adult, literally all of it is from relatives giving me money on holidays.

Well, that hasn't stopped for me. But it's a sad reminder that it's basically my only source of income. I still have Arthur-tier luck when it comes to finding a job.

Sorry I haven't been posting too much, it wasn't so much the covid, which I'm almost symptomatically over, as it was OGs again. I play for several hours/a couple battles and then give my eyes some hours to rest in between. 

Fortunately, I'm almost done with the first run of OG1. I simply was in the mood to play it today until I got this classic machine.:

Spoiler

gsdx-20211124172640.png

The good old first generation Huckebein, now being basically reused in SRW30. I had to do a lot of feeding Cheer-buffed kills to someone to unlock this OG1 secret unit, but I so badly wanted it. Black Hole Cannon might actually look less visually impressive than the Mk-II's G-Impact Cannon in OGs, but still, shooting the enemy with black holes is awesome. 

Plus...

gsdx-20211124170420.png

This is the only battle in OG1 where R/Ling is playable! Girl is mature and classy, if a rather bad user of the 008L ironically enough. To read that she stopped being playable in the OGverse after OG2 is very disappointing, why'd they drop her from the lineup? Can't they build her an Exbein in the next game, pleaaaaaase? So, I had to have fun with her in this one battle, and I will have to enjoy the limited availability she has in OG2.

And as for the endgame, narratively.:

gsdx-20211123093640.png

This feels so forced, but somehow, I like it.😆

gsdx-20211124165647.pnggsdx-20211124165720.pnggsdx-20211124165729.png

😄

The actual military operation described sounds none too bad. Assemble the remaining military assets the Earth has in 15-20 days (which seems like an incredibly short time, but entertainment can demand unrealistically fast logistics), before the surrender ultimatum period put forward by the hostile aliens expires. And then, launch an attack on the aliens' lone yet imposing base, despite estimates of being outnumbered 6:1. A military operation broken down into four phases.:

1. Phase 1- Engage the enemy in orbit around their artificial planetoid and attempt to scatter and destroy their forces. Deploy electromagnetic jammers as can be to help send them into further disarray.
  2. Phase 2- Immediately follows the distraction of Phase 1. Launch nuclear ICBMs at the aliens' base from afar and hope that destroys it. And make sure the enemy doesn't hack into your nukes and reprogram them against you.
  3. Phase 3- If Phase 2 fails, move the battleships in really close and attempt to blast the planetoid into smithereens with their laser and gravity cannons.
  4. Phase 4- If Phase 3 fails, send in the mecha special forces. Have them find or make a way inside the den of evil, and eradicate the threat to Earth and humanity that lay therein.

If Phase 4 fails, Operation SRW has failed, and humanity is doomed.

Needless it be said, if you read about an elaborate four-stage war plan in a video game or other form of entertainment, expect every step to fail, except the last.😛

It feels epic and developed enough that I feel drawn into it.

15 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Hey, its Excellen! I know her from MK404's hack! I'm proud of myself now. Xd

That's how I came to know about SRW. Fun times.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And as for the endgame, narratively.:

gsdx-20211123093640.png

Haken in PxZ1: "Let the Super Robot Wars begin"

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

gsdx-20211124165647.pnggsdx-20211124165720.pnggsdx-20211124165729.png

😄

Reminded me of this joke

54 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Haken in PxZ1: "Let the Super Robot Wars begin"

Cool Dude says that when there are hardly any super robots in EF already. There's like less than ten among those two games.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Hey, its Excellen! I know her from MK404's hack! I'm proud of myself now. Xd

Excellen is relatively popular among SRW original characters. There's a reason she'll be in SRW 30's DLC.

57 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's how I came to know about SRW. Fun times.

To draw a moment's attention to a few spoilery details I noticed.:

Spoiler

gsdx-20211124132503.png

This duplicitous Zuvorg guy curiously lied and never explained that his people weren't the same as the Aerogaters. This, despite the game making nods to Guest and implying more aliens than the Aerogaters existed. It seems the Corrupt Earth Politicians weren't just about to knowingly hand over the planet to aliens, they were handing it to aliens who weren't actually the aliens presently most forcefully threatening the planet. They were evil and stupid. There was no need to lie, Rotten And Selfish Government Officials would gladly accept alien suzerainty for protection against other aliens. But then, if you're the kind of person to believe in galactic imperialism and see earthlings as utterly primitive, why wouldn't you consider resorting to lying?

gsdx-20211124144510.png

I remember this guy had some bad blood with Wendolo, so "vagrants" must be alluding to the future arrival of the Inspectors. Technically on the same side, but not exactly friendly.

gsdx-20211124132633.png

They actually gave the Shirogane some sort of lore advantage over its other Space Noah siblings, if a useless one in gameplay.

gsdx-20211124144842.png

So does this mean all the OG Balshem clones were created in the Nevi'im? Even if Balmar withdrew all but two?

gsdx-20211124093321.png

This line was in the GBA versions, it's hard not to remember it- Ingram is shocked. But how exactly do Gilliam and Ingram realize the other is a dimensional vagabond?🤔

gsdx-20211124131549.pnggsdx-20211124131610.png

A new scene not in the GBA versions, a "dream" Ingram has. Not entirely sure who shadow boy is, but given the same attire as Ingram, Cobray?

Exactly why would the inheritor of the Time Diver title want to arrive in the OGverse? It comes off as ironic, Ingram tried possessing Cobray in Alpha 3 to stay existing from what I read, and now the shoe is on the other foot. Cobray wants something out of Ingram- "break the shackles" he said. The "ones I met in the other world", the "other factors", what and who are they? Is he needing the Alpha 3 original cast to come together to manifest himself in the OGverse? Does Cobray need Ingram to die, to be freed of Euzeth, for OG Ghost Ingram to try possessing Cobray's OG self to replicate what happened to him the older dimension, so Alphaverse Cobray can then possess OGverse Cobray, so it ends up being Cobray having to resist the influence of Cobray?

3rd OG is surely just beyond the horizon, it ought -to after more than a decade of waiting- explain what exactly he means here.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

41 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I remember this guy had some bad blood with Wendolo, so "vagrants" must be alluding to the future arrival of the Inspectors. Technically on the same side, but not exactly friendly.

I think he was referring to the Balmary here. Honestly, I think it used to be a most-accepted theory that the Balmarians in OG weren't... quite up to par with their previous selves shown in Shin and Alpha. OG1 lacked Laodeccia, they sent a Neviim already to attack Earth, had to use captured Earthlings to pilot their mechas instead of their own men, etc. Granted, it could be all planned by Euzzeth to change the approach, aware of how things went in Sakusen, Spirits, Shin, and Alpha. Nibhal's words could be part of that, considering...

Spoiler

He is ultimately revealed to be working for Euzzeth in 2nd OG.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 hours ago, Father Shrimpas said:

You ofc

Hurray!

Some stuff didn't use same universe pre established Terms, Text in CGs wasn't translated, stuff like that

Right. Well, guess I'll use the patch. If only for the prettier text.

9 hours ago, Father Shrimpas said:

MONEY ALL OF MY YES I CAN BUY HEARTSEALS NOW!

I wish I had money.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Best unit alert! Best unit alert!

4t190Xn.png
Look at this, in chapter 18. Isn’t she beautiful?

gHmo3sx.png
Let’s go! Est type units are the best.

…by which I mean Nino, because she’s really the only character other than Est in the FEs I’ve played that meets all the criteria. And only barely, but she’s fun to use. I will now poor all of the exp into Est.

I've never used Est. I've used a lot of Est types, but never Est herself. Probably because pegasus knights are not units I like on average.

And on a completely unrelated note, are prepromotes just horribly bad in this game? Thinking back on it, the only one who has been any good was Wendell, and he’s Wendell. Wolf and Sedgar are growth units, so they don’t really count, and I don’t know how well Jagen does in this game. 

The pros will tell you you just have to give Jagen a forced ridersbane and he lasts the entire game.

I've never understood why not just give it to a unit with better stats after Jagen falls off, because even as far as Jeigans go, Jagen's stats are super low. Instant draco access gives him a niche, but once people start promoting there's not much reason to keep him around that I can see.

Anyway, prepromotes in this game are kinda assy, yeah. It's a little bit better in New Mystery. There are some good and even great prepromotes, even if plenty of them are the worst units in the game.

But I think, at this point, I can come to the conclusion that prepromotes got the short end of the stick in Shadow Dragon—

r9gH9c5.png
Well. Alright then.

Heh. Someone's eating his own words. I tend to replace Wendell with Etzel when he joins. His speed is lower, but by that point I'd rather have the magic. And the monocle.

Good to know.

Wait, I just booted up Steam and Cold Steels I-III are all half off!

…Looks like I’m buying them. And not Steins;Gate as a result. Forgive me Shrimpy.

Oh boy. Well, I hope you enjoy the Rean Saga. I've heard many great things about it.

7 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Man, I completely forgot about Nyx.

Nyx is... I want to like her, she's a unique and interesting character idea, but her outfit is... A problem.

7 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

That's the fun part of returning to Fates for me is that there's always that one character I forgot the existence of.

The fun part of returning to Fates for me is saying "okay I'm going to use this guy and that guy in this run" and then in the lategame I find myself using 6 captured enemies instead.

7 hours ago, Sooks said:

Oh hey, Tiki is underleveled. Is she any good trained up in this game?

No.

2 hours ago, Father Shrimpas said:

....that's ballsy, considering you didn't even finish Ao yet...

Well, hopefully you enjoy them.

I mean, I think I’ll like them. They can’t be that bad, right?

…Maybe it was just a liiiiittle ballsy. Oh well, we’ll see.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The pros will tell you you just have to give Jagen a forced ridersbane and he lasts the entire game.

But everyone else can OHKO cavs and paladins with ridersbanes.

Oh boy. Well, I hope you enjoy the Rean Saga. I've heard many great things about it.

I hope you enjoy Steins;Gate, I’ve actually heard many great things about it.

No.

But why does she join at level 1 when the game is basically over if she isn’t an Est? Why fe11?

11 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

you-poor-thing-poor-fellow.gif

Well, in the bright side, first there’s Azure! Which, iirc, you think is the second best Trails game despite it being where bonding “takes over”. I think that’s the Shrimpy take, anyway.

Man, having Nichol for this map is so nice. Two Camillas means I can actually try to kill Takumi now and make the end of the map not hell.

Also, every time I play Conquest I tell myself "okay, this is the one, this is the run where I don't use Haitaka and instead use other units", but then Haitaka is epic again and I can't not use him.

14 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I mean, I think I’ll like them. They can’t be that bad, right?

I just want to point out that this is more or less what I thought when I purchased Three Houses on day one.

But everyone else can OHKO cavs and paladins with ridersbanes.

Yeah, but Jagen I guess. To be fair, early on he actually is a better option for it, since he flies. But once people start promoting, he becomes redundant.

I hope you enjoy Steins;Gate, I’ve actually heard many great things about it.

So do I, and so have I.

But why does she join at level 1 when the game is basically over if she isn’t an Est? Why fe11?

DSFE handles dragons awfully. One of the things the original Mystery does better than both remakes... Though Old Mystery book 1's difficulty is so braindead that dragons being rad hardly matters. You know how I keep complaining about the UI of Old Mystery? I was able to coast through book 1 (well, until I got bored of it) without even understanding the numbers. The game was that easy.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Which, iirc, you think is the second best Trails game

Noooooooope

Sky SC best and Sky3rd 2nd best imo

Well, i am enjoying Rev, so who knows you might like Rean saga after all

Edited by Father Shrimpas

'Morning!

Yakuza 0 is 75% off, and Like A Dragon is 40%!

...Also, if anyone is interested in Dark Souls Remastered, it is also 50% off. Normally I'd not mention it since I don't think anyone here's particularly interested, but this game practically never goes on sale, whereas DSII and III do.

Ooh, Sekiro's on sale too? I just might invest into that, even if it's still quite pricey.

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I just want to point out that this is more or less what I thought when I purchased Three Houses on day one.

But did you buy Three Houses ON SALE?

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

DSFE handles dragons awfully.

Will I get more dragon stones then just the one she starts with or is she just Fae?

20 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Sky3rd 2nd best imo

Huh. Interesting.